PDA

View Full Version : Deleting a character and losing a years worth of stuff!

SamSneak
04-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Ok, first before you have your huge laugh at my expense, let me tell you what I was trying to do.

I was trying to reroll my character and I messed up. I deleted the character, but he still had TWO BANK SPACES full of equipment. In either case I lost over 2 years worth of equipment including two sun swords, +5 full mithral plate, and untold amount of other equipment.

Why is it that it is so hard to either

a) get a print out of your character including what is in your bank? A suggesstion that has been echoed many times.

b) when YOU DELETE A CHARACTER IT WOULD WARN YOU if you still had stuff in your bank.

c) or more importantly have shared bank space between your characters!

anyways this has really upset me, losing this much stuff and so hard to replace is very very discouraging.

Varr
04-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I like the leveling part of character development and to promote this almost instinctively put my capped toons on a death row timer. Each of the 25? times I have rerolled I have had 60ish bank items and 100 character items of some value to mail and bounce around. Because the primary (imo) driving goal of this game is accumulation (xp, plat, items) the effort of moving them around and finding space for them (coin lord favor and house k favor) as fast as that rerolled toon will allow has a small sence of accompishment tied to it. Getting that 150ith house k favor as you finish von 4 on e at level 10 and getting 20 more spots for your sweet swag has a positive feel to it. It is deff not easy, but it is another sublte challenge to keep the constant content freshish. With that being said, a big red stop sign warning players they forgot to mail something from bank or mail box would be helpfull to many. Ive done this before, so I can relate.

MrWizard
04-03-2008, 03:54 PM
I never could understand the reason for them programming the non interactiveness between your own characters.

A shared bank space would be easy. I can trade anything under the sun with another person's toon, but It could take all day to mail things...and each mail there is a chance of losing things too.

Deleting characters is always tough. You never are sure if you remembered to take the 14 hours needed to move everything or not. It does not appear that this is part of their design nor their future plans to integrate character generation, deletion, or intra-toon interactions.

There should be a better system, but money is programming is money. Can't do it all, even if we are willing to pay for it.

Beherit_Baphomar
Ummmm.

You made a mistake, its not the games fault...

Although a warning, like we do with mail, before deleting anyone with items on their person would be a good thing.

Mercules
Does this mean we are going to have another, "Are you sure... I mean really, really sure? Absolutely sure you want to do this as in positively sure and not going to just glance at this screen and hit OK any way sure?" button?

Rekker
04-03-2008, 03:57 PM
A shared bank has been brought up before. Would be a nice reward for say, 2000 favor.

Stonebread
04-03-2008, 04:05 PM
Ouch. That sux.

I did something similar on my first deleted character. But fortunately I didn't have anything that good at the time.

Deriaz
04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Ouch. That sux.

I did something similar on my first deleted character. But fortunately I didn't have anything that good at the time.

Same here. Rerolled a Ranger. Except I didn't realize it until a week later that my Ranger had a Ring of Feathers on it. Man, that killed my mood real fast.

As for the OP. . . Ouch. That's about all I can think to say, is just. . . Ouch. :x I know it's probably not what you wanna hear, but it happens. Hard as it is, I'd say just try and move on.

Though a shared bank would be kinda cool. . . I dunno about a 2000 Favor, though. 1750 is already good, and there's a huge gap from 400 to 1750. What about a 1000 Favor reward? Maybe 850, at lowest. Something kinda high, but not too high that you have to grind for it.

-D

Lithic
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
They ALREADY have a confirmation for character deletion. Its the little box where you have to type in your character's name.

One confirm is enough. Its not hard to take one quick look in the bank and inventory before you delete a character (an uncommon, and rather important time in a charcter's life that merits more care).

Frodo_Lives
04-03-2008, 05:11 PM
To the OP, I feel for ya. I really do, that absolutely sucks because it sounds like you lost a lot of really good and hard to replace (at least for some of us) stuff.

But bottom line is if you are deleting a character that has either been used as a mule or has been around long enough to accumulate that kind of loot then it is no ones fault but your own that you didn't check and double check to make sure that you sold/mailed everything off that character. I'm not knocking you, I'm just stating that it's pretty tough to get mad at the game because you made a mistake.

I have deleted many many characters over my run in DDO and every single one of them that were over level 2 was stripped right down to their underwear, had their bank cleaned out, bound stuff sold, and wallet robbed.

As for your suggestions I don't really think A) is all that viable or needed, you can make a list of that stuff on your own. The resources involved may be quite intensive for the game to keep an updated list of every characters bank account every time you log off B) A warning box my be useful and shouldn't be all that hard to impliment but then again if you don't delete everything because it's not worth your time then it becomes yet another meaningless warning box that gets ignored. C) That request has been around for a while, and one that I wouldn't mind seeing for reasons other than when you delete a character.

Beherit_Baphomar
04-03-2008, 05:13 PM
They ALREADY have a confirmation for character deletion. Its the little box where you have to type in your character's name.

One confirm is enough. Its not hard to take one quick look in the bank and inventory before you delete a character (an uncommon, and rather important time in a charcter's life that merits more care).

Oh hell, I forgot about that, I rarely delete characters.

Ones enough, and the one we have makes sure you dont delete the wrong guy very well.

Vardak
04-03-2008, 05:25 PM
Ok, first before you have your huge laugh at my expense, let me tell you what I was trying to do.

I was trying to reroll my character and I messed up. I deleted the character, but he still had TWO BANK SPACES full of equipment. In either case I lost over 2 years worth of equipment including two sun swords, +5 full mithral plate, and untold amount of other equipment.

a) get a print out of your character including what is in your bank? A suggesstion that has been echoed many times.

b) when YOU DELETE A CHARACTER IT WOULD WARN YOU if you still had stuff in your bank.

anyways this has really upset me, losing this much stuff and so hard to replace is very very discouraging.

Wow, I am truly sorry this happened. I'm sure it's very disappointing to have made such a critical error. I'd suggest in the future you take a moment to log onto the character you plan to delete and double check:

a) your bank - Don't want to delete something important

b) active bids in the AH - open bids on something important

c) active posts in the AH - recent post on something important

d) guild leadership - you will terminate this relationship, might be nice to let someone know

e) friends - you will want them to know as well

f) character - Are you sure? The +2 tomes you ate will not be returned

This is of course before you click on delete, and then confirm by typing the character name. As I said above I am sorry this happened, but perhaps your readers will learn from your error and accept personal responsibility for their actions.

Impaqt
04-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Been there done that.... Lost a Whole Page of High end Kopeshes (kopeshi?) once..... Was Quite Frustrating... Vowed never to do that again...

Then One time.. AFter diligently Mailing item after item to an alt I was finally ready to Delete.... -Delete-
Hey, Wheres all my plat? DOH!(about 250kPlat)

Both times.. My Fault...... Both Times.. I learned a lesson... Didnt blame Turbine..

Nealgus
04-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Why not have a solution that helps everybody regardless of whether you are deleting a character or not.

Why not have your inventory and bank show up on the left hand side of the character selection screen when you log in? Let it keep the tabs and appear next to the character on the platform so you can look through it. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I have spent at times logging one character in after another to find a certain item that I know is on once of my 9 characters and cant remember which one it is on. Let me Highlight my character and flip through their backpacks and inventory on that screen and save us all a lot of wasted time looking for items over multiple characters. It can be a smaller version and does not need all the extra information of the inventory screen just the inventory bags displayed like the bank is shown. Just a thought for those who don't write down or have an accurate mental list of where all your stat items and bane weapons are.

Vardak
04-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Why not have a solution that helps everybody regardless of whether you are deleting a character or not.

Why not have your inventory and bank show up on the left hand side of the character selection screen when you log in? Let it keep the tabs and appear next to the character on the platform so you can look through it. I can't even begin to imagine how many hours I have spent at times logging one character in after another to find a certain item that I know is on once of my 9 characters and cant remember which one it is on. Let me Highlight my character and flip through their backpacks and inventory on that screen and save us all a lot of wasted time looking for items over multiple characters. It can be a smaller version and does not need all the extra information of the inventory screen just the inventory bags displayed like the bank is shown. Just a thought for those who don't write down or have an accurate mental list of where all your stat items and bane weapons are.

These are worthy ideas, no question about it. But the subject of the thread is:

Deleting a character and losing a years worth of stuff!

There is a rather simple solution to the stated problem and it requires no additional development time.

parvo
04-03-2008, 06:29 PM

Dude. In the end, it's all permadeath. In the end, it will all be deleted. If you value the items more than the fun of questing for them, then you're setting yourself up for disapointment.

adamkatt
04-03-2008, 06:33 PM
Been there done that.... Lost a Whole Page of High end Kopeshes (kopeshi?) once..... Was Quite Frustrating... Vowed never to do that again...

Then One time.. AFter diligently Mailing item after item to an alt I was finally ready to Delete.... -Delete-
Hey, Wheres all my plat? DOH!(about 250kPlat)

Both times.. My Fault...... Both Times.. I learned a lesson... Didnt blame Turbine..

Ive done the same thing.. For some reason i didnt blame turbine either...

Delt
04-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Meh...I did the same thing once (remembered to clear out my inventory but not my 4 bank slots). Bye bye uber stashed monk weapons and twink gear...

Also know at least two people who did this as well.

But even though I've been there and emphasize...people are always gonna screw up. It's not the games responsibility to plan for every eventual mishap a player could cause (confirming the character name on delete is ample safeguard).

So grab a tissue, wish your gear well in electronic heaven and vow never to make that mistake again.

Stonebread
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
I will say that a warning that your bank/mailbox isn't empty when deleting would be a nice feature.

Not at the top of my new features list, but nice to have.

Cyr
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
I would love shared bank slots also...as for the danger of losing stuff from deleting a toon...I feel your pain, but sometimes you have to put a little thought in upfront in ddo before doing stuff...ie leveling a character, choosing alignment, and well deleting a toon.

Nevthial
04-03-2008, 07:53 PM
My wife deleted a character recently that was storing all of our level 7-11 race restricted items. She was upset for a little while at the mistake. Oh well, there is always more loot anyways. :)

Emili
04-03-2008, 09:46 PM
Why did you not look at the characters inventories before deleting? I do not know about you all But I get a tad sentimental on deleting/reroll... I just rerolled Emilee - in my sig which now needs updating - Replaced her with Einin... I gave two years worth of bastard swords (55 in all) to my niece. Sold off the 8 raid items she had, I cleared out bank space on the other girls for the 5 pages of gear I decided to keep and mailed it all... I kept a +4 mith FP which she had worn for near two years on her and took her to a nice looking place (the spring above the house D AH) and logged her out there for the last time. Despite raid loot, two +2 tomes and 4 other +1 tomes and the fact she was a perfectly good, extremely effective character I just did not play her as much anymore - have another fighter besides, I wanted another character to bring up as it gets boring having nothing but capped toons and no other slots to try something different... Like I said I do get sentimental about a character... while I know it's just pixels and some quantified numbers, It's a little beyond that, not the items, not the xp to get there, not the tomes... it's the memories and the fun and the people I've met through that character... thus I always end up shedding a tear or so when deleting.

geoffhanna
04-03-2008, 09:52 PM

This is a really good idea.

GlassCannon
04-04-2008, 02:30 AM
I did this too and lost 2 years worth of stuff, inlcluding items like RR'd +6 INT goggles, RR'd +6 CHA ring, +6 CON necklace, some very nice daggers, a few bows, +15 Disable ML 13 gloves, +15 open lock ML 13 gloves, +15 Search goggles ML 13... you get the picture. A rogue's high end paradise. I was rerolling a rogue late at night and forgot to empty her bank(she was lvl 2).

The devs and GMs did absolutely nothing to help.

I would also like something in the way of a "This character still has items in the Kundarak Bank. Delete anyway? [Yes] [No]"

FluffyCalico
04-04-2008, 02:34 AM

You mean a warning like, Warning this is permament please confirm by entering the name of character you want to delete?

Stormanne
04-04-2008, 04:20 AM
I think we've all been there at one point or another. My greatest foible so far has been one that my guildies will never let me live down...

Mailed off everything that was in my level 8 drow bards packs- all the scrolls, weapons, plat, spell components. Logged out to delete, hit the button, typed name in the confirmation screen, hit enter and noticed as it did that little stutter just before your toon goes bye bye, that the avatar still had on the silken mail I'd had her equipped with....

Kromize
04-04-2008, 05:38 AM

Another GREAT reason for an account-wide bank!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1632784

/sign it (:

FluffyCalico
04-04-2008, 05:40 AM
Another GREAT reason for an account-wide bank!

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=1632784

/sign it (:

No account wide bank. Earn your bound items on the right toon.

gpk
04-04-2008, 05:46 AM
No account wide bank. Earn your bound items on the right toon.

You can have an account wide bank that doesn't allow you to share bound items.

Murgatroyd
04-04-2008, 08:23 AM
Since there's been talk of guild housing eventually, the shared bank problem will should be fixed then. One hopes they put in a shared guild bank similar to what's in WoW once the housing stuff is implemented. The guild leader purchases the bank space for the guild and can delegate who has what kind of access to the bank. Problems may still occur with those abusing the system and taking more from the guild bank than they put in.

Vorn
04-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Why did you not look at the characters inventories before deleting? I do not know about you all But I get a tad sentimental on deleting/reroll... I just rerolled Emilee - in my sig which now needs updating - Replaced her with Einin... I gave two years worth of bastard swords (55 in all) to my niece. Sold off the 8 raid items she had, I cleared out bank space on the other girls for the 5 pages of gear I decided to keep and mailed it all... I kept a +4 mith FP which she had worn for near two years on her and took her to a nice looking place (the spring above the house D AH) and logged her out there for the last time. Despite raid loot, two +2 tomes and 4 other +1 tomes and the fact she was a perfectly good, extremely effective character I just did not play her as much anymore - have another fighter besides, I wanted another character to bring up as it gets boring having nothing but capped toons and no other slots to try something different... Like I said I do get sentimental about a character... while I know it's just pixels and some quantified numbers, It's a little beyond that, not the items, not the xp to get there, not the tomes... it's the memories and the fun and the people I've met through that character... thus I always end up shedding a tear or so when deleting.

Thank you for this post. It really made my day.

I don't think having yet another 'are you really sure' type button is needed. I've done the same dumb things, more than once, and probably will in the future...just part of learning to be responsible. In the end, except for the memories and relationships, it's all just electrons.

SamSneak
12-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Interesting responses all: Thank you.

I reread my original post and realized that I didn't blame TURBINE for the mistake for that was mine. I was suggesting improvements to the UI experience. My mistake was that I was thinking about it for a long time, rerolling the character that is. Emptied the inventory (all 5 slots!), sold the bound items, mailed the gold, mailed extra equipment to guildies and other toons, but forgot to check the bank space one last time!

Although upset at my mistake, I analyzed what were the steps that led up to it.

I am all about making the UI a better experience.

For example when you log in and see your avatars, it would be nice to see which of your avatars have mail.

Shared bank space tab for unbound items would be very very nice.

Anyways it was just a thought. Thanks for the responses.

Since then I have built the toon up to 15th level and replaced most of the equipment.

Mavnimo
12-01-2008, 07:37 AM
sorc with focus/greater focus necromany? :)

Voalkrynn2
12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
checking everytime prior to the delete. I fortunately learned this lesson with low level characters that had little in the way of cash or items.

tihocan
12-01-2008, 09:02 AM
It's funny, I thought I remember it was possible to restore deleted characters. But I just checked in the KB and apparently they don't do it. Did it change at some point, or is it just my memory failing?

Josh
12-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Dude. In the end, it's all permadeath. In the end, it will all be deleted. If you value the items more than the fun of questing for them, then you're setting yourself up for disapointment.

Yawn.

Sobriquet
12-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Count me in, too. I recently deleted a 3/2 rgr/rog w/ two pages of high level twink gear just waiting to be used. Sucked. Won't happen again.

However, I do like the idea of an account wide banking system. It is a rather tedious process to move items between characters. Keep bound items bound, but an improved system to facilitate item transfer would be much appreciated.

NiasTrams
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
In my NWN days some of the HC servers I played on forbid twinking toons, their reasoning: You cannot play both toons at once so they will never develope a bond (they didn't even allow family inheretence).

I have long wished for the ability to download character sheets that included everything in inventory and in the bank, not every detail of the items, but their names and bonuses would be sufficient (one guy carries 6 pairs of Clever Goggles in the bank, without bonuses you still somewhat in the dark).

Having the ability to check a characters inventory, bank inventory, and mail notification before choosing which character to log in would be very nice also.

Character sheets have an abundance of uses from planning a character in advance to tracking items for sale in the forum market areas.

Being able to see inventory and bank accounts prior to logging in would make finding specific items much easier and knowing if you had to log on to get your mail, plus see if you emptied everything prior to deletion, which the OP could of used.

Shared bank space would just make it easier to twink toons so I would love to see it limited to 1 page per account so as not to make it additional storage space; not because I wouldn't love more storage space, but because DDO seems to want to keep storage space minimized.

Ganak
12-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Sorry to hear of your mistake. Don't gripe at the game, that's all you dude.

Beherit_Baphomar
12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Something smells dead around here.

Long, long dead.

Raiderone
12-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Sorry but the only person you should be upset with is yourself.

I would like to see a shared bank for all my characters. But deleting a toon
and their gear is your responsibility.

At least it's not like before, no name was needed to delete. I know once during
logging in, the delete opened up by accident.

Need help running Loot runs...no problem. Run Sub for sunblade. +5 FP Mith will be hard to replace, but plenty of good armor available.

wamjratl1
12-01-2008, 03:08 PM
I don't know if I have ever seen anyone necro their own thread to this degree. Even to revisit his own thoughts.... Good job relevelling OP and replacing the gear! It takes me forever to level a new character so I know you are pleased.

Dymond
12-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't know if I have ever seen anyone necro their own thread to this degree. Guess he's still very upset about the gear deletion. In the 7 months since this happened, even I could have leveled a new toon and replaced at least SOME of the gear.

Actually he wasn't. He more wanted to say he wasn't blaming Turbine for his mistake and that he got over it..

Although I would still love shared account space.. man would that rule.

Dracolich
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I dont know if anyone has asked yet.

Did you contact any customer service reps? They may have a backup of your character. Unless of course you remade your character with the exact same name in which case I immagine the info was over written.

I feel bad for you but honestly you should know better, we are not 10yr olds although there are some that young playing. Maybe if there were an account option where you could pay an extra $5 a month for backup character protection in case of something like this. I have heard of vindictive spouses erasing their mates characters hwne they got a divorce or broke up.

Well best of luck to you but we dont need anymore options to dumb down the interphase,

wamjratl1
12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Actually he wasn't. He more wanted to say he wasn't blaming Turbine for his mistake and that he got over it..

Although I would still love shared account space.. man would that rule.

Duh, you're right. I didn't read the whole necro post. he evean said he's replaced moast of the gear on his newly leveled toon. I'v some editing to do....

DoctorWhofan
12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
Ummmm.

You made a mistake, its not the games fault...

Although a warning, like we do with mail, before deleting anyone with items on their person would be a good thing.

And would that be easy to do? I mean not much programming? I like that! Maybe the sacrifice could be for some good to the community as a whole.

Natalae
12-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Typing your name in to verify that you are sure you want to delete IS the fail safe.

Moral of the story?
Dont be a fool

TheGreatEye
12-02-2008, 01:21 AM
Well, since player housing seems unlikely... a place to store all your characters accumulated loot. It would certainly be nice to offer an account wide bank slot to avoid situations as the OP stated. It seems like the least amount of coding to make the player base happy. Hope the devs are reading. :)

UnderwearModel
12-02-2008, 05:33 AM
I think the OP is mostly mad at himself/herself.

Tongue in Cheek here: We cannot have shared bank space because then our low level toons would have access to the gear we would send them anyway. That way we have to spend time and mail the gear one item at a time a truly enjoy that aspect of the game.

If not shared bank space, how about a button that says TRANSFER gear to my other characters on that account. This button would transfer the gear out of the BANK account only and you have to be AT the bank to do it. That way no mistake would be made in a quest on the TRANSFER gear button while you are running VoD on Elite and POOF!! you go completely naked.

But, no matter what safeguards are put in place, somehow, someway, a player will find a way to delete their stuff.

I have done it myself when I first started, I deleted my character then I realized, OOPS, I just deleted my money and my gear that I spent about six days getting. And at that time, all of that +1 loot was very valuable to me as was the 1,000 platinum I had accumulated.

For me, I take time to delete my characters now. As Impaqt? noted, it only takes about 14 hours to get rid of all your stuff. LOL

I do a little stuff each day for three days so I am not in a hurry and make a mistake. Again.

But to lose +5 FP Mithril:( and to lose two Sun Blades:eek:

Aesop
12-02-2008, 05:54 AM

I think this is why I'd like a reroll button.

I've done this and lost a large amount of things in the past. It suck. It happens.

Good luck and may you have +2 loot tables for the next year to make up for it

Aesop

Voalkrynn2
12-02-2008, 05:59 AM
Referring to Pnp didn't characters that reached a certain level have the option of creating a keep/tower/hall of some sort?
Perhaps a consolidated storage for an account could be the 2500 favor reward. Maybe each character on the account to attain that level of favor then enables an upgrade.

Otherwise I'll go run the vale and gh ragged to collect 1 mill gp (note: that is a lot of gold to a newer player like me) in order to "buy" a house or keep or whatever in which to consolidate the goodies across my characters.

Anarkius
12-02-2008, 06:19 AM
To the OP sorry bout your unfortunate 'accident'. have done this on nmore than one occasion, forgetting to mail something (loot, plat, cancel an AH post, etc). Regrettably it happens, even if we are trying to be careful.

But hey think about how much dun you had getting those items the first time...now you know where they are and hw to get them it should be a little easier. :D

This is a great idea - nothing worse than having to jump from toon to tooon to toon trying to find the item you know is there but can't remember which toon has. Not to mention when trying to twink a new toon to see what the best gear is that you own for them. I usually end up with way too much lowbie loot cause I get tired of switching toons and just loot run more or buy it at the AH or vendor (does anyone need an underwater action necklace?).