PDA

View Full Version : DDO is under-rated

KidD34TH
03-07-2008, 07:24 PM
I just started playing recently and wow, I'm just amazed entirely by this game. I absolutely love it. I've played Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, and all sorts of other fantasy MMOs (including the free ones) and none of them has took hold of me so strongly as DDO has. Everquest 2 out of all the other MMOs was my favorite, but DDO is surely dominating it to an extent.

I'm not sure on all the rules here on the forum, I didn't bother to read them. I just had to let the DDO community know that I love this game. It was a bit difficult to figure out at first, some of the interface isn't too user friendly - but once I got the hang of it, I was zoomin around completing quests slaying anything from thieves to kobols, slime, spiders, and more.

Though I have a few questions,

Does my character cross between all worlds (servers, shards) or is it permanent on just the one I play on?
If it is playable in all worlds, what world is the most populated? I play on Sarlona, it seems pretty well populated. Though, I'd like to get into a newbie world so I can play with people around my level. (Level 2, Rank 6) <- I'm actually proud of that now, tehe.
I still find it difficult hunting down where my quest locations are, what are your suggestions to finding these places more easily? I've gotten used to using the map and hovering my mouse over the quest icons to find the proper area quest location area, but I know there has to be an easier way. Of course, I read the Quest Log to know where I need to be, what I'm doing, and why - etc. It tells me where I need to go, but it's not like I know where I'm going - y'know?

Litz
03-07-2008, 07:27 PM
Kissing up don't get you better loot we've all tried..;)

captain1z
03-07-2008, 07:30 PM
I just started playing recently and wow, I'm just amazed entirely by this game. I absolutely love it. I've played Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, and all sorts of other fantasy MMOs (including the free ones) and none of them has took hold of me so strongly as DDO has.

Thats because the Haste really uses crack as a spell component.

Naturelaughslast
03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
As far as servers go you can have characters on each of the servers but they do not cross over in name or location. Once you have played the game for a while you will learn where everything is and if you are lost just ask and usually someone in group with help you out. Think of the lower levels as an introduction to the game as when you start getting to the higher ones it opens up much more.

SilverSong
03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
I just started playing recently and wow, I'm just amazed entirely by this game. I absolutely love it. I've played Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, and all sorts of other fantasy MMOs (including the free ones) and none of them has took hold of me so strongly as DDO has. Everquest 2 out of all the other MMOs was my favorite, but DDO is surely dominating it to an extent.

I'm not sure on all the rules here on the forum, I didn't bother to read them. I just had to let the DDO community know that I love this game. It was a bit difficult to figure out at first, some of the interface isn't too user friendly - but once I got the hang of it, I was zoomin around completing quests slaying anything from thieves to kobols, slime, spiders, and more.

Does my character cross between all worlds (servers, shards) or is it permanent on just the one I play on?
If it is playable in all worlds, what world is the most populated? I play on Sarlona, it seems pretty well populated. Though, I'd like to get into a newbie world so I can play with people around my level. (Level 2, Rank 6) <- I'm actually proud of that now, tehe.
I still find it difficult hunting down where my quest locations are, what are your suggestions to finding these places more easily? I've gotten used to using the map and hovering my mouse over the quest icons to find the proper area quest location area, but I know there has to be an easier way. Of course, I read the Quest Log to know where I need to be, what I'm doing, and why - etc. It tells me where I need to go, but it's not like I know where I'm going - y'know?

All severs are pretty well populated. You should find lots of lowbies leveling up right now, because the extra incress for exp. Though alot of us leveling lowbies are in a hurry so make sure you speak up and let your group know your new and want to enjoy the quest and not just rush head long into it.

You can tranfer your charater but it comes with a fee, but you can start charaters on all the severs if you wish. You can open up 9 charaters per sever depending on your favor.

Quests in your level are given out in the Harbor. There are 2 taverns and a few that are scattered outside. While in the taverns it helps to pick up all the quests in them.

The fun has just started for you. :)

Dane_McArdy
03-07-2008, 07:39 PM

Works for me. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=1604481#post1604481)

Eelpout
03-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Works for me. (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=1604481#post1604481)

File that under the "Shameless Plug" tab!! :D

captain1z
03-07-2008, 07:44 PM

- Your character is unique to the server you create him/her on.
- all the servers are great from what I can tell Ive played on Ghallanda, khyber and Argonessan. While each was fun:

Ghallanda - has a medium sized population and very freindly players mostly active between 4pm - 10pm eastern
Khyber - has lots of overseas players (english and Australian, New Zealand) I have never met a more polite set of people, it seems they are active 12am - 5am eastern (just my observation)
Argonessan - has a very large population and is always pretty active. I found it a bit difficult to get started there when you didnt know anyone or the game very well.

havent been on any others as of yet ............ find a time slot that works for you, thats the best way to go I think.

Brummbar
03-07-2008, 07:53 PM
.. is to create a toon or two on all Servers.

Make one server perhaps your Fighters, one server your Arcane Casters, and so forth...

When you find a niche you like, a group or guild you like on a particular server go hog wild on that server, but in the meantime, if you create lotsa low level toons on many servers, you'll always have the ability to find a low levels group on any given server at any given time. No doubt on that. It open up your play time, verse waiting to do a quest when there are no groups on in your level.

Also, you'll get to experience the way other classes play and how to work in your class to help other better.

I find levels 1-3 some of the most fun for untwinked ( means not giving them really great gear to early) new toons. Make it seem like you've earned it when your end reward is that nice shiny +1 Great Sword, when you had been using the Cermonial Blade or a MasterWork verison.

DDO has hooked me also like no other.

Just keep it fresh. You may burn out from time to time. Just take a few months off, then come back. I've done that once.

Nixxmaster
03-07-2008, 08:02 PM

Welcome to DDO!

parvo
03-08-2008, 12:59 AM

There's a good reason it's underated. It's only recently been ready for launch. Most folks formed their opinions when the game was launched and it just wasn't ready. I think Turbine missed a big opportunity but maybe they just ran out of development dollars. In any case, DDO has gotten lots better in it's 2+ years.

GlassCannon
03-08-2008, 01:20 AM
There's a good reason it's underated. It's only recently been ready for launch. Most folks formed their opinions when the game was launched and it just wasn't ready. I think Turbine missed a big opportunity but maybe they just ran out of development dollars. In any case, DDO has gotten lots better in it's 2+ years.

There are still some major tweaks that could be made to better the game, but for the most part this statement is accurate.

Strykersz
03-08-2008, 04:23 AM
I'm actually a little shocked that no other mmo has shamelessly ripped off the twitch-lite combat system of ddo. It's probably because the game itself wasn't a huge success, but other people I play with who've experienced the combat in other, more popular mmo's find them a bit boring in comparison. Maybe I just haven't waited long enough and AoC will successfully rip it off when it enters pay for beta in May.

Arianrhod
03-08-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm actually a little shocked that no other mmo has shamelessly ripped off the twitch-lite combat system of ddo. It's probably because the game itself wasn't a huge success, but other people I play with who've experienced the combat in other, more popular mmo's find them a bit boring in comparison. Maybe I just haven't waited long enough and AoC will successfully rip it off when it enters pay for beta in May.

Might be partly because the thought has been that that "active combat" system wouldn't work in wide open worlds like traditional MMOs. It's twitch + instances, or cycle-through the buttons & wide open. At least, that was given as a reason for why the DDO combat system wasn't used in LOTRO. Maybe this week's event will make a good testing ground for whether the "active combat" system can work in a large area with large numbers of people. If so, more future MMOs might give it a try.

dillonsai150
03-08-2008, 09:54 AM

LOL..:D This is oh so true, but in toe words of my dear old son "Ahhh mann, But dad." :D

Horrorscope
03-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Might be partly because the thought has been that that "active combat" system wouldn't work in wide open worlds like traditional MMOs. It's twitch + instances, or cycle-through the buttons & wide open. At least, that was given as a reason for why the DDO combat system wasn't used in LOTRO. Maybe this week's event will make a good testing ground for whether the "active combat" system can work in a large area with large numbers of people. If so, more future MMOs might give it a try.

Chronicles of Spellborn looks to be "active combat" to. But to the OP, I could have written that myself. IMO the only hurdle this game has is getting an understanding of the user-interface and some of the comlplex/worthless feats/skills of DnD. Once that comes into focus and I fear many people don't get past that, I just love the rest. I like instances and a game with an abundance of wandering in the open is "eh" to me. In WoW you get like one instance in the first 15 levels of play? The rest is kill X of X, borrrring!!! But word of mouth of those that think they like that **** really hurt this game (GW's gets the same abuse, devs must not listen it's natual when you have one thing you thnk you want the other) and as the old-timers say "it was released early".

In the end I want multiplayer gaming, having everyone in one place or 5 of us in an instance is no matter. I just want to be able to team up with a group and play the most unique quests possible and with that instances so far has been the best mankind has been able to deliver. AoC imo has to live up to that, the news is a bit thin coming from that camp, but I am very interested in the overall percentages of Instances to roams. I do love some of AoC's ideas for instances and PvP, but I despise X of X, we shall see.

The instances of DDO keeps with the original DnD theme, of how the PnP worked and with buying the adventure modules. The grouping part of the game works well and the overall class of the players has been remarkable and the voice chat works very well. Yes a crafting system would be a nice diversion, yes I could dream up a better skill system overall the PnP DnD on a computer, perhaps DnD v4.0 is the answer someday. But putting it all together this game is right up there with the best I've ever played for the online genre. The only problem is those listening to what others think without really trying it for themselves.

Cyan_Kendragon
03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
i have to say, i play two MMOs.
EVE Online (no instances, reasonably twitchy, as long as it's not fleet battles)
and
DDO (all instances, very twitch)

i play them for different reason, and while i feel that the instancing of DDO is awesome i don't think it'd hurt, provided the test (that happened? is happening? i don't have time to log in and check, i'm actually on lunch from work right now) of seeing what happens when DDO's very twitchy combat system is mixed into a larger group of people succeeds well, to introduce "public" areas with that "kill X of Y" sort of mentality. sure, being able to wander into the ruins of gianthold, or the ruins of threnal, or ataraxia's haven by myself is neat, but sometimes i'd like to go wandering the wildernesses that surround stormreach, and maybe run across another adventurer while i'm out there...maybe strike up a friendship and go for an adventure on the spur of the moment. Or maybe i'm runnign for my life from a Storm Giant i've accidentally agro'd while i'm doing whatever i'm doing and a friendly other player saves my bacon?

the point is, i like the instancing of dungeons (it allows for even more... detail? intricacy?), i don't think that instancing the overworld is exactly the best way to do it. not that i complain about how it is now, but... sometimes it makes the world feel kind of empty when i go to somewhere that's supposed to be "outside" the city and there's no one there, but me and the people i bring with me.

that said, welcome to DDO (i've been playing since beta. though i took a break right before Module 1, ran out of stuff to do) and i hope you enjoy it.

Skyan Kendragon : Argonessen 7rog/3wiz/2fgt

arcane_nite
03-08-2008, 08:28 PM
File that under the "Shameless Plug" tab!! :D

Common, everyone knows Dane redefined shameless along time ago. lol

Icehound
03-08-2008, 08:50 PM
I just started playing recently and wow, I'm just amazed entirely by this game. I absolutely love it. I've played Everquest 2, World of Warcraft, and all sorts of other fantasy MMOs (including the free ones) and none of them has took hold of me so strongly as DDO has.

You're not joking. I've played nearly every MMORPG that's ever come out, and DDO is by far the best of them all. It's coded so well that the other games don't compare at all. I can't shake a feeling that the game never had enough advertising. There'd probably be more players if they did advertise a little more, even 2 years into it. Another thing they should add though, which is a major point in WoW, is PvP. They should make it so you can flag yourself PvP or not, and allow you to change your flag at will inside taverns so you don't get forced into a situation when you don't feel like it. It's easy to impliment, and all you have to do is ignore whiners who say they're going to quit the game and blah blah blah and you completely avoid a Star Wars Galaxies situation. PvP would be extra content, and if they don't like it they can turn it off.

Ichound

Ducky
03-08-2008, 09:07 PM
Seriously making the claim that this is one of the best mmos?
All it comes down to is asking yourself "Would I be playing this if it didn't have the DnD name."

It's a great concept game but really killed itself with bad implementation.
Had there been better dungeon lighting concepts, variances between instance attempts or even ***ANYTHING*** to do between dungeons, I could have seen it as a big success.

I remember when they game first came out, I thought it would be my WoW killer but ended up leaving for 20 months just a month after I bought it.
The ability to memorize a dungeon in one complete run, the dumbed down version of pve content so any group of anything could complete a run and the literal lack of absolutely no "time filler" just doesn't appeal to people.

Things like WoW don't own 50% of the mmo marketshare because it's easy, but because it has multiple things to do at any given moment.

Icehound
03-11-2008, 11:05 PM
All it comes down to is asking yourself "Would I be playing this if it didn't have the DnD name."

Had there been better dungeon lighting concepts, variances between instance attempts or even ***ANYTHING*** to do between dungeons, I could have seen it as a big success.

I remember when they game first came out, I thought it would be my WoW killer but ended up leaving for 20 months just a month after I bought it.
The ability to memorize a dungeon in one complete run, the dumbed down version of pve content so any group of anything could complete a run and the literal lack of absolutely no "time filler" just doesn't appeal to people.

Things like WoW don't own 50&#37; of the mmo marketshare because it's easy, but because it has multiple things to do at any given moment.

Who is stupid enough to play a video game because of the name? You must be joking... That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. I was saying that this was the best MMOORPG I've ever played because it's well made. It has nothing to do with the name, and I don't appreciate you playing the game for 1 month, then leaving for 20 months and suddenly coming back telling us that this game has poor implementation. Get off this forum.

Gum
03-11-2008, 11:54 PM

Welcome to DDO Kid!! It's excellent to see your enthusiasm, and like the others have stated, the fun has just begun my friend! ;)

Uska
03-12-2008, 12:15 AM

Things like WoW don't own 50% of the mmo marketshare because it's easy, but because it has multiple things to do at any given moment.

You have to be kidding wow is go kill this many of this or that many of that until you max then its raid 8-12 hours a day please wow is popular because people have no imagination or brains. I have played most every game out there and the only one that came close to be as fun for me was pre-nge pre group nerf swg. Yes I would play this if it wasnt dnd even though I love dnd this game promotes grouping for the most part and thats why I play a mmo, WoW for the most part doesnt promote grouping except for raids

TheGreatEye
03-12-2008, 01:20 AM
I love DDO, dont get me wrong. But I have to say I miss the sandbox feel of other MMO's. This is of course subjective, but I liked player housing and having other element that made me feel more closely tied to the world my character was inhabiting. While no other MMO does combat gameplay even close to DDO quality, I look forward to a future with all of these elements in one game.

Hvymetal
03-12-2008, 04:48 AM

I am sorry WoW's idea of "content" doesn't appeal to me. I couldn't get past 3 weeks in WoW, it was exactly like EQ was only with cartoon graphics and a more ******** player base......I loved EQ 1 when it first was out played it for years, however I couldn;t stomach it's dumed down ******** inbred child :D