PDA

View Full Version : Strafing While Drinking

In_Like_Flynn
04-09-2008, 12:37 PM
If I start drinking a healing potion, and strafe while doing so, I get no healing? Anyone else seen this? I have to be careful when moving and drinking that I don't lose the potion's benefit.

P.S. I'd like potions to not interrupt 'R'unning.

Beherit_Baphomar
04-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Potions smell like cheese.

In_Like_Flynn
04-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Touche.

Lithic
04-09-2008, 01:25 PM
The key is not to START a move while drinking (which cancels your potion), but to start moving and THEN drink.

I personally like to jump and drink.

Cinwulf
04-09-2008, 01:27 PM
If I start drinking a healing potion, and strafe while doing so, I get no healing? Anyone else seen this? I have to be careful when moving and drinking that I don't lose the potion's benefit.

It's happened to me many times and not just with potions: wands, scrolls, and casting in general. Very frustrating.

Beherit_Baphomar
04-09-2008, 01:32 PM

Try playing a barb and have it happen just at the critically worst time with your barb rage.

Slow ass cooldown on that too.

Ustice
04-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Sounds like a bug. You are supposed to be able to quaff a potion while moving, according to pnp.

Beherit_Baphomar
04-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Sounds like a bug. You are supposed to be able to quaff a potion while moving, according to pnp.

You can quaff, quaff away! But if you hit the potion onyer hotbar at the same time as you start moving it wont use the potion, but the cooldown will go into effect. All clickies are like that..

Aspenor
04-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Personally I have problems with drinking while strafing, also.

Except this is in real life :o

JTsays
04-09-2008, 02:55 PM

Practice, practice, practice.

Mindspat
04-09-2008, 05:02 PM
It has been this way since the game launched.

If you're trying to avoid hits and need a potion try jumping. You will have to drink the potion mid-air and as long as you continue to press a direction you will land running, at a crawl though.

Two of the most underused tactics in the game are Jumping and Diplomacy spamming.

If I were able to paint my character green I'd think I was Yoda with all the jumping around I do. :)

MrCow
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
There are other actions that get interrupted if you start to strafe left or right as well such as turning on metamagics.

Borrigain
04-09-2008, 06:09 PM

Me too. I tried getting one of those coffee cups with lids, but still.....I can't seem to hold the stick in one hand and the throttle in the other and keep from spilling.

Hmm.....maybe I should get one of those baseball hat beer things to attach to my helmet.

:D

Borr.

Edit: jk...i too have noticed this effect. It can be really annoying while trying to strafe around a mob to avoid being clobbered again and drink a potion.

Geonis
04-09-2008, 11:45 PM
If you continue pressing a direction, then hit the drink button, all goes well.

If you press a different direction/button while drinking, it cancels the drink animation and the effect does not happen.

It is a good thing, as it prevents the "stuck in place" that could be happening, (ie. If all of a sudden you change your mind and would rather move than drink [someone on your ass], you can cancel the action and continue to move).

FluffyDucky
04-10-2008, 12:50 PM
If you continue pressing a direction, then hit the drink button, all goes well.

If you press a different direction/button while drinking, it cancels the drink animation and the effect does not happen.

It is a good thing, as it prevents the "stuck in place" that could be happening, (ie. If all of a sudden you change your mind and would rather move than drink [someone on your ass], you can cancel the action and continue to move).

It would be a 'good thing' if it did not start the cool down timer, espically on items that have a long cooldown.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-10-2008, 01:02 PM
awww....i thought this topic was gonna be more interesting....

/thinks about an Uzi and a beer....

roadkill525
04-10-2008, 01:07 PM

in pnp you can drink while moving... but unless you have certain bags, getting the right potion out of ya backpack/pouch while running can be tricky. then there are items that you reach into and they put wht ever you want into yer hand so there is no searching thru the bag for it. also provotes attacks of opertunitys I believe.

Yvonne_Blacksword
04-10-2008, 03:03 PM
there is this cool thing I learned..
keep running, jump in the air drink potion.

run-jump-cast.
only slows you down a little.

Borror0
04-10-2008, 03:22 PM
I personally like to jump and drink.

Same, best way as, anyway, you stop runnnig while drinking.

Hvymetal
04-12-2008, 05:35 AM
I always hit the ground......... oh wait thats Il-2 Sturmovick......

Twerpp
04-12-2008, 06:46 AM
Drinking mid-jump is the way to go. Time it for right after you hit jump. In fact a lot of actions are good mid jump, anything that momentarily pauses your attack chain...best to be out of melee reach until you can resume swinging.

Strakeln
04-12-2008, 11:32 AM
My related pet peeve: short dwarf legs that require the climbing motion to move up a step... while casting a heal on an almost-dead party member...