PDA

View Full Version : Vision Issues and Font Size

Thanatos
03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Over the past year, I have been dealing with various symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis. Among them is Optic Neuritis, which has caused vision problems that cannot be corrected. It's not like the blurriness of nearsightedness, it's essentially like having blind spots sprinkled across your visual field, plus a general dimness similar to what you'd get if you turned down the contrast of your monitor about 50%.

I got a new monitor since the last time I played DDO, a larger one that I mounted on an armature so it can sit closer, and make things easier. Trouble is, it's a widescreen LCD monitor and only one resolution offered by the game works without major distortion. It's made the font in chat unbearably small, and there's apparently no way to scale it up. I have the screen space to spare for scaled up UI elements in general, if there is some hidden way to edit the scale independently of the resolution.

Please look into making the UI size customizable and more useable for people with visual impairments. The skinning options seem neat, but ultimately cosmetic and not useful.

Thanks.

MysticTheurge
03-06-2008, 08:31 AM
This would be a nice thing to see added.

Lorien_the_First_One
03-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Agreed, font sizing should always be an option.

You may already have tried this but... You might actually be better off if you use a "normal" resolution instead of widescreen and just don't run in full screen mode. It should give you a few more resolutions to choose from so hopefully you might find something that works that way.

Mad_Bombardier
03-06-2008, 12:15 PM
This would be a nice thing to see added.Agreed. Even a very basic Large Font toggle on/off option would be fantastic.

unionyes
03-06-2008, 01:00 PM
Agreed, font sizing should always be an option.

You may already have tried this but... You might actually be better off if you use a "normal" resolution instead of widescreen and just don't run in full screen mode. It should give you a few more resolutions to choose from so hopefully you might find something that works that way.

I run in normal instead of widescreen on my 52 inch plasma, mainly because it helps with the font size.

Thanatos
03-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I'll try the 4:3 ratio window mode again, but it didn't seem to help and I'm not sure how it would... wouldn't you just get the same number of pixels used per character, only on a smaller area of the screen?

Muppethero
03-06-2008, 02:42 PM
My kingdom for Fontsize incress. thats what I wished for with my cake.

ke7jzo2
03-06-2008, 05:11 PM
Thank the deities this is coming up as an issue! I am also vision impaired and cling tenaciously to continuing to play. This one part of my life could be so vastly improved by any changes in UI that give me better control of how I interact with the game. I do not begrudge other players the rich visual experience I understand exists here, but my play is so limited by trying to interpret such fine detail from my limited perspective. Can't we work together to make virtual reality more accessible?

Pork_Jerky
03-31-2008, 07:59 AM
Fight Blindness!! Add font controls to DDO! 8-)

~PJ

roadkill525
03-31-2008, 08:16 AM
my home computer don't support widescreen layouts, atleast not with out updating vidio drivers and that always caused me more problems then it fixed. but I've got it set up where I got black bars on the top and bottem or either side depending on the resalution I got it set on. it stops it from being distorted but ya sould try a lower rez is ya can figure out how I did it... I don't really remember how I got it set up that way

DNDJESS
03-31-2008, 05:04 PM
If you're like me and have your PC connected to your TV, make sure you're using the 'PC Input' connection, and not S-Video. The S-Video input only gave me 2 resolution options, and looked HORRIBLE!