PDA

View Full Version : The Stealth Battle Cleric. More than meets the Eye.

Impaqt
04-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Well, The Time has Come for me to Reroll Eyeam. I had a Great Time Soloing on him through about L12. Since then, hes been a back burner build for me. I capped him at 14, Made 15, Respeced his feats to THF, Got a +3 Wisdom Tome, +2 STR and CON Tomes, Lots of Raid Loot, and is still a lot of fun to play.... But I keep Going back to my more pure builds to Solo on in the Orchard and Vale. THe Holy Destroyer is a Fun Build to play when theres a Goal in Mind. Now that I acheived all those goals, I'd rather play my Tank, Rogue Builds, or Other Clerics. He had a Great Run... Things must move on.

On My original Human Cleric I created a Balanced Build... Transfered from one of my favorite PnP Builds. He is Quite effective in his Current Nullification speced feats/Enh and I play him a LOT still. Hes fun. He still has room for Improvement via raid Items, and overall his ability to Kill at Will is unrivaled in my other builds....... I wanted a Little more Melee capability in this build, but also wanted to Stay pure Cleric. And I didnt want to hurt his Wisdom potential in the Process for his Spell DC's.

The One thing that Bugs me on the Dwarf 15/1 Build is I still get people that assume I'm a "Battle Cleric" Which I guess he is... But I've never felt his healing capabilites were at all inferior to my Main "Pure" Cleric. His Wisdom is the same.... Hes actually got More Spell Points.... but that 1 level of Paly for some reason strikes fear in a lot of players hearts.... Weird....

So I came up with the Stealth Battle Cleric. :)

The Only Indication that some Brilliant players may notice on the build is that His Heal Scrolls wont hit for max. +20% rather than a Pure clerics +40% to Scrolls... Well.... A Few players might notice him mowing down Mobs with a Kopesh in between heals........

The Builds melee capabilites come from Longswords Early Via Soverign Host Enhancements and Kopeshes later inthe build I think these 2 weapons Work wonderfully together as a plan. and with IC: Slash at L12, theres never a need toget rid of those longswords if you dont want to replace them with Kopeshes. (And if so Desired, you could forego Kopeshes completely and use that feat slot for something like Empower Spell -Evil Grin- )

Overall, this build can go any way you point it.... Wanna Melee? Go AHead.... Wanna Offensive Cast? No Problem.... Wanna Relax sit back Heal, Buff and CC? Got that Too. Wanna Try to Do it all at once??? Well, If your a Twitch gamer, You can probobly even pull that off.

Level 16 Chaotic Good Human Male
(16 Cleric)
Hit Points: 286/302 + Temps
20 Heroic Durability
128 L16 Cleric
80 Con Bonus
10 Dragonic Vitality
---
238 Base HP's
18 Minos Legend
30 Greater False Life
---
286 Standingf HP's
16 Rage Potion
---

Spell Points: 1315
755 Base L16 Cleric
80 Magical Training
170 MT/IMT
110 EotZ
275 Wisdom bonus
100 PopX/magi
----
1490 (1590 w/ Tier 2 Shroud Item)

BAB: 12/12/17/22

12 BAB
4 Divine Power
6 STR Bonus
3 Avg Weapon
3 Divine Favor
--
+28 First Swing Self Buffed, Spells Only
+2 Heroism Potion
+1 Haste Potion
+1 Rage Potion
---
+32 First Swing with a Few Potions.
+36 to +40 First Swing w/ some Arcane/Bard Buffs.

Armor Class:
10 Base
13 +5 Mithral Full Plate
3 Dex Bonus
7 Heavy Mithral Sheild
--
33 AC Unbuffed
4/5 SoF/Protection Item
3/5 Natrual (BarkSkin)
---
40/43 Self Buffed.

Fortitude: 19
Reflex: 12
Will: 25

10/5/10 L16 Cleric Base
5/3/11 Attribute Bonus
4/4/4 Resistance Item
------
19/12/25
4/4/4 GH
2/2/2 Recitation
-------
25/18/31 Buffed

Starting Ending Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats w/Levels & Enh W/ Items
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 16) (Level 16)
Strength 14 16 22/24
{+1 Tome, +1 Human +6 Item +2 Rage Potion}
Dexterity 9 10 16
{+1 Tome +6 Item}
Constitution 14 14 20/22
{+6 Item +2 Rage Potion}
Intelligence 9 10 10/16 as needed for Runes
{+1 Tome, +6 Item as needed}
Wisdom 18 25 34
{+4 Levels +1 Human +2 Cleric +6Item +2 Tome}
Charisma 10 10 18
{+1 Tome +1 Clr Chr+6 Item}

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Strength used at level 1
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 1
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 1
+1 Tome of Charisma used at level 1
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 14

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 16)
Balance 0 7.5
Concentration 6 22
Diplomacy 4 19
Max Concentratin and Diplo at Creation. +1 Con, +1 Diplo, +.5 Balance Each Level

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Human Bonus) Extend Spell
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 2 (Cleric)

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh (Swap to Maximize Spell @L11)

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)

Level 6 (Cleric) Improved Mental Toughness
Feat: (Selected)

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Cleric)

Level 15 (Cleric) Spell Pennetration
Feat: (Selected)

Level 16 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV
Enhancement: Cleric Charisma I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom III
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality II
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand Mastery I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand Mastery II
Enhancement: Cleric Wand Mastery III
Enhancement: Cleric Wand Mastery IV

Drow Variant:
+1 INT, +1 CHR, and +2 WIsdom Tomes
Drop Kopesh Feat, Use Rapiers, Swap IC: Slash for IC: Pierce. Take Drow Rapier ENH Instead of H/V for Net +2 to Hit and -1 Spell DC's -24 Spell Points.

28Pt Human Variant: Drop WIS to 17, CHR to 9. 1 Les DC on Spells and 1 less DC. Take Spell Pen Enh instead of CHR bump.

Tigsen
04-09-2008, 03:56 PM
I'm just curious, what's so special about the Khopesh that its worth taking a feat for? Also, why use the +2 WIS tome at 14... is that the minimum level on them?

Thanks,
Tigsen

Impaqt
04-09-2008, 03:59 PM
I'm just curious, what's so special about the Khopesh that its worth taking a feat for? Also, why use the +2 WIS tome at 14... is that the minimum level on them?

Thanks,
Tigsen
Kopesh- 19-20 Crit Range with a X3 Critical Multiplier. They are Plentiful in all kinds of flavors as well.
as for the Wisdom Tome. Doesnt mater when ya use it. I stuck it at 14 because thats a reasoble level to hit 1750 Favor. My persoanl build will eat his at l1.

Impaqt
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Made Some revisions to the Build after some more consideration. The Beauty of this build is the ability to Melee strong early on, but as most BattleCaster clerics find, the melee Firepower simply isnt needed once you gain Blade Barier.

I'm rolling this build as a Replacement for my Current Human Cleric.... Alandale will never be deleted... Hes a great play for sure, but this version of him is quite a bit more refined.

Moved Weapon Proficency from Level 6 to Level 3. Get that solid weapon in your hand early. the Kopesh will make meleeing a lot more fun from level 3-10 or so. WHen You get your blade barrier, youcan swap that feat out for Maximize. Level 11/12 is where most 15/1 Splits say "Man, I really dont need that Martial level, do I?" But by then its too late. By going with a Feat, rather than a Level you have the ability to drastically change your build focus if need be.

Stat changes are minor from my first version. Dropped str to 14, Wisdom to 18 and CHR to 10. Enhcanment adjustments keep Number of DV's the same with a CHR bump and with the 18 base Wisdom, I can hit 34 Wisdom with just a +2 Tome. Dropping Human Versatility and reducing crit Heals a smidge got me up to max Scroll mastery as well.

I'm rather surprised this build didnt create much discussion. My builds have a way of creating some interesting conversation most of the time. Does this one make too much sense?

ANyway, the OP has been edited with the changes. THe Original version is solid if your using it. THis Mod just focus's a bit more on being an end game Healer/Offensive Caster.

skraus1
04-28-2008, 01:38 PM
I was expecting to find a sneaky cleric. Didn't know people were afraid of the pally splash clerics just because they splashed pally. It seems like they're one of the standard builds now.

Impaqt
04-28-2008, 01:44 PM
I was expecting to find a sneaky cleric. Didn't know people were afraid of the pally splash clerics just because they splashed pally. It seems like they're one of the standard builds now.

Its not so much the fear of Splashing as the Regret of having done so.

I'd be Shocked if there was a Single Offensive caster focused 15/1 Build that feels then "Need" that splash level and wouldnt trade it in if they could.

Cowdenicus
04-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Impaqt.....

Thanks for posting the exact build to my Cleric Nuking (whom is level capped)

The only differences are I took improved spell pen, you took empower spell. Oh and I have aquired more tomes. :D

That being said, Playing my cleric Nuking is the absolute most fun I have had in DDO.

I recommend this build for anybody who wants to play a TRUE cleric. You can melee (My version of this build has a 24 strength from a +3 tome and a +1 human adaptability enhancement), you can cast, you have decent survivability, and with unyielding Soverignity (1st tier) you have access to a decent weapon (longsword).

/Two Thumbs UP.

One other note, our enhancements are very different, I focused on spell pen and wisdom, cha is a dump stat for me as such no turning enhancements or such were taken (including divine healing or vitality), only wand mastery 2 for me also.

skraus1
04-28-2008, 01:50 PM
Its not so much the fear of Splashing as the Regret of having done so.

I'd be Shocked if there was a Single Offensive caster focused 15/1 Build that feels then "Need" that splash level and wouldnt trade it in if they could.

I guess that's the difference. I read this build as a battlecleric, not as an offensive caster. I however thought you were scared of flak from others for splashing pally. I've never seen anyone get any flak over it.

Impaqt
04-28-2008, 01:56 PM
I guess that's the difference. I read this build as a battlecleric, not as an offensive caster. I however thought you were scared of flak from others for splashing pally. I've never seen anyone get any flak over it.

You never been in a Pug where the Leader Chose a "Pure" Cleric over a Splash? You've really never head anyone assume a Cleric must be a Battle Cleric because they have a Splash of Fighter or Paly?

The Cool thing about hsi build is that he >IS< a Batle Cleric until he doesnt need to be anymore.

I have a 15/1 Paly and a 14/2 Rogue Cleric..... But I'm probobly outside the box..... If someone doesnt take me in a Pug because of that its their loss. I could care less. I wouldnt change my Rogue build at all.. Buf if I was going to relevel my 15/1 Paly splash. I dont think I would take the Paladin level again. Not because of "Fear" but because I simply dont need that paly level.

Cowdenicus
04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
You never been in a Pug where the Leader Chose a "Pure" Cleric over a Splash? You've really never head anyone assume a Cleric must be a Battle Cleric because they have a Splash of Fighter or Paly?

The Cool thing about hsi build is that he >IS< a Batle Cleric until he doesnt need to be anymore.

I have a 15/1 Paly and a 14/2 Rogue Cleric..... But I'm probobly outside the box..... If someone doesnt take me in a Pug because of that its their loss. I could care less. I wouldnt change my Rogue build at all.. Buf if I was going to relevel my 15/1 Paly splash. I dont think I would take the Paladin level again. Not because of "Fear" but because I simply dont need that paly level.

I have considered making a splash cleric (have only pure classes now) but am waiting until monks come out for it.

What do you think of a 14 cleric/2 monk build (high dex and wis)

Impaqt
04-28-2008, 02:42 PM
I have considered making a splash cleric (have only pure classes now) but am waiting until monks come out for it.

What do you think of a 14 cleric/2 monk build (high dex and wis)

I have several Cleric/Monk Concepts on paper right now waiting for final Specs on Monks. :)

Cowdenicus
04-28-2008, 02:53 PM
I have several Cleric/Monk Concepts on paper right now waiting for final Specs on Monks. :)

I am thinking an 11 cleric/9 monk

Improved evasion, and heal spell... plus all sorts of other benies.

Club'in
04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
I hear ya. But I still wouldn't trade my Pally level for anything. I love having proficiency with all martial weapons. Nothing like the cleric showing up to the quest with a vorpal greatsword in hand. Also love having warhammer proficiency. And yes, I can destruct with the best of them. And yes, I'm a very capable healer. I don't consider myself a "battle cleric", but I can mix it up...

Impaqt
04-29-2008, 03:19 PM
I hear ya. But I still wouldn't trade my Pally level for anything. I love having proficiency with all martial weapons. Nothing like the cleric showing up to the quest with a vorpal greatsword in hand. Also love having warhammer proficiency. And yes, I can destruct with the best of them. And yes, I'm a very capable healer. I don't consider myself a "battle cleric", but I can mix it up...

No Knock against 15/1 SPlashes.. as I have said Repeatedly, I have 1 myself.... My Build posted back before Mod 4.2 is still one of the standards.

Vorpals are a 20 regardless of proficiency. most clerics can get their To hit up high enough that the -4 Non-Proficiency penalty isnt a big drawback to using a non-proficient Vorpal....

However, there are other ways to gain a vorpal Proficiency without SPlashing...

Sickles are native SImple.
Longswords - Sovergn Host/ Racial-Elf
Greatswords - Lord of the Blades

As for Warhammers..... do you really see that much of a benefit over a Heavy Mace or Morning Star? FOr a Primary Melee class, the Warhamme ris nice.. FOr adding secondary damage, Maces are fine.

Ghoste
04-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Hmmm...was thinking this was actually going to be a "stealth" build.

Guess not.

Club'in
04-29-2008, 04:42 PM
No Knock against 15/1 SPlashes.. as I have said Repeatedly, I have 1 myself.... My Build posted back before Mod 4.2 is still one of the standards.

Vorpals are a 20 regardless of proficiency. most clerics can get their To hit up high enough that the -4 Non-Proficiency penalty isnt a big drawback to using a non-proficient Vorpal....

However, there are other ways to gain a vorpal Proficiency without SPlashing...

Sickles are native SImple.
Longswords - Sovergn Host/ Racial-Elf
Greatswords - Lord of the Blades

As for Warhammers..... do you really see that much of a benefit over a Heavy Mace or Morning Star? FOr a Primary Melee class, the Warhamme ris nice.. FOr adding secondary damage, Maces are fine.

Lol. No, it's not all that effective a weapon. I actually passed it along to my fighter, who can spin around with it using cleave and great cleave. It was more just the imagery I was trying to convey. Showing up to a quest with a two hander probably gets the party members thinking, "uh oh, here we go". But I do spend a good portion of my time focused on healing and offensive casting. Haven't found a vorpal sickle yet. Yup, that'd be nice.

And no, warhammers aren't necessary. I just have a nice collection (and some good maces, as well).

My cleric/rogue actually uses the Sovereign Host longsword proficiency (she's human). My pally/cleric is drow, and I'm not a big fan of shortswords (I hate it when the character slashes with a piercing weapon!), although I do have a nice silver/holy burst shortsword that sounds like it would be useful in the shroud. Haven't been in there, yet.

Way back when, the pally level made more sense. But with the nerf to her aura, about all I'm left with for that pally level is martial weapons. :( If I were starting a new character, and was able to do 32 point build, pure cleric all the way. Absolutely.

Edit: Oh, and forgot to mention, have had kopesh proficiency since level 3. Totally second that notion. Very fun.

Auran82
05-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Rolled a cleric up based on this the other day.

Enjoying being able to melee and heal at the same time and sitting on 28AC at level 2 which seems to do pretty well, lol. Also have DR 3/- in case the mobs are able to hit me (gogo adamantine FP, seems pretty good at low levels)

Looking forward to leveling this character up more once MOD 7 hits (5 monks need some kind of healer right?)

Sundrop
05-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Impaqt.....

I recommend this build for anybody who wants to play a TRUE cleric. You can melee (My version of this build has a 24 strength from a +3 tome and a +1 human adaptability enhancement), you can cast, you have decent survivability, and with unyielding Soverignity (1st tier) you have access to a decent weapon (longsword).

Cowdenicus (or anyone else who has tried it), all the descriptions I've been able to find of unyielding soverignity (and it's prequel follower of the sovereign host) don't mention that it gives you proficiency with longsword. Does it give you proficiency? Or only the +1 to hit as it claims?

Impaqt
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Cowdenicus (or anyone else who has tried it), all the descriptions I've been able to find of unyielding soverignity (and it's prequel follower of the sovereign host) don't mention that it gives you proficiency with longsword. Does it give you proficiency? Or only the +1 to hit as it claims?
You can use a CLick of Turn Undead to grant yourself (Or anyone else for that matter) The Proficency. It has no Timer, but does reset when you rest.

It also Gives you +1 To Hit.

samho
05-20-2008, 01:25 PM

It give self or friendly target..

(1) Longsword Proficiency (until shrine/death/zone)
(2) +1 attack roll with Longsword

So before you use Unyielding Soverignity, when you equip the any longsword, you will suffer -4 attack penalty by not have the right weapon proficiency. After you use the Unyielding Soverignity on yourself, you will not only use it without attack penalty, but also gain an extra attack roll bonus.

That's been said, assume you are level 16 cleric with strength 22:

Before using it, when you swing a +5 longsword, your attack roll = 12 BAB + 6 STR mod + 5 weapon enhancement bonus - 4 attack penalty without proficiency = 19.

After using it, when you swing a +5 longsword, your attack roll = 12 BAB + 6 STR mod + 5 weapon enhancement bonus + 1 extra bonus = 24

miceelf88
05-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Think I'll try this out. If i read this correctly, it looks a lot like your null specced cleric at end game, but a more generalist caster then, and you do the martial stuff early. I assume spell selection pretty similar, perhaps some of the necro spells switched out?

Looks like fun.

Impaqt
05-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Definatly a Generalist casting build.. WIth Maxed Wisdom you can pretty much use any spell effectively. Starting stats are different frommy null build to accomodate some STR for melee early.