PDA

View Full Version : Name not allowed?

Seedyman
03-21-2008, 12:48 AM
I was trying to create a new character, I have encountered the that name taken message, but today I got this name not allowed please choose another first or last name.

Sorry, could you please be a little more vague?!?

Please have errors tell you EXACTLY what the problem is and how to fix it.
I wasted an hour of my time today trying to figure out what the #$%#$ program wanted me to do.

Games are supposed to be fun, not make you angry or otherwise increase stress.
If I already had high blood pressure I would be dead now, I think; as it is I have a headache and don't really feel like playing anymore.

Lithic
03-21-2008, 12:21 PM
name not allowed means (I think) it has been locked out by the game's developers (or someone similar). Usually this is a name taken from the DnD fiction (Elminster, Drizzt, Mystra, etc), or its a word that the censor blocks out. I wont post those, but I am sure you can imagine them.

Just take it as "name taken" and move on.

Seedyman
03-21-2008, 10:25 PM
name not allowed means (I think) it has been locked out by the game's developers (or someone similar). Usually this is a name taken from the DnD fiction (Elminster, Drizzt, Mystra, etc), or its a word that the censor blocks out. I wont post those, but I am sure you can imagine them.

Just take it as "name taken" and move on.

Ah but it didn't tell me which, basically the message was "one of those names is taken and I'm not telling which" since I have only read a small portion of the DnD fiction, I don't know all of the forbidden ones.

Cyclone
03-22-2008, 12:01 AM
The swear filter gets a lot of things that seem ordinary. Such as parts of names of quests and monsters that are in the game, but are obscurely related to vaguely sexually explicit speech. "This name is not allowed" simply means that it's against the naming policy.

Janathian
03-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Out of curiosity, what where you trying to name your character?

Seedyman
03-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Out of curiosity, what where you trying to name your character?

The portion of the name the thing had a problem with was Lightwater as the surname.

Freeman
03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
The portion of the name the thing had a problem with was Lightwater as the surname.

Well, that ones easy enough to see. Ligh****er. The filter picks up things like that to keep people from sneaking stuff in inside other words. Odd though, it is fine if you just type it out, but if you try to bold or highlight it, it gets filtered. Guess the board filters are better than the name ones. Just look at the part that got filtered out of your name.

Seedyman
03-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Well, that ones easy enough to see. Ligh****er. The filter picks up things like that to keep people from sneaking stuff in inside other words. Odd though, it is fine if you just type it out, but if you try to bold or highlight it, it gets filtered. Guess the board filters are better than the name ones. Just look at the part that got filtered out of your name.

Which is why no filter will ever even be adequate until we get real AI.
If you tag part of the word, it's effectively putting spaces around the part you are highlighting, i.e. that part of the word is isn't a part of another word anymore, it's out there for everyone to see, or not.

Sparker
03-23-2008, 11:45 PM
And another case of the filter being a bit too good.

Sorry you could not use the name Seedyman.

GeneralDiomedes
03-24-2008, 12:03 AM
*chuckle*

Maldrake
03-28-2008, 04:24 PM
I was trying to create a new character, I have encountered the that name taken message, but today I got this name not allowed please choose another first or last name.

Sorry, could you please be a little more vague?!?

Please have errors tell you EXACTLY what the problem is and how to fix it.
I wasted an hour of my time today trying to figure out what the #$%#$ program wanted me to do.

Games are supposed to be fun, not make you angry or otherwise increase stress.
If I already had high blood pressure I would be dead now, I think; as it is I have a headache and don't really feel like playing anymore.

ok you spent way to much time on your name like you said its a game use a plat farmer name like kdfHAJLFHA it ll be fun to see all in your group try and pronounce it think of it as a game (there is that word again )