PDA

View Full Version : Is the classic D&D Party ineffective in DDO?

KillingGameshow
03-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Back in the day, the classic party was:

1) Fighter, or maybe a Paladin
2) Cleric
3) Mage
4) Thief

Is this party of pure, core classes no longer as effective as the myriad of hybrids?

Oran_Lathor
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Perfectly viable four man party. Better than most.

HighJoe
03-26-2008, 12:56 PM
But remember, the way the dungeons in DDO scale, this party would need to make sure they were of a significant number of levels higher then the stated level of a given quest, if attempting it on (perhaps) hard or (certainly) on elite. Just my 2 copper of it.

sigtrent
03-26-2008, 01:01 PM
That party would be fine so long as the character's arn't hyper specilized. The cleric would need to be a decent defensive tank and the rouge would need to be a decent damage dealer. The nice thing about the party you list is that they arn't missing any significant game abbilities.

Where such a party can go wrong is if each character is badly niched. So if the rogue can only do traps, he isn't much use most of the time. If the cleric only heals they are usefull but it puts a lot of pressure on the wizard and fighter to handle all the damage dealing. If the fighter is all offense they may have serious issues staying alive as the only melee tank. Etc... You could still make it work but you would likely struggle, especialy at lower levels where the casters don't have as many all powerfull spells.

You don't need to multi class in order to have a versatile character, but it can help with that.

Generaly DDO parties run with 6 members becaue they can, although experienced players will often run wtih smaller groups. At high level this is especialy true as most characters have a lot of tricks and magic items that can overcome their inherent class weaknesses.

The key is always teamwork, and learning how to adjust your tactics to what the group is good at. Parties of all casters or all melee characters can be very effective but they play differently in the same quest and use very different tactics.

Talon_Moonshadow
03-26-2008, 01:21 PM
Huh?
It's been my experiance that that is exactly the party everyone in DDO wants!
But in DDO we fill up to six and run through traps, so we don't respect rogues.

The only difference of opinion is what to fill up the last two slots with. Bofore MOD 5 it was two tanks. After MOD 5, 2 arcanes, and we still haven't decided on Mod 6 yet.

RACRGUY
03-26-2008, 01:27 PM
2 CLERICS :D
or 2 rogues

unionyes
03-26-2008, 01:40 PM
The idealized party is not dead in DDO. Just look at how many multi classes there are out there. They are just different attempts to fill different niches in the idealized party.

No matter what the classes or builds, you still need the idealized D+D party - A melee, a healer, a trapsmith/doorfinder/lockpicker, a crowd control/offensive caster. Only difference I can see in DDO is that the classes can and are being built to do different things than we are used to thinking of them as in old school PnP.

Dariun
03-26-2008, 02:06 PM
I've been playing with a fighter, mage, cleric, rogue static group for 2 years (we are currently all lvl 12/13 and working our way through the desert quests).

Generally, the grouping works out just fine, but there are some missions that are very tough to do until we are a level or two above them or we know the mission very well.

It really is fun, but both the rogue and the cleric have to be able to fight a little and the rogue needs decent UMD to help with healing and such (our fighter eventually splashed a level of paladin so he could help with healing too).

The biggest problem we have had is around lvl 8 or 9 you start having missions where you will have encounters where you will fight 6-12 tough monsters at once. In these cases either the mage has to burn a lot of spell points or the party can get overwhelmed.

There have been many times where we really felt like missions that were really really tough for us would have been fairly easy with another strong melee or arcane (and having both would have made the missions a breeze). We definitely had a lot more deaths than people traveling in groups of 6 would (although now that the death penalty has been changed that is less of an issue).

All in all I would say it is a challenging and exciting way to play -- many of the quests that get described as "easy" on the forum were quite a challenge for us (esp. first time in with no spoilers).

My group is all real life friends (which is why we stay at 4 and don't invite strangers), and it has been a blast. But there have been many times I wished we could convince another friend or two to join DDO so we could be a group of 5 or 6.

My advice would be if you are starting a new static group and can do it with 5 or 6, do it with 5 or 6.

If you want to do it with 4, make sure your characters are flexible. The mage can be a pure type character, but the cleric needs to be able to fight a bit, it is great if the fighter has at least a little paladin or ranger for healing, and the rogue needs to have decent hit points and melee ability (and a splash of ranger, fighter, or paladin is a real good idea).

boldarblood
03-26-2008, 02:38 PM
But remember, the way the dungeons in DDO scale, this party would need to make sure they were of a significant number of levels higher then the stated level of a given quest, if attempting it on (perhaps) hard or (certainly) on elite. Just my 2 copper of it.

This is not necesarly a true statement. I 2-3 man every vale (and gh when it was run more), and a great majority of them do not need a cleric to be succesful. As long as you got smart players who know each other well, then you can do 90%+ of the quests in game short manned.

KillingGameshow
03-26-2008, 03:15 PM
My present plan is to get 4 people together to form the core D&D 1.0 party. If i can find a 5th guy, then i'll take the "5th place" and be the bard for support filler. I'm glad to hear that it'll work. I myself am not terribly familiar with D&D 3.0+ (although i did play through all the neverwinter nights games), so i was rather shocked at all the level splashing going on. For better or worse, I think for now i'm a pure class kind of guy.

Arianrhod
03-26-2008, 04:36 PM
My present plan is to get 4 people together to form the core D&D 1.0 party. If i can find a 5th guy, then i'll take the "5th place" and be the bard for support filler. I'm glad to hear that it'll work. I myself am not terribly familiar with D&D 3.0+ (although i did play through all the neverwinter nights games), so i was rather shocked at all the level splashing going on. For better or worse, I think for now i'm a pure class kind of guy.

A lot of the "splashing" is done by people who don't play in static groups; in pickup groups, it's more important for every character to be flexible enough to be able to pick up the slack, in case a particular class isn't available, or a particular player is less than optimal. For a static group, pure-class characters who work well together make a stronger team overall than the "splash" types. Just like traditional D&D. And a bard makes a very good fifth :D

Snoggy
03-26-2008, 06:27 PM
I thought the classic D&D party makeup was:

Ranger
Cavalier
Thief
Acrobat
Wizard
Barbarian

and baby unicorn

?

captain1z
03-26-2008, 06:42 PM
I thought the classic D&D party makeup was:

Ranger
Cavalier
Thief
Acrobat
Wizard
Barbarian

and baby unicorn

?

A party that only occurs after riding magical rollercoasters and still one of the best