PDA

View Full Version : Solo content? Doesn't seem right.

Kromize
04-04-2008, 07:36 AM
So, I have ran some solo quests for once(I usually do them on normal by myself, but figured I try solo).

Pretty easy, 'bout what I'd expect from a "solo" difficulty I guess... But what is up with the xp? If anything, there should be a bonus for solo xp, or just no change from normal at all except the monsters are a bit easier.

Why take off xp when you want to solo? Running the solo version is a lot harder than running on normal with a full group, and you get less xp. There is NO reason to run it....:confused:

Well, that's my opinion.

Any others?

Zuldar
04-04-2008, 07:49 AM
So, I have ran some solo quests for once(I usually do them on normal by myself, but figured I try solo).

Pretty easy, 'bout what I'd expect from a "solo" difficulty I guess... But what is up with the xp? If anything, there should be a bonus for solo xp, or just no change from normal at all except the monsters are a bit easier.

Why take off xp when you want to solo? Running the solo version is a lot harder than running on normal with a full group, and you get less xp. There is NO reason to run it....:confused:

Well, that's my opinion.

Any others?

It's worth less because it is easier. If it was worth just as much or more, there would be no incentive to solo it on normal instead.

Yvonne_Blacksword
04-04-2008, 08:57 AM
sure..it is easier on SOLO level..
maybe too easy...

but is it any easier than taking a full party through on normal?

prolly not.
no one to discuss strategy with.
no prior knowledge of the quest except what you bring with you.
limited to what you personally bring into the quest therefore possibly taking more prep time/considerations...

sure..you can kill lowbie mobs with one hit instead of three...but you hae a sixth of the resources.

1/3th of the damage needed to kill a mob
1/6th of the ability to do so...

hmmmm....

of course...there is no herding kittens...so that might make it supremely easy...

Dariun
04-04-2008, 09:03 AM
I thought in the last update they changed it so solo and normal have the same XP??

At least, I'm pretty sure the last few solo quests I did (all lvl 2) were giving the same XP as normal. I was pretty happy about that...

cdbd3rd
04-04-2008, 09:08 AM
I thought in the last update they changed it so solo and normal have the same XP??

At least, I'm pretty sure the last few solo quests I did (all lvl 2) were giving the same XP as normal. I was pretty happy about that...

Not going to go check, but IIRC the solo XP was bumped from 50% of norm to 80% of norm.

...now if they would just put in a little somethin-somethin in those little solo-only quests (like the 1-3 heal-lite pots in explosive) to make it worth the 1-3 minutes we waste in there for 3 points of favor. ;)

Uska
04-04-2008, 09:14 AM
NO there should be a bonus for full groups this is a mmo and should promote grouping not discourage it.

Yvonne_Blacksword
04-04-2008, 09:51 AM
ponder this...
If this was intended to force people to group...
they would require you to log in with other people.
You would not be able to log in on your own...

It is like this. I have a capped sorc.
She has been in 3 groups in 2 weeks.

She has become my main. But I always solo on her as, on my server, when I log in, there are no groups she is eligible for.
There were 3 different reaver raids last night. My sorc needs to do the TOR to get blooded.
In 2 weeks I have not seen one group doing tor.

She is shroud ready. The one time I saw a shroud group forming in need of a caster, I had already been invited. I had just gotten finished with some solo looting and got a tell.

There are often times when there just isn't anything to do.

It isn't like I am turning down stuff...Unless I know I will be a detriment to the party...Like that one time I got invited to do ghosts...and knew I had little that would work.

Soloing is something you do to burn off steam, while away time between parties, challenge yourself, complete a quest that no one seems to be interested in doing, clean out some missing favor.

It isn't often a thing we chose to do...unless we are mindlessly beating our heads against some random spawning chests in hopes of gaining something that seems to have that .8% probability in dropping...

Ok, you might think the 3 groups in 2 weeks is odd. So do I. I game 8+ hours a night. 7 days a week. I think I might have been sick on the couch for one of those days...

You might say, "Start your own bleeding group!"....To which I would say...Not my thing.
I hate being held responsible for others deaths.
I don't mind it if I know I could solo the quest...

But then again...if I could solo the quest...Why bother forming a group, maing sure ther are enough of everything the rest of the group might need, making sure everyone else know how to get to the quest, explaining the ultimate goal...stategies...trying to remember to mention the key information that is imbedded in my memory...(Oh, You should have jumped over that like I did, and you prolly should have had a fire pot...and known there was a mob waiting around the corner...sorry!), making sure no one wanders off, 1 agroing unnecessary mobs, 2 knowing that when I say dont kill X I MEAN IT!!!!, 3getting lost, 4 going afk for 30 minutes in a respawn area, 5 going afk for 30 minutes in a quest where all the party members need to make it to a particular place...

It is called...Herding Kittens...ever try it...get a bunch of soft fluffy creatures to understand that you want...NEED them to get to a certain goal area...and have them agree that this is in their best interest? While they yell out random stuff like MEOW! (I played WOW, EQ, U, BLAH...) or MEW! (I have 4 capped toons and all of them dual wield vorpals!!) or RAOW!(I didn't know you could get an extra chest if you didn't kill any of those)....Soft fluffy creatures have minds of thier own. They have their own interests...Often, they do not consider females leaders...but instead nurturers...there to care for them and kiss their boo boos and fluff their egos...

So...Why don't I lead?
I will, If the person who formed the group...has asked for a guide.
And no one else steps up.
Or the event has spent too much time being disasterous...painful...and costly...and the simple solution has been overlooked.

Other wise, I am happy to let others.

And If that does not happen, if there is no one leading and no one to lead...well...that is soloing.

Bashiba
04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
I have found that the solo version of quests are almost ridiculously easy. I do lots of soloing and almost never do the solo difficulty, except for a few that are worth high xp vs quick completions like information is key and Kobolds New Ringleaders. Otherwise I just solo on normal and up, and I think lots of other solo'ers people probably do the same.

GreyRogue
04-04-2008, 10:32 AM
I have found that the solo version of quests are almost ridiculously easy. I do lots of soloing and almost never do the solo difficulty, except for a few that are worth high xp vs quick completions like information is key and Kobolds New Ringleaders. Otherwise I just solo on normal and up, and I think lots of other solo'ers people probably do the same.
Agreed. But then again, I've been playing this game for more than 2 years and I know a lot of the quests really really well. That definitely makes soloing easier. For those who are new to the game and want to try soloing, Solo difficulty probably makes sense while they are still learning the quests. On the other hand, Solo difficulty is kind of shockingly easy when compared to Normal. That's why it should have less of an XP reward.

As far as whether having fewer people in your party should give more experience, I don't think that's a good idea. As the game is now, grouping is certainly not required. You can quest exclusively by yourself to a pretty high level if that's your thing and you're willing to go slow and maybe use more resources. You can also do a lot in the game in a small group, like a duo or trio. However, grouping is definitely encouraged by the game design. There is no penalty for having a full group, so why not take a full group along to make it go more smoothly? This is quite different than a lot of other MMOs where solo play is the default. In my opinion, playing DDO in a group is generally more fun than going off by myself (I do sometimes like the challenge of soloing, too). Anything that would discourage grouping would change the nature of the game and make it less fun, at least for me. That's why I don't support giving any tangible benefit to those who choose to test themselves by soloing content designed for a group, even though it's harder.

Zenako
04-04-2008, 10:47 AM
The solo setting is so easy for a veteran player who solos much at all, that I never even consider using it except for those harbor quests with no other option. I might consider it if I was soloing a quest I had never run before with anyone, but even then, would view it as an easy out. A lot of the people choosing to run things solo, do so for the challenge and the flexibility. I can step away from the keyboard for 10 minutes and not impact anyone else if I have things going on at home that need tending for example, while that would be rude and awkward while in a group.

they did up the EXP to 80% recently...

Dariun
04-04-2008, 10:52 AM
Solo setting is "easy" for veterans; especially with twinked characters.

But imagine a new player going into Butchers Path with a level 2 halfling rogue with 8 strength (note that a lvl 2 halfling rogue will not have weapon finesse yet).

That's who solo setting is for.

BTW, I've been playing a new WF wizard, and I just barely got through Kobold Brothers on normal when I was level 2 (and burned through a bunch of wands/scrolls/potions in the process). I then stuck on "solo" setting for most of the other level 2 quests until I hit level 3 and took repeating heavy crossbow as a feat :cool:; since then I've been finding it a little easier to take on the quests on normal.

Kromize
04-04-2008, 03:39 PM

naa, they reduced the penalty from -50% xp to -30% xp or sumthin....not to sure, but something like that...~_~

Vormaerin
04-04-2008, 04:43 PM
The arguments about numbers of players involved are rather tricky. After all, it is far easier to do content with 6 than with 4, yet there is no change in the xp. Experience awards are the carrot, so they should be set to favor what the Devs want to see done. Hence, normal gives a lot more xp than solo (solo doesn't have a first time bonus, does it?).

It is easier to do solo than to do normal by yourself. Solo shrines reset three times as fast and the mobs are weaker. That doesn't mean that solo is easy, especially for low level rogues and wizards. But it is easier than normal.

Snoggy
04-04-2008, 05:13 PM
The more quests they can 'flag' with solo, the more the devs can point out how they are adding to the solo aspect of DDO. Making a certain vocal set of players happy that they are trying to accomodate their playstyle.

But the tricky (and clever) aspect of it is ... it's still far easier, far more efficient, and far more effective to play DDO like you would Dungeons and Dragons. Get a group of adventurers together and go find yourself a dungeon/quest/adventure.

I'm ok with this practice. I find it clever. But that's just me. Others will have a varying opinion on how this works I am sure.

Chaosjihad
04-04-2008, 06:18 PM
... play DDO like you would Dungeons and Dragons...

Well, when I was a teenager, I lived so far out in the country that during the summers, I had to play pnp by myself during the week. So....yeah, solo content ftw.

Dariun
04-04-2008, 10:42 PM
But the tricky (and clever) aspect of it is ... it's still far easier, far more efficient, and far more effective to play DDO like you would Dungeons and Dragons. Get a group of adventurers together and go find yourself a dungeon/quest/adventure.

You know, I think everyone realizes that groups are far more efficient.

For some of us, it is just impractical (real life does not allow chain quests to be completed) or -- to be perfectly honest -- less fun to group very much. We like DDO. We like the game, the look, the feel, the combat, the quests, the character building, the fact that is it reasonably close to D&D, but we aren't all that eager to deal with some of the social aspects of the game.

I have a job where I talk to people all day. I get tired of talking to people. And I'm a manager, so I have tell people what to do all day and deal with people who are unhappy with each other because one of them doesn't think they other one is doing their job the way it should be done. Basically, I spend my whole day organizing stuff, telling people what to do, and listening to people complain.

At the end of the day, sometimes it's just not worth it to me to risk ending up in a group that is going to be just like my day at work... even if the chance is only 5% that the group will be that way. Not worth it.