PDA

View Full Version : New Character Slot for Monk Release

Samadhi
04-06-2008, 11:00 PM
This is not a petition. This is FLAT OUT BEGGING.

Please PLEASE add an additional character slot when monks are released. Previously I thought I could live without a monk, but the video I just got referred to was awesome.

New class + new slot = MONTHS OF ENJOYMENT

If you give me two spots I'll make two to test different styles even.

It is very difficult to beg in a post, but /grovels for a slot for a monk.

I am curious if anyone would have any reason NOT to do this?

Deriaz
04-06-2008, 11:10 PM

Yes. . .

. . .

. . . But it would take me about 3 days straight thinking, a very twisted sense of logic, and a touch of insanity to give you one.

I'd love another character slot, or even two. :3

-D

BlueLightBandit
04-06-2008, 11:11 PM
What makes you think they won't? I mean, we have exactly the same number of reasons to think they will as to think they won't.

Chances are they will, but a desperate plea on the forums isn't likely to make them go one way or another.

Angelus_dead
04-07-2008, 12:11 AM
What makes you think they won't? I mean, we have exactly the same number of reasons to think they will as to think they won't.
They might not do it because of the server merge. Those players who had multiple characters on servers which got merged would probably not receive a new slot if Turbine simply does the obvious thing and increments the limit of characters you may create.

Chances are they will, but a desperate plea on the forums isn't likely to make them go one way or another.
Why do you hate forums? What is it about the idea of customer feedback that terrifies you so, that you must belittle it whenever it occurs?

Samadhi
04-07-2008, 12:22 AM

No I do agree with you Blue - there's as much reason to assume that they will do it as they won't.

I just really REALLY want them to do it - and since I hadn't seen it mentioned anywhere else yet :D

Citymorg
04-07-2008, 04:40 AM
/signed. Full up now, want /monk=need another slot

Aesop
04-07-2008, 04:51 AM
I would definately like an extra character slot ... and in fact I'd like a new character slot everytime we got a new class. I'd also like them to add a premium service option to buy another charcter slot... 9.99 14.99 heck 24.99 It would be a nice feature

Aesop

Hvymetal
04-07-2008, 05:02 AM
I would definately like an extra character slot ... and in fact I'd like a new character slot everytime we got a new class. I'd also like them to add a premium service option to buy another charcter slot... 9.99 14.99 heck 24.99 It would be a nice feature

AesopI'm on board with that, I have too many alts, might as well feed my addiction :o

RazorrX
04-07-2008, 06:45 AM
Memory is faulty and all, but I thought they once said that they were thinking of a new slot for each race/class they added. In the interview with Kate, I got the impression that it was still undecided yet. OF course she said that about more hotbars and here they come, so you never know.

DaveyCrockett
04-07-2008, 06:53 AM
After the 'State of the Game Address' last year led on that monks were coming in 2007, it was stated that they plan to always add character slots when they add classes/races.

I'm not looking for that post. It was probably lost in that fubar last year, but it was posted.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-07-2008, 07:16 AM
After the 'State of the Game Address' last year led on that monks were coming in 2007, it was stated that they plan to always add character slots when they add classes/races.

I'm not looking for that post. It was probably lost in that fubar last year, but it was posted.

But more recently Kate said they were only thinking of adding another slot but they hadn't decided. We all know that anything from previous state of the game addresses is not set in stone...

Asp, I'm with you, I'd pay for extra slots. How about a premium service doubling my fee and doubling my spots in return?

We don't just need 1 for monks, we need more to meet our playstyles. I still believe I will eventually quit this game when I run out of slots, not over anything else.

Kalvantus
04-07-2008, 07:39 AM
How about a premium service doubling my fee and doubling my spots in return?

Or ... just start a new account :)

Sure you will have to grind out the favor for 32 pt. builds, but its worth it for all those extra slots... or maybe im just insane ... or bored ...

Little of column A ..... Little of Column B

Kerrn_Siff
04-07-2008, 07:51 AM
Memory is faulty and all, but I thought they once said that they were thinking of a new slot for each race/class they added. In the interview with Kate, I got the impression that it was still undecided yet. OF course she said that about more hotbars and here they come, so you never know.

I think they have added a new slot fairly regularly with major updates and rewards (Drow). Being able to buy one would be great for those who are ddo addicts, and would bring in some extra cash to Turbine :) great idea.

As for hotbars I've had 14+ on some of my toons for, well, a long time (I think the dragon was still new?). Are you referring to something else in the above?

Vyctor
04-07-2008, 08:45 AM
Speaking of accounts, let's say I open a second account, if I transfer a 1750 character there, does that account get the minor benefit of 32 point builds, or does it only work if the character hits 1750 while part of that account?

Dariun
04-07-2008, 08:54 AM
They should definitely give a new slot to players whenever a new class or race is released.

Unfortunately, I don't think it will help people like me who are well over the limit due to the server merge. Even if they gave us another slot, I'd probably have to delete 4 or 5 characters to get under the limit again. :(

On the plus side, one of those extra characters is a level 1 human paladin with fairly balanced stats. Hmmm, and I picked up a wisdom tome last night that I wasn't sure what to do with...

Lorien_the_First_One
04-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Sure you will have to grind out the favor for 32 pt. builds, but its worth it for all those extra slots... or maybe im just insane ... or bored ...

I will not grind to 32 point or even drow again. It's annoying. So while I will happily give them the extra money for double the slots, I won't give them another penny to start a second account

Speaking of accounts, let's say I open a second account, if I transfer a 1750 character there, does that account get the minor benefit of 32 point builds, or does it only work if the character hits 1750 while part of that account?

They will not let you move a char to a different account, only another server on the same account. You have to grind to 32 pt from scratch again if you start a second account

Dimicron
04-07-2008, 09:12 AM

Aesop

/signed

Dimicron
04-07-2008, 09:15 AM

The grind makes this a let down at best. Grinding out 1750 favor is many things, but fun is not one of them. The grind is what's stopped me from buying a 2nd account.

UriahHeep
04-07-2008, 09:25 AM
One has to wonder how we ever got along with only 5 character slots? I hope they let us have another character slot when the monk is released, but you just never know.

What I recall when the servers were merged was that anyone that had more than the alloted amount of character slots would keep them until deleted. In order to create a new character you would have to delete until you are one below the alloted amount of slots.

Samadhi
04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
As to the 2nd account - I agree with many of the other posters here that the grind back to 1750 is just too much - there's no way I would do it again and therefore no way I would pick up a second account.

As to installing a one time fee, say $29.99, that would upgrade my account to a deluxe acount with 20 character slots, where do I put in my credit card number?

I mean, let's face it, this game is only in the past 6 months getting up to the amount of content desired by games that put in a lot of hours. Fortunately, this game has something else very good going for it - endless diversity in character builds. The end result, is that those of us that play a lot, spend a lot of time creating new and inventive character builds. It's what allows us to continue enjoying the game. But enough rambling - bring on more slots!!

Shaamis
04-07-2008, 09:52 AM

A desperate plea from 1% of the forums = no chance
A desperate plea from 50% of the forums = good chance
A desperate plea from 90% of the forums = <Turbine, you fill in the blank>

If you feel it should/shouldn't be, let your feelings known.

Yvonne_Blacksword
04-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Q: Will we have more character slots?
A: We don't have a decision on that yet.

http://www.massively.com/2008/03/15/ddo-qanda-mod-7-the-monk-and-more/

Tharlak
04-07-2008, 11:46 AM
While I'm not entirely sure that I want to play a monk, without an extra character slot I could not even consider it (I enjoy my other characters too much to delete one).

rfachini
04-07-2008, 01:08 PM
The character transfer service is, in effect, a way to pay for a new character. You'd make it on another server then transfer it to the server you want. They have stated that you can transfer to a "full" server.

Personally I have 14 chars on one server due to bonus slots and the server merge. I made two characters to be multi-class monks and have one set up to be a multi-class druid.

sparkling_diamond_l
04-07-2008, 01:13 PM
/signed....I would love to have another character slot for a Monk. Plus it would make sense since right now the max slots you can have is 9. So why not make it an even 10? :)

Samadhi
04-07-2008, 06:32 PM
The character transfer service is, in effect, a way to pay for a new character. You'd make it on another server then transfer it to the server you want. They have stated that you can transfer to a "full" server.

Personally I have 14 chars on one server due to bonus slots and the server merge. I made two characters to be multi-class monks and have one set up to be a multi-class druid.

A) Cool idea - didn't think of just having a toon moved.

B) Still creates the problem that, if I want a 32pnt, I'm now going to have to get 1750 favor on another server. That would be even more of a pain (although admittedly cheaper) than a second account.

I'm still going to beg and plead for another slot. PLLEEEEAAASE!!!!!

BlueLightBandit
04-07-2008, 06:34 PM
A desperate plea from 90% of the forums = <Turbine, you fill in the blank>

Evasion in heavy armor.
Human Versatility.
"New" Raid Loot distribution.
Server merge character slots limits.

90% of the forums WHEN? For a week, a month, a year? All of these had a large amount of support/disdain but Turbine made their decisions based on where THEY wanted the game to be regardless of what feedback they were getting on the forums.

I'm just trying to point out that large number of people screaming for something out of their control is just as pointless as a small number...

But a well thought out idea that sparks conversation by the Turbine watercooler is more likely to make it into the game. Character slots is one of those mundane things that has probably already been decided by an accountant and an IT engineer that we're just gonna hafta live with... regardless of our complaints.

Samadhi
04-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Here's a thought.

Someone in this thread mentioned paying to move a character from another server - and that this was fine from Turbine even if it put you over your character limit.

If that's the case, then it should be quite simple to implement a fee for the addition of a blank slot on my character creation screen. They are effectively the same thing, except that in option two I can make a 32 point build.

I'm game for that.

Lorien_the_First_One
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
As to the 2nd account - I agree with many of the other posters here that the grind back to 1750 is just too much - there's no way I would do it again and therefore no way I would pick up a second account.

As to installing a one time fee, say $29.99, that would upgrade my account to a deluxe acount with 20 character slots, where do I put in my credit card number?

I mean, let's face it, this game is only in the past 6 months getting up to the amount of content desired by games that put in a lot of hours. Fortunately, this game has something else very good going for it - endless diversity in character builds. The end result, is that those of us that play a lot, spend a lot of time creating new and inventive character builds. It's what allows us to continue enjoying the game. But enough rambling - bring on more slots!!

Well said.

Shaamis
04-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Evasion in heavy armor.
Human Versatility.
"New" Raid Loot distribution.
Server merge character slots limits.

90% of the forums WHEN? For a week, a month, a year? All of these had a large amount of support/disdain but Turbine made their decisions based on where THEY wanted the game to be regardless of what feedback they were getting on the forums.

I'm just trying to point out that large number of people screaming for something out of their control is just as pointless as a small number...

But a well thought out idea that sparks conversation by the Turbine watercooler is more likely to make it into the game. Character slots is one of those mundane things that has probably already been decided by an accountant and an IT engineer that we're just gonna hafta live with... regardless of our complaints.

Evasion in heavy armor. was against core rules, and made sense not to go with the forums, and not change it
Human Versatility.is Turbine's own concoction, therefore they can do what they think will balance the game in their fashion.
"New" Raid Loot distribution.is Turbine's own concoction, therefore they can do what they think will balance the game in their fashion BUT they should listen to what the community is willing to stick around for.
Server merge character slots limits.is Turbine's own concoction, therefore they can do what they think will balance the game in their fashion BUT they should listen to what the community is willing to stick around for.

Jaywade
04-08-2008, 10:01 AM

Aesop
man twice in one day something is wrong here

/ signed, /agree

I'm on board with that, I have too many alts, might as well feed my addiction :o
me too bro it's gotten so bad that now I have no mule (deleted him) and no more slots for new toons...which is quite a let down

yeah she did say that I hope they make up thier minds on that, and do what only makes sense to many of us

I would galdly pay a one time fee of up to 30 dollars for 10 more slots , or I would galdly play up to 5.99 more a month for up to 20 total slots .....

best thing about this game is what you can do w/ your toons....why they limit this I don't know

Luthen
04-08-2008, 10:52 AM

Probably true. HOWEVER. Saying nothing at all ever is a guarentee to not have your request heard at all. Better a miniscule chance then none at all. IMHO.

DasLurch
04-08-2008, 03:01 PM
You wanted a reason as for why we don't have more slots, OP? I'd bet that the people at Turbine want us to open another account :)

As for that, I'd be against opening another account because I wouldn't have my 1750 on it. I'd love to have another slot or 2. Who wouldn't?

llevenbaxx
04-08-2008, 03:29 PM

Cant hurt either.:)

BlueLightBandit
04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Cant hurt either.:)

Unless of course the devs have to filter through the "I want <insert ridiculous poorly thought out idea here>" or "Change the <insert latest mod feature here> or I'm quitting the game" threads and have gotten so used to the muck that they rarely look for actual inspiration on the forums.

Let's not even start on the "<Insert my favorite race/class here> are nerfed/overpowered" and "<Insert latest other MMO here> is gonna be the end of DDO" discussions that are so prevalent around here.

I mean, request something that nobody's thought of, something creative and original. Don't request something that was more than likely decided on six months ago by a executive level accountant who's never played the game.

Cuth
04-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Sign me up for the list of people who would gladly pay for some extra slots, but will NEVER buy a second account.

Building characters is probably my favourite part of the game (and I think a lot of people share this passion ... at least as many people love building characters as love loot farming and the farmers are much more supported by the game design.)

I am seriously constrained on characters, and have another 10 builds I would love to try (not counting monks and all the various options they will offer.) However, once I exhaust my current slots a big part of what I enjoy about the game will be lost and I wonder how long I'll stick around after that.

Give us a monk slot and then sell us 10 more. :)

slumbering_dragon
04-09-2008, 01:54 PM
This is not a petition. This is FLAT OUT BEGGING.

Please PLEASE add an additional character slot when monks are released. Previously I thought I could live without a monk, but the video I just got referred to was awesome.

New class + new slot = MONTHS OF ENJOYMENT

If you give me two spots I'll make two to test different styles even.

It is very difficult to beg in a post, but /grovels for a slot for a monk.

what video did u see? can u post it so i can get a look at it. plz!

Samadhi
04-09-2008, 04:51 PM
what video did u see? can u post it so i can get a look at it. plz!

Why certainly!!

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/29040

Favorite quote in this is....

"Wait let me NOT go into the undead area..."

One other point, while I'm stopping through. While several people mentioned being willing to pay a ONE TIME fee for additional slots, there was one poster that mentioned being willing to pay an additional monthly fee for additional slots. I debated this one a bit, and I think there is one clear reason why this cannot be implemented. What if I no longer want to pay the "premium" fee for my account? Am I no longer allowed to have my account at all because of its special flag? Are the account police going to stop through and make me delete characters until I'm back in regulation? Problems like these make me think that, were this to be added as a premium service, it would have to be in the form of a one time fee (just like a character transfer for example).

Until then, however, I would like to proceed to begging and/or groveling for additional slots to make customers like me thrilled with the endless variety of character builds offered by this astounding game :D (no one ever accused me of sucking up :P )