PDA

View Full Version : Why won't you let me solo VON 2?

GlassCannon
03-20-2008, 12:15 AM
You removed my ability to skip the Arcane Ooze with my Sorceress 16.

If you make the preraid quests MANDATORY, please make them open and soloable by well equipped characters of ANY and ALL classes please. Take the tree back out.

Strykersz
03-20-2008, 12:21 AM

If you make the preraid quests MANDATORY, please make them open and soloable by well equipped characters of ANY and ALL classes please. Take the tree back out.

Your well equipped sorc doesn't have muckbanes?

Supercharged
03-20-2008, 12:22 AM
Or disintegrate?(even scrolls work...kinda)

GlassCannon
03-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Your well equipped sorc doesn't have muckbanes?

What competent caster(pure) do you know that melees?

What competent caster(pure) do you know that melees Arcane Ooze or Beholders?

The concept is just plain ludicrous, taking an 8 str 8 dex caster pure designed for spell usage and meleeing spell siphoning creatures.

GlassCannon
03-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Or disintegrate?(even scrolls work...kinda)

I'll try that... everything I threw at them they were Immune to, including Poison.

A Caster trying to SpeedFlag the Dragon Raid should not have to use special spells though...

I'd like the flagging to be optional, like with SR or Abbott. Once done, done.

I want DQ to be that way too. We lost 7 hours today as a guild flagging half a raid party for DQ(mix and match, and 3 people had to leave... one cleric kept advancing wrong)

Angelus_dead
03-20-2008, 01:40 AM
A Caster trying to SpeedFlag the Dragon Raid should not have to use special spells though...
Disintegrate is not a "special" spell. It is the sorcerer's all-purpose Hurt Anything spell. What else would you do against red-named undeads? The big ones are immune to Firewall ya know.

GlassCannon
03-20-2008, 01:42 AM
Disintegrate is not a "special" spell. It is the sorcerer's all-purpose Hurt Anything spell. What else would you do against red-named undeads? The big ones are immune to Firewall ya know.

Being a spell I thought the Ooze would just sit there and glurp at me while a big white *IMMUNE* message rose over it. I got the Ranger to handle things for me there.

When I don't have a Ranger, I'll try that, but I have been tricked into using something that should work before, and doesn't(like when the Altars of Flame in Fane of the Prelate suddenly became immune to Cold...)

Whulffer
03-20-2008, 01:50 AM
This is a joke, right?

Angelus_dead
03-20-2008, 01:56 AM
This is a joke, right?
Since it's a problem that could be solved with a +1 returning dagger and some autoattack... yeah, it may be a joke.

Emili
03-20-2008, 04:26 AM
Since it's a problem that could be solved with a +1 returning dagger and some autoattack... yeah, it may be a joke.

Ran it on my wizard and I used a +3 frost returning dagger is all for the ooze, only because i wanted to conserve my mana. (then again my wizard has decent dex and an minor amount of str... even with maxed out int I had plenty of build points for con dex and lvling the other stats, I can pull out a para bow and help out there when mana is tight, which brings me to the conclusion that the sorc in question is max'd cha, a lvl'd int and all con?). Ooze btw have the lowest ac's even on elite am willing to bet even with an 8 dex should you toss on a +4 dex item you'd still be able to range them with a divine power clickie. The conclusion I have then is that his build has trouble soloing von 2 - which he could have used distintigrate - but most casters I would think have no such problems.

Now weather we view Turbine as being right or wrong for making us actually dispose of the ooze is another debate - it's thier quest - They're the DM. Also wether or not turbine wants to keep the flaging quests for von 5-6 as pres is also thier call, although i really wish it were akin to the other raid systems.

Turial
03-20-2008, 05:54 AM
This is a joke, right?

Glass brings up a reasonable request. One used to be able to do this to no real detriment to the quest. It allowed casters who wanted to keep sp the option to not risk it by making a jump. The issue is that where the tree was added helped to fix a stuck spot that turbine had gotten a number of bug reports about. While the change helped a number of players it also had the effect of suddenly making an optional objective into one that you have to complete. An objective that does have the ability to cripple a high level caster much more then it harms any other character type.

Clorkan
03-20-2008, 06:13 AM
My lvl 14 pure Wiz soloed the arcane oozes, and with 3 death penalty neg lvls to boot. I just tried to keep them in as tight a group as I could and cast Ice Storm on them, which does Bludgeoning damage as well as cold. They aren't immune to bludgeoning.

query
03-20-2008, 06:33 AM
If you can solo a non solo quest, then you can afford to buy a darn muck bane, muck's doom, an everbight club or a similar blunt weapon.

Or suck it up and learn to join a PARTY as D&D's DDO intneded.

Just because you CAN solo it doesn't mean they have to SUPPORT VON solo.

I killed the Reaver solo once, that doesn't mean I'm complaining if I can't do it again.

And yeah, I'm an exceptionally competant wizard who can solo fire ellies and earth ellies in Rainbow elite with weapon, spell, or mixed.

That doesn't mean I do it let alone all the time either.

So be happy you can SOLO the VON without the squishy worries and swing a dang weapon for 30 seconds like we all do if not casting ther said previously listed spells.

After all, I held my nose in the Pit to get it just like everybody else, let alone the muckbane I used for 4 months before that.

(Wonders if the first post was a shadow boast or if the person really thought that's the way D&D was supposed to be played as messed up [and it is REALLY messed up having to do 6 quests for one raid] as the VON setup is.)

Lorien_the_First_One
03-20-2008, 07:12 AM
get a party or use disintegrate

naw just get a party...this game should be balanced for groups and not solo anyway

stockwizard5
03-20-2008, 07:38 AM
To me the real problem is not Glass's lack of solo'ability - its yet another silly change (that in no way fixed a bug or exploit) that should have been spent on new content.

Maybe we would have gotten more than 5 new quests + raid :(

MysticTheurge
03-20-2008, 07:45 AM
its yet another silly change (that in no way fixed a bug or exploit) that should have been spent on new content.

Your comment shows a complete and utter lack of background of this particular complaint.

It did fix a bug. A stuck spot to be precise. Deal with it.

Venar
03-20-2008, 07:59 AM
bring a scroll of tensers and melee.
bring a scroll of summon monster 6.
bring a scroll of summon undead, make ghouls, and then charm undead as they break free.
bring a wand of ice storm.

Jhoran
03-20-2008, 08:15 AM
"We lost 7 hours today as a guild flagging half a raid party for DQ"

how is this getting no love??

7 hours?

Serpent
03-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Buy some pots, melee the oozes with whatever weapon you have, they have AC cr@p and they don't break equipment. Then go back down and use the shrine.

Missing_Minds
03-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Even if he is all con and stat ability based, he could always blow a tensers and melee the suckers without issue.
Or use a summon or few, along with a wand of ice storm.

Dariun
03-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Summon Monster scrolls + Ooze Puppet! :cool:

Boulderun
03-20-2008, 11:24 AM

Ones that can solo VON 2.

Oreg
03-20-2008, 11:26 AM

The concept is just plain ludicrous, taking an 8 str 8 dex caster pure designed for spell usage and meleeing spell siphoning creatures.

me actually. Dual muckbanes in there and you can take them down fast enough without much spell drain. I am more than competent a a caster. I don't see your point on the beholders.....

Talon_Moonshadow
03-20-2008, 11:27 AM
Padded armor, Mithral Shield, Muckbane, divine Power clickie, Tenser's Transformation scrolls.......mana pots, or just go back and use the shrine afterwards. Add Blur/displacement/haste......stoneskin maybe.

Seems soloable to me by anyone high enough lvl to be soloing it anyway.

Talon_Moonshadow
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM

LOL!

Talon_Moonshadow
03-20-2008, 11:45 AM
God, I gotta add:

All my casters carry weapons. SP is limited and someday will run out. I try my best not to be useless without SP.

My Wiz15 can actually fight pretty good....but I probably gave up a lot of Wiz power to get her to do so.
My Sor13 doesn't fight well at all, but she still carries weapons and still tries to do something when out of SP or when spells don't work.

Same with my cleric......she doesn't gewt to fight often, but she carries the best weapons I find or have room for.

And anyone can peck away at something from a distance and still contribute. With a good weapon, even an extrememly wimpy toon can help a party out a little.

And I know this topic is about soloing......but if you expect to solo anything, it means being versitile.
D&D has never been about being able to use only one tactic in every situation.......you have to adapt. be creative and find a way to overcome obsticles.

That means Brbs ranging air elementals instead of meleeing them.......that means Sorcs using weapons on arcane oozes.....and Iron Golems.
And many other things.

if your toon is a one trick pony, you are not Uber IMO.

Emili
03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Even if he is all con and stat ability based, he could always blow a tensers and melee the suckers without issue.
Or use a summon or few, along with a wand of ice storm.

My setiments exactly... where there is a will there is a way... even an 8 str/8 dex character with a few buffs can melee or range the ooze, infact there are spots up there you can avoid being even hit. You can spell the things to death via quite a few spells all it takes is taking some time to think about what you're doing is all.

GeneralDiomedes
03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Heck, you could even just time this fight near the end so you can shrine right afterwards if they suck all your mana.

The title should have been

How do you guys solo Von2 on your caster now?

MysticTheurge
03-20-2008, 12:12 PM
You know... on the topic of Tenser's...

It'd be pretty sweet if a side effect of the "Can't cast spells" part of Tenser's was an immunity to the SP draining ability of Arcane Oozes.

It would make some logical sense.

Missing_Minds
03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
You know... on the topic of Tenser's...

It'd be pretty sweet if a side effect of the "Can't cast spells" part of Tenser's was an immunity to the SP draining ability of Arcane Oozes.

It would make some logical sense.

I like that idea honestly. :)

also, correct me if I'm wrong.. but arcane slimes. They don't split as I recall. funny things you could do with a para against them.

I still want to stick an arcane slime in a jar and call it a lava lamp. :) Wonder what sort of soul stone they'd create.

rimble
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM

Heck yeah. Love my dual Heavy Picks (with Bloodstone). Hold Monster - Hit,Hit - Dead. It's pretty much InstaKill for Enchanters. You bet my Green Steel weapons will be Khopeshes...oh yes...

JFeenstra
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM

also, correct me if I'm wrong.. but arcane slimes. They don't split as I recall. funny things you could do with a para against them.

I still want to stick an arcane slime in a jar and call it a lava lamp. :) Wonder what sort of soul stone they'd create.they're probably immune to trap the soul (not proven)

Gadget2775
03-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Maybe we would have gotten more than 5 new quests + raid :(

Yeah, how dare they not give us the basis of crafting, a new exlorable area, the Twelve or a new outpost. I mean really, only 5 new quest and a raid is silly since they didn't add any of those things. :D

Yuhjn
03-20-2008, 05:59 PM
You can still make the jump if you work at it.

Cahira
03-21-2008, 02:05 PM
There is also the option of Greater Ooze Slaying Arrows/Bolts.

Low AC + Non-splitting Arcane Oozes = Easy to hit with Slaying Ammo.

I don't know how readily available Slaying arrows and bolts are for most people because I'm the only ranged main character in my guild...so all slaying ammo (arrows and bolts) end up with my characters...I have about 4 inventory or bank slots of it (spread across 2 characters).

But if you don't have people giving you the ammo, it may be available on the Auction House.

Zenako
03-21-2008, 02:18 PM
There is also the option of Greater Ooze Slaying Arrows/Bolts.

Low AC + Non-splitting Arcane Oozes = Easy to hit with Slaying Ammo.

I don't know how readily available Slaying arrows and bolts are for most people because I'm the only ranged main character in my guild...so all slaying ammo (arrows and bolts) end up with my characters...I have about 4 inventory or bank slots of it (spread across 2 characters).

But if you don't have people giving you the ammo, it may be available on the Auction House.

I know I put stuff like that on the AH all the time and it is one the few types of things almost guarenteed to sell unless you are stupid with your pricing. Slaying and Greater bane go fast. Even bane sell pretty well.

Emili
03-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Heck yeah. Love my dual Heavy Picks (with Bloodstone). Hold Monster - Hit,Hit - Dead. It's pretty much InstaKill for Enchanters. You bet my Green Steel weapons will be Khopeshes...oh yes...

No the point is straight forward... any caster can make due of the situation via spell or even an alternative... my caster does not melee well, nor do i expect her to melee well under any situation, I do have the tools to do so though. Gianthold tor for instance FTS a giant pull out a dreamsplitter or puncturing weapon and go to town. My wizard for instance sits at str 16 dex 24 con 20 int 32 wis 18 cha 14 - while not the best stats for melee or ranged I can very well pull out a returning thrower or bow in even a level appropriate quest and do something with it, in fact i carry a para bow and a puncturing bow on her because they're so available... and I do pull them out from time to time... along with a DP clicky she does fine when I'm holding back a little mana rather then blasting the heck out of everything. Manage your resources ... there's always a way.

The OP may not agree but the arcane casting class is one of the more versitile and efficiently flexible classes in the game... mostly thru spell but there is nothing preventing you from mixing spell and other things to help it along.

The thread title is not appropriate... there is noone not letting him solo von 2, there is no reason why he cannot solo von 2, I've done so with level approriate characters of many classes... The thread should be titled "Why did you make the arcane slime in Von 2 mandatory?" ... or "I was so used to hopping past them and ignoring them", or "I suggest you remove them and just place all the items by the fountain so I can give them to her there because I refuse to take any time to play the quest." or "Remove von 2 from the game please."

Now then... I do not mean to be condescending about it. Fact is, I would be happier with the Von's and DQ being more like the other raids in the game - at least they'd all be consistant.

stockwizard5
03-27-2008, 02:04 PM
Yeah, how dare they not give us the basis of crafting, a new exlorable area, the Twelve or a new outpost. I mean really, only 5 new quest and a raid is silly since they didn't add any of those things. :D

They specifically told us they would do bigger updates less often - in looking at the timeframes and content in Mods 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 I don't see how you can justify that comment.

Posts like this make me wonder how the game didn't open with 4 quests and waterworks given all the "new stuff" they had to do?

Gadget2775
03-27-2008, 06:06 PM
They specifically told us they would do bigger updates less often - in looking at the timeframes and content in Mods 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 I don't see how you can justify that comment.

I'm guessing that's because you aren't seeing the amount of time required to create an Explorer zone the size of the Vale and a brand new crafting system.

Posts like this make me wonder how the game didn't open with 4 quests and waterworks given all the "new stuff" they had to do?

How long do you think the game was in development before they went Beta with it? 3 months? 6 months? Less? More? Comparing the content at release with what they put out in 3-5 month update cycles, it just doesn't compare.

WeaselKing
03-27-2008, 06:09 PM

It was an unintended consequence of fixing a stuck spot.

arcsonist
03-27-2008, 06:16 PM
Try to use chill touch on those bad boys it tears them right up. I have that on my sorc eats um up

Glenalth
03-27-2008, 06:24 PM

I am sorry that yoru Sorcerer can not defeat some ooze. It may be time to reroll.

Draiden
03-27-2008, 11:46 PM

I still want to stick an arcane slime in a jar and call it a lava lamp. :) Wonder what sort of soul stone they'd create.

LOL! Nice! Get a pink one and a green one and let them 'ooze' around eachother in the glass...

juniorpfactors
03-28-2008, 12:06 PM

my 24 str soc :)

but of course i would just disintegrate

Naso24
04-02-2008, 03:42 AM
try disintegrate.