PDA

View Full Version : New shield effects

LeLoric
04-10-2008, 02:29 AM
I was happy to see the shield effects increasing, Im sure they are already designed but Im bored and cant play till I get a new vid card tomorrow so here's some fun ideas

axe/hammer/spearblock-makes sense that shields could have some dr effects since they do that anyways when blocking

increased blocking dr-similar to the reaver shield although this may cause that shield to become less valuable

guard effects-makes no sense to me that armor has it and shields dont

daunting-increase to agro generated-for all you intimitanks out there

righteous-+2 ac vs evil

I would also like to see a power 5 set of shield effects kinda similar to our weapons they would have a high enchantment value so youd lose ac using these due to +5 not available yet.

Mirrored-chance to return a single target spell effect back at the caster.

Parrying-chance to deflect an attack

Paralyzing-similar to the weapon but triggers on target hitting you

Retaliation-returns 25% of physical dmg taken back to the attacker, you still take full dmg

Sturdy-50% chance to resist knockdown effects

I know all of these may not be balanced and need some twinking but just ideas love to hear more

Angelus_dead
04-10-2008, 02:42 AM
The obvious missing shield enhancement is Resist 30.

LeLoric
04-10-2008, 02:44 AM
hmmm pretty sure ive seen greater resist shields maybe not though as i usually skim over the resist ones cause their + is low in fact i skim over most shields unless they start out +5 mithral

oronisi
04-10-2008, 08:47 AM
The obvious missing shield enhancement is Resist 30.

-Resist 30 on shields
-I'd like to see GFL on both shields and armor
-Fearsome on a shield
-improved hammer/axe/spearblock on shield and armor if it isn't already
-I like the % to paralyze idea, same would go for banishment and disruption when hit while wearing the shield.
-Resistance on armor and shields
-Greater stability again, on both shields and armor

I see a lot of room for love in the armor and shield department. I always thought of weapons then armor as the big 1-2 punch in DnD gear. But it seems like armor is an afterthought to all the other stuff nowadays.

Crarites
04-10-2008, 08:53 AM
protection
parry
heighten awareness
dodge

you know how about some affects that increase AC.....

Kalanth
04-10-2008, 09:16 AM
I would love to see more named sheilds, like the Wrapped Tower, which is in the Libris Mortis and Item Compendium. Basically a Tower Shield wrapped in Mummies Wrappings, and causes fear on hit. There are some more effects, but those kinds of things would be nice to see.

Cinwulf
04-10-2008, 09:47 AM
Can't wait to see the new shield mods :)

Lorien_the_First_One
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm hoping they allow new combinations, like Sacred of Ghost Touch shields with lesser acid resist and power 1. That would be a really kool L14 shield!

Cinwulf
04-10-2008, 01:12 PM
I'm hoping they allow new combinations, like Sacred of Ghost Touch shields with lesser acid resist and power 1. That would be a really kool L14 shield!
LMAO :p that would be just my luck!

dejafu
04-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Some nice shield (and other armor) enhancement options from the Magic Item Compendium:

Anchoring (+1) and Greater (+2): provides a +5 (or +10) bonus to resist trip attacks

Blurring (+1): 5 round blur clickie (3/day)

Easy Travel (+15000 gp): Medium loads are treated as light loads

Freedom (+5): permanent Freedom of Movement effect

Ranged (+1): shield becomes a throwing/returning weapon (probably far too difficult to implement, but wouldn't it be fun? :D )

Styptic (+1): autostabalize while dying, 25% chance to avoid blood-draining Con attacks

woodspider
04-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Spell pen.
Potency.
Wizardry.

Torilin
04-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Its no wonder everyone is going to TWF these days, why not do extra dmg, most shields certainly dont help.

Making shields worth something, would be nice.

Depravity
04-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Playing around with an idea for a sword & board rogue/fighter combo - I'd like to see deception
A blurry shield could still distract opponents, so it makes sense to me.

Arrow catching - %chance to negate a ranged attack

Arrow (I forgets, attracting?) - pulls ranged attacks at other nearby party members to the shield bearer - great cover ability for your tank to protect the squishies. Also probably a bear to code.

Any of the guard effects would be great - damage or fearsome. Go ahead, hit me.

Weighted - shield bash for a % chance to stun. Better yet, a shield that does stunning blow (including touching off the timer to avoid cheapness).

Any CC effects that have a % to go off on a bash would be neat - web, blindness, small area fear burst, hold monster, etc.

Increased AC when actively blocking - let you turtle up while intimidating.

Anything that makes bashing a more useful tactic would be cool - maybe see more people changing up their tactics to blocking until they get an opening, throwing a bash to get mob of balance, and then attacking themselves.

QuantumFX
04-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Another worthy enhancement (that shouldn't be an enhancement but an actual part of the game...)

Greater shield of Bashing - Works as a bashing shield plus this enhancement allows a weilder with the Improved Shield bash feat to use a shield as an off hand weapon while retaining the AC bonus of the shield. Bucklers and light shields count as light weapons and heavy shields are considered heavy weapons. Tower shields cannot recieve this enhancement.

DNDJESS
04-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Parrying-chance to deflect an attack

I would like to see parrying added, period. Not as an effect, but as a character ability.

DasLurch
04-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I love the idea of adding mods that would make a "power 5" type of set up for shields. The ones I can sort of think up are...

Deflection, Improved, and Greater Deflection- stacks with protection and/or dodge

Fearsome- I am suprised that this isn't in game already

Status Immunity- Fear, Blind, Poison, and Disease immunity on one item

Improved and Greater Bashing- adds 3d6/5d6 damage in bashes

Potency- because it's on weapons and items already, and even some armor too

Parrying is another nice choice as well as the guard effects in my mind as well. I personally do not want to see more "clickie" effects added to shields. There's enough bogus mods around on them already to make the pool of good mods diluted as we are now.