PDA

View Full Version : rogue/fighter build question

Newtons_Apple
03-19-2008, 11:00 PM
Hey all:
I wanted to know what people thought of a human rogue fighter heavy repeater build.

Beginning stats would be for a typical rogue build- 8 str, 18 dex, 13 con, 14 intel, 9 wis, and 12 cha for umd.

The feat progression would be:

Lvl 1- fighter- 3 feats taken are: Exotic weapon pro Heavy repeating xbow, point blank shot, rapid shot

Lvl 2- rogue for sneak attack

Lvl 3- fighter- 2 feats taken are: Rapid Reload, weapon specialization: heavy repeating crossbow

After that, i'll take all rogue and therefore will have evasion at lvl 4. Also, beyond the feats I've just listed, I'm not sure what the progression ought to be up to lvl 16- should I include more fighter levels? Or would straight rogue work? Let me know what people think.

mutantbee
03-20-2008, 12:23 AM
The first most important thing to mention, regardless of actual viability:

ALWAYS take rogue at first level if you have any interest in being a rogue. If not, you lose out on about 40 skill points and you will never catch up. Take fighter at second, it only takes an hour or less to level anyway. I think you can still take the other 2 feeats at first level even with a BAB of 0.

Just my 2 cents....

Newtons_Apple
03-20-2008, 05:06 AM
Yeah that's true- I looked at a quick build last night and the skill points would have been wasted. I was using the PHB's ruse-set for feat requirement and figured I HAD to have that +1 BAB for Exotic WEp Pro, but perhaps the rules are different in this case.

Aesop
03-20-2008, 05:53 AM
you can always take Exotic Wpn Prof at 2 with the Fighter Bonus Feat

and you need Fighter level 4 to take Weapon Specialization... so you probably meant Weapon Focus... which is in this case Weapon Focus: Ranged

Aesop

Newtons_Apple
03-20-2008, 03:57 PM
You're right Aesop, I did mean weapon focus.

gametap
03-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Exotic Feats require +1 BaB just like the PnP, but like what was said it can be taken second level without problems.

tman
04-04-2008, 07:33 AM
I have been working on a repeater build. Went 1 lvl Rogue, 11 lvl's Ranger and 4 lvls Fighter.

1 lvl Rogue for skills and rogue abilities
11 lvls Ranger for Precise Shot, Imp Precise Shot and all the extra abilities
4 lvls of Fighter for the Xtra Feats

Of course there are many, many ways to build one. :)

sigtrent
04-07-2008, 03:49 PM
Sneak attack does not work especialy well with ranged weapons. You have to be very close to the target and you often end up pulling agro and loosing sneak attack or the target moves out of your firing arc. At least that is my expereince. My rogue is set up to use bows fairly well but I generaly only use them at distances where sneak attack just doesn't come into play. Up close melee is just all around better.