PDA

View Full Version : Pit Fiend the Way It's Meant to Be

Draiden
04-15-2008, 12:09 AM
With all the talk about the raid and whatnot, just wanted to throw my 2cp in the pot. It can still be done, even on elite ... and it was a BLAST.

Note: Included a shot of the pit fiend in action

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii255/jsmith991/ScreenShot00010.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii255/jsmith991/ScreenShot00008.jpg

The "wish you were here" was actually for a postcard sent to a guildie who is taking a break from ddo... fyi.

Forthe
04-15-2008, 12:19 AM
Congrats!

-Fortherian

xxblade12
04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Congratz bro must of been a fun battle

sirgog
04-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Grats!

Nice to see someone else using Fire Shield scrolls to survive against that mongrel - thought I was the only one that appreciated their power in there.

smatt
04-15-2008, 01:59 AM
Nice job!

[gulp]

Nataichal
04-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Think the key word is 'bothered'. The Shroud is such a grindfest, people look for any way they can to shorten the torture.

Of course, with that party, I wouldn't really say they 'fought' the pit fiend. More like turned on auto attack, watched some TV, and hit manyshot every 2 min.

I love rangers.

Thrudh
04-15-2008, 06:48 AM
Heh, yeah I want to see some more posts about how rangers suck, and barbarians rule...

Wonder how much healing it would have cost to keep 6 barbarians up during an elite fight with the pit fiend as opposed to 1 barbarian and 5 rangers...

Theboz
04-15-2008, 07:23 AM
Ill say they have their group is perfectly set up. All you need is just one or two barbs and one caster and the res clerics and rangers

Part 4 is the hardest part of the shroud, only because if you die there is no coming back.

Part 5 is easy, we have done part 5 with no deaths quite a few times(bug) free

Yaga_Nub
04-15-2008, 07:38 AM
Ill say they have their group is perfectly set up. All you need is just one or two barbs and one caster and the res clerics and rangers

Part 4 is the hardest part of the shroud, only because if you die there is no coming back.

Part 5 is easy, we have done part 5 with no deaths quite a few times(bug) free

All you really need is 12 rangers.

11 rangers and 1 cleric isn't bad.

10 rangers, 1 cleric and 1 sorc/wiz for dancing balls and haste is better.

10 rangers, 1 cleric and 1 warchanter bard for buffs, haste and possibly dancing ball is best. :)

Cedrica-the-Bard
04-15-2008, 07:40 AM
Well, I love Rangers. I have a strength-based Tempest and on this quest, I use my bow. It just makes sense to range him. On my Warchanter, I use returning axes (transmuting of pure good), on my Rogue I use returning daggers, on my Pally I use returning axes, on my Spellsinger I help heal.

However, while ranging him and kiting him back and forth across the big room IS the easiest way to take him down in order to require less healing, it's just not how most characters are built. All of my characters that range him would help drop him faster if they were in melee, but it just isn't worth it. My Pally is the only one of those characters who gets healed. Understandable, parts 4 and 5 are pretty stressful on the Clerics, healing based on the Icon is not something I can fault them for. My throwing weapons do an average of 20 damage a pop (35-45 for my Ranger with the bow), so that's pretty decent. I can contribute to hurting him while allowing the clerics a breather by not having to heal yet another "tank". Fine by me, just takes a little longer is all.

But isn't it a bit much to ask of fighters, barbarians and pallies to attempt to range the guy? Yes, I went out and bought ranged weapons to fight him. But for a Barbarian to do that? Well, it just seems silly to me. It kinda is irritating when quests lend themselves to a certain class. Mostly Rangers, in this case, make the Shroud a breeze. That's a bit unfair to everyone else unless they adjust their kits and playstyle and even then contribute less than they could. Reminds me of Ghosts of Perdition, 95% of Lfms wanting Clerics, Wizards or Sorcerors. Nothing else. That boils me. And this is starting to bother me a little too. :(

While it's nice to finally see a some Ranger love from "the star", I hope people don't decide to specifically start ruling out other classes who can't compete due to being melee-only in parts 4 and 5 and are considered "mana sponges".

Perhaps in a tank heavy group, the best strategy is to send one or two tanks in at a time to have a go at him. Will take forever but at least the group survives, the Cleric isn't as stressed out and he will go down eventually. What's he got anyway? 10,000 HP? Huh... :rolleyes:

Josh
04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
You're teh ubborz.

Aspenor
04-15-2008, 09:16 AM
Gratz on the win!!!

smatt
04-15-2008, 09:32 AM

10 rangers, 1 cleric and 1 warchanter bard for buffs, haste and possibly dancing ball is best. :)

Now, see this is funny.. You don't NEED any special group to beat it.... It's not that hard, yes it is a grind, a long one..... But this idea that you NEED certain classes to do things easily is kind of funny..... Sure the ideal party make-up makes things easier..... Much more rewarding to do things on the fly with what you've got though... THEN it's a challenge :D

I give them props for going in and going against the grain!

Litz
04-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Congratz can I get the secret formula PM'd to me?

Yaga_Nub
04-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Now, see this is funny.. You don't NEED any special group to beat it.... It's not that hard, yes it is a grind, a long one..... But this idea that you NEED certain classes to do things easily is kind of funny..... Sure the ideal party make-up makes things easier..... Much more rewarding to do things on the fly with what you've got though... THEN it's a challenge :D

Of course you don't need anything per se. Read the post above mine. The person said all you need is XXXX and I responded with all you need is XXXX. I too could have just as easily said, " You don't NEED any special group..." but that would have been a boring reply.

ChildrenofBodom
04-15-2008, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the words of wisdom for the day. :rolleyes:

smatt
04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Of course you don't need anything per se. Read the post above mine. The person said all you need is XXXX and I responded with all you need is XXXX. I too could have just as easily said, " You don't NEED any special group..." but that would have been a boring reply.

And it was :D

Draiden
04-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Congratz can I get the secret formula PM'd to me?

Secret formula? lol

Nuckin
04-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Congrats guys :) nice work but of course it was a lil easier due to ur ranger heavy party :) but good job none the less and just curious how many heal scrolls did u guys go thru total? :p

Talon_Moonshadow
04-15-2008, 05:36 PM

I taunt the Pitfiend and beg him to throw fireballs my way!
I dance in Velah's breath and offer him a mint.
I stand in the DQ's blades and tell her how it tickles.
I look Doomsphere in the eye and ask "is that the best you can do?"

Ranger's rock!

(of course, I'm only half a ranger and usually all their minions just bumm rush me and have their way with me. :( But not the bosses! no. no!)

smatt
04-15-2008, 05:40 PM
I taunt the Pitfiend and beg him to throw fireballs my way!
I dance in Velah's breath and offer him a mint.
I stand in the DQ's blades and tell her how it tickles.
I look Doomsphere in the eye and ask "is that the best you can do?"

Ranger's rock!

(of course, I'm only half a ranger and usually all their minions just bumm rush me and have their way with me. :( But not the bosses! no. no!)

Ha ha nice :D

Draiden
04-16-2008, 02:14 AM
Congrats guys :) nice work but of course it was a lil easier due to ur ranger heavy party :) but good job none the less and just curious how many heal scrolls did u guys go thru total? :p

We went through about 400 heal scrolls, and 100 cure mod mass. For mana pots... I think I remember 5

Shade
04-17-2008, 05:48 AM
Grats.

Far as party makeup goes, I would say you have never tried it on elite if you think the healing required for (phase 5) a heavy-barbarian party doing it in 20 minuits is worse then what this or any mostly-ranger group might do it in.. Let me guess, 40+ mins, or perhaps 2 hours as another group claimed..

Fact is everyone takes damage all the time regardless of class - thus the amount of healing used is directly porportional to how long the battle takes. There's there things called meteor swarms, delayed blast fireballs and shavarath blades all over the place, so if you don't have melee keeping him still - your taking ranged dmg, plain and simple - the whole party is taking the damage infact.. Versus solid melee blocking him in - the only dmg is the odd blade.

And I did it with enough different party makeups to know this, tons of rangers, tons of barbarians, tons of fighters, you name it.. completed it on elite tonight on my sorc who I usually don't take but it was fun for a change, after doing it with my barbarians a dozen times or so.

Heck on several runs I saw a ranger - using a bow.. Die more often then the barbarians tanking him.

Doing elite well is about having good elite players, not players worried about healing requirements.

jjflanigan
04-17-2008, 07:42 AM
Grats.

Far as party makeup goes, I would say you have never tried it on elite if you think the healing required for (phase 5) a heavy-barbarian party doing it in 20 minuits is worse then what this or any mostly-ranger group might do it in.. Let me guess, 40+ mins, or perhaps 2 hours as another group claimed..

Fact is everyone takes damage all the time regardless of class - thus the amount of healing used is directly porportional to how long the battle takes. There's there things called meteor swarms, delayed blast fireballs and shavarath blades all over the place, so if you don't have melee keeping him still - your taking ranged dmg, plain and simple - the whole party is taking the damage infact.. Versus solid melee blocking him in - the only dmg is the odd blade.

And I did it with enough different party makeups to know this, tons of rangers, tons of barbarians, tons of fighters, you name it.. completed it on elite tonight on my sorc who I usually don't take but it was fun for a change, after doing it with my barbarians a dozen times or so.

Heck on several runs I saw a ranger - using a bow.. Die more often then the barbarians tanking him.

Doing elite well is about having good elite players, not players worried about healing requirements.

Sorry, but that is flat out wrong. If you position yourself properly and pay attention you can take next to 0 damage ranging him. I know, I did. With a high reflex save and evasion, coupled with the ability to notice the blades, it's a very simple matter for a ranged character to avoid almost all damage in that phase. I think I was healed a total of 220hp during the entire phase.

maddmatt70
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
It is really about time for me. The heavy ranged groups just takes alot longer and this has everything to do with the pit fiend running around. If you have at least 3 melee (3 is enough to box the pit fiend in) on the pit fiend and the healers keep those 3 melee up the whole time part 5 doesn't take long at all. If you have less then 3 melee or one of the melee dies especially earlier on it starts taking alot longer because the pit fiend moves around all over the place - this reduces the ranged chars and melee chars damage; hence it takes significantly longer. I have run both melee and ranged chars in there so I know what I am taking about. My recommendation for party makeup is actually to have 4 melee that way if one dies and has to sit out for a bit you still have enough to box him in.

Shade
04-18-2008, 04:20 PM
it's a very simple matter for a ranged character to avoid almost all damage in that phase.
If you wanna quote something wrong there you go. The words very simple and phase 5 shroud elite don't mix in any way. It's a very tough encounter no matter how you do it. Most players can infact not avoid the blades and pit fiend so well.

While a ranger shooting while melee's hold the agro does make it easy to avoid the pit fiends agro and dmg, if you got all rangers shooting - hes just running around like mad and people ARE getting hurt - maybe not you, but many are.

jjflanigan
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
If you wanna quote something wrong there you go. The words very simple and phase 5 shroud elite don't mix in any way. It's a very tough encounter no matter how you do it. Most players can infact not avoid the blades and pit fiend so well.

While a ranger shooting while melee's hold the agro does make it easy to avoid the pit fiends agro and dmg, if you got all rangers shooting - hes just running around like mad and people ARE getting hurt - maybe not you, but many are.

That's not true either, I'm sorry that you are unable to perform the task in this manner, but that doesn't make it less of a reality. It's actually QUITE simple to control where he goes when you split up the ranged attacks. He does not run around like mad at all, it's absolutely predictable. Additionally, the blades are also able to be avoided as long as you pay attention. I know you are all about the barbarian brute-force style, but you do yourself (and people who read your posts) a huge disservice when you dismiss things just because you cannot do them.

Shade
04-27-2008, 09:16 AM
First off personal attacks do not belong here, just put me on ignore if you don't like my posts thanks.

2nd, how can I know if I can perform something if I have never tried it. Like you said, I have no ranged character, much less bring one in there to attempt it.

My post is simple stating that the fight is xtremely challenging no matter which way you tackle it - its a props to the OP for pulling it off.

If you can do it with no heals on your ranger at all, congrats, good for you. I'm simple stating most rangers I see in there simply cannot do that, so your better then them, good for you your pro at pit fiend elite. Group i've run with whenever the pit fiend was disengaged from melee - he ran around and non melee players did indeed die, it happens.. Perhaps you have some tricks to prevent him doing it, good for you.

Something that's easy for you does not make it easy for most players, thats the disservice being done to players in this post that you are doing yourself.

Better then me? Well like I said I have made no attempt at doin it ranged so better then nothing isn't that impressive.

So yea, stop insulting the OP and calling the task "simple" when it plain isn't. Grats to the OP for pulling off something that is NOT simple.