PDA

View Full Version : Two Handed Fighting and max DPS

PSU93
04-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Rolling my first pure Fighter (!) and I want to maximize DPS. Is THF (say with a Greatsword) the way to go? I've never had a character with this Feat before and I'm not sure about the "glancing blows", etc.

While I'm on the topic, is Fighter better than Barbarian from a DPS standpoint? Realizing this is the Fighters forum... objectively what are everyone's thoughts?

Appreciate the feedback from experienced players.

FluffyCalico
04-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Rolling my first pure Fighter (!) and I want to maximize DPS. Is THF (say with a Greatsword) the way to go? I've never had a character with this Feat before and I'm not sure about the "glancing blows", etc.

While I'm on the topic, is Fighter better than Barbarian from a DPS standpoint? Realizing this is the Fighters forum... objectively what are everyone's thoughts?

Appreciate the feedback from experienced players.

1) Barbs are basically high damage versions of fighters (they deal more and take more) oh do they take more
2) With bad gear 2 hand is better DPS
3) With awsome gear 2-1 hand weapons is.

Premier
04-15-2008, 05:39 PM
My first character created on the day the game came out is a 2HF Focused Fighter, 28pt. I just took him out of the closet a few weeks ago. Prior to this he hit lvl 12 when the cap was 12 (he just barely hit lvl 12 and was not "capped" per se). I've been doing some forum research on ways to keep him up to par with all the changes that have occurred since day one. I came up with 12 Fighter / 4 Barbarian. He's currently 12/1.

With 12 lvls of Fighter I took at all focuses and specializations for slashing and two handed fighting plus improved crit : slashing. I also took Dodge, Mobility, Spring Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave (cleave and Great Cleave are on 2 different timers a.k.a they can be one after another), and a toughness feat I think. Back in the day the AC / HP debate was fairly balanced; therefore this character had fairly balanced AC / HP. That is not the case at the moment.

The 4 Barbarian levels I am going to take with this character will give me slightly more HP (through levels and Barbarian CON bonuses), Rage, Fast Movement, and Uncanny Dodge. Going straight Fighter will give me 2 more bonus Fighter feats.

My character is in no way the best build nowadays but he has faired well through the times. I would change his starting stats a bit (lower dex, increase con, keep str maxed like he has it now), and roll him as a 32pt'er but I can't delete him; I get too attached!

To answer your questions (I think I've been ranting on about my character instead :) ) use a Falchion for the 15-20 crit range with improved crit: slashing. My glancing blows do about 20 points of damage. I believe I hit with glancing blows when clicking cleave and great cleave on top of the initial damage done by the attacks. I'm thinking a straight Barbarian will out DPS me slightly. With that statement though, I can work on my AC and maintain my DPS much easier than a Barbarian can.

Peace!

-Premier

Vodac
04-21-2008, 07:58 PM
barbs will out damage fighters.

if you want max dps with a 2H fighter make sur you get. max you str and con get
power attack
2H fighting
I2H fighting
G2H fighting
Improved Crit
Power Crit
weapon spec slash
Imp weapon spec slash
G weapon spec slash

My 2H fighter does 20 to 30 splash 40 to 50 damage and 100 to 160 crit thats not max DPS but good for 2H fighter

Dwarfs get mor hp and bouns to axe damage all thoe my fighter is WF dwarf could proble do more damage if i made it the same way i made my WF.