PDA

View Full Version : Feature Request: Keyboard Lockout

Animae
03-31-2008, 11:02 AM
It would be nice to have a keyboard lockout feature implemented.

A key sequence that will render keyboard/mouse functionalities useless, within the game, until the keystrokes are repeated.

TIA for the consideration.

DeadlyGazebo
03-31-2008, 11:05 AM

A key sequence that will render keyboard/mouse functionalities useless, within the game, until the keystrokes are repeated.

Can you explain why you want this? Is it for making sure you don't accidentally poke something while taking a screenshot or movie?

Impaqt
03-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Why?
(Theres got to be a good story behind this)

Amaras
03-31-2008, 11:09 AM
Can you explain why you want this? Is it for making sure you don't accidentally poke something while taking a screenshot or movie?

If it is, he could always just unplug them >.>

Beerthirty
03-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Why?
(Theres got to be a good story behind this)

Inquiring minds want to know!

Animae
03-31-2008, 11:13 AM
To prevent accidental or unintentional actions.

Amaras
03-31-2008, 11:15 AM
To prevent accidental or unintentional actions.

like? Honestly if there is no "good" reason for it, why should the developers spend 2-5 hours implamenting it.

Animae
03-31-2008, 11:18 AM
like? Honestly if there is no "good" reason for it, why should the developers spend 2-5 hours implamenting it.

If you want a User Story, I'll write one up in Rally.

Otherwise, the request is, both cause and effect, direct and to the point.

Laith
03-31-2008, 11:19 AM
have kids/friends/pets that try to do nasty things while you're AFK or something?

i really can't come up with any other specific example of this feature being used.

if this is the reason, there are a TON of ways one could go about making DDO unresponsive when you aren't using it. i'd add "minimize DDO" and "lock Windows" to the previous list (unplug keyboard/mouse).

GeneralDiomedes
03-31-2008, 11:20 AM

The point being?

Missing_Minds
03-31-2008, 11:24 AM

I'd much rather you fix the whole, "my mouse is over something, and now I can't swing my weapon at all, and because of such I'm getting slaughtered, poked, spiked, killed, mutilated, and over all given more and more debt and damage."

You forgot the 15 more for QA, review board meetings, manager approval, and then taking down the servers during the fixing.

totmacher
03-31-2008, 11:30 AM
you know I love that the devs take time to check small threads like this, but this feature is mostly a non-issue and there are a million other things that could really use the attention

DrAwkward
03-31-2008, 11:43 AM

Yes, I think to get any momentum behind your request, you'll need to give at least one example.

Even if they did decide to make a change, you'll likely get something that meets your stated requirements but isn't what you meant or wanted unless you provide more detail.

Like "we want an Auction House" or "Can we have PvP", you really need to spell stuff out as there are so many ways to interpret your request.

honkuimushi
03-31-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd much rather you fix the whole, "my mouse is over something, and now I can't swing my weapon at all, and because of such I'm getting slaughtered, poked, spiked, killed, mutilated, and over all given more and more debt and damage."

Strongly seconded.

Garth_of_Sarlona
03-31-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes, I think to get any momentum behind your request, you'll need to give at least one example.

You desperately need to take a bio break, but the cat is sittting on your knee as you're playing. There's no desk space left so the only place to put the cat is on the keyboard. So - you engage the KEYBOARD LOCK and then put the cat safely on your keyboard knowing it's not going to run you into the fire pit. When you get back - take the cat off the keyboard, back on your knee, and disengage KEYBOARD LOCK - everyone's a winner.

I think the game desperately needs this feature and would be willing to wait another 3 months for things like Monks, Guild Housing, more crafting, and more low level quests to see this implemented.

Garth

Lorien_the_First_One
03-31-2008, 12:40 PM
You desperately need to take a bio break, but the cat is sittting on your knee as you're playing. There's no desk space left so the only place to put the cat is on the keyboard. So - you engage the KEYBOARD LOCK and then put the cat safely on your keyboard knowing it's not going to run you into the fire pit. When you get back - take the cat off the keyboard, back on your knee, and disengage KEYBOARD LOCK - everyone's a winner.

I think the game desperately needs this feature and would be willing to wait another 3 months for things like Monks, Guild Housing, more crafting, and more low level quests to see this implemented.

You know my wife's laptop has a feature where if you press 3 keys at the same time it rotates the screen 90/180/270 degrees. Didn't the cat jump on her computer and flip her screen upside down one day :p

But I do have an example of why this is needed.... Some people are so very bad at this game that having them do anything in it makes the party weaker. So, the guy with the star in the party should be able to remotely lock out those people's kbs until such time as the quest is over.

GeneralDiomedes
03-31-2008, 12:45 PM

That seems more of an OS/hardware issue.

Wizzly_Bear
03-31-2008, 01:08 PM

lol, thanks for the laugh :D havent seen that dingo guy in awhile so i was missing these

Animae
03-31-2008, 01:11 PM
Wow, guys. Calm down a bit.

A feature request is just that. I never said it needed to be added right away, only taken into consideration. And, of course, a hot patch wouldn't be needed.

With that being said, it's even possible that the product manager could look at this and say "That's a pretty silly request." It could also be said: "A paying customer would like to see this in the product, perhaps we could toss a few process cycles at this if the devs think it's a quick and easy implementation... for module 15."

"Hey, we have that junior intern, this could be something we could throw at him to fill some cycles too."

Also, realize that not every developer works on "bug fixes", and most companies have more than one group of devs that work on different aspects of the product.

Them saying "no", "We won't waste the cycles to do it", any answer that equates to "no", or if there isn't any further correspondence about this, is all perfectly acceptable feedback.

As a paying customer, I'm submitting an idea that I would like implemented. Let's leave the added drama behind, could we?

Animae
03-31-2008, 01:16 PM
lol, thanks for the laugh :D havent seen that dingo guy in awhile so i was missing these

So now we get to resort to defamation and name calling?

Wow. I guess I expected more...

Impaqt
03-31-2008, 01:30 PM

A feature request is just that. I never said it needed to be added right away, only taken into consideration. And, of course, a hot patch wouldn't be needed.

With that being said, it's even possible that the product manager could look at this and say "That's a pretty silly request." It could also be said: "A paying customer would like to see this in the product, perhaps we could toss a few process cycles at this if the devs think it's a quick and easy implementation... for module 15."

"Hey, we have that junior intern, this could be something we could throw at him to fill some cycles too."

Also, realize that not every developer works on "bug fixes", and most companies have more than one group of devs that work on different aspects of the product.

Them saying "no", "We won't waste the cycles to do it", any answer that equates to "no", or if there isn't any further correspondence about this, is all perfectly acceptable feedback.

As a paying customer, I'm submitting an idea that I would like implemented. Let's leave the added drama behind, could we?

Your Missing our point through....

No One can figure out a Legitamate reason to Have this.... Maybe we are mising something obvious.... Like you have Really Big Pockets and like to keep your Keyboard in your Pocket while using your Gamepad or something...

Ustice
03-31-2008, 01:31 PM
AutoHotkey could do this.

Wizzly_Bear
03-31-2008, 01:32 PM

So now we get to resort to defamation and name calling?

Wow. I guess I expected more...
hmm....so you were serious then? i thought it was a joke request. and i didnt defame or name call. what would you use this for? and how would you disable the keyboard and yet enter a code into the keyboard to reactivate the keyboard? and how would this be different than unplugging the keyboard?

jjflanigan
03-31-2008, 01:41 PM
Sure, valid requests from paying customers are great...but just saying "I want this" without any reason for it doesn't do much for your case. Also, without providing any reasoning for it, you aren't going to get much backing from other players so it basically comes down to a request for a feature that *1* person in the entire game wants and that 1 person will not provide any reason or justification beyond "I want it"

Animae
03-31-2008, 01:44 PM
what would you use this for? and how would you disable the keyboard and yet enter a code into the keyboard to reactivate the keyboard? and how would this be different than unplugging the keyboard?

It would still buffer the requests, but wouldn't process to the game until it was 'reactivated' by issuing another command sequence to unlock the requests. It wouldn't lock you out of the rest of your system. I.E. I could still use my foreground window.

EQ1 had this implemented, a feature I found value in using.

DrAwkward
03-31-2008, 01:48 PM
It would still buffer the requests, but wouldn't process to the game until it was 'reactivated' by issuing another command sequence to unlock the requests. It wouldn't lock you out of the rest of your system. I.E. I could still use my foreground window.

Okay...done.

WDA Addendum:

*NEW* Users may now press CTRL+ALT+DEL to temporarily disable the keyboard and mouse from affecting the client.

Aodh
03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
uhh, sounds kinda fishy. What do you want to do, run farming scripts or something?

Shaamis
03-31-2008, 01:51 PM
My cats try to log onto kitty.net all of the time, and check their kitty-mail.

Now my oldest cat Chloe (she's four) is surfing the meow.com forums.....

They grow up so fast.......

Wizzly_Bear
03-31-2008, 01:57 PM

still dont get why you want this

WeaselKing
03-31-2008, 02:29 PM
Okay...done.

WDA Addendum:

*NEW* Users may now press CTRL+ALT+DEL to temporarily disable the keyboard and mouse from affecting the client.

Alt+F4 will work as well.

Seriously though, it is simply a request not even framed as a demand. I am curious as to what advantage this would give but it doesn't really matter it is a request by a paying customer and should be taken as such.

Talcyndl
03-31-2008, 02:50 PM

Right. And a developer came in a asked a simple question to help them figure out if it was actually worth it.

And yet you continue to refuse to explain why you want it.

:confused:

Impaqt
03-31-2008, 03:12 PM

Exactly How did you "Use" this? We really Dont understand..... No One is trying to be mean or insulting to you. Just trying to figure out if this really is something cool or useless as we suspect.

oronisi
03-31-2008, 03:21 PM
Your Missing our point through....

No One can figure out a Legitamate reason to Have this.... Maybe we are mising something obvious.... Like you have Really Big Pockets and like to keep your Keyboard in your Pocket while using your Gamepad or something...

I bet he's in a public place and doesn't want people messing with his characters or items while he goes pee or something. In which case, locking the PC entirely would work just fine...

Garth_of_Sarlona
03-31-2008, 03:59 PM
I bet he's in a public place and doesn't want people messing with his characters or items while he goes pee or something. In which case, locking the PC entirely would work just fine...

That's true - this feature might be useful for people who play DDO in places like this:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/12/08/business/09game184.2.jpg (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/09/technology/09gaming.html?ex=1291784400&en=48a72408592dffe6&ei=5088)

Garth

szalkerous
03-31-2008, 04:05 PM
Mr. Automaker,

I want to ask for a feature request. I would like for my car to include a removable steering wheel feature. Thanks in advance,

Joe Driver
---------------
Mr. Driver:

For what purpose would you like the automobile to feature this?

Sincerely,
Mr. Automaker
---------------
Mr. Automaker,

I don't understand why would would ask such a question. I would find this a useful feature.

Joe Driver
---------------
Mr. Driver:

If you are in need of disabling the vehicle from operating, might we suggest shutting it off and removing the key? This feature is implemented already, and you can make use of it immediately.

Sincerely,
Mr. Automaker

EspyLacopa
03-31-2008, 04:06 PM

And then a Dev responded, asking "Why?"

Lionar
03-31-2008, 04:10 PM
I want you guys to implement a bot that will play the game for me. My fingers get tired sometimes. I hope that reason is as vague as humanly possible.

Thanks in advance.

Lionar
03-31-2008, 04:12 PM
Oh, and while you're at it....send me a sandwich maker. PM me for my infoz.

Solmage
03-31-2008, 04:38 PM
You know my wife's laptop has a feature where if you press 3 keys at the same time it rotates the screen 90/180/270 degrees. Didn't the cat jump on her computer and flip her screen upside down one day :p

But I do have an example of why this is needed.... Some people are so very bad at this game that having them do anything in it makes the party weaker. So, the guy with the star in the party should be able to remotely lock out those people's kbs until such time as the quest is over.

Hahahaha. Ok now that's one useful feature :cool:

Garth

Hahahahhahaha

Ok thanks guys, that was very amusing :)

As for the feature request, well, this paying customer now wants to request a feature in which the screen flashes green randomly, in say roughly 15 seconds interval, with no reason whatsoever. Maybe when an intern doesn't have anything to do ...

To the OP, Windows XP (and most later versions) allow you to add passwords to your username, and to enable user switching. So when you want to go afk and don't want the kid, the cat, the burglar, the ghost, or anyone else from affecting the game, you simply select start->logoff->switch user and the screen goes back to a login screen without affecting your running programs, until you come back and enter a password.

Optionally, you can also enable your screen saver to require a password when it triggers if you're afk more than X minutes.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-31-2008, 04:47 PM

You still haven't answered....what would the purpose of this be? The only thing I can think of for such a buffering would be to build a bot and since that would violate the TOS I'm sure that's not what you intended.

Falco_Easts
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
ALT-TAB to go to a different program
ALT-Enter to make DDO non full screen so you can minimize.

Both of these can do the job without tieing up Dev time.

Amaras
03-31-2008, 06:03 PM
windows key + L

Wizzly_Bear
03-31-2008, 07:25 PM
i renew my assumption that this was a joke given that the op has still yet to provide any reasoning :cool:

Xaearth
03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Hmm... this might be a good idea. Sometimes I eat over my keyboard, then in the middle of VoN 3 I realize there's quite the number of crumbs accumulated in between the keys, so while the cleric is takin a quick afk I decide to clean my keyboard a bit...

It takes a while for me to realize what everyone is hollering over the mic about, accursed autorun and pesky stealthed drow casters...

oronisi
04-01-2008, 09:16 AM
That's true - this feature might be useful for people who play DDO in places like this:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/12/08/business/09game184.2.jpg (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/09/technology/09gaming.html?ex=1291784400&en=48a72408592dffe6&ei=5088)

Garth

The more I think about it, I bet that's it. He works in a Plat farmer sweatshop. He does not have admin access to the PC, and only gets paid for meeting his quota of X amount of plat and Y amount of items. Well, this plat farmer has a small bladder and often takes bathroom breaks. During his breaks, his seedy coworkers run over to his char and trade off all his hard earned plat and items.

Poor poor platfarmer.

Wizzly_Bear
04-01-2008, 10:42 AM
The more I think about it, I bet that's it. He works in a Plat farmer sweatshop. He does not have admin access to the PC, and only gets paid for meeting his quota of X amount of plat and Y amount of items. Well, this plat farmer has a small bladder and often takes bathroom breaks. During his breaks, his seedy coworkers run over to his char and trade off all his hard earned plat and items.

Poor poor platfarmer.
lol