PDA

View Full Version : suggestion: spell sets

relik_arkane
04-16-2008, 04:28 PM
Alright, will be brief. Here is what I would like to see most in the game: spell sets. meaning I would like to be able to use some or all of the weapon set slots for spell sets. example: say I want to set up firewall with maximize and extend without having to select each metamagic feat prior to casting the spell. Drag firewall onto a slot and then stack maximize and extend on top of it. I think this would be an excellent upgrade and I know many more players would appreciate it as well. This upgrade would prove useful to any spell casting class and I believe it would only enhance the playing experience. Thank you for your time / response / input! (also, with the volume of posts on this section of forums it is entirely possible that I missed one pertaining to this concept... if so please let me know where I can go to check it out)

jkm
04-16-2008, 04:48 PM
i sent eladrin a mockup of a couple of things that i'd like to see...

1. a screen that would allow you to override metamagics on spells. this way even if the metamagic was toggled on, it wouldn't affect the particular spell.

2. a screen that allowed you to "mix" a custom spell with certain metamagics that you could drag to your toolbar. so you could have an extended empowered maximized firewall right next to a maximized firewall and cast them regardless of what metamagics are toggled.

i didn't get any feedback so i stopped there, i was also thinking of the following things...

3. spell chains - you assemble a chain of spells that you would like to quickly cast (haste and displacement for example) and it would cast them like an autoattack sequence

4. contingencies - you assemble a chain of spells with conditions that either uses a spell slot, a feat, or an enhancement chain.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-16-2008, 04:58 PM
Op your suggestion is a good one, and one that gets raised every couple months. I think few players oppose it, unfortunatley we don't seem to have made any progress to this point :(

Dariuss
04-16-2008, 05:28 PM
yeah i fully support it too

especially contingency spells which i hadn't thought of until now but that would be really neat

the only thing is, for fairness, if you have a 'spell set', say a maximized firewall, your casting time shoudl be longer than for a normal firewall.

BlueLightBandit
04-16-2008, 06:06 PM
yeah i fully support it too

especially contingency spells which i hadn't thought of until now but that would be really neat

the only thing is, for fairness, if you have a 'spell set', say a maximized firewall, your casting time shoudl be longer than for a normal firewall.

Make it the same as it would normally take to turn Maximize on, and then cast the firewall. If you add Extend, then it would take as long as it would to turn Extend on, then turnn Maximize on, then cast the spell.

Falco_Easts
04-16-2008, 06:25 PM
Good idea

Tyrande
04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
Second.

I like the idea of contingencies.

For example, you can store the spell contingencies in an item like a ring which has 3 or 4 action slots.
If your hit points is say, below 10%,
cat quickened stoneskin, quickended displacement in a chain.

Say, you're fighting the pit fiend and your hit points is below 10%,
you cast a contingency chain which consists of echo in the chat "Cleric - please heal ASAP! Dying!" (if not cleric) +
quickened quaff a cure serious potion or if you're a cleric - quickened heal +
quickened protection from fire and quickened fire resist.

If the feat twin spell is supported, more actions can be placed into the item.

QuantumFX
04-16-2008, 07:20 PM
I think the most daunting aspect of this would be the UI. If I remeber correctly NWN only allowing one metamagic effect at a time because of this very issue.

Mindspat
04-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I agree with the OP.

Falco_Easts
04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Second.

I like the idea of contingencies.

For example, you can store the spell contingencies in an item like a ring which has 3 or 4 action slots.
If your hit points is say, below 10%,
cat quickened stoneskin, quickended displacement in a chain.

Say, you're fighting the pit fiend and your hit points is below 10%,
you cast a contingency chain which consists of echo in the chat "Cleric - please heal ASAP! Dying!" (if not cleric) +
quickened quaff a cure serious potion or if you're a cleric - quickened heal +
quickened protection from fire and quickened fire resist.

I like the idea of contingency's but just curious, how do you "quickened quaff a cure serious potion"? :)

Jadeare
04-17-2008, 02:00 AM
I would like a contingency to take me into shroud 1, use my W/P on mobs, switch to my maiming for the portals, follow the group around, wand whip csw when i need topping off, Heal scroll tanks if they get below 30%, make witty comments at appropriate times and loot the chest at the end.

I would be doing productive things during this time like dulling my playing skills and making a cup of tea.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-17-2008, 06:17 AM

Not really. The PnP rules for Wizards would have it take the same time. For sorc metas should always take longer than no metas unless you have the feat to allow you to preprepare and then it should take the same time.

Even in game meta always on doesn't take longer so Im not sure of the logic of your suggestion for spell sets.

You might as well suggest it takes longer to load 2 weapons so weapon sets should take longer to equip than a single weapon.

Tyrande
04-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Second.

[...]

Believe the item is called a "Sequencer".

Oh yeah, you cannot quickened quaff a potion, unless its a spell. :D

Master_of_None
04-17-2008, 01:36 PM
I was one of the ones who put up a thread on this a little while ago, but got little response. I'm still all for it, at least the original idea of being able to combine spells and metamagics like a weapon slot. Even if it were limited to one meta per spell, it would be a help. The contingency thing, I'm not too sure about.

Hope your thread gets more love than I did. :)