PDA

View Full Version : PvP

BattleCircle
04-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Just curious if anyone has had or might have this idea...... I think it might be fun if we could PvP in the Adventure Areas, not all the time mind you, but some sort of CTF game or something in the desert or vale. A way to have guild verses guild challenges complete with the normal spawns that are already in the area........ hmmm just a thought, probably a bad one, but then again it could be fun too.....

Any input?

Yuhjn
04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
Sounds like a cool idea, but currently no one uses the PVP stuff they put in already.

How often do you see groups doing a red/blue raid?

Other than tavern brawls the PVP system is gathering dust.

I would not want to see the developers put more time into a system that doesnt get used.

los_solja
04-02-2008, 07:44 PM
So one option would be to turn one of the servers into FFA PvP server and build on the crafting system. This would not only give the capped characters more to do once they reach the lvl cap, but it'll also allow the crafting system to become useful as people try to craft items to better the items their enemies have. Now Turbine would probably have to allow people to move their characters to another server for free, maybe a free weekend, or they can just flat out say everyone has to start from scratch. I personally like the "scratch" idea, it evens out the playing field and allows everyone to progress evenly. There would be certain areas that you can not PvP in, shops, taverns (unless in designated areas), The bank, Mailbox areas, but everywhere else is open for PvP. The Harbor, because of the lower lvls, could also be kept PvE.. not a lot of higher lvls run around there and killing the low level alts wouldn't be very useful. There should be rewards for PvP encounters, maybe not full out looting, but you could recieve little tokens (like WoW BG) and you can collect these tokens until you reach a certain amount and that amount is turned in for decent items. Useful items.

When thinking of this idea, I was thinking of Darktide from Asheron's Call. I think that game had one of the best FFA PvP servers that Ive been on, although there were no "free-zones", there were places you could go that you normally wouldnt be attacked. The players in this game are also more mature and I doubt the ganking would be an issue, Turbine would just have to make sure players couldnt be attacked by AoE spells while in a dungeon. It sounds complicated, but if Atari got off their arse or Turbine dumped them and went with someone else, it could happen.

KristovK
04-02-2008, 08:04 PM
So one option would be to turn one of the servers into FFA PvP server and build on the crafting system. This would not only give the capped characters more to do once they reach the lvl cap, but it'll also allow the crafting system to become useful as people try to craft items to better the items their enemies have. Now Turbine would probably have to allow people to move their characters to another server for free, maybe a free weekend, or they can just flat out say everyone has to start from scratch. I personally like the "scratch" idea, it evens out the playing field and allows everyone to progress evenly. There would be certain areas that you can not PvP in, shops, taverns (unless in designated areas), The bank, Mailbox areas, but everywhere else is open for PvP. The Harbor, because of the lower lvls, could also be kept PvE.. not a lot of higher lvls run around there and killing the low level alts wouldn't be very useful. There should be rewards for PvP encounters, maybe not full out looting, but you could recieve little tokens (like WoW BG) and you can collect these tokens until you reach a certain amount and that amount is turned in for decent items. Useful items.

When thinking of this idea, I was thinking of Darktide from Asheron's Call. I think that game had one of the best FFA PvP servers that Ive been on, although there were no "free-zones", there were places you could go that you normally wouldnt be attacked. The players in this game are also more mature and I doubt the ganking would be an issue, Turbine would just have to make sure players couldnt be attacked by AoE spells while in a dungeon. It sounds complicated, but if Atari got off their arse or Turbine dumped them and went with someone else, it could happen.

Ever jumped into a tavern brawl area? I'd guess not or you'd be aware that ganking is pretty common, sometimes by accident, but it happens all the time. I've seen people get all in a huff about it, but what do you expect when you drop your 3rd level whatever into the pit while 12+ level characters are in there tossing spells at each other?