PDA

View Full Version : DDO Crafting Helper Page

TKnor
03-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Along with all the other crafting helper applications and Microsoft Excel and Google spreadsheets, I've created a web version of a crafting assistant.

You can enter the quantities of ingredients/components you have and they'll be saved to a cookie. It's also got images to kinda-sorta help you identify components easier (maybe).

So now you can craft when you should be working or even from Starbucks!

DDO Crafting Helper page (http://www.randojones.com/Miscellany/DDOCrafting.aspx)

I'd appreciate any feedback you might have. You can find the feedback address on the Miscellany page of the site.

So, uhm, enjoy!

Update 20080320:
For those of you possibly coming here from a google search of the terms "ddo" and "crafting" here is a list of consolidated link to useful DDO crafting information - in particular, Cambo's thread "Stone of Change - Eldritch Rituals Cookbook (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=132855)" as it contains not only a ton of information, but also links to other DDO and DDO Crafting resources:
Cambo's Stone of Change - Eldritch Rituals Cookbook (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=132855) thread (forums.ddo.com)
DDO Wiki's Crafting Articles (http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/Crafting) (ddo.enterwiki.net)
Inkblack's Google Spreadsheet of Green Steel and Shroud recipes (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pLaIqDL_IzJRx5CcCEpCaYg) (spreadsheets.google.com)
The DDO Crafting Helper Page (http://www.randojones.com/miscellany/ddocrafting.aspx) (www.randojones.com (http://www.randojones.com) {I tried to un-link randojones.com, but the forum demands it to be a link..})

Vizzini
03-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Very nice - UI Friendly system (well done - thanks for the effort)

TKnor
03-11-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks for visitin', Vizzini! I'm glad you find it useful.

I'm surprised there's not been more discussion in this thread. I must have hit it dead-perfect the first run and no one has any suggestions or it's complete junk and nobody wants to break CoC rules by telling me how horrible it is. :D

Borror0
03-11-2008, 10:20 PM
...or it's complete junk and nobody wants to break CoC rules by telling me how horrible it is. :D

:rolleyes:

Seriously, really nice. Unil I get the pop up fixed on the wiki, this is really the best way to get a quick view of what you need to make such and such recipe. Really nice tool.:)

TKnor
03-11-2008, 11:22 PM
What pop-up?

RTN
03-12-2008, 12:22 AM
I don't suppose there is a way we could do this for multiple characters? I have ingredients spread out across multiple characters and it might be useful to be able to have separate sheets for each character.

Borror0
03-12-2008, 12:42 AM
What pop-up?

That's actually the problem. They are currently not in use. but they'd look like that (http://ddo.enterwiki.net/page/User:Borror0/CSS_problem) (hover over the fourth raise dead if you're on IE, otherwise any is fine), but they become hell of a mess in Internet Explorer (just over anything to notice it). They look great in Firefox though...

TKnor
03-12-2008, 02:59 PM
I don't suppose there is a way we could do this for multiple characters? I have ingredients spread out across multiple characters and it might be useful to be able to have separate sheets for each character.

I could do that. I'll have to look into the best way to do that if we want to keep the anonymity of the form. That is, if I don't want to force people to create a username/password to access their stored information.

jjflanigan
03-12-2008, 03:21 PM
I could do that. I'll have to look into the best way to do that if we want to keep the anonymity of the form. That is, if I don't want to force people to create a username/password to access their stored information.

The method I normally employed for something like this is to allow / require the end user to enter in a username / tag to apply to the cookies. Prompt them for this before starting and then you prepend the cookie name with it for loading / saving the cookie data.

I.e. javascript prompt (or whatever) for a username / tag and they enter "Jimmy" the cookie saved during that session (and loaded for the session if it exists) would have "Jimmy_" in front of all the cookie names. This allows you to have multiple "sessions" maintained in the cookie state without requiring actual login or saving anything on the server side.

TKnor
03-12-2008, 04:54 PM
Exactly.

I recently changed the cookie to be persistent for a month and it's a per-user cookie as each operating system user has their own browser profile.

What we'll run into with anonymous cookie dealings would be if Jimmy and Susie both use the same OS login and therefore, would share the cookie on the system (unless we ask for a username or somethin' prior to reaching the page, etc, like you mentioned).

Velorn
03-12-2008, 05:06 PM
Very nice little program. Helped me plan out a numbers of weapons and items for each of my high level characters. It also allowed me to put in the upgrades to my already existing weapons and items so I know what's left to get. Bravo.:D:D

Premier
03-12-2008, 05:24 PM
Can you make it so the ingredients I need auto-populate into my character account?

Just kidding! It's a great tool; thank you for putting this together! Peace!

-Premier

TKnor
03-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Workin' on a new and improved version of the sheet that will also have more detail about the effects.

It'll also have the Aspect/Aspect II enchantments in it.

That's how it goes - make a program, then you just gotta add the fluff.

Good thing I already did the hard part of figuring out how to display "still needed" ingredients for items with "one-of" recipes. :)

Krondox
03-17-2008, 11:00 AM
Tag

Great page i love it

leon00000
03-18-2008, 02:59 PM
how do i know what to put on weapons and what to put on items.

TKnor
03-19-2008, 02:04 PM
how do i know what to put on weapons and what to put on items.

When you select what item you want to make in step 2, the selections of steps 3, 4, and 5 will automatically fill with enchantments related to your selection.

That is, if you select a +5 Green Steel Longsword in step 2, steps 3, 4, and 5 will only show you enchantments related to weapons. If you select the Green Steel Goggles in step 2, you'll only see enchantments related to accessories for steps 3, 4, and 5.

TKnor
03-19-2008, 02:08 PM
Just so you fellows know: data entry is a pain in the face.

The revisions to the DDO Crafting Helper page will be great, I promise.

When I get all this data entry done, that is. :)

leon00000
03-20-2008, 08:27 AM
When you select what item you want to make in step 2, the selections of steps 3, 4, and 5 will automatically fill with enchantments related to your selection.

That is, if you select a +5 Green Steel Longsword in step 2, steps 3, 4, and 5 will only show you enchantments related to weapons. If you select the Green Steel Goggles in step 2, you'll only see enchantments related to accessories for steps 3, 4, and 5.

NICE!! I seen that last night. From my guild "We thank you for all the effort"

TKnor
03-20-2008, 08:34 AM
NICE!! I seen that last night. From my guild "We thank you for all the effort"

Quite welcome! I'm glad I could put my job skills to use relating to something other than "job".

TKnor
03-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I noticed that (for now) this thread is the #1 organically ranked page on google for the search terms "ddo" and "crafting". Since there wasn't anything really useful here other than the DDO Crafting Helper page you all already know about, I added additional links to other DDO Crafting resources here at forums.ddo.com along with off-site links.

Additionally, does anyone have any suggestions for the DDO Crafting helper page? I'm currently working on a "tabbed" version to shorten the height of the overall content and am thinking about the best method for allowing the save multi-character data. I could do it with a cookie, but the cookie would probably be the biggest HTTP cookie ever created - though it would allow anonymous record keeping for your characters and ingredients. Or I could make a simple login system and store everything in a database.

Suggestions for these or other must-have features I've left out?

I'm still surprised I've not received more feedback on the page - I'm thinkin' I must've hit dead-on with first release functionality - silent majority and all that.

Thanks for your support! I look forward to any suggestions you may have! :D

leon00000
03-20-2008, 08:48 AM
I noticed that (for now) this thread is the #1 organically ranked page on google for the search terms "ddo" and "crafting". Since there wasn't anything really useful here other than the DDO Crafting Helper page you all already know about, I added additional links to other DDO Crafting resources here at forums.ddo.com along with off-site links.

Additionally, does anyone have any suggestions for the DDO Crafting helper page? I'm currently working on a "tabbed" version to shorten the height of the overall content and am thinking about the best method for allowing the save multi-character data. I could do it with a cookie, but the cookie would probably be the biggest HTTP cookie ever created - though it would allow anonymous record keeping for your characters and ingredients. Or I could make a simple login system and store everything in a database.

Suggestions for these or other must-have features I've left out?

I'm still surprised I've not received more feedback on the page - I'm thinkin' I must've hit dead-on with first release functionality - silent majority and all that.

Thanks for your support! I look forward to any suggestions you may have! :D

No feed back needed. Hell its one stop shopping. I have not been into crafting until i seen the page. DDO should pay you.[/I]

TKnor
03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
OK, folks - here's the deal on "version 2" of the DDO Crafting Helper page:

The version you're currently using uses XML for data storage. I started revising everything for version 2, but the XML has gotten "out of control".

Well, not so much "control" as "got tired of data entry". It's all relational and cross-reference and everything and when trying to build your "database" by hand, well... I just don't want to spend more time typing everything in.

Therefore! - I'm switching everything to an actual database back-end that'll be much easier to maintain once everything is in place.

I hope to have it done before the DDO Crafting Helper page becomes disused due to lack of the bonus enchantments and super-shard creation being not implemented. If about 175 people are visiting it a day, it must still be useful even without those features.

I'll do my best to have it done as soon as I can (even though I've been working on the revision for a week, now). :)

Thanks for all your patience!

TKnor
03-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Dear Most Supportive Fellows:

It is with great regret that I must announce the removal of the enchantment "Constitutional Skills - Exceptional Bonus +3" from the list of available enchantments. This was an enchantment you could imbue on your items at the Altar of Devastation; it has been replaced with "Constitution Skills - Exceptional Bonus +3".

My apologies for all you adventurers who were planning on adding this enchantment to your green steel items to better your governmental document deciphering skills.

It will not be available in the revision of the DDO Crafting Helper page.

I apologize for the incovenience.

-T'K

P.S.: I caught this misspelling in the XML data I'm transferring into SQL for the revision. :D

TKnor
03-26-2008, 10:02 AM
The new data entry is almost done. I'm just finishing up putting in the Aspect enchantments (i.e.: spells {except Balance of Land and Sky, Tempered, and Existential Stalemate}) and Aspect II enchantments (the ones everyone's hungering for :D ).

Next is to get it all fitting together.

Pittminion
03-26-2008, 11:34 AM
Wow thanks.

TKnor
03-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Wholly data-entry cramps, Matban!

If you ever have wonder about how complex an MMO is, the data tables for just the crafting aspect of DDO (from my re-creation) make up approximately twelve tables. All of which are related to at least one other table and the largest has 700+ rows that relate to two other tables.

On to them objects!

I hope I can get this all done before it becomes a novelty toy.

munrolc
03-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Wholly data-entry cramps, Matban!

If you ever have wonder about how complex an MMO is, the data tables for just the crafting aspect of DDO (from my re-creation) make up approximately twelve tables. All of which are related to at least one other table and the largest has 700+ rows that relate to two other tables.

On to them objects!

I hope I can get this all done before it becomes a novelty toy.

For the casual player who doesn't have time to waste on something so poorly designed and cumbersome, this crafting deal is a joke. Can't stand it. Total waste of time. Can't believe it was developed. It also creates a feeling of separation within the game.

jjflanigan
03-28-2008, 05:12 PM
For the casual player who doesn't have time to waste on something so poorly designed and cumbersome, this crafting deal is a joke. Can't stand it. Total waste of time. Can't believe it was developed. It also creates a feeling of separation within the game.

Geeze. Get out of the bitter barn and play in the hay. This is a great tool, try not to clutter the thread with negativity.

Fartzalot
03-28-2008, 06:58 PM
I would like to see choosing the final effects of the big upgrade as a possibility then work backwards to item.

I am a total newb to crafting and final effects have a big influence in what you craft, I am scared to upgrade beyond tier1 as I don't know If I'll screw up my desired item.

Also my cookie resets everytime, which is annoying having to re-enter ingredients. If I leave the page open they stay but then I manually have to change when I craft an ingredient, can we get a "craft" button so we can auto adjust inventory when we craft ingredients?

[Edit]

I am also wondering about multiple item creation for a toon, can we have multiple items running at a time in the planner so we can see if we can combine the bonuses from different lines onto items to get the end bonus we desire. While we have the full line of base bonuses.

For instance I have made greensteel gloves for my cleric now I wanted originally to have oodles of mana so I am going wiz VI, +50, +100 but at each level I have two ways I can go. Earth or water How do I know which is best to take at which level? Also maybe I should have goggles and bracers going at same time so I can get wiz VI, +50, +100 on seperate items so I can add in other bonuses and get "better" aspect bonuses.

I think thats what I mean. I am a newb ;-P

[Edit2]

I'd apreciate the tabbed version and the biggest cookie ever as well, as I am lazy and don't want to login. Maybe if you dont want to be responsible for the world record cookie, a database based on mac address?

TKnor
04-08-2008, 12:47 AM
I promise I've not stopped working on the revision.

Still have to go to work to pay the bills and all that and I recently translated the DDO Crafting Helper page into Japanese for the DDO Japan players (they're not on Mod 6 yet, but they will be soon).

The improved revision is coming, I promise. The complexity of the crafting system and the ease of extensibility I'm building into it make for a long completion time.

Right now I'm able to retrieve individual objects from the database as planned and the next step is (still) tying all the pieces together.

I know the DDO Crafting Helper page doesn't have the snappy turn around/advancement pace that some of the other planners have, but it'll be so easy to extend when new recipes come out. I've even got the Stone of Change in the database for future additions. :D

Thank you for your patience and, please, don't give up on it yet!

-T'K

TKnor
04-16-2008, 02:27 AM
It won't do much except make you a cookie (maybe), but you can at least see how it works and how all the ingredients/components are arranged (and play with the nifty tabs!).

Because of the way the .NET AJAX tab control works, it'll pop back to the top of the page, so it makes it a little frustrating to use, for now.

Thank you for your continued support and repeated visits!

Semi-major parts out of the way, now it's on to finally tying the dozen business objects together. :D

Visit the DDO Crafting Helper Page (http://www.randojones.com/Miscellany/DDOCrafting.aspx) for a link to the "alpha" edition.

TKnor
04-23-2008, 01:56 AM
At last, my friends. At last I have something to give you after five weeks of work and two weeks of talking to myself in this thread.

The "beta" version of version 2 of the DDO Crafting Helper page has been posted.

The functionality is essentially the same and right now you can even create an ingredient cookie and use the page just like you are using the old page.

So please, pay it a visit (http://www.randojones.com/DDOCrafting/) and tell me what you think! If you encounter any problems, please report them here (if Turbine'll allow that, that is).

TopazScorpion
04-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Nice improvements. Have to do a lot of scrolling around on the laptop though. Lot of stuff on the page. I use my laptop for this site and play the game on my game pc right next to it.
Question: After I select my green steel item and enhancements, how do I get back to the ingredients entry page to add more to my inventory. The Altars tabs no longer show entry boxes.

Thx for all your hard work.

TKnor
04-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Well, it's still in the beta phase, so if they don't repopulate correctly, it's likely a bug.

I believe the revision I've got now in development is working correctly. It has some partially implemented features, though, so it still won't work completely as expected.

Weekend's comin' so that means more time to devote to workin' on it.

I'll see if I can reproduce the bug and fix it if it hasn't already disappeared.

TKnor
05-03-2008, 07:24 PM
The new version of the DDO Crafting Helper page has been up for a while.

I recently went through all the recipes to check for accuracy and they should all be correct.

You can start using the new version (http://www.randojones.com/DDOCrafting/CraftingHelper.aspx) in place of the old one.

I'm working now on making sure all the imbuement-to-enchantment mappings are correct.

The reports for what enchantments are associated with the imbuements you select may be inaccurate or blank in rare cases, but the ingredient/component recipes it reports are correct. The dropdown list contents are correct, so regardless of what the Aspect/AspectII reports say, you are getting accurate recipe information.

I think the lack of Dual shard support of the first version has finally caught up with it as I've seen a reduction in visits to this page in the last 5 days. Hopefully having this support now will satisfy visitors. :)

It's still a work in progress, but its core functions (user ingredient counts and recipe readouts are accurate).

I'll set the old page to redirect to the new one as well.

Visit the new DDO Crafting Helper Page (http://www.randojones.com/DDOCrafting/CraftingHelper.aspx).

TKnor
06-04-2008, 03:48 PM
The DDO Crafting Helper page (http://www.randojones.com/DDOCrafting/CraftingHelper.aspx) has been updated with the new Module 7 recipes. The information was taken from Inkblack's spreadsheet and most of those recipes are unconfirmed presently.

I've not been able to double check my data entry as thoroughly as I wanted due to being at work. I'll double-check them when I get home provided my Intarwebs is working when I get there.

Edit: You'll notice that the horn ingredients are listed under 'Energy Cells' - this is due to the break in consistency for the new recipes where the energy cell is replaced with a horn. Why these recipes were decided this way I have no idea as it breaks consistency with all the other recipes already standing. If I move them to the 'Ingredients' list, the application will break since there's no "energy cell" for all these recipes. I think I can get them to list under the 'Ingredients' list if I just set a special condition for them, but for now (until I get home today), they'll have to stay where they are.

uncensored
06-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Greetings,
I have used your page for some time and many others for a while now and have created my own version of a database that I use for reporting services. Right now I am using it locally but I can basically search for any available recipies by ingredients I have and/or also be able to figure out what is still missing in order to figure out what needs to be gathered in order to craft something. I have also added ingredient locations and types i.e. energy cell, shard, raw ingredient, crafted ingredient, etc. The hardest part of the whole concept was what to call vale indredients (Raw Materials), what to call crafted vale ingredients (Green Steel Ingredients), uncrafted shroud ingredients (Crafting Upgrade Raw Ingredients) and crafted shroud ingredients (Shroud Ingredients) and then how to tell which ingredients were for which Tier of crafting which I have figured out with a series of views, as well as how to show the double shard aspects. I won't say I have all the double shard effects done in the database as I was not sure as to what the outcome would be by reversing the order of the imbued power shard and imbued greater power shard for items and weapons and what the effects would be if they were reordered as no site was clear on that and I was planning on doing my own testing to figure this out and update my database with the effects which I am still willing to do.

I have also created many stored procedures that you could use to provide additional functionality of your website if you are interested at all, I have about 12 years of programming and database experience, and I am currently a DBA/Programmer but I just don't have the time with kids to develop a site and with my work so I can relate with you but I ahve a passion for DDO. I would also be willing to tackle the data entry aspects of this and also give some help with additional stored procedures that you might have or want as well as any user requests, I can also add things to my current database I have in a format you could use to make it so that we can use your front end also for what you currently have. I have many ideas on how we could add things as well for more user adaptability. My database also allows for expandibility as with mod 7 as you mentioned the whole energy cell thing was blown out of the water, and it can still change with later mods.

Anyway, I'm not too sure of the best way to contact you about it, or send you a zipped version of my database which is in sql server 2005 btw but if you can figure it out, I would be willing to send you what I have and let you look at it and make any change requests you have for the backend. I can also help you get those missing images of some of the ingredients if you'd like. I figured a collaboration of materials might end up with a better product but I'm not sure how you feel about it. I also considered xml but decided with the release of mod 7 and all the changes that xml would be a very time consuming way for me to put this concept together and a database was more practicle. Besides, I like writing stored procedures, I believe they are much more efficient for RAD. Anyway, if your interested, just post a comment here on how I should contact you and in the meantime I'll go to your program site and send you a little email to introduce myself if you have an email link there. look for me Mikem71.

Thanks and take care!
:)