PDA

View Full Version : Why is there an Attack Bonus on my Caster Item?

GlassCannon
03-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Why do I need to be better able to hit things if I am holding it for the Potency boost or Lore boost?

Why is it a +1? Why a +2 or +3?

Apparently there are still some rather silly Artificers out there.

MrCow
03-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Some of us casters actually use those potency-type items to attack with every now and then and I for one appreciate the fact that it is a +3 weapon (For superior potency VI) rather than the old non-ML items that were +0. Heck, whenever I pass down the old non-ML items I forget that they can't hurt wraiths and gargoyles because the are not magical. :p

WeaselKing
03-31-2008, 04:59 PM
I don't know but I have noticed that spell school enhancers (ie Necromancy Scepters) with a +2 tend to have two schools of focus on them. I know, not really helpful.

Beherit_Baphomar
03-31-2008, 04:59 PM
To bump up the minimum level, of course.

The Coin Lords (who stock all the chests in Stormreach) go round to the crafters, tell them that if they dont
put a + on these items there will be....problems....

Vormaerin
04-01-2008, 04:34 AM
The level is NOT altered by the + of the item in the case of potency items and similar caster implements.

The weapons are magical because that's a prerequisite for further enchanting in D&D. You can't legally have a non magical magic weapon. Besides which, it is useful in rare circumstances.

GlassCannon
04-01-2008, 06:13 AM
The level is NOT altered by the + of the item in the case of potency items and similar caster implements.

The weapons are magical because that's a prerequisite for further enchanting in D&D. You can't legally have a non magical magic weapon. Besides which, it is useful in rare circumstances.

If that is so why don't we have +5 lesser acid lore scepters dropping out of Waterworks that are ML 2?

I find that to be rather odd... fail to understand that logic, etc.

I can go with +1 weapons being lores and potencys and magi and such, but I definitely see a correlation between a ML 14 Superior Potency 6 item and the +3 bonus it holds. A +1 Sup Potency 4 item is ML 8, therefore a Sup 6 should be 12... and I have even seen a Masterwork Sup Potency 3 item ML 4... whatever. There are a lot of screwy items that have been changed, bugged, pulled under wierd circumstances and whatnot, and altered for whatever reason(Like my +5 mith fp of spearblock, ML 12, dropped before the cap reached 14... the ML was moved from 14 to 12 so the characters I had could use it under a serverwide adjustment).

I just want some Superior Potencys and Superior Lores for my new spells that can be used at the level I acquire said spell level.

Zaodon
04-01-2008, 07:57 AM

Incorrect.

I could craft a Flaming weapon, for example, in PnP D&D without ever enchanting that weapon with a +1 bonus.