PDA

View Full Version : What's greater about greater disruption?

WeaselKing
03-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I feel like I am missing something here. As I understand it greater disruption seems crappier than regular old disruption. Greater disruption has a 3% chance of destroying undead while disruption gives a DC 14 will check on every hit. At worst disruption succeeds only on a 1 which means that disruption has a 5% or greater chance to destroy undead. So, what the heck?

Is there a HD limit to disruption that I don't know about? Does greater disruption kill those giant skellies in the Tor with deathward or whatever that effect its called?

I tried to search the forums to see if this had been discussed, but do you know how many trade threads come up when you search grater + disruption? LOL, its a lot.

Thank you all for your insight.

Laith
03-31-2008, 03:12 PM
yeah... i understand your issue with running that search ;)

here ya go:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=140401

Lithic
03-31-2008, 03:12 PM
The "greater" part is that it is essentially a free +5 mod added to your already uber +5 holy/goodburst/goodblast weapon.

So many of these threads could have been avoided by calling this ability "disruption strike" or something.

Laith
03-31-2008, 03:18 PM
So many of these threads could have been avoided by calling this ability "disruption strike" or something.yep, in all honesty this is just another case of poor naming.

Positive items are great. The added disruption effect is decent and even balanced.

... but it's not GREATER Disruption.

Lithic
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
yep, in all honesty this is just another case of poor naming.

Positive items are great. The added disruption effect is decent and even balanced.

... but it's not GREATER Disruption.

Well, its GREATER because there is no save. Its not Greater disruption's fault that we use d20s for saving throws where the 3% proc rate of GD cant compete with an auto-failed save of 5% :D

Laith
03-31-2008, 03:23 PM
Well, its GREATER because there is no save. Its not Greater disruption's fault that we use d20s for saving throws where the 3% proc rate of GD cant compete with an auto-failed save of 5% :Dif it wasn't "Greater Disruption"s fault, they should have labeled the effect "3% Greater Disruption" (similar to Tendon Slice, Weighted, Backstabbing, and other effects).

since the % chance of the proc is left out of the title, we have to assume that it will be the same whenever "Greater Disruption" is applied.
If this is not the case, it will be incredibly confusing when one person's "Greater Disruption" item is more effective than another's.

MysticTheurge
03-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Well, its GREATER because there is no save.

But 3% chance for no save is not greater than 100% chance with a save (where there's a guaranteed 5% chance of failure).

(I know you were joking, but just for clarity's sake.)

Knightrose
03-31-2008, 03:33 PM
personally I think the ability should of been closer to like an AOE Turn Undead at 3%. Perhaps that of something equal to a lvl16 Cleric.

Sure that wouldn't be phenomenal in high level quests. But could be useful for running through stuff in the orchard, etc.

Talcyndl
03-31-2008, 05:53 PM
I haven't gotten the large ingredients I need for my Good Blast upgrade, so I haven't seen the description. But, my understanding is there isn't any mention of the 3% figure. Has someone actually gone to the (rather large*) trouble of testing it to determine it's actually 3%.

I know people keep saying it, but...

*Especially since the DPS on these weapons is so significant most undead are likely to be dead long before you have to worry about whether they get disrupted.

DesertBlue
03-31-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, its GREATER because there is no save. :D

There is a save, it is just high DC = 34 or 35. I have it on a long sword. So even when it procs(still don't know what that means other than in context) there is still a chance of failure.

adamkatt
03-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Well thats pretty lame, When i first heard of the Great disrupting on the green steel weapons i assumed the effect would be like greater slaying arrows or a dc23 save or be destroyed...

MysticTheurge
03-31-2008, 08:20 PM
procs(still don't know what that means other than in context)

Proc = process.

So, the effect "processes" i.e. goes off.

DesertBlue
04-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Proc = process.

Thank you.

Shade
04-01-2008, 02:39 PM
Yea I don't think the main complaint of these weapons overall is that there underpowered.. But rather this effect is very poorly named.

I mean if they later wanted to add "greater disruption" to the loot gen stuff...
Someone might find a +1 disruption weapon and a +1 greater disruption weapon.. Now the greater one would sound like the better weapon, but it is infact not better at all, it is inferior.

A simple rename from greater disruption to minor disruption would make sense here.

Shade
04-01-2008, 02:44 PM
There is a save, it is just high DC = 34 or 35. I have it on a long sword. So even when it procs(still don't know what that means other than in context) there is still a chance of failure.

No, there is no save. I dual wield a set of those weaponds and used them in every single orchard quest on elite - youd think some of that stuff might save? But no there wasn't.

User error perhaps, becausing noticing what would amount to 5% of an effect that works 1-2% of the time would be extremely difficult to accurate judge... Especially being all it would do is a show a blue flash over hte undead head - which could very well of been the wizard behind you casting a spell on him he saved agaisnt, or another melee with you trying to sunder him the same time and him also saving.

So yea, no save.

If there was a save I would have to change my recommendation down to rename it to "terrible lesser disription-like chance"

Andarius8
07-25-2009, 11:49 AM
I think it is the way people are viewing it that is making them unhappy with the term... We are all to have a Lightning Strike that 1-3% of the time proc's an additional 600 dmg... yay...

Well what if you thought about 1-3% of the time a greater disruption effect proc's meaning no will save destroy undead. It is not that Greater Disruption has only a 1-3% chance to work it is that 1-3% of the time Greater Disruption will go off as all the other major special effects does... AND when it does it GREATER disrupts the mobs giving them a 0% chance to save. IT IS a BONUS power to an already very cool item. You will not find any other disruptor that I am aware of that will do THIS MUCH dmg to an undead mob while still giving a chance to disrupt them also... and don't forget it also has a True Resurrect which yes... will be lowered to raise dead but still!... All of this power in one item... very useful indeed.

Would I have gotten the item if it did not have the resurrection... soon to be raise dead... No. But it does so I will take the additional bonus as a plus. And my next item will be a Rapier Air / Lightning for the big 600 dmg proc...

Aranticus
07-25-2009, 11:52 AM
wow your divine skills are awesome!

mannvar
07-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Proc = process.

nay

PROC = Programmed Random OCcurance

Hobgoblin
07-11-2010, 06:21 PM
holy random necro, batman!!

hydra_ex
07-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Couldn't you have waited two more weeks? Then it would have been a year.

Xaearth
07-11-2010, 06:35 PM
This is the problem with Greater Disruption...
This thread would have rolled a 1 against normal disruption far sooner and we wouldn't be dealing with this mess.

Junts
07-11-2010, 06:36 PM
To answer the OP, the greater amount of stupid you feel for having one.

jwdaniels
07-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Couldn't you have waited two more weeks? Then it would have been a year.

If it will make you feel better, the almost a year necro-ing came after the over a year necro-ing, so it's been more than two years since the OP.

hydra_ex
07-11-2010, 06:41 PM
To answer the OP, the greater amount of stupid you feel for having one.

That's not nice.

The greater anger you feel at Turbine for more ambiguous descriptions.

People will assume "greater" means "better than" unless otherwise corrected. I think that a greater disruption weapon is probably better than an ordinary disruption weapon (+5 holy pure good burst pure good blast weapon 1/day rez and higher damage die is better than a +1 disruptor ML 10), but the ability itself is not

jwdaniels
07-11-2010, 06:45 PM
Does this still work the same as it did back in March of 2008?

SteeleTrueheart
07-11-2010, 06:46 PM
I thought this was a new thread until I saw MysticTheurge had posted in it. That made me check the dates.

Anyway I love my triple positives no matter what the numbers say.

EustaceTrevelyan
10-14-2010, 04:55 AM
nay

PROC = Programmed Random OCcurance

That sounded like folk etymolgy/bogus-backronym to me, so i googled:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=1006051905198

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
Proc is a term inherited from MUDs, multi-user dungeons -- a precursor to the MMOGs of today. When an item in a MUD would have a special effect attached to it, the MUD's programming would use "SPEC_PROC", short for "special procedure", to attach the effect to the item by linking it to a procedure programmed elsewhere in the MUD's code. Because of this internal naming, "Spec Procs", and later just "Procs", refer to any unusual effect on an item.

As multiuser gaming on the Internet became more mainstream, the etymology of many terms inherited from the earlier days of online gaming became blurred, and "proc" was no exception. Even today in the face of easily verifiable evidence showing the true origin of the term, some people continue to attribute the origin of the term as a broken acronym meaning "Programmed Random OCcurance", or an abbreviation to the similar term "process".

These days, "proc" refers to both the effect attached to an item, and the action of that effect occuring; as in "The proc on Silent Fang will silence your target for 6 seconds", and "The paladin spent the fight waiting for Seal of Command to proc on his opponent".
Source(s):
beta tester for mmo's and currently playing City of Villians. Just left WoW.

Yeah, this is a re-necro. But someone unearthed it after a year to add wrong info, so what the heck:)