PDA

View Full Version : The DDO Compendium Has a Whole New Look!

Quarion
03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
The DDO compendium has a whole new look! It's now wiki-based, will contain more information, and is integrated into the DDO forum system so that players can use their forum account to log into the compendium, add to it, and edit it, making it even more robust and useful to the player population. Check it out now at http://compendium.ddo.com! At the moment, there are a few "Coming Soon" pages. We'll be fleshing out the content over the next few weeks, so keep checking for new information!

What is the DDO Compendium?

The DDO Compendium is a searchable database - connected to the game itself. The Compendium contains information on nearly every item, class, and race in DDO, and will soon include information on quests, creatures and NPC characters!

Please visit the Compendium Help Forum (http://forums.ddo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)on the DDO forums with questions or feedback!

For information on getting started editing a wiki, see the "Wiki 101" link at the bottom of the compendium front page.

ArkoHighStar
03-26-2008, 04:23 PM
nicely done

looks like the end of user guide threads

wiglin
03-26-2008, 04:24 PM
Very nice.

Mad_Bombardier
03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
:eek: :)

Pellegro
03-26-2008, 04:27 PM
That is *awesome* thanks so much !

ArkoHighStar
03-26-2008, 04:29 PM
Is this a beta or final version?

Quarion
03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
This is still the beta phase, so you may find some quirks here and there, and we'll be fleshing out more information in the coming weeks.

Mad_Bombardier
03-26-2008, 04:36 PM
Question for you Q. I see an error and I can't edit it out. The error is in the official description and there's nothing I can do about it. <noedit> makes me a Sad_Bombardier. :( How can I fix it?

Drider
Very nice so far. :cool:

ArkoHighStar
This is still the beta phase, so you may find some quirks here and there, and we'll be fleshing out more information in the coming weeks.

great job then it looks quite polished, the class screens have so much more info than before

Bladedge
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Nice

Notice 2 new feats
Feat: Spell Focus: Spell Like Ability
Feat: Spell Focus: Breath Weapon

and the mention of Quivers‎

GeneralDiomedes
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
players can use their forum account to log into the compendium, add to it, and edit it

Begun, the Edit Wars have.

mrtreats
03-26-2008, 04:49 PM
LOL this will make the ddo wiki guy verry mad but its nice now we just need to migrate the ddo wiki to here. this should have been added when LOTRO got the lore book

Tolero
03-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Question for you Q. I see an error and I can't edit it out. The error is in the official description and there's nothing I can do about it. <noedit> makes me a Sad_Bombardier. :( How can I fix it?

If you see something appearing in an official entry that is in error, you can use the Report Article feature to alert us. You must be logged into the Wiki in order to report an article.

The Report Article option can be found at the top of the article and is denoted by http://compendium.ddo.com/images/ddo/report_article.gif

Gratch
03-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Heh... so will Q/T be approving our changes before they publish so we don't have too many:

"This skill is so completely worthless as to be the best skill ever for Paladins since they are the most worthless class ever."

Tolero
03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Heh... so will Q/T be approving our changes before they publish so we don't have too many:

"This skill is so completely worthless as to be the best skill ever for Paladins since they are the most worthless class ever."

Let's just say that your wiki activity and your forum activity are tied together. We can see who has made what contributions, and all contributions have to stay within the guidelines. It behooves you to behave for the sake of your posting privileges in BOTH places.

Barumar
03-26-2008, 05:03 PM
I know I am one of many who have been bugging about this for a long time, but I must say it was well worth the wait!

The DDO Compendium is now awesome!!!

Thanks to all who worked on it, and made it a reality. :)

Barumar

Mad_Bombardier
03-26-2008, 05:04 PM
If you see something appearing in an official entry that is in error, you can use the Report Article feature to alert us. You must be logged into the Wiki in order to report an article.

The Report Article option can be found at the top of the article and is denoted by http://compendium.ddo.com/images/ddo/report_article.gifExcellent. :) Thanks, Tolero!

Sertrynus
03-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Very nice change for the compendium guys

quick query though, is it possible to extract from the game Character data? Maybe to give our game characters an out of game presence. The reason I ask this is because I would like to know what I've taken as I've built my characters to future plan and see what I can change to improve the character.

Still an awesome job on the compendium

Borror0
03-26-2008, 05:09 PM
Saying it is nicely: This is ******.

Instead of helping us, they start their own. I've even sent a PM once to Q, saying if they want we can give whoever they want admin rights, then, they take off their ugly unupdated compendium and makes us the official DDO information source. Now, you guys want to start a new wiki from scratch? Fine with me... you'll never beat us, sorry.

Hafeal
03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
I am logged in now .. let the fun begin! ;)

akla_thornfist
03-26-2008, 05:11 PM
alot of hard work went into this very nice job:)

AoD45154
03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Very nice! I especially like the class pages! Everything is listed out that was missing before!:D
Good job!

Dariuss
03-26-2008, 05:22 PM
i likey

looks good, and editable... should be a great compendium

DagazUlf
03-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Very polished with nice graphics. Can't wait to see it grow.

Drider
03-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Instead of helping us, they start their own. I've even sent a PM once to Q, saying if they want we can give whoever they want admin rights, then, they take off their ugly unupdated compendium and makes us the official DDO information source. Now, you guys want to start a new wiki from scratch? Fine with me... you'll never beat us, sorry.

Its easy to explain.. it wouldn't be on their website under their own watchful eye. If anything is going to be "Official" thats the way its gotta be.

Kisaragi
03-26-2008, 05:57 PM
Things we comment on say spells, under discussion actually remain or are removed because it's not 'official'. Here's to hoping. My first post on Create Undead went in. Here's to hoping we get to comment on powers, abilities, and everything else so they know what we think about a variety of things.

aylwyne
03-26-2008, 06:09 PM
Things we comment on say spells, under discussion actually remain or are removed because it's not 'official'. Here's to hoping. My first post on Create Undead went in. Here's to hoping we get to comment on powers, abilities, and everything else so they know what we think about a variety of things.

Any user contributions will remain from one Compendium update to the next and we encourage players to contribute. The idea is to provide a framework for the community. We want the "official" sections of pages to be the beginning of the content, not the entire content.

There will always be a lot of information that can't be obtained through the game data itself such as walkthroughs, class tips, strategies, etc. We hope the community will be involved in making these contributions.

Aodh
03-26-2008, 06:13 PM
wow, very cool!

Dariuss
03-26-2008, 06:16 PM
on a side note, i know alot of people put alot of effort into the ddowiki (the unofficial one)... i know BororrO was one, not sure if he was the main one or not.... but perhaps a forum title would be in order as recognition of that work now rendered obsolete?

Kargon
03-26-2008, 06:19 PM
So where the M under class listings for silly monks? ;)

Ranmaru2
03-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Why does the compendium highly reflect the look of the World of Warcraft compendium??

DrAwkward
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Any user contributions will remain from one Compendium update to the next and we encourage players to contribute. The idea is to provide a framework for the community. We want the "official" sections of pages to be the beginning of the content, not the entire content.

There will always be a lot of information that can't be obtained through the game data itself such as walkthroughs, class tips, strategies, etc. We hope the community will be involved in making these contributions.

Howdy aylwyne! Nice to meetcha. Are you the one responsible for the alcoholic reference warning? ;):D

I'm noticing that the classes do not tell how many skill points they get per level. Might wanna sneak that in somewhere around where you list the class skills.

moorewr
03-26-2008, 07:05 PM
on a side note, i know alot of people put alot of effort into the ddowiki (the unofficial one)... i know BororrO was one, not sure if he was the main one or not.... but perhaps a forum title would be in order as recognition of that work now rendered obsolete?

They really should acknowledge the work he did somehow. A forum title is the least they could do.

I can't believe they didn't talk to him before now.. they could have invited him to contribute from the Unofficial Wiki.

smatt
03-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Very nice job to all who're invovled in making this happen!

:)

Pellegro
03-26-2008, 07:29 PM
they could have invited him to contribute from the Unofficial Wiki.

They did! They invited all of us to contribute ....

We know the hardwork Bor and the others put into the wiki - its not like we now suddenly forget.

MrCow
03-26-2008, 07:55 PM
Why does the compendium highly reflect the look of the World of Warcraft compendium??

Both are powered by Mediawiki (http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki).

As far as the DDO Wiki that Borror0 maintains... there are aspects that will continue to be superior to the official wiki because the DDO Wiki has more flexibility in what they are allowed to place and how to do so.

On an aside, my DDO Catalog now uses the DDO Compendium to provide links for spells.

Hvymetal
03-26-2008, 08:17 PM

Bor, I just want you to know that I greatly appreciate the effort you put into DDOWIKI. I for one will be using both.

Freeman
03-26-2008, 09:17 PM
I reported it already, but someone used the PnP tables for bards and sorcs. While the spells known is probably accurate, I think I get more than 1 casting a day to start with.

Quarion
03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I saw your report :)

All spell, item, skill, class and race data is taken automatically from the game database. It's not something that we manually create like the other information (where you see "Coming soon" alot LOL)

If it's not like it is in the game then theres a bug somewhere in communication from the game to the wiki.

moorewr
03-26-2008, 09:50 PM
I saw your report :)

All spell, item, skill, class and race data is taken automatically from the game database. It's not something that we manually create like the other information (where you see "Coming soon" alot LOL)

If it's not like it is in the game then theres a bug somewhere in communication from the game to the wiki.

hmm! does this mean that there is an unused "spells per day" field lurking out there from pre-alpha days?

Strakeln
03-26-2008, 10:49 PM
The DDO Compendium is a searchable database - connected to the game itself./puts tinfoil hat on

Last time you guys had a compendium linked to the game, I seem to recall it causing some issues... lag-like? Something about querying the game too much?

I was having a hard time with an unusual amount of lag in the Shroud tonight. Then I log on and see that there is a new compendium that is linked to the game itself, starting today.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Edit: Spoke with a buddy at work who has a better memory, he corrected my misunderstanding, which MT details a few posts down.

Burem
03-27-2008, 02:35 AM
/puts tinfoil hat on

Last time you guys had a compendium linked to the game, I seem to recall it causing some issues... lag-like? Something about querying the game too much?

I was having a hard time with an unusual amount of lag in the Shroud tonight. Then I log on and see that there is a new compendium that is linked to the game itself, starting today.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

You are since I doubt they're continually pulling the feat/monster/whatever information over and over from the game. It (should) only have to be taken once. (Possibly again after patches)

Borror0
03-27-2008, 03:24 AM
Its easy to explain.. it wouldn't be on their website under their own watchful eye.

Because you think we mind putting things under there control? They want to pay for the server and be the ones in control? Totally fine with me.

Yes, but that's not the point! They don't even recognise all the days I've spent editing the wiki, I mean it it's days. Just ask dragon.star how much time he spent entering the items on the current wiki... what we get for this? Nothing. Not a word, not a thank you.. nothing. All we get is a wiki to compete with ours. It's just me, but they could have helped us or offered us to help them, us our expertise in there, give us higher privs...

It's a plain splat in the face.

We know the hardwork Bor and the others put into the wiki - its not like we now suddenly forget.

Thank you.

As far as the DDO Wiki that Borror0 maintains... there are aspects that will continue to be superior to the official wiki because the DDO Wiki has more flexibility in what they are allowed to place and how to do so.

QFT

Bor, I just want you to know that I greatly appreciate the effort you put into DDOWIKI. I for one will be using both.

Thank you Hvy,

As far as using both wiki, I don't know for how long you can. I'm thinking of what to do about the wiki, it'll probably stay up there... but I'll stop editing. No, I won't edit there... I've create an account, but just loading the page makes me want to puke. I hate the looks of it, and then there is the feelings that goes to what it represents. But honestly, I don't see why Turbine wants to enter in competition with us...

As to those who will be editing, go in your preferences (Editing) and activate these two:

Enable section editing by right clicking on section titles (JavaScript)
Edit pages on double click (JavaScript)

You won't regret it, saves tons of time.

Sambvca
03-27-2008, 03:51 AM
Can we modify the player list to maybe say

Sambvca...........Human..........CL..........16
Next........

instead of a list?

& can or I do I get a prize for being first?

Compendium Registrar #1

Nefahrin
03-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Why doesn't the compendium give us useful information on jewelry, armor, weapons etc.
Let's take the bottle of air as an example.
It'd be nice if it said the description you have list PLUS
This is an underwater action item allowing the wearer to breathe water as if it were air.
It equips to to the trinket slot.

If I'm trying to find out what an item is, like say the acrobat ring, "A slightly tarnished ring with a faded engraving that must have been lost down a sewer drain. When worn, the bearer is imbued with phenomenal agility."
Really does not tell me much.
I never understood WHY it's called a compendium but doesn't provide us with useful information.

Borror0
03-27-2008, 06:40 AM
I never understood WHY it's called a compendium but doesn't provide us with useful information.

C'mon, learn how to edit a wiki and DIY.:D:rolleyes:

Nefahrin
03-27-2008, 06:43 AM
C'mon, learn how to edit a wiki and DIY.:D:rolleyes:

IF I don’t know what something is, and I’m trying to look it up to find that information, How can I edit it myself?
Read the whole thing before you post

Borror0
03-27-2008, 06:45 AM
Can we modify the player list to maybe say

That could be acheivable by DPL given they create a template for most isers to use, then, they could create a easy to understand form for you to fill. Like that, you'd get a good listing of all the characters from a server by aphebetical order and those characters' page could contain interesting information like the build, their "background" or any other comment user would feel like adding. That would also make it very simplisitc for new users to add their character to the wiki... but that's probably too much work for Turbine.

Borror0
03-27-2008, 06:46 AM
IF I don’t know what something is, and I’m trying to look it up to find that information, How can I edit it myself?
Read the whole thing before you post

That's what a wiki is, people that know what it is will fill in the blanks.. if there are no blank, someone will have to make them though. they got a brand new wiki, give them (us) time to fill it in.

MysticTheurge
03-27-2008, 08:19 AM
Interesting.

Strakeln
03-27-2008, 08:21 AM
You are since I doubt they're continually pulling the feat/monster/whatever information over and over from the game. It (should) only have to be taken once. (Possibly again after patches)Yep... except that was the exact problem that occurred last time they linked the compendium to the game, as I recall.

I'll try to dig up old posts on this today, although I think this problem was before the Great Forum Nerf of '07, so the posts I'm hoping to find may no longer exist.

Edit: Spoke with a buddy at work who has a better memory, he corrected my misunderstanding, which MT details below.

MysticTheurge
03-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Yep... except that was the exact problem that occurred last time they linked the compendium to the game, as I recall.

Last time it was the Character display on the forums and the PVP leaderboard, both of which should've been pulling information from the game far more frequently than the compendium needs to.

Yaga_Nub
03-27-2008, 08:48 AM
That's what a wiki is, people that know what it is will fill in the blanks.. if there are no blank, someone will have to make them though. they got a brand new wiki, give them (us) time to fill it in.

I hear where you're coming from Bor and I do appreciate the hard work and all the effort the ORIGINAL DDO Wiki took but if you're going to be negative/against/shooting flaming darts out of your eyes more times than not when you post about this wiki then maybe you shouldn't post about it. It really will just make you more upset.

aylwyne
03-27-2008, 08:56 AM
/puts tinfoil hat on

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Saying that it's linked to the game is perhaps a bit misleading. The compendium does not interact with the live game servers in any way. Rather, the compendium imports the underlying data files that the game uses. But even this doesn't happen in realtime when you view pages. The data is imported into a separate database just prior to releasing a new module and this database is what the website uses.

The_Silver_Griffon
03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
There is already a thread started on this in the compendium help area, but since that is under "player to player", I will post it here as well in the hopes of a "dev" response. I am unable to log in to the compendium. I have verified the username and password I use on the forum, and even tried changing the password. When I try to log in to the compendium I get an incorrect password error. So far, there are two other people who have posted with the issue, and I assume there are probably more people affected.

Strakeln
03-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Last time it was the Character display on the forums and the PVP leaderboard, both of which should've been pulling information from the game far more frequently than the compendium needs to.MT, you are correct. I ran to a buddy of mine at work with better memory than I posess, and this is what he recalled.

Told you I was paranoid! :D

kruggar
03-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Thats why all info is still capped in lvl 14?

If u import the data prior to modules then the info will be out dated? better if u import after the module right?

Borror0
03-27-2008, 10:43 AM
I hear where you're coming from Bor and I do appreciate the hard work and all the effort the ORIGINAL DDO Wiki took but if you're going to be negative/against/shooting flaming darts out of your eyes more times than not when you post about this wiki then maybe you shouldn't post about it. It really will just make you more upset.

Maybe you got this post wrong.

What I meant wasn't an attack to the DDO compendium, but more an explanation of the wiki concept. You got to understand that Turbine isn't going to release all the information, you'll have to find some of it by yourself. The crafting recipes and named items are a good example of it. If you are not satisfied of the information currently there, then add more and don't wait for someone to do it. If you don't know what the item is, there are other sources of informations available here on the forums.

Then, I do admit that I did get out of myself in other posts, but I've calmed down when I realise how weak of an implementation the DDO Compendium is and that, to my eyes, it will never compete against the DDOwiki. And I agree with you on that, I should refrain from posting about the DDO Compendium... but I got to draw a line, because I'm keeping my wiki up and running as I find it's a better website than their compendium, so I do have to "sell" my wiki too.

MysticTheurge
03-27-2008, 10:48 AM
So far, there are two other people who have posted with the issue, and I assume there are probably more people affected.

Do you all have spaces in your forum account names?

Media Wiki might not like that.

Solmage
03-27-2008, 10:54 AM
They really should acknowledge the work he did somehow. A forum title is the least they could do.

I can't believe they didn't talk to him before now.. they could have invited him to contribute from the Unofficial Wiki.

I agree. Considering how INVALUABLE the current ddowiki is, I would have really liked it if Q and friends had reached out to the authors and offered an olive branch of some sort. Although it's quite clearly unintentional, they are making their hard work obsolete since almost everyone will use the official wiki instead of the 'other one', and they, and not the ddo team, are the ones who have been supplying us for TWO YEARS with great info.

That is not what we mean, and frankly anyone with any cognitive functions should discern that.

Forget or not, it does make all their hard work go to waste. While it may be a necessary step to finally have decent official documentation, how many times in the past did we ask for such only to be told flat out "no"? At the very least, they could have asked him specifically to help port some/all of the great info there, or offered to help him do that, or given a pat in the back, or whatever.

So I have mixed feelings about this. A thumbs up for this because the game has needed decent official documentation for far too long, but I am unhappy the ddowiki and their authors were neglected. I hope this last bit is rectified.

Borror0
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM

There are plenty of spaces on DDOwiki accounts, and the new wiki runs on the same version of MediaWiki than the DDO Compendium.

tihocan
03-27-2008, 12:06 PM
That's great news :)

Obviously, it's going to compete with DDOWiki. But:
1. I'm not going to complain that the official documentation gets improved
2. As much as I would have loved to see them support DDOWiki as an official source of information, this is just not realistically possible without total control over the site content and architecture

DDOWiki editors should think about how to accomodate to the change rather than bash Turbine for trying to improve DDO's documentation.

MysticTheurge
03-27-2008, 12:14 PM
There are plenty of spaces on DDOwiki accounts, and the new wiki runs on the same version of MediaWiki than the DDO Compendium.

Hmm there goes that theory.

moorewr
03-27-2008, 12:16 PM
That's great news :)

Obviously, it's going to compete with DDOWiki. But:
1. I'm not going to complain that the official documentation gets improved
2. As much as I would have loved to see them support DDOWiki as an official source of information, this is just not realistically possible without total control over the site content and architecture

DDOWiki editors should think about how to accomodate to the change rather than bash Turbine for trying to improve DDO's documentation.

I'll agree with that. DDOWiki can handle all the stuff Turbine opts not to include, like the names and locations of rares, xp totals for slayer, maps of quests... an EXCELLENT set of crafting pages... and maybe switch emphasis on feats and enhancements to critical reviews rather than focusing on the stats.

They are totally within their rights to choose this approach for their compendium.

The_Silver_Griffon
03-27-2008, 02:25 PM

No, but one of the others does. It could be more than one issue. Tolero has responded to the other thread, though and it appears to be something that they are aware of.

Hafeal
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
Sooo, Tolero, buddy, when is the monster section going to be up and running? :)

That is the section I have the best contribution for ... along with others like MrCow .

adamkatt
03-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Nice work on the new compendium. Looks great!

Borror0
03-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Yeah, I agree.. most of my posts are the fruit of the shock/frustration I had when seeing this at first.

However, this goes totally against the reason I keep advocating posting everything on the wiki: "Let's put everyhting at one place." By making of their compendium a wiki, they enter in competition with the DDOwiki. And that's silly. If their compendium would be better than the wiki, I'd settle for the compendium, however, like MrCow already pointed out, the DDO Compendium is much more limited than the wiki.

So, in the end, I'll have to drag people from the Compendium to the wiki to get the editing going. Hopefuly, it'll have a positive impact on the wiki rather than a negative. However, I fail to understand why they favored competition rather than cooperation. I'll live with it, but nevertheless, I don't like their idea at all.

query
03-27-2008, 06:45 PM
(that was done in another thread) but I will still ask here:

Why is it that the limited martial or simple weapons classes cannot simply have their prof weapons listed?
Listing Martial weapons or Simple weapons for rogue, bard or wizard respectively is incorrect and new players using this will not see their mistake often 'till after completion is done.

And with the UNQUE weapon assortment of monks coming soon, the last thing we want are players thinking they can use all simple and exotic weapons. This was something that shoud have been addressd in Alpha Testing let alone open beta.

Please please please fix the L1 available weapons feats for those kinds of classes, or let us fix them for you as it is supposed to be the Players' Compendium now.

Thank you.

Anarkius
03-27-2008, 08:00 PM
... you'll never beat us, sorry.

::Sigh:: Must it always come down to this? Thanks for the update guys! I look forward to contributing.

Kargon
03-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Are kargon blind, or are clothiming (helmets and cloaks and so on) totamally missing from the items catemagory? kargon not see any clothiming at all, not even a 'Coming Soon' page (unless count the Cloth Armor sectimion, kargon did find that). Silly clothiming.

Burem
03-28-2008, 06:10 AM
Are kargon blind, or are clothiming (helmets and cloaks and so on) totamally missing from the items catemagory? kargon not see any clothiming at all, not even a 'Coming Soon' page (unless count the Cloth Armor sectimion, kargon did find that). Silly clothiming.

Clothing is currently a subcategory of armor which is somewhat misleading since it's never sorted that way anywhere else.

Yaga_Nub
03-28-2008, 10:35 AM
Maybe you got this post wrong....

Hey Bor not trying to bash you and I understood what you have been trying to say in all of your posts.

I was just suggesting a step back for a moment (day or two) and then come back into the discussion. You seem to be okay (as much as expected) so forget I mentioned it. :)

Kargon
03-28-2008, 11:00 AM
Clothing is currently a subcategory of armor which is somewhat misleading since it's never sorted that way anywhere else.

Kargon checked in there earlier and only saw robes, which are what supposed to be in there. even the AH list the robe catemagory as 'Cloth', probamally since monk clothing also going to go in there with mod 7, but kargon talking about helmets and cloaks and belts and gloves and so on. Kargon will check that area again when kargon can get the compendium to load, it seem to either be down or kargon work intermanet not playing nice with it at moment.

Borror0
03-28-2008, 11:05 AM
First, I had decided to not respond to this post, as nothing could come out of it and I'd end up proving your point. However, with withdrawal, I found a way to make my point clear without going into large explanations that probably wouldn't convince you anyway.

So, you say this:

::Sigh:: Must it always come down to this? Thanks for the update guys! I look forward to contributing.

When I had said this previously:

However, I fail to understand why they favored competition rather than cooperation.

I want the best wiki possible. With the degree of control Turbine gives on on their compendium, I cannot acheive this. I keep my own as I think I can do better.

I was just suggesting a step back for a moment (day or two) and then come back into the discussion.

Thanks Yaga. :)

Borror0
03-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Kargon checked in there earlier and only saw robes, which are what supposed to be in there. even the AH list the robe catemagory as 'Cloth', probamally since monk clothing also going to go in there with mod 7, but kargon talking about helmets and cloaks and belts and gloves and so on. Kargon will check that area again when kargon can get the compendium to load, it seem to either be down or kargon work intermanet not playing nice with it at moment.

I think the best is opt for the most logical option, even if it's not the easiest. Like I often say on the wiki's talk pages: "What's the point of having a wiki if no one can find the information on it?"

I assume the DDO Compendium has the same protocol as us. First, start a talk page asking for a move. Let the debate happen, if there are any, then ask for a move. (Probably less complicated with us as the admin will participate on the talk pages, I don't know how Turbine will deal with that though.) You could always start moving stuff right now, but that might create some CHAOS and give some headache to the admins, hehe

tihocan
03-28-2008, 11:38 AM
However, this goes totally against the reason I keep advocating posting everything on the wiki: "Let's put everyhting at one place." By making of their compendium a wiki, they enter in competition with the DDOwiki. And that's silly. If their compendium would be better than the wiki, I'd settle for the compendium, however, like MrCow already pointed out, the DDO Compendium is much more limited than the wiki.
Well, that's true, but you have to be realistic: they just can't officially move to DDOWiki. They need a site on which they have total control for official content. Otherwise, there is too much risk involved, as they have to trust people who have no obligation at all towards them. That's sad, but it's a business they're running...

Borror0
03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
They need a site on which they have total control for official content.

I know, but there was ways to make it so and entering in cooperation with us.

Kargon
03-28-2008, 01:19 PM
I think the best is opt for the most logical option, even if it's not the easiest. Like I often say on the wiki's talk pages: "What's the point of having a wiki if no one can find the information on it?"

I assume the DDO Compendium has the same protocol as us. First, start a talk page asking for a move. Let the debate happen, if there are any, then ask for a move. (Probably less complicated with us as the admin will participate on the talk pages, I don't know how Turbine will deal with that though.) You could always start moving stuff right now, but that might create some CHAOS and give some headache to the admins, hehe

Kargon actuamally figured out two things. First, the Clothing option under the armor catemagory are correctly robes only, so there are no need to move anymathing there.

Secomond, glove/cloak/etc clothiming are listed as Category:Clothing Items, which are fine, just the main page and Items page needs to have a link added in that sub catemagory list.

Heladron
03-31-2008, 08:58 AM
Very Nice addition and way better than the static versions in the old Compendium.

Chosen
03-31-2008, 10:06 AM
I agree. The new compendium is amazing! It's been so much easier for me to find information.

Tolero
04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
If you are someone who is having difficulty accessing the Compendium, and you have spaces in your forum name, please contact us either through http://support.turbine.com or using the Contact Us at the bottom of the page and we are happy to help!

MysticTheurge
04-02-2008, 09:57 AM

If you are someone who is having difficulty accessing the Compendium, and you have spaces in your forum name...

Win!

phinius
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Very nice change. It is actually very useful now.

binnsr
04-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Everyone is saying that this is SO much more useful.. am I the only one that sees that we lost a lot of information in the transition?

example:
In the old compendium, the TWF feats were listed like this:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/eldamir/DDO/gTWF_old.jpg

In the new one, they're listed like this:
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/eldamir/DDO/gTWF_new.jpg

Is the community expected to transcribe all of the requirements, etc. from the old compendium into the new one?

Tolero
04-03-2008, 12:48 PM
This is definitely only the first pass. While the community I'm sure will be very active in "filling in gaps" in information, our intent is not to leave it be. Some pages are most certainly not as fleshed out and helpful as they could be...yet, and we'll keep plugging away to fix that :)

Borror0
04-03-2008, 12:50 PM
This is definitely only the first pass. While the community I'm sure will be very active in "filling in gaps" in information, our intent is not to leave it be. Some pages are most certainly not as fleshed out and helpful as they could be...yet, and we'll keep plugging away to fix that :)

How about enabling the community to fix it for you? You know, like a good wiki should?

I mean, at worse get FlaggedRev... but c'mon... [edit: I don't enjoy the Compendium]

Ustice
04-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I agree. While the locked content looks nice, it is of little use, and just makes the wiki less useful. Care to crack that open just a little wider?

TreknaQudane
04-03-2008, 04:10 PM
How about enabling the community to fix it for you? You know, like a good wiki should?

I mean, at worse get FlaggedRev... but c'mon... [edit: I don't enjoy the Compendium].

For every one person with good intentions on this forum I'm betting those with bad intentions would out number them. It's safer to allow certain portions of content to not be edited by players than to deal with that level of vandalism.

DNDJESS
04-03-2008, 04:11 PM
One minor issue, but there is one display issue that I think needs to be resolved. When you look at the enhancement lists by level, they should be listed in sequential order. Right now, instead of 1 2 3 4 5 etc, it lists them:

ahpook
04-03-2008, 04:24 PM
For every one person with good intentions on this forum I'm betting those with bad intentions would out number them. It's safer to allow certain portions of content to not be edited by players than to deal with that level of vandalism.

That's what Encyclopedia Brittania said about Wikipedia. Which one of those is now more commonly used?

MrCow
04-03-2008, 04:28 PM
One minor issue, but there is one display issue that I think needs to be resolved. When you look at the enhancement lists by level, they should be listed in sequential order. Right now, instead of 1 2 3 4 5 etc, it lists them:

That would be a database sorting by characters/strings/words rather than sorting by integers/numbers.

Dark_Helmet
04-03-2008, 04:59 PM
That's what Encyclopedia Brittania said about Wikipedia. Which one of those is now more commonly used?

Wikipedia...where you can also read how low-land gorillas eat sharks as part of their diet. I also notice that most news channels are talking heads of opinions and not factual based anymore... They have become entertainment channels that you can't believe everything you see on them.

Sometimes the most popular is not the most accurate, so I like the fact that DDO is locking it down (now we can just blame them for inaccuracies :cool: ).

TreknaQudane
04-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Just because one is more commonly used than the other does not make it more reliable.

Tolero
04-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Pages with "official" entires should still enable you to add additional information onto the page. There are few exceptions, but if anyone is having trouble editing a page please let us know so we can look into it.

Talcyndl
04-03-2008, 05:09 PM
There is an important difference between the DDO Wiki and Wikipedia. All changes to the DDO Wiki are linked to non-anonymous accounts. Accounts that can be banned and denied access to the game they are paying for.

Now there are certainly some folks who will accept such a ban for pointless vandalism. But I don't think the numbers are too significant.

That being said, I can understand Turbine wanting to protect at a minimum the formatting some of the "main" pages. Keeping that consistency safe from (even well intentioned) changes is a worthwhile goal.

Borror0
04-03-2008, 05:33 PM

Ok, hehe... let's the fun get started.

First of all, it's a wiki. As a result, all changes made are displayed on the Recent Changes (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Special:Recentchanges) page. So, as soon an edit is made, it appears there. If the information is wrong, any user can correct it. It is even possible to programm a bot to warn by email or on a chat programm that a change has been made to the wiki.

Secondly, the amount of vandalism is very minimal. On the wiki, I almost never had any. A few people have fun from time to time, but it takes a few second to revert it anyway... and the compendium is not protected from that. If I want, I can always blank the page.

Thirdly, on this wiki, we must register, which cuts a lot of the vandalism. If an user have fun and make noobalism, Turbine can ban it from editing. At that point, the only page they could edit is their own user section... so, nothing to worry there.

And lastly, and it's my important point, they can use FlaggedRev. What's FlaggedRev? It's something we have installed on the new wiki. Basicly, we can decide to protect a page... but allowing edits on it at the same time. To do that, we define a certain version of the page as the "stable version". From that point, any user that uploads the page will only see the stable version. There is also a notice at the top offering you to watch the "draft version" - the newly edited page. Like that, you can ansure that a the information is present on a page while allowing users to contribute to that page.

Of course, when you try to edit the page you will edit the most recent draft, rather than the stable version. When a moderator has the time, he can check the last edits made to the page and flag it as stable... or revert the draft to the previous version, removing that way any erroneous information present. It,s a slight deviation from the wiki spirit, but it's useful in instances like this.

Borror0
04-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Pages with "official" entires should still enable you to add additional information onto the page. There are few exceptions, but if anyone is having trouble editing a page please let us know so we can look into it.

Yes, but it looks silly without the application of any template. Just some random lines at the bottom.

You guys have put so much HTML and stuff on your "official" pages that it renders the page asbolutly ugly when you edit it and add stuff. Besides, if you don't force people into using a template... be ready for chaos. I talk with experience here.

Borror0
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Sometimes the most popular is not the most accurate, so I like the fact that DDO is locking it down (now we can just blame them for inaccuracies :cool: ).

Just because one is more commonly used than the other does not make it more reliable.

The downfall of wikipedia is that trying to gather EVERYTHING on a wiki is just too much. On a specialised wiki, the issues are much lesser, unless there is no serious editors look at the recent changes. On a specialised wiki, like the Compendium or the DDOwiki, there are people that know what the subject is. If the edit is total non-sense, they'll revert it.

Ganak
04-03-2008, 05:40 PM
Pretty awesome I must say...

Just a few days before the new compendium was to be released I was just about to post to gripe about the old one, hehe I figure the new one deserved for me to post how impressed I am. Nice work!

Ustice
04-04-2008, 07:46 AM
Hey, Turbine... How about making Borrow0 a community editor on the Compendium? I think that he (you are male, right? ... stupid english language not having a non-insulting gender-unspecific third-person pronoun.) has shown that he knows how to run a wiki. I'd even suggest comping his account as a sort of payment. :)

MysticTheurge would be another member that I think would make a good community editor as well.

moorewr
04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
The downfall of wikipedia is that trying to gather EVERYTHING on a wiki is just too much. On a specialised wiki, the issues are much lesser, unless there is no serious editors look at the recent changes. On a specialised wiki, like the Compendium or the DDOwiki, there are people that know what the subject is. If the edit is total non-sense, they'll revert it.

I just noticed Borror's forum title! Thank you to Turbine for giving him that.