PDA

View Full Version : Evasion stacking

Xav
04-03-2008, 03:03 PM
i recently built a rogue 2 / ranger 14. now as is my understanding from PnP when you have evasion from 2 separate classes they stack for the purpose of gaining improved evasion (rogue 2 / ranger 9). unfortunaely now i seem to have 2 evasions on my feats list, one from each class.

with monks coming soon and the fact that they also gain evasion i'm curious if you are planing to implement this in mod 7 or in future updates?

MrCow
04-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Uncanny Dodge stacks to become Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Evasion does not stack to become Improved Evasion.

If this were the case then a level 2 rogue/2 monk would have improved evasion... and thats a fairly scary thought in its own right.

Emili
04-03-2008, 03:12 PM
MrCow is right... evasions never stacked from two separate classes, and for good reasons. Uncanny dodge has always stacked - because to use it in PnP only provides not being caught flat footed to retain your dex bonus. Thus Barbs and rogue uncanny stack... to be improved uncanny (which just means a rogue cannot sneak attack you unless they're 4 levels above your rogue levels).

Scholar
04-03-2008, 03:23 PM
Nevermind. The post I was responding to got corrected.

RAW7272
04-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Though in Tabletop Evasion Clearly States, word for word, If Evasion is gained from two classes it does stack see monk for details on improved evasion. That is the entire thing, people think that is broken but to get it you are losing BAB, and total combine levels, cause if your just cross classes for that one ability you are not taking advantage of everything your second class has to offer and therefore end up being a weaker character in the end despite being better up front.

Ghoste
04-04-2008, 01:58 AM
Though in Tabletop Evasion Clearly States, word for word, If Evasion is gained from two classes it does stack see monk for details on improved evasion. That is the entire thing, people think that is broken but to get it you are losing BAB, and total combine levels, cause if your just cross classes for that one ability you are not taking advantage of everything your second class has to offer and therefore end up being a weaker character in the end despite being better up front.

Would you please give a reference for that? I am looking through the Player's Handbook (3.5) and have so far seen nothing that even says the general idea of what you just said, nevermind "word for word".

Geonis
04-04-2008, 02:43 AM
Would you please give a reference for that? I am looking through the Player's Handbook (3.5) and have so far seen nothing that even says the general idea of what you just said, nevermind "word for word".

It doesn't say that in any of the books.

Probably just a little selective memory.

Evasion (Ex)
At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a monk is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
At 9th level, a monk’s evasion ability improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Evasion (Ex)
At 2nd level and higher, a rogue can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If she makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if the rogue is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Improved Evasion (Ex)
This ability works like evasion, except that while the rogue still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless rogue does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Ghoste
04-04-2008, 02:49 AM
It doesn't say that in any of the books.

Probably just a little selective memory.
Funny how easily it goes from vague memory of something to do with that to "word for word".

Geonis
04-04-2008, 03:04 AM
Funny how easily it goes from vague memory of something to do with that to "word for word".

Yep, most times people remember what they want to remember. :D

Xav
04-04-2008, 03:46 AM
i beleive it was stated in the erata in the DM's guide. will look for it later.

KristovK
04-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Can't find anything in 3.5 that allows this, discusses Uncanny dodge stacking, but not Evasion/Imp Evasion.

honkuimushi
04-04-2008, 05:14 AM
There are PrCs like the Dungeon Delver that do allow 2 evasions to stack to grant Improved Evasion. There was a tendency in later 3.5 books for classes to allow options for characters who have the same ability from multiple classes. Somethime they stack for an improved version of the ability, sometimes you can choose a different ability. Also, in the Complete Mage there are alternate class abilities presented. If you gain the same ability from multiple classes, it is often worthwhile to trade one of them for the alternate ability. You can trade evasion for the ability to reflect spalls that require an attack roll and miss back at the caster. That wouldn't work in DDO, but it would be nice to get something for having multiple evasions. Especially since we will have 3 classes with evasion from Mod 7.

Mad_Bombardier
04-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Though in Tabletop Evasion Clearly States, word for word, If Evasion is gained from two classes it does stack see monk for details on improved evasion. That is the entire thing, people think that is broken but to get it you are losing BAB, and total combine levels, cause if your just cross classes for that one ability you are not taking advantage of everything your second class has to offer and therefore end up being a weaker character in the end despite being better up front.Only if the second Evasion is granted from an Epic Level/Class (maybe some prestige classes, need to double check that one). And even then, only if specifically granted in the feat description text.