PDA

View Full Version : A Cleric Concerned

Ironwind
04-02-2008, 01:39 PM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.
But why is it that so many people who play clerics are really bad players?
Is it because they know that a cleric can always get a group even if the cleric blows?

Could you please remove all UMD requirements from Heal Scrolls so that everyone can buy and use their own Heal Scrolls and we would no longer have to hear the tortured moans of the bad clerics?

Thanks.

Razvan
04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.
Is it because they know that a cleric can always get a group even if the cleric blows?

Could you please remove all UMD requirements from Heal Scrolls so that everyone can buy and use their own Heal Scrolls and we would no longer have to hear the tortured moans of the bad clerics?

Thanks.

uhm...why would anyone invite any clerics to any party if that happens??

Laith
04-02-2008, 01:43 PM
uhm...why would anyone invite any clerics to any party if that happens??possibly because clerics can be awesome even without the healing...

of course, the proposed change is pretty rediculous IMO.

btw, what's with all the recent cleric threads?
mine's doing fine.

sure, shroud was expensive for awhile, but now that everyone's got their **** together, it's not that bad.

Razvan
04-02-2008, 01:56 PM
possibly because clerics can be awesome even without the healing...

mine's doing fine.

sure, shroud was expensive for awhile, but now that everyone's got their **** together, it's not that bad.

ok...the way the game is right now...with healing scrolls on the market with no UMD what would you prefer or think would do better? party of 12 sorcs or party of 12 clerics??

esoitl
04-02-2008, 02:02 PM

mine's doing fine.

cheers to that
i think people know that after this MOD and seeing how people complained about Pally's that if they start the complaining early the dev's will decide to give some overpowered enhancement to clerics M8

clerics are not expensive to play with the exception of crappy grouping, they are a very powerful class, they are one of if not the only pure class that can melee and cast effectively.... what the hell else are people expecting here??

since we're taking UMD off heal scrolls why don't we take it off every other scroll in the game??
worst comment to date i think......

Arianrhod
04-02-2008, 02:03 PM
ok...the way the game is right now...with healing scrolls on the market with no UMD what would you prefer or think would do better? party of 12 sorcs or party of 12 clerics??

Party of any 12 players who were really good at whatever it is they do :P

Yuhjn
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM

A correctly built sorc has enough UMD to use a heal scroll without fail.

My sorc for example has 43.5 UMD. The minimum UMD you need to no-fail a heal scroll is 39.

Yuhjn
04-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Something else to think about is that from scroll, even with the max scroll enhancments, a heal scroll (from someone other than a cleric) does about 150 HP of healing.

A cleric casting heal from SP can do 500 HP of healing.

150 vs 500... yeah, I think we still need clerics even if everyone in the game can use a heal scroll (which is obvisouly a horrible idea in the first place)

Laith
04-02-2008, 06:43 PM
Party of any 12 players who were really good at whatever it is they do :Pthanks, i couldn't have approached that question any better myself.

Zuldar
04-02-2008, 10:17 PM

mine's doing fine.

The way I see it, every mod gives some love to a couple of classes. I'm guessing mod 8 is gonna be clerics and maybe fighters. Just a hypothetical guess though.

Burradin
04-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Something else to think about is that from scroll, even with the max scroll enhancments, a heal scroll (from someone other than a cleric) does about 150 HP of healing.

A cleric casting heal from SP can do 500 HP of healing.

150 vs 500... yeah, I think we still need clerics even if everyone in the game can use a heal scroll (which is obvisouly a horrible idea in the first place)

My cleric can actual crit a heal for over 1100. I know there is a lot of others out there that do the same, nothing special for mine that anyone can't get. Gauntlets from Reaver and sup potency item. Plus feats. I think the OPs point is that there has been a lot of why is it so hard and it is not fair going on today. Could be wrong, but I think that is what they are pointing out.

FluffyCalico
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.

Thanks.

Have you played MMOs before?
MMO LAW # 1
If your personality or skills suck role a healer as since there are so few people will put up with it.

Uska
04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Umm no to your horrible idea on heal scrolls, either get yourself some umd, be a cleric or maybe train one to your liking, and one more buy potions.

FluffyCalico
04-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.

Thanks.

If you want clerics to complain less delete any WF that wants the cleric to heal them but refuses to take healers friend enhancements. Especially is said WF is a 2hand barbarian

Naturelaughslast
04-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.

Thanks.

Okay first of all you labeled most clerics as bad players. That already makes your argument look weak and yourself look foolish to say the least. Second of all a good bard sorcerer rogue or other classes, properly built, can use a heal scrolls with no failure. Third of all some of the best players I know play clerics and are great at it. This really makes me wonder if you actually had any thought process before you typed. The idea is ludicrous your reasoning is ridiculous and the overall generalization of a class is appalling. Do you even play this game? Okay my rant is over I feel like Simon Cowell here.

FluffyDucky
04-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.

Why don't you roll up a cleric and show us all how it should be done.

Laith
04-03-2008, 01:06 PM
The way I see it, every mod gives some love to a couple of classes. I'm guessing mod 8 is gonna be clerics and maybe fighters. Just a hypothetical guess though. i'm definately thinking fighters need to make mod8.
clerics need their (lack of) metamagic enhancements and damage enhancements looked at primarily.

currently, turbine has decided that metamagic is for arcanes and the best offensive cleric spells dont deserve enhancements.
if clerics need turbine to say "clerics aren't just for healing", fixing these issues would be loud and clear.

Jerevon
04-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.

Thanks.

I'd say lower the UMD reqs, not eliminate, but just a little.

BrotherAsmodi
04-03-2008, 06:41 PM

I say make UMD work like it was intend to for Rogues (Thieves actually not rangers) to be able to use the class specific items that they steal. Every class and their brother using UMD is a RULE RAPE and should be stopped. If you want to use a Heal scroll play a cleric or healing class. I play a Sorc its not my job to heal, I kill things from afar.

Hey Devs, fix UMD so that it doesn't work unless you are a pure rogue.

To all you clerics out there who are not feeling the love...THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HEALING!, The vast majority of us really apprciate that you play your class, good or bad, you are always welcom in anyone of my groups!!!! I say late the haters die..don't heal 'em! When they are incap and begging for healing say...oh I'm uselss healer...you should recall out. I'm betting as the dead and dying pile up around Stormreach because the clerics are keeping the blue line full, the haters will go aways.

'nuff said

Delt
04-03-2008, 06:43 PM

Any character that splashes a class that makes UMD a class skill can easily hit 40 UMD with items and full ranks, EVEN with dumping CHA (consquently, any CHA-based character can also see 40 without UMD as a class skill). That's a hell of a lot of builds that can access unlimited healing...

UMD requirements need to raise, not lower, if anything. But I don't care either way.

Uska
04-03-2008, 06:53 PM
I say make UMD work like it was intend to for Rogues (Thieves actually not rangers) to be able to use the class specific items that they steal. Every class and their brother using UMD is a RULE RAPE and should be stopped. If you want to use a Heal scroll play a cleric or healing class. I play a Sorc its not my job to heal, I kill things from afar.

To all you clerics out there who are not feeling the love...THANK YOU FOR ALL THE HEALING!, The vast majority of us really apprciate that you play your class, good or bad, you are always welcom in anyone of my groups!!!! I say late the haters die..don't heal 'em! When they are incap and begging for healing say...oh I'm uselss healer...you should recall out. I'm betting as the dead and dying pile up around Stormreach because the clerics are keeping the blue line full, the haters will go aways.

'nuff said

Umm umd was never intended for only pure rogues so they dont need to fix what isnt broken.

boldarblood
04-03-2008, 07:04 PM

Its not meant for just pure rogues.

Tanka
04-03-2008, 10:27 PM
1) Bards get UMD.
2) From the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org).

Regardless of whether a skill is purchased as a class skill or a cross-class skill, if it is a class skill for any of your classes, your maximum rank equals your total character level + 3.

So taking one level or Rogue OR Bard unlocks UMD completely for that character.

No "in my game" stinkup either, because that's a houserule and not canon at all.

Uska
04-09-2008, 12:34 PM

'nuff said

Ummm your totaly wrong on umd its not just for pure rogues you have been told before so quit saying it is it isnt rule breaking if you have a level of rogue you have unlocked umd, period.

HumanJHawkins
04-09-2008, 05:55 PM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.

Can you define "bad players"? Cause, after a statement like that, I think most people are going to assume that you play a combatant really poorly and therefore die a lot. And are just looking to blame someone else so you won't have to admit it to yourself.

Don't get me wrong... I have seen a few bad Clerics in my time. I've even been a bad cleric once or twice when I was having an off night. But I think you are way off base saying that "so many people who play Clerics are bad players" unless you give a bit more detail. So what do you mean by "bad player"?

Porkchop
04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Hey Devs,
I love this game.

Thanks.

I find that most clerics are pretty smart. It only takes a cleric a few battles to realize who is the manna sponge and who keeps dieing. Once that cleric categorizes you as a walking dead manna sponge you get moved to what's called the "end of the priority list". If everyone else is alive and healed, then you will get your res and heal. If you ever find yourself to be the last one to get heals or to get raised...you know what category you fall into. ;)