PDA

View Full Version : Turbine Mailbag: Dear Cubie, 2nd Edition

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:14 PM
For more letters from the Dear Cubie series, visit the Turbine Mailbag 1st Edition (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=5944)
---

Hello Mighty Ooze!

I've read over other letters sent in, and I'm scared now! There are so many rules, how am I ever going to remember to follow them all? I don't want to get banned, I just want to talk about DDO with my friends and other players on the forums.

Thanks for your time,
Walking On Eggshells

Dear Walking,

The two biggest things to remember are:

Rule 1. Be nice to your fellow posters.
Rule 2. If you can't be nice to them, then the forum has two nifty features: an ignore (available by clicking on their name to view their profile and selecting "Add [them] to your Ignore List") and a reported post function (it's in the lower left corner of posts and looks like this http://ddoimages.turbine.com/forums/images/buttons/orange/report.gif).

Do these things so that you avoid my oozerific attention.

Your friend,
The Cube

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
Dear Jiggly One,

I hate exploiters. I think they're all dirty cheaters, and I want to see them punished to the full extent of the Code of Conduct! It's wrong, and I think everyone should learn the difference between strategy and exploiting. Everyone is doing it and it's wrong, and I want to say so... I didn't use any details, why did I get punished? They are the ones cheating!

Respectfully,
Concerned Citizen

Dear Concerned,

We are very pleased that you abide by the Code of Conduct. We're also glad that you want to take action against exploits. However, making threads on the public forums about exploits is not the right action. The forum rules state very clearly to not talk about exploits. Posting to denounce it doesn't make talking about the exploits ok; there is no "acceptable" or "excusable" reason to talk about exploits. The best way you can help instead is the following:

1. When you see exploiting in game, use the in-game help system to open a ticket. Select "cheating" and give the GMs a description of what is happening.
2. If you're not sure that Turbine is aware of the bug or exploit, contact us privately to let us know. You can do so using the in-game bug reporting system
3. If you see something, and you're not sure if it's a bug or an exploit, either submit a bug report, or a cheating report, in game.
4. Don't make threads about exploits on the forums, for good or bad, just don't do it. Period.

Your Friend,
The Cube

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
To The Gelatinous Cube,

I got a warning from you. I'm a good poster and I'm never out of line, but the poster right above me is always being a troll, but I don't see him getting in trouble. Why is that?

- Annoyed In Argonessen

Dear Annoyed,

If you're generally a good poster, and you've received a warning, it means we're trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, and that you should just be more careful. Warnings don't go against your infraction total. There are two times that you're liable to get a warning: if there's been a pattern of poor behavior from you lately, or if we've been reminding the community against certain behavior repeatedly. Just keep being the good rules-abiding poster that you normally are, and you'll be fine. As for the resident troll? Just use the reported post icon http://ddoimages.turbine.com/forums/images/buttons/orange/report.gif on the post to draw my attention to them. Trolls are my favorite food.

Your friend,
The Cube

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Hello Cube,

Are you a male or a female?

From,
Just Curious

Dear Curious,

I'm an ooze.

Your Friend,
The Cube

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:17 PM
Hey Cube,

Some clown over in this thread is going on and on about really erroneous data for a character built. I told him how it was: WRONG! Apparently that's not allowed? Is it a crime to tell people that they're wrong? I just wanted to show this guy that he's being a moron, and there are better ways to build the character.

Thanks for your time,
Character Builder

Dear Builder,

If you're going to try to help someone with their information, think very carefully about what descriptive adjectives you want to use in regards to the other person, if you'd like to avoid your post being a candidate for cube food. Take your letter for example:
"Some clown"
... if you're referring to Bozo, It, or Krusty, that's perfectly acceptable. To another user? Not so much.
"he's being a moron"
... something tells me you wouldn't like it if someone said that about you, so it's best to leave that sort of talk out of your discussion.

The best help you can offer is respecting other posters. You don't have to agree with them, just don't sprinkle insulting remarks in your points, as it's garnish for my meals.

Your friend,
The Cube

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
CUBE!!

FREE SPEECH YOU [edit: big] PIECE OF [edit: ooze] WHY DID YOU EDIT MY [eaten by cube] POST!!!111!1

I HOPE [eaten by cube] WHEN [eaten by cube]

[eaten by cube]
[eaten by cube]

Dear eaten by cube,

If you would like a forum of complete freedom of expression, this is not the place. On these forums, you have to follow the rules. Those rules are easily found sticked to the top of the forums. There are lines, and when you cross them, your post or comments are going to get closed or removed. If you continually walk up to the line and stick your toes over, those toes will get eaten by the cube. We're happy to provide a place for you to chat and hang outside of the game, but this is still a commercial forum with guidelines that you are required to follow.

Your friend,
The Cube.

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
We meet again Cube,

I'm having a discussion, and you saw fit to close it. I didn't agree with it being closed, but when I try to make a thread about the fact you closed it, now I'm in trouble? How does THAT work?

Signed,
More To Say

Dear More,

When a thread is closed, it's closed for a reason. Forum rules are very clear that re-opening a closed discussion is against the rules. If your thread was closed, and you didn't get any infraction points, it's best not to test the waters by breaking other rules to boot.

Your friend,
The Cube

The_Mighty_Cube
04-09-2008, 12:19 PM
How you doing Cubie?

So there is this awesome flame fest going on, and I wanted to toss some popcorn in the mix. Is that ok? I think that flame war needs some marshmallows too while I'm at it. These people amuse me, can't they realize it's just a game?

All in good fun,
DDO LoLCat

Dear DDO LoLCat,

Throwing your popcorn and marshmallows in the thread is just fuel for the fire. It's safer for you to hit the reported post button http://ddoimages.turbine.com/forums/images/buttons/orange/report.gif instead if you wouldn't like to see what the inside of a Cube's belly looks like.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/8/inurforumzea128521870537816838.jpg

Your friend,
The Cube

Oreg
04-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Interesting way to reinforce your policies. When did utilization of sarcasm become a mandatory vehicle for communicating with paid customers? Seems like a trend lately.

Cowdenicus
04-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Interesting way to reinforce your policies. When did utilization of sarcasm become a mandatory vehicle for communicating with paid customers? Seems like a trend lately.

I found it amusing......

mudfud
04-09-2008, 12:34 PM
All that mail

¯\(º_o)/¯

How does an ooze check it's mail?

Oreg
04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
It was amusing. It is just unusual for a company to communicate with its paying customers using so much sarcasm. Companies are usually more reserved especially when dealing with serious or policy driven topics.

frederjoe1
04-09-2008, 12:36 PM
I found it rather amusing as well....also think about it, what would be the easiest way to communicate wit a bunch of sarcastic know it alls? Well sarcasm worked for me....lol

Cowdenicus
04-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Good Lord knows I have sent the cube alot of mail.... threats involving muck banes, general harassment, saying that purple was a better color for cubes as opposed to vomit green, etc etc.

Unfortunatly the cubed one never responds. :(

I wonder with a big enough axe could we turn him into a gealtinous orb? We might have to use cone of cold on him first to firm him up a bit. :D

EinarMal
+1 for amusing!

Beherit_Baphomar
Signed,
OMG, I'm an exploiter!

Sig worthy.

Nice post Cubie...as for the sarcasm, well, Id prefer it over an iron fist, wouldnt you?

Cowdenicus
04-09-2008, 12:40 PM
I found it rather amusing as well....also think about it, what would be the easiest way to communicate wit a bunch of sarcastic know it alls? Well sarcasm worked for me....lol

Amen

OrganGrinder
04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
I think its great, good work Cube. In essence the cube is just breaking down, in an easier to understand format, information that would be known if people took the time to read the forum guidelines.

Gunga
04-09-2008, 12:44 PM
This is a game. Sarcasm good. Serious bad. This thread, in all of it's dripping glory, did help me understand the rules a bit better.

Gratch
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
This feels like method 18 to decrease recent flame and exploit talk. If it helps some or makes some people laugh then it is worth it.

If people want to talk about DDO exploits, there's nonTurbine DDO forums. If people want to flame, curse, troll, scream, etc... there's a number of other boards where that is tolerated and some where it's almost encouraged (/points at penny-arcade.com).

We're getting towards the end of a no content stretch awaiting the monks... tensions are rising. They always do.

Westerner
04-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the clarity, cube.

Kindoki
04-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Dear Mr. Cube,

Your avatar looks an awful lot like the MCP from Tron. Are you by any chance related? Distant cousins perhaps?

Best Regards,

Working to keep amorphous world dominators straight in my head

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/blackwood/webclient/spec_compliant_api/org/mozilla/mcp/mcp.jpg

dragonoffrost
04-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Hello Cube,

Are you a male or a female?

From,
Just Curious

Dear Curious,

I'm an ooze.

Your Friend,
The Cube

Everyone should know any kind of ooze, Like an amoeba, is asexual ;)

(I hope that stick I used was everbright or i'm probably in big trouble)

Cupcake
04-09-2008, 01:11 PM
*Pokes Mr. Cube again.

Ouch!!!!!!!!1

rimble
04-09-2008, 01:12 PM
I found it amusing......

I found it mostly patronizing, then amusing. But hey, the way some people act around here, patronizing them seems appropriate.

Vizzini
04-09-2008, 01:29 PM
/me equips +4 Blueshine FP, and +3 Flaming Burst Long Sword of Greater Oooze Bane, and prepares to charge!

Sound the feasting horn!

http://www.tuckborough.net/images/BoromirHorn.jpg

Impaqt
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Can the Cube WIn TotW???

If So, THis has my vote!

Yaga_Nub
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I love the fact that it was sarcastic. Shows us that the cube is one of us.

Mistey
04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I think its great, good work Cube. In essence the cube is just breaking down, in an easier to understand format, information that would be known if people took the time to read the forum guidelines.

Ditto these words of wisdom. ;)

Oreg
04-09-2008, 01:58 PM
I love the fact that it was sarcastic. Shows us that the cube is one of us.

Foolish boy. He doesn't look at you as "one of them". I guarantee you that.

Rowanheal
04-09-2008, 02:00 PM
Dear Cubie,

How do I make you Pink? No one would be scared of a big square glob of Pink, right?

(and on topic this thread is fabulous)

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Throrin
04-09-2008, 02:09 PM
I guess we should be lucky it was sarcastic and not really dripping acid...the cube would be within his rights :)

Aspenor
04-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Good job Cubie. Well put. I think this should be stickied somewhere, if it's not already.

Edit: NVM, just noticed it is. :)

Muirtach
04-09-2008, 02:42 PM

Reading comprehension and retainment FTW!

bobbryan2
04-09-2008, 02:47 PM
I dunno, I found it pretty patronizing, personally.

It's all wonderful and great to say that we can't talk about exploits... but it really sends us mixed signals when Turbine makes quests that are impossible to complete without using questionable tactics.

Would Turbine rather no one ran the quests at all and that no one discussed them? Or would they rather us swap strategies that DO work. When most people ask whether or not something is an exploit, they're really asking where we should draw the line. Clearly, Turbine has created quests where the optimal strategies DO in fact blur the line. Every raid I know of has some kind of tactic that a DM wouldn't allow. Yet, for example, Eladrin posts some examples of tactics he'd use in the Abbot, I noticed that a few of those at least touch upon iffy.

It's all great to say there's no talk about exploits, but it's ultimately on Turbine to more clearly delineate those lines so we know where we stand. I guess you may as well close down every thread that deals with the Abbot now. Since the very words exploit and bug are now sufficient to getting a thread closed. (even when the subject matter had nothing to do with bugs or exploits)

Maybe all that was simply done to jolt us awake so we'd read this thread, but I thought it was dumb. There was no purpose in closing half those threads that didn't even deal with exploits.

Grond
04-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Can the Cube WIn TotW???

If So, THis has my vote!

Ditto!

I didn't find it patronizing, I found it to be fairly good examples of the behavior it was meant to adress. When in Rome, you need to speak Roman. Or Italian. Or Latin. Or whatever language the populace speaks. I gues the Cube speaks Forumese... who knew Gelatinous Cubes got extra languages? :D

Whippy
04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
I dunno, I found it pretty patronizing, personally.

It's all wonderful and great to say that we can't talk about exploits... but it really sends us mixed signals when Turbine makes quests that are impossible to complete without using questionable tactics.

Would Turbine rather no one ran the quests at all and that no one discussed them? Or would they rather us swap strategies that DO work. When most people ask whether or not something is an exploit, they're really asking where we should draw the line. Clearly, Turbine has created quests where the optimal strategies DO in fact blur the line. Every raid I know of has some kind of tactic that a DM wouldn't allow. Yet, for example, Eladrin posts some examples of tactics he'd use in the Abbot, I noticed that a few of those at least touch upon iffy.

It's all great to say there's no talk about exploits, but it's ultimately on Turbine to more clearly delineate those lines so we know where we stand. I guess you may as well close down every thread that deals with the Abbot now. Since the very words exploit and bug are now sufficient to getting a thread closed. (even when the subject matter had nothing to do with bugs or exploits)

Maybe all that was simply done to jolt us awake so we'd read this thread, but I thought it was dumb. There was no purpose in closing half those threads that didn't even deal with exploits.

Although I think that sometimes its clear a certain tactic is an exploit, I believe you have a very good point here. There are definately places where the lines are blurry and its not clear whether something is a tactic that can be discussed or if it is an exploit. Definately more clearly defined lines would be helpful.

Borrigain
04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
I like Cube.

I also love Lamp.

But I like Cube.

:D

Borr.

P.S. I also love Scotch......scotchy scotch scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly......

honkuimushi
04-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Welcome back Cube. I haven't seen you around lately; it's good to have you back. I haven't seen the Kommunity Kobold around either, was there some sort of accident?

Yvonne_Blacksword
04-09-2008, 08:10 PM
My native tongue is Sarcasm..
I prefer it...
I think anyone who doesn't at least speak with a sarcastic accent is difficult to understand.

Yay cubie...

Epsilom
04-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Yeah i enjoyed it.
It makes clear what the expectations are for posting here, i found the sarcasm quite funny personally.

Naso24
04-10-2008, 01:06 AM
I like the method of communication, since it was entertaining. The only problem I have is there is still confusion.

Kistilan
04-10-2008, 01:06 AM
I enjoyed the sarcasm and took note that confidence is contagious -- so is lack of confidence. Vince Lombardi, Green Bay Packers. Many questions were cleared up in the Cube's many letters. I also believe I'll be posting less kittens.

Also, many great epic stories used The Hero Method. Most Recently, Cloud Strife against the Bahamut. I'm confident in this strategy.

The Hero Method (a legitimate tactic)

http://finalfantasy7adventchildren.oldiblog.com/sites/images/articles/161/article_161830.jpg

By Cloud Strife

"Koyo..." - Strife's reply to being persuaded into exploiting Gaia. He said "I'm leaving."

Yaga_Nub
04-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Foolish boy. He doesn't look at you as "one of them". I guarantee you that.

I'm sure he looks at me as a pre-lunch snack but I love him any way.

GreyRogue
04-10-2008, 08:33 AM
If possible, GC should make this thread appear in the Dev Tracker. I don't know about anyone else, but that's the first place I usually hit when I come to the forums.

Beerthirty
04-10-2008, 08:49 AM
typing /kajsdflkjasdlfjadslfkjadslfkjsalkads;fhadskjfsfask f just before killing the boss let you repeat a raid without a timer then most ppl would agree that was a bug.

Now you've done it... Cube's gonna have to close its own thread.

Merkinsal
04-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Sarcasm per Oxford Dictionary is:

1. Bitter or wounding remark 2. taunt

Synonyms:

scornful, derisive, mocking, ridiculing, scathing,

Per Webster:

1. harsh or bitter derision 2. sneering or cutting remark

I saw no sarcasm in anything he/she/it said.

Sambvca
04-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Sarcasm per Oxford Dictionary is:

1. Bitter or wounding remark 2. taunt

Synonyms:

scornful, derisive, mocking, ridiculing, scathing,

Per Webster:

1. harsh or bitter derision 2. sneering or cutting remark

I saw no sarcasm in anything he/she/it said.

1. The Oxford dictionary should have no merit whilst dealing with American English. Pfft - Armour
2. Why would you ask a black midget?

The_Mighty_Cube
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Okay... I'm reopening this thread, after I've eaten my fill.

This is my final warning. There is to be no further discussion of exploit activity of anynature for the time being. As I explained into my friend "OMG I'm an exploiter!" Discussion of these topics in anyway have no place on these forums.

Let me make this clear: Any further discussion of exploits of ANY kind, veiled, obvious, detailed, or general, is strictly off limits, and will be grounds for immediate, and permanent ban from the forums.

I understand completely the frustration that exploits and severe bugs cause to our players, and we ALWAYS address these types of problems as fast as possible. There is no need to bring them to the forums to get our attention. If there have been reports through the proper channels, (i.e: Bug reports, CS Reports or PMs to us) they are going to be investigated and fixed promptly, as always. However, frustration is no excuse to disobey the rules or attack others and send the forum up in flames.

Issues at hand will be fixed very soon, so lets all step back and breathe a sigh of relief, and move on to more pleasant topics, that have nothing to do with exploiting .... in any way....

*Jiggle*

Altarboy
04-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Cubed myself...was in the middle of a response when you posted cube!

Sambvca
04-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Cubed myself...was in the middle of a response when you posted cube!

When I multiply myself by myself by myself, I get headaches.

Beherit_Baphomar
04-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Lets talk about.....cats in bags....

In fact lets talk about my stupid cat who, for gods only knows why, chews on my monitor cable. This has resulted in me not being able to move my monitor. But when the stupid cat crawls under my computer desk she hits the cable, my monitor goes black. This results in an angry Bee, wiggling said cable furiously trying to get my picture back while everyone dies in a Shroud run.

Can we talk about that?

Cowdenicus
04-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Can we talk about the best color for a cube?

Altarboy
04-10-2008, 11:46 AM
I hate when Im eating popcorn and a little piece gets stuck in my gums

Rowanheal
04-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Can we talk about the best color for a cube?

PINK PINK PINK PINK PINK

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

Cowdenicus
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
PINK PINK PINK PINK PINK

See ya in Stormreach,

-R

I was actually thinking a nice soft BLUE.

Borrigain
04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Lets talk about.....cats in bags....

In fact lets talk about my stupid cat who, for gods only knows why, chews on my monitor cable. This has resulted in me not being able to move my monitor. But when the stupid cat crawls under my computer desk she hits the cable, my monitor goes black. This results in an angry Bee, wiggling said cable furiously trying to get my picture back while everyone dies in a Shroud run.

Can we talk about that?

Sure, the cat in question is rightfully feeling neglected by your constant gaming and is trying to get your attention the only way he/she can.....by interrupting your gaming.

Had the same problem for awhile with the wife......until she got shocked......"i told her 110 was gonna bite, but did she listen.....noooooo....." :D

Just give him/her some huggies for about 20 min when you first get home, and you should be ok.......worked for me....:)

Borr.

Cowdenicus
04-10-2008, 11:52 AM
Sure, the cat in question is rightfully feeling neglected by your constant gaming and is trying to get your attention the only way he/she can.....by interrupting your gaming.

Had the same problem for awhile with the wife......until she got shocked......"i told her 110 was gonna bite, but did she listen.....noooooo....." :D

Just give him/her some huggies for about 20 min when you first get home, and you should be ok.......worked for me....:)

Borr.

OK My solution to the problem of the wife bothering me while I play video games was to shorten the chains she is hooked up to in the basement. Now they only reach as far as the kitchen.

Life is so good now. :eek:;):D

Altarboy
04-10-2008, 11:54 AM

Borr.
Poppycock!...+5 shocking burst wire of cat bane for the win!

Borrigain
04-10-2008, 12:37 PM
OK My solution to the problem of the wife bothering me while I play video games was to shorten the chains she is hooked up to in the basement. Now they only reach as far as the kitchen.

Oh no Cow! Now you've done it.....

/grabs popcorn and waits for the ladies from "A little common sense while gaming" thread to show up.

This is gonna be good. :)

Borr.

P.S. And although your solution has merit......how's she susposed to bring you your food and beer? :eek:

Ladies, I kid, I kid.......

roadkill525
04-10-2008, 01:42 PM
well sence this is a dear cubit thread... I got one.

Dear Cubit

I'm working on a PnP workd and I plan to have giant jello cubes in it. can I use yer immage to represent them in the battles?

Ranmaru2
04-10-2008, 07:29 PM
In mother Russia...

Cube find you!

I couldn't resist :D

Xaearth
04-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Hehe, fun and informative thread. But I've got just one question...

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/4/8/inurforumzea128521870537816838.jpg

Your friend,
The Cube

Can we get clarification if that's permanent or temporary item damage and whether or not blueshine protects against it? :D

PS: There's a saying on Thelanis, "Every time that [censored to spare the cube a snack] devil (lieutenant from shroud 2) teleports, the Gelatinous Cube eats a kitten." Is that where this "screenie" came from? :D

gfunk
04-11-2008, 12:11 AM
thx turbine, this is a good way to communicate expected forum/game behavior. Most of us moderate forum users would never be aware of this stuff unless we read all the rules in detail (not sure who really reads, and remembers all of that), or comb through all the old posts (which people like me do only when they are bored at work). I personally like sarcasm... keep it up!

studentx
04-14-2008, 01:40 AM

Um when hasn't it?

After all a sense of humor is free.

Cowdenicus
04-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Oh no Cow! Now you've done it.....

/grabs popcorn and waits for the ladies from "A little common sense while gaming" thread to show up.

This is gonna be good. :)

Borr.

P.S. And although your solution has merit......how's she susposed to bring you your food and beer? :eek:

Ladies, I kid, I kid.......

Man I couldnt even get a response from the queen of girl gaming, OUCH. :(

TheCrow
04-15-2008, 07:08 PM
It was amusing. It is just unusual for a company to communicate with its paying customers using so much sarcasm. Companies are usually more reserved especially when dealing with serious or policy driven topics.

Oh I dont know, its entertaining & a refreshing change from most other companies where all you see is serious responses constantly repeated like "No you will be banned" or whatever, which while justified gets a bit tired & Draconian after a while.

I like the cube it has a sense of humour.

Silou
04-22-2008, 10:07 PM
This approach seems like a viable method to me. Think about it for a second, this is a community of gamers, GAMERS. To be brutally honest there's no such thing as a completely serious minded or "mature" gamer. There's got to be a little immaturity or wishfull kid in you for you to get any knd of enjoyment out of something like an imaginary game. Not to mention that DDO is based on 3rd Ed. D&D whish is an entirely imagination gaming platform where the Dungeon Master (or Game Master if you will) has to have some sence of humor when he throws the whip wielding fiendish kobold barbarian at you... but I digress. The point I'm trying to make is that in this unique community, a vast majority of the population responds better to the humor and sarcasm. Much better than wordy businesslike typing that sounds like someone cut and pasted it out of the unabridged rule book of the forums. Kudos! to the Cube for understanding this.

NKspeed
04-22-2008, 10:10 PM
reported post function (it's in the lower left corner of posts and looks like this http://ddoimages.turbine.com/forums/images/buttons/orange/report.gif).
[/QUOTE]

Might want to corect that its in the top right corner of posts, not lower left

Silou
04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
reported post function (it's in the lower left corner of posts and looks like this http://ddoimages.turbine.com/forums/images/buttons/orange/report.gif).

Might want to corect that its in the top right corner of posts, not lower left[/QUOTE]

No intent to burst any bubbles or create a problem here, but they are in the lower left corner of the posts for me. Maybe there's a way to change the settings so they have appeared in your upper right?

The_Mighty_Cube
04-29-2008, 03:34 PM
Dear Engulfer of Stuff...

Can you please engulf the spammers too? I. hate. spam. HATE spam. When I log in my game, I don't want spammers spamming up my play time! I got spam from a guy named [eaten by cube] and his message said

Sorry to bother! Come to [eaten by cube].com for best deals low prices, just call [eaten by cube]

but when I make a post about it, you ate it!? NOW what did I do wrong, I'm just trying to tell you about the spam!?

From,
Spaminator in Sarlona

-----------------

Dear Spaminator,

I hate spam too, but there are a few things to keep in mind when you deal with spammers...

First things first, don't post the message the spammer gave you. By doing so, you're providing the spammer with free advertising, which effectively makes you a vehicle for the spam as well. You don't want that, do you? I know I don't, and I know you hate the spammers too, but don't accidentally do their work for them.

Next, while it might seem harmless to post a screen shot or a name of someone spamming, it's harmful to others. Some players get VERY hostile towards spammers, and if you've posted a name or screenshot of someone who has a name similar to another player, that player can become the target of harassment. Not everyone with a name that seems like gibberish is a spammer, and there are plenty of players out there with guild mules, inside jokes, or even players who just don't care much about their name who aren't spamming or doing anything wrong, but receive hateful and inappropriate messages as a result of such screenshots/singling out. Sending such messages could get you in trouble with the in-game support team! If you are the recipient of spam, report them, but leave it at that.

The final thing to remember is... don't spam the forum about spam. No one likes spammers in game, so it's definitely not a good idea to carry that behavior over onto the forums. We're going to make a thread where we can all come together to discuss the topic so that opinions and discussions are still engaged, but without letting the spam talk bog down everything else we want to talk about here on the forums. Meet me over in the general forum in the Plane of Spammerwrath (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=145260)...

scampb
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
well sence this is a dear cubit thread... I got one.

Dear Cubit

I'm working on a PnP workd and I plan to have giant jello cubes in it. can I use yer immage to represent them in the battles?

As Noah would say; ' Right!, what's a cubit'?

I would like to see how many people can relate to that comment, out of curiousity.

Dark_Helmet
04-30-2008, 07:58 PM

I would like to see how many people can relate to that comment, out of curiousity.

It is 1/8 of a cubyte on the Jiggly One's computer. :o

BTW - I believe it was Bill Cosby.

ZarakNur
05-01-2008, 06:11 AM

'Lets see a cubit...I used to know what a cubit was.'
'Well don't worry about that Noah, when you get that done, go out into the world and collect all of the animals in the world by twos: Male and Female, and put them into the ark.'

'Right!'

'Who is this really?'

Still have all of his albums (yes albums).

scampb
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM
'Lets see a cubit...I used to know what a cubit was.'
'Well don't worry about that Noah, when you get that done, go out into the world and collect all of the animals in the world by twos: Male and Female, and put them into the ark.'

'Right!'

'Who is this really?'

Still have all of his albums (yes albums).

Amazing ZarakNur. I am totally impressed. And I loved that album. As a kid I listened to it and thought it was just sooo funny. For anyone that doesn't know what we are talking about, take the time to search for it online and give it a listen. Still funny in today's standards. Yes, it is Bill Cosby doing Noah in a conversation with God about building the ark. Very very funny.

TechNoFear
05-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Dear Cube,
Something I posted has been deleted.

It did not appear to be against the forum rules as it was quoted by a Turbine employee.

What is the reason for this censorship?

Cheers,
TechNoFear

branmakmuffin
07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Dear Cube,
Something I posted has been deleted.

It did not appear to be against the forum rules as it was quoted by a Turbine employee.

What is the reason for this censorship?

Cheers,
TechNoFear
What does or does not fall into forbidden categories on forums (in general) would appear to bear little relationship to what those categories are in real life. They can be as capricious as they like (and Turbine actually seems to be more tolerant than other companies).

scadragon
07-17-2010, 08:12 AM
How much do half-elf slave girls cost,
and how come I can't find any for sale
from any of the vendors in the marketplace?

just sayin.....

Staghare
08-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Dear Enveloper,

Do you happen to be on speaking terms with the Devourer? If so do you consider him superior or inferior?

Tholar
08-05-2010, 07:42 PM

I am going to marry the Demon Queen. Imagine it, 6 arms! Think how fast she could wash dishes, or fold laundry.

Which voice do you hear on the cube letter reading posts? Richard Clark or the lady from Romper Room?

Richard Clark you ask? Apparently I can't type his name without being censored. I blame the cube! http://forums.ddo.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

Sirea
08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Does it count as a thread necro if it's a Stickied post, even if it hasn't been touched in 2 years?

Staghare
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Does it count as a thread necro if it's a Stickied post, even if it hasn't been touched in 2 years?

No it counts as a thread resurection shrine use.

donfilibuster
08-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Now it will suffer the touch of Dolurth for the next few posts.

Jiipster
08-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Dear Cube;

If you don't mind me asking, what were you doing in Rainbow the other day, trying to eat my gimpy Wizard? Have I offended you, somehow?

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a368/Crux_/ScreenShot00002.jpg

Staghare
08-08-2010, 06:12 PM
The Cube must not be amused.

Asketes
08-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah, he must be feeling rightly squared!

:D:D

Marlanus
08-28-2010, 01:00 PM
What would happen to your kind if attacked by one of the following: +2 Vorpal Shamwow, +4 butter knife of spreading ooze on toast or the most dreaded weapon of all... the Squeegee!

doomboy
01-12-2011, 11:34 AM
dear gelatinous one,

why are you so awesome?

one in awe

Tertriary
04-18-2012, 08:11 AM
Dear Cubinator,

Do you mind making a third edition of your awesome (not eated by cube) cubish replies?

Pleaaase?

When i started reading i just went LOL, you see. Could you make another one?

Arcaenium
09-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Long Live the CUBE!!!!!!!!

P.S. Cube, would the incantation to summon you be similar to summoning cthulu?

atlantiandreams
09-12-2012, 11:17 PM
Dear cube,
Just wondering, are you really lime flavored?

Quarterling
09-13-2012, 12:05 AM

*replying to a post that's 4 years old*

I think that some companies could stand to be a bit less serious and more laid back.

That being said, the Cube's posts were a great read.

Feihung
09-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Ha.

Classic forum moderator. The Gelatinous Cube.

shad0wguns
10-07-2013, 02:39 PM
This one is about the game. I have been warned about swearing in the in game chat but i have to ask if swearing is against the rules then why do you have an option to uncensor profanity. Seem like you guys say one thing but mean another with that option.

XiaNYdE
10-08-2013, 01:30 AM
This one is about the game. I have been warned about swearing in the in game chat but i have to ask if swearing is against the rules then why do you have an option to uncensor profanity. Seem like you guys say one thing but mean another with that option.

I have had to wonder this myself, the same has happened to me. What annoyed me though is the word i used we don't even consider it swearing in Australia, i hear it 20 times a day and even have customers use it in my shop lol ..go figure!
So yeah i have to wonder what the point of the filter is? Especially considering it's on by default so whomever is complaining has turned it off!

Soulfurnace
10-08-2013, 04:20 AM
I have had to wonder this myself, the same has happened to me. What annoyed me though is the word i used we don't even consider it swearing in Australia, i hear it 20 times a day and even have customers use it in my shop lol ..go figure!
So yeah i have to wonder what the point of the filter is? Especially considering it's on by default so whomever is complaining has turned it off!
Aside from the fact this thread has been necro'd a few times, I kinda agree. One word in common Aussie slang is considered profanity for some bloody reason.

fmalfeas
02-20-2014, 06:53 AM
Necromancy, but I just have to say it.

You think a common word being censored is strange? How about con? Yes, con, as in the common parlance for the constitution stat. Filter hits it every time.

Rexthor007
03-04-2014, 01:08 PM
Basicly its all about being nice to each other so we can have fun in the game and obeying some forum rules.
Your friend Rexit