PDA

View Full Version : 8 INT = still able to disable or gimp

Wu_Jen
03-26-2008, 03:58 AM
Seeing as how 8 vs a starting 14 INT gives you +3 better DD, does it matter if you start with 8 INT or not? Seeing as how you still have enough points to put into DD/OL/Search/UMD/Diplo. Is it necessary to have higher than 8 INT? What are your thoughts?

Uska
03-26-2008, 04:21 AM
Hate starting my skills on search and dd on a minus you will behind by 3 pts always.

Vaypor
03-26-2008, 04:35 AM
I personally think you'll find it tougher both by always having to roll higher for your rogue skills, and having less pts. for skills per lvl. I'm sure it can work, it'll just be tougher cause you'll need to roll alot more 18 +'s to get the job done.

Good luck.

Vormaerin
03-26-2008, 04:41 AM
You'll probably need to spend more points on skill enhancements and be more careful to always use top notch tools and skills items, but you can get it done with an 8 Int as far as DD goes.

Where it will hurt you is only have 7 (or 8 if human) skill points per level instead of 11 or 12. DD, OL, Search, Spot, UMD, Jump are probably all you "need". But Haggle, Diplomacy or Bluff, Hide, Move Silently, Tumble, and others are quite nice to have.

Wu_Jen
03-26-2008, 05:53 AM
I always start all my new Rogues out with +5 thieves tools, and I have lvl appropriate gear i.e. +3 at 1st lvl, +5 at 5th lvl etc. and I can keep her in Heroism pots until she hits 9th to use planar grids, so I'm not worried in that regard. I'm thinking about making a new 1/2ling rogue and just curious if I could skimp a bit on starting INT. I do have a +2 INT tome I can drop at 1st lvl. So in actuality she would be 10 base INT after 1st lvl.

Vormaerin
03-26-2008, 06:10 AM
In that case, you shouldn't have a problem.

bandyman1
03-26-2008, 06:11 AM
IMHO, it'd be much easier to do with an Elf or Drow. The main penalty you take by dump stating Int ( other than having fewer skills with max ranks ) is search. The main reason being you don't get a roll for for it. You either meet the DC or you're never finding that box. At higher levels, it shouldn't be as big a problem as you have access to better gear/buffs. But leveling could be a pain.

Elves/Drow get +2 search at creation, and a racial enhancement line as well, allowing you to raise the skill faster and at a cheaper AP cost vs. a halfling ( i.e. Rogue search I + Elven perception I = +2 to search for 2 APs available at level 1, VS Rogue search II = +2 for 3 APs available at level 3 )

Personally, I'd wait before using the tome. Make the toon and experiment for a few levels. Get yourself some nice leveling gear ( highest search item available for your level ) and hero pots, and play the toon to see it's gonna be a viable build through the low levels.

krud
03-26-2008, 08:04 AM
With top end gear you should be ok as far as DD is concerned. The main problem will most likely be with search in elite quests, but as bandyman pointed out, if you are elf/drow it won't matter as much since you can make up the difference in enhancements/racial abilities. However, I like to start out with no minuses and would suggest a minimum of 10.