PDA

View Full Version : Should Widen Spell Feat be added to the game?

dragnmoon
03-30-2008, 01:49 PM
I never understood why this feat was not in the game.

WIDEN SPELL [METAMAGIC]

Benefit: You can alter a burst, emanation, line, or spread shaped spell to increase its area. Any numeric measurements of the spell’s area increase by 100%. A widened spell uses up a spell slot three levels higher than the spell’s actual level.
Spells that do not have an area of one of these four sorts are not affected by this feat.

Good feat to add to DDO i think....

Angelus_dead
03-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I never understood why this feat was not in the game.
Good feat to add to DDO i think....

1. Sorcerers and other spellcasters are already overpowered in DDO, and don't need more.

2. In D&D, the downsize to using Widen Spell is that the blast becomes so big it's hard to avoid hitting yourself and your friends. That risk does not exist in DDO, meaning Widen would be stronger than it should be.

Just imagine what would happen if people run around dropping a single Maximized Widened Wall of Fire in each room. It'll suck.

brshelton
03-30-2008, 02:08 PM
Max+Emp+Extend+Widened Firewall FTW!!!!! lol itd be retartedly powerful.

bobbryan2
03-30-2008, 02:27 PM
For 20 extra spell points a cast? I don't really think it'd be all that overpowered. I know I wouldn't take it.

Turial
03-30-2008, 05:59 PM
It likely wasnt added to the game for the same reason that spells, that can get larger, don't increase in size. Firestorm in pnp has a very large area it covers (close to the area covered when the pit fiend falls to the ground and fire splays out). As spells grow in size they produce more stress on the system (granted this doesnt cover the stress of multiple spells hitting in the same spot, ie. lag for people with less powerful computers...like me).

brshelton
03-30-2008, 06:00 PM
For 20 extra spell points a cast? I don't really think it'd be all that overpowered. I know I wouldn't take it.

the firewall would be twice as big hitting twice the mobs..... itd be very powerful

bobbryan2
03-30-2008, 06:59 PM
the firewall would be twice as big hitting twice the mobs..... itd be very powerful

It wouldn't hit twice the mobs, it would hit the same mobs about .2 seconds earlier than it would otherwise. Unless you just lay down firewalls and hope that mobs stand in them. If the sorc is standing in the firewall, they'll go there.

It'd be more useful for things like Fireball and Horrid Wilting, and even then I'm not sure that it'd be worth the 20 spell points.

JFeenstra
03-30-2008, 07:50 PM
It wouldn't hit twice the mobs, it would hit the same mobs about .2 seconds earlier than it would otherwise. Unless you just lay down firewalls and hope that mobs stand in them. If the sorc is standing in the firewall, they'll go there.

It'd be more useful for things like Fireball and Horrid Wilting, and even then I'm not sure that it'd be worth the 20 spell points.

cone of cold
ottos sphere
delayed blast fireball
acid fog
solid fog
cloudkill
mass hold
mass charm

theres probably more, but thats just off the top of my head for the useful applications

LeLoric
03-30-2008, 08:01 PM
It probably wouldnt help a sorc that much they dont have the feats to cover it not sure what they would drop to get it.

It would be a nice metamagic that counts since wizards get most of em free now what are we gonna take at 20 Eschew?

Boulderun
03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Hey, yeah, it might make Otiluke's Freezing Sphere actually worth using instead of ineffectual garbage.

I think Widen would best be used for Weird and Wail of the Banshee, though. :D

dragnmoon
03-30-2008, 11:17 PM
The best use of it would be for the Instantaneous Area Effect spells *Firewall, etc*. I rarely use those at this time because of the lag issue making it hard to hit with because by the time you get it off, though it looks like you hit them on your PC, you didn't because in reality they are just outside to AoE on the game server.. Widen would help with that issue.

Hvymetal
03-31-2008, 02:19 AM
cone of cold
ottos sphere
delayed blast fireball
acid fog
solid fog
cloudkill
mass hold
mass charm

theres probably more, but thats just off the top of my head for the useful applications

OOO Widen & Otto's & Mass Charm :D Yea I think it would be retardedly powerful