PDA

View Full Version : Precision

Jesen
04-04-2008, 12:06 AM
Ok, so I have taken precision to test it on my rogue. I think its a great feat to have when you are trying to Banish/Smite/Stat damage etc.
What I was wondering though, does it half ALL my damage or just my first number. For example, I sneak attack a mob...my rapier hits Base damage + Sneak attack + Elemental damage, are all those values halved when using precision or is it calculated differently?
The reason I am asking this is it better for me to take Improved 2 weapon fighting for the extra attack or hold on to precision for those tough to hit mobs.

Any advice is appreciated,

-Seblin

Edit: Oh, also I am a Pure Rogue Dex based. So no extra + to my attacks from multiclassing

Aeneas
04-04-2008, 07:44 AM
If you're having trouble hitting things as a pure rogue, just carry a divine power clicky for times when you know you'll be needing an extra 3 or 4 points of to-hit bonus and use that feat for an extra attack via ITWF. At level 16 as a rogue a divine power clicky will give you a minute or so of +4 to hit.

Ricter
04-04-2008, 07:48 AM
If you're having trouble hitting things as a pure rogue, just carry a divine power clicky for times when you know you'll be needing an extra 3 or 4 points of to-hit bonus and use that feat for an extra attack via ITWF. At level 16 as a rogue a divine power clicky will give you a minute or so of +4 to hit.

Between that, HV IV and destruction weapons I have no troubles hitting with my specials anymore.

I would really suggest dropping precision for ITWF and GTWF, and only taking Precision for a filler spot or something of the sorts. Just not worth it anymore, now that it halves sneak attack damage.

captain1z
04-05-2008, 02:27 AM
Ok, so I have taken precision to test it on my rogue. I think its a great feat to have when you are trying to Banish/Smite/Stat damage etc.
What I was wondering though, does it half ALL my damage or just my first number. For example, I sneak attack a mob...my rapier hits Base damage + Sneak attack + Elemental damage, are all those values halved when using precision or is it calculated differently?
The reason I am asking this is it better for me to take Improved 2 weapon fighting for the extra attack or hold on to precision for those tough to hit mobs.

Any advice is appreciated,

-Seblin

Edit: Oh, also I am a Pure Rogue Dex based. So no extra + to my attacks from multiclassing

ok so its late night and I happened upon your post, I also noticed your question was never answered.

To answer it = My rogue 9 pure rogue has precision and was disappionted at 1st to see that both my base damage and my sneak attack damage are halved when its toggled on. I dont have any elemental damage weapons on him so I cant say if those are half as well.

Wanna turn lemons into lemonade, heres my recipe

Take 1 precision feat that cuts all your weapons damage by one half

add +4 to hit with all your weapons
add 5D6 sneak attack damage
add stat damage or burst effects to taste

Increase damage by turning taking out precision
Dont worry if you find theres too much aggro in your mixture, just add some more precision to balance it out

At 10th level you can add crippling strike paired with a wounder or puncturer and drain large amounts of both Strength and Constitution while doing minimal damage thanks to precision and subtle backstabber, effectively killing your opponent while never getting his attention.

Like I said before If you feel you can add more damage without getting the aggro just turn precision off and throw up the big numbers for a while.

no reason you cant take Improved 2wf also later..... but being a rouge and not a primary melee, you wanna make each hit count. Its quality vs quantity.

Do you wanna do

5 attacks at 50 pts each gain some aggro and kill your opponent shortly after

or

4 attacks at 25 pts plus 1-6 pts of con damage and 2 pts of str damage per hit and possibly kill your opponent before he ever turns around

Venar
04-05-2008, 02:38 AM
I love precision for elite quests.
You know, these quests where melee give up on damage and just use banishers/disruptors/vorpals/wounding.
Precision means you hit more often, and critic more, and confirm the critics more. It also means you confirm the vorpal 20 more. And wound more.
Is it always on? No. Is it usefull sometimes? Sure, it's a question of personal preferences.

krud
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
only base and sneak damage is halved. stat/elemental/alignment/bursting damage is not.

Jesen
04-10-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for all the info, I decided to go with GTWF since I am a Assassin build and I have plenty of +'s to my sneak attacks. I only really attack mobs that are distracted already and I seem to plow through them even on Elite. The minus to damage was just too much for me to use precision.

Cheers,

flatlyne2001
04-10-2008, 06:37 PM
At level 16 as a rogue a divine power clicky will give you a minute or so of +4 to hit.

I have 4 different items with clickies of it, they are only good for about 40seconds. But that nice BAB boost is great :)

sigtrent
04-10-2008, 09:56 PM
I've found precision handy for low level characters who want to hit and just do elemental damage. Once you get a bit higher I don't think it makes much sense as you can usualy get a decent to-hit via other means.

I started my combat wizard with finesse and precision and +9 to hit at level 1 was great was pretty handy. I didn't do a lot of damage but I pretty much hit on every swing.

After about level 8 or so I dropped presision for a casting feat.

joeuhuh
04-21-2008, 04:51 AM
i think precision is prety good for a prepeater build so u dont get aggro machingunning and can keep geting sneak dmg consistintly even though ur dmg is reduced its more constand and less runin around screamin for mama

Nevthial
04-21-2008, 05:02 AM
i think precision is prety good for a prepeater build so u dont get aggro machingunning and can keep geting sneak dmg consistintly even though ur dmg is reduced its more constand and less runin around screamin for mama

A wounding repeater with Precision is nasty. Very little hp of damage per hit with their Con dropping...looks cool when they die with a nearly full health bar. :)

Aesop
04-21-2008, 05:12 AM
When stat damaging and effect using without wanting to draw a lot of aggro from your sneak attack Precision works very well between that and Subtly backstabber you should have no trouble keeping the aggro off of yourself. Pick up a puncturer and you'll see happy happy death

Aesop