PDA

View Full Version : Ranger/Pally/Fighter Mix

cyadra
04-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Since, like the rest of you, I am waiting for the new module I was toying with this stupid idea. A Ranger/Pally/Fighter Mix for groups. Just for laughs...

Human

Ranger-Levels 1,5,10,15 (first level for favored enemy)
Fighter-Levels with feats 2,4,8,12,14,16
Pally-Levels 3,6,7,9,11,13 (just cause I dont like Barbs and wanted some healing power)

Anyone insane enough to try this but me? Just wondering.

krud
04-14-2008, 09:06 AM
my 2cp. (which after platflation is more like 0.5cp)

I'm not sure how much more healing power you'll get with the 6 pally levels. I would think 2 or 3 would be enough to get most of the benefits you need out of your pally levels. You might loose some hp if you take more ranger levels, but if you take 9 levels you at least get evasion, resist energies, and barkskin, without loosing too much from having fewer pally levels.

maddmatt70
04-14-2008, 03:47 PM
Since, like the rest of you, I am waiting for the new module I was toying with this stupid idea. A Ranger/Pally/Fighter Mix for groups. Just for laughs...

Human

Ranger-Levels 1,5,10,15 (first level for favored enemy)
Fighter-Levels with feats 2,4,8,12,14,16
Pally-Levels 3,6,7,9,11,13 (just cause I dont like Barbs and wanted some healing power)

Anyone insane enough to try this but me? Just wondering.

Yeah I would go with 6 or 9 ranger levels personnaly and unless you really like the new upcoming low level pally enhancment which I personnaly dont only 2-4 pally levels. The fighter can be 4, 6, or 8.

Shyver
04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah I would go with 6 or 9 ranger levels personnaly and unless you really like the new upcoming low level pally enhancment which I personnaly dont only 2-4 pally levels. The fighter can be 4, 6, or 8.

Agree with MaddMatt here. If you are splashing the best break points are:

Ranger
2 lvls: Bow strength, rapid shot, 2-wpn fighting
6 lvls: imp. 2 wpn-fighting, Tempest enhancement, Manyshot
9 lvls: 20 pt resists, evasion
11 lvls: precise shot, imp. precise shot, greater 2 wpn-fighting, 30 pt resists

Paladin
2 lvls: Divine Grace, Lay on Hands (questionable due to worth at higher lvls with only 2 lvls of paladin, but a lvl 2 option none the less)
3 lvls: Divine Health, Fear Immunity

Fighter
1 lvl: Extra Feat, Tower Shield Prof.
*extra feat for every even numbered fighter lvl

Rogue
2 lvls: Evasion, Skill points

Barbarian
1 lvl: Rage, Faster movement

Couple of ideas:

Ranger 11/Paladin 3/Fighter 2
Ranger 9/Fighter 4/Paladin 3
Fighter 10/Paladin 3/Rogue 3 <-------original I know :rolleyes:
Fighter 8/Ranger 6/Rogue 2

And really the list coulld go on and on....................:eek::D

Tanka
04-16-2008, 11:16 AM
Barbarian 12/Paladin 2/Rogue 2
Let's try this again, shall we?

(If you can't figure it out, look at the alignment requirements for just a moment.)

Blazer
04-16-2008, 11:33 AM

(If you can't figure it out, look at the alignment requirements for just a moment.)

LOL. What? Pally/barb hybrids aren't the wave of the future? :)

Shyver
04-16-2008, 11:58 AM

See that's what happens when the kids are yelling in your ear that they are hungry. :D
I'll go back and remove that one.

EinarMal
04-16-2008, 12:15 PM
Since most full BAB classes are front loaded these kind of mixes will actually be pretty good. You don't lose that much by stopping at lower levels compared to casters.

Ranger is probably the one that takes the longest to come together. Personally I would tend to take it to Ranger 11, since you get GTWF and 30 pt. resists.

So I would go Ranger 11/Pally 3/Fighter 2, or if you want to even them out a bit more then Ranger 9/Pally 3/Fighter 4. The thing is though Fighter 4 gets you another feat, but you get more by going from Ranger 9 to Ranger 11.

So to me the builds that make the most sense are

Evasion Build:

Non-Evasion Build:
Ranger 6/Paladin 2/Fighter 8

Both of the above builds would make very good Human/Dwarf strength based TWF builds. I would tend to go with the evasion more Ranger one personally for a Dwarf, and maybe the Fighter one for Human due to hit point issues.

maddmatt70
04-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Since most full BAB classes are front loaded these kind of mixes will actually be pretty good. You don't lose that much by stopping at lower levels compared to casters.

Ranger is probably the one that takes the longest to come together. Personally I would tend to take it to Ranger 11, since you get GTWF and 30 pt. resists.

So I would go Ranger 11/Pally 3/Fighter 2, or if you want to even them out a bit more then Ranger 9/Pally 3/Fighter 4. The thing is though Fighter 4 gets you another feat, but you get more by going from Ranger 9 to Ranger 11.

So to me the builds that make the most sense are

Evasion Build:

Non-Evasion Build:
Ranger 6/Paladin 2/Fighter 8

Both of the above builds would make very good Human/Dwarf strength based TWF builds. I would tend to go with the evasion more Ranger one personally for a Dwarf, and maybe the Fighter one for Human due to hit point issues.

Weapon specialization, fighter haste boost 2 and fighter toughness 2 all are available with fighter 4 vs. another favored enemy for ranger 11, 30 pt resists, and another twf feat relatively close if you ask me.

Gunga
04-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Very funny you started this thread. I started mine last night...8/6/2 Paladin/Ranger/Fighter. I had to work him up a few times, I'll let the math geniuses figure out why i went with this config. ;)

Desteria
04-16-2008, 03:53 PM
fighter 12 beacuse hey the cap was 12 and it got gtr wpn spec, and the tactic stuff
Cap goes up to 14 hum one mroe feat really does nothign for you but hey 2-3 pally levels could give you a lot well no save bonuc really since hey your a 6 cha dwarf but still teh fear/desise imune and a baby aura nice.
OK now your level 15 got all you need out fo pally 1 ftr levle does nothign fro you 1 pally level nothing really btu HEY look 1 ranger level and wow Bow str and a tone of skill points cool

Any now you have Mcgruf my tank he works well for havign originaly only been planned to level 12.

Looking to the future most likly taking 4 more ranger levels for a second favored enimy cause hey it's some nice little bonuses, and for Rams Might ... this plan coudl change if they ever introduce Ftr Ap's above level 12 that are worth workgin to and you can get to after spening 4 other levels.

DelScorcho
04-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I've thought about this build as a dwarf strength, but I leveled it 11Rr/3 Pally/2F.

11 Rr for evasion, Tempest, G2WF and +4 barks
3 Pally for Disease + Fear Immunity and bonus to saves and AC
2 Fighter for the additional 2 feats and Str enhancement
Dwarf for hitpoints and armor bonus

I'd go

Str 17 +4 level, +1 enh +2 tome +6 item = 30
Dex 15 +3 enh, +2 tome, +6 item = 26
Con 15 +2 enh, +1 tome +6 item = 24 Con (26 with +3 tome)
Int 8 = its ok to be stupid when you can attack so well
Wis 8 +2tome, +6 item= 16
Char 12+1 enhancement, +1 tome, +6 item = 20 (+5 to saves)

Dump in a +2 tome to get Dex bonus to hit greater 2WF (well actually I'd dump in a whole lot of +2 tomes)

The strength would be up to 30 at level 16 (32 with 11 minute rams Might)

8 feats to play with, 3 of which are for the Tempest feat, Probably would dual-wield Rapiers or Green Steel Kopeshes. Hitpoints can be respectable with dwarf platform.

VonBek
04-16-2008, 08:14 PM
Peabody fished this out of the way-back machine:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=125569

Tanka
04-16-2008, 10:42 PM

Rangers can be splash characters, though they get more and more benefits by staying pure.

Barbarians are the same way as well, coming together with Tireless Rage at L17 and DR5/- (Stonemeld with no armor) at L19.

Paladins would be that way, if they have more and better spells available to them.

Fighters have almost always been a splash class. In PnP, 2 levels of Fighter makes just about any build better (excluding most caster classes). It makes meeting the prereqs for a PrC so much easier.

Illuminati
04-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Rangers can be splash characters, though they get more and more benefits by staying pure.

Barbarians are the same way as well, coming together with Tireless Rage at L17 and DR5/- (Stonemeld with no armor) at L19.

Paladins would be that way, if they have more and better spells available to them.

Fighters have almost always been a splash class. In PnP, 2 levels of Fighter makes just about any build better (excluding most caster classes). It makes meeting the prereqs for a PrC so much easier.

Barbs get DR5/- at 14 in DDO, and Crit Rage II so its a definate level to hit.

12 Fighter is a tough sell, even for GWS.

EinarMal
04-17-2008, 01:43 PM

Barbarians are why I said most :) I also agree that Fighter is essentially a splash class in PnP and DDO, you take the levels you need to get all the feats you need typically 1-4.

I never liked Ranger 2 splash unless you are going for ranged, generally Fighter 2 is better as you can pick your two feats instead of getting TWF and a bunch of pretty useless bow feats.