PDA

View Full Version : Skill Enhancements

Deriaz
04-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Was thinking about this the other day, during Ritual Sacrifice to get myself Shroud flagged (*Insert comments about wanting different Green Steel items here. Now continuing on.*).

Sorcerers, and Wizards too I believe, get Enhancements based on what kind of metamagic they have, right? Basically, it lowers the SP cost if you've got the Enhancement--at least, that's how I understand it to work.

So, I'm sitting there Intimidating when all of a sudden I realized that that would be awesome to have for those kinds of skills. Made a note to suggest it here, and, uh, here I am.

This is how it works:

Either a 1 - 2 - 3 progression, or 2 - 4 -6 (I'm thinking 2 - 4 - 6.), you get enhancements that will lower the timer on certain skills like Intimidate, Diplomacy, Bluff (Is that it? Think that is.). Basically, any skill, listed in the character sheet screen, would have an enhancement to lower the timer that makes you wait until you can reselect the skill--provided that the skill actually needs a timer.

I might not be making much sense, so how about this?

Improved Intimidate I
Cost: 2 Action Point
Prereqs: Character Level 5
Effect: Lowers the timer to re-activate Intimidate by 1 second, bringing it down to 9 seconds.

Improved Intimidate II
Cost: 4 Action Point
Prereqs: Character Level 10, Improved Intimidate I
Effect: Lowers the timer to re-activate Intimidate by 2 seconds total, bringing it down to 8 seconds.

Improved Intimidate III
Cost: 6 Action Point
Prereqs: Character Level 15, Improved Intimidate II
Effect: Lowers the timer to re-activate Intimidate by 3 seconds total, bringing it down to 7 seconds.

(I think they need better names, like. . . Like. . . "Bully", "Bully II", "Bully III". . . Or something.)

I think that would be the furthest it should go, as Intimidate lasts for 6 seconds. A bit much to be able to grab all the Enhancements, and then never have to worry about losing aggro (Unless you fail to Intimidate, of course.) Hoping I've got those times right, as well.

These Enhancements would be available for Diplomacy and Bluff as well. Probably not as widely used, as I don't see it often, but I'm sure some people out there would be willing to spend Action Points on it.

Any comments are welcome, both opposed and for, and any suggestions on how to improve on it is very, very welcome. :3

(Disclaimer: Apologies for anything not explained clearly. Verbal explanations are not my forte.)

-D

Angelus_dead
04-15-2008, 12:14 AM
Either a 1 - 2 - 3 progression, or 2 - 4 -6 (I'm thinking 2 - 4 - 6.), you get enhancements that will lower the timer on certain skills like Intimidate, Diplomacy, Bluff (Is that it? Think that is.). Basically, any skill, listed in the character sheet screen, would have an enhancement to lower the timer that makes you wait until you can reselect the skill--provided that the skill actually needs a timer.

The better way to achieve such a thing is something like
Fighter Extended Intimidate I- your Intimidate lasts 25% longer.

That change achieves the same overall effect of allowing the player to intimidate monsters for a bigger percentage of the time, but allows him to continue pressing the icon at the same rate he always did (rather than being forced to hit it faster and faster)

Deriaz
04-15-2008, 06:47 AM
The better way to achieve such a thing is something like
Fighter Extended Intimidate I- your Intimidate lasts 25% longer.

That change achieves the same overall effect of allowing the player to intimidate monsters for a bigger percentage of the time, but allows him to continue pressing the icon at the same rate he always did (rather than being forced to hit it faster and faster)

Hm, never considered the percentage longer effect. Never even crossed my mind.

Yeah, I could see how that could be better. Don't have to learn a new timer, no fear of breaking your keyboard button from pushing it more often (If you've got a flimsy keyboard, that is. :p), etc.

-D

WeiQuinn
04-15-2008, 07:07 AM
Since I play a lot of Ranger type characters, I was thinking that something like this would be good for Manyshot, but realized that is a feat and not a skill...

I don't want to derail your thread, so I'll just say that I agree with the premise of your idea.

Deriaz
04-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Since I play a lot of Ranger type characters, I was thinking that something like this would be good for Manyshot, but realized that is a feat and not a skill...

I don't want to derail your thread, so I'll just say that I agree with the premise of your idea.

Y'know, for feats, I won't argue there--it'd be useful. But. . . How many feats have cooldowns like that, or have certain time limits that they last? I dunno if it's a lot, but if it is, it might be overwhelming to add them all in at once.

Skills added first would be cool, but I could definitely agree to something like this for Manyshot (As I know I've seen and heard a few people complaining about how it's short and needs to be longer, or just a stance you can toggle.), or any other similar feat. Start off slow is what I'm thinking, though.

-D