PDA

View Full Version : Our Deepest Sympathies

Quarion
03-04-2008, 03:21 PM
Turbine would like to express our deepest sympathies to the friends and family of one of the original creators of Dungeons & Dragons™, Gary Gygax. We are deeply saddened at his passing today.

Gary was an enormous contributor to the gaming industry, shaping the realm of role playing entertainment as we know it. We will be forever grateful for his work and influence.

Gary will be sorely missed, but will always be remembered by the millions who live and play in his worlds.

PCNONSENSE
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the memories!

Gordo
03-04-2008, 03:23 PM
I will always remember my summers as a kid, taking my lawn mowing money to the local hobby store and buying modules for our PnP games in our basement. The Keep on the Borderlands was my first. D&D PnP is an amazing creation and Gary lives on in all of us who still play it and/or DDO.

Thank you Gary.

Hafeal
03-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Certainly "Gary's game" inspired my imagination as it did for so many. New modules, different dice, and the thrill of adventure - all shared with friends. It has given me a bond with many friends that I will always cherish.

Thank you, Gary.

Xyfiel
03-04-2008, 03:43 PM
Q, is Delera's the only place his voice over is heard? Time to remember him DDO style.

Cinwulf
03-04-2008, 03:45 PM
I never knew or met him personally, but he certainly was a part of my life. Thanks for everything you gave Gary, rest in peace.

eldervamp
03-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Greetings...

I never personally meet him, but his work and imagination changed my life. You will be missed.

Chris Molsbee

Beherit_Baphomar
03-04-2008, 03:51 PM
/salute.
/tips hat.

A guildie said "he didn't die, he just went on to Epic levels"

Kris_P._Letus
03-04-2008, 03:54 PM
i will be giving the legend a 21 die salute at my pnp game tomorrow night. may they all be 20's. :(

Groggg
03-04-2008, 03:57 PM
Never met Gygax myself however he will live on in every minute spent on this game and every time we set down in front of a PnP game. Thanks Gary... Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of the Gygax family!

sativathered
03-04-2008, 03:59 PM
thank you gary for opening many eyes into the world of role-playing. you will be missed, but you will live in the imaginations of many.

Runyant
03-04-2008, 04:00 PM
I just read the sad news on CNN's website: http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/03/04/obit.gygax.ap/index.html. I can't believe he is gone!! I never had the chance to meet him, but always thought I eventually would. Let's do a Delera's run for Gary Gygax! His creative work has moved me and captured my imagination since i was a child. Thank you Gary!

TFPAQ
03-04-2008, 04:00 PM
A very good friend of mine was an artist for TSR back when it was still based in Lake Geneva, WI and he frequently would tell stories of Gary and the crew. He worked on some of the early stuff and extensively up to including Ravenloft, and while he did continue to provide free-lance artwork when the company went west, he said that it wasn't the same.

Most people don't know that Gary continued to run PnP games even after the company took off, and Gary was suprised that my friend had never played DnD the whole time he was doing artwork for TSR. So on one of my friends monthly visits to TSR (he lived in northern Wisconsin) to review artwork and storylines, Gary coaxed him into playing with Gary and some of his friends.

So what class did Gary recommend to him (remember this is back before 3, Forgotten Realms, etc).... Rogue, yup. "Come on Bob, you'll love playing a Rogue, trust me...."

My friend said he never had such a combined experience of fun, laughs, and a thought provoking good time. When they finished Bob said that he had a greater appreciation of DnD. Gary's reply was that he had a greater appreciation of Bob...

He will be missed.....

So Delera's tonight, naked, muckbanes only, and you can throw in a water breathing bubblehead if you want.

See you on Khyber....

RogueDM
03-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Go with the grace of the gods, Gary Gygax.. you will be sorely missed..

Keldyn_Farscout
03-04-2008, 04:04 PM
Thank you Gary for the great times from childhood to now and those yet to come. I can still remember waxing in the numbers on my dice in the box set. Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.

/salute

~robalan
03-04-2008, 04:05 PM
Even if most of us never got to meet GARY, we have all experienced his creativity and his imagination.
Who could have thought 30 years ago that DND would have grown to where it is today.

I've been playing this game for the past 28 years and have to say THANKS GARY !!!!!!

It would be great to have an upcoming event in his honour!!!

ROJAN Fighter 9th level

HAWK480AV
03-04-2008, 04:11 PM
The great one is not gone.

He has accended to deitys & demigods!

Gary although I never met him I would have loved to thank him for some good friends
and good laughs.

He made my early years a little more pleasent being a navy brat it was always hard
moving from place to place was always hard making friends.

but with my books and dice I always seemed to make some :)

Thank you Gary you will be missed but never forgotten

May your epic journey be filled with the adventures you
made for me and so many others.

Dragion
03-04-2008, 04:13 PM
I bet that he lived many lifetimes in his one life and passed on a happy happy man. He made the lives of many people happy through his game. What better legacy could one wish for. I just wish my res ring worked in real life. When monks come out, I'm going to make a gary build in tribute to him. I'll see ya soon Gary, save me a seat for the next campaign and I'll bring the snacks. 8.(

Pyromaniac
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Very sad news - Truly the best thing in DDO was running Delera's and having it narrated by Gary. As a proud owner of all of the Gord The Rogue books as well, Gary could tell an amazing story. He will be missed.

MJNOR1
03-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Thank you Gary for creating a world for so many of us to escape to. Away from the pressures of real life. I will always hold dear the memories of all-night PnP games with my friends as a young person. I've even still got my original set of dice some 25 years later!

God Speed

Goibhnie
03-04-2008, 04:17 PM
Cheers and thank you Gary and the Gygax Clan.

Goibhnie

Dashien_Sackett
03-04-2008, 04:18 PM
oh no....... Farewell Gary. And rest in peace!

Arnya
03-04-2008, 04:37 PM
All I can say is:

Thanks Gary :)

ClericCat
03-04-2008, 04:38 PM
There is an empty chair,
At the table this day.
A hallowed place where,
A friend once played.
The roll of his rugged dice,
my ears do long to hear.
Or perhaps I would suffice,
If he should suddenly appear.
With character sheet in hand,
and a bag of Cheeze-noodles to share.
All his friends would stand,
as he sat in the empty chair.
I hear his voice a-callin'
and it ties my heart in a knot.
He cries, "Though a comrade has fallen,
You must play for those who cannot!"
His imagination now walks in the sun
with others who have none.
We've conquered worlds on the run,
he and I, but in the name of fun.
And as others may come and go,
I make both friend and foe.
But that I long for most,
Is our past, now a ghost.

--------------------------------------

So long, Gary. You'll be missed.

ccheath776
03-04-2008, 04:43 PM
The sheer massive impact that this one person had on the minds and worlds of many people today is unbelievable.
I would not be who I am today were it not for DND.
I played this wonderful game that Gary created back when it was definately not cool to play and I was never ashamed to say that I did nor tell everyone what class I played and what level my character was.

I would not have met the friends that I have today, be who I am, or had the inspiration to follow a dream that I began pursuing last year.
This may sound nutsy but honestly everything that I am today as a creative, sorta geeky, storytelling, imaginitive, artistic person came from the many hours spent rolling dice and pretending I was a warrior in some far off land being a hero and saving the day.
He took what we used to only be able to do by reading novels and allowed us to actually play the stories and become a part of the tales that were told so long ago. We were able to become the main character, writing our own stories.

I still have a my very first ever character sheet. I am framing it and putting it up on my wall just for you Gary.
Your creation is my inspriration. Save a seat for me at the playing table buddy.
Cheers to you.

captain1z
03-04-2008, 04:46 PM
For helping light the fire of imagination in generations past and those still to come.

My gaming group has changed in size over the years going from as small as 2 to as large as almost 20 I believe at one point.

Whenever we lose a player we take a die out of play and place it in a small jar we have. Even though we didnt know you, your like the father of D & D and have had such a huge impact on our lives, it seems appropriete that we take a die out of play for Gary Gygax.

Id like to believe that in the next life we can all get together every weekend to play, heres hoping Gary stops by our table.

See you then.

bluewiley
03-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Watched the master dm a couple of times at game cons in Lake Geneva years and years ago.

He'll be sorely missed.

And the angel of death said to Gary, "I've got good news and bad news. The good news is there's D&D in heaven."

"And the bad news?"

"You're tomorrow night's DM."

"Still waiting for the bad news."

Let the games begin.

Elvish_Ranger
03-04-2008, 04:52 PM
it is true gary will be missed but at the same time like others have said he lives on in all of our imaginations, wether you play ddo or pnp you still owe it to him, may one day everyone on the planet will know him for his work and ingeniality will live on forever

imunsanitary
03-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Farewell Gary.
I only hope that when I die I can leave a legacy one tenth as popular and well respected as his. He will be missed.
My thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends.

Arachno-san
03-04-2008, 04:57 PM
... and yet with a warmth born of fond memories spending countless hours exploring new worlds opened up to me, I add my voice to the millions that will mourn Gary's passing but rejoice in being one of the same millions who's lives have been enriched by his work and the works his creations have inspired. Let me also take a moment to acknowledge Dave Arneson, co-creator of D&D and friend of Mr. Gygax, lest we forget he was not alone in the creation of those same worlds.

For Gary,

May your sword never dull, may your armour never rust, and may your shield never sunder. Thank you, Dungeon Master. Thank you for giving me the tools I needed to help me in my search to find myself. Dozo senseii. ***bows deeply***

Daergo n' Dieg
Arachnos
Colbey

Ghal

RogueDM
03-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I shall carry my +1 mace proudly in memory of you, Gary.. :)

sidsdad
03-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Thanks for 28-odd years of fun Garry..you will be missed.

Stormanne
03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
I met Gary Gygax about 20 years ago at a comic convention in West Virginia at the South Charleston Rec Center. I was really too young to grasp the impact this one man had made on gaming. I had just bought my first Dungeon Masters Guide for second edition and he was more than happy to autograph it for me. I was just getting started into what has been one of the most wonderful experiences in my life with gaming, both table top and computer, and here one of the creators was taking the time to personalize my copy for me. Even at 11 years old, it was an amazing feeling, even if I didn't quite understand just how important he was to gaming. He will be sorely missed.

Go forward towards the warmth and light old friend,
For your journey now continues on in the hearts of all that you have inspired.
Look back and smile,
Knowing that you have created whole worlds for us,
And that you and your vision shall carry many generations,
To adventures without end.

SgtDante
03-04-2008, 05:18 PM
You will always have a special place in my heart.

Cutedge
03-04-2008, 05:34 PM
I've been meaning to scan in a picture and post it for some guildies, but this seems to be an appropriate time

I was at GenCon last year and on one of the last days they announced that Gygax was there and meeting people and signing things. I didn't have anything particularly interesting to have him sign, since I'm both not as much as a D&D geek as other people on here are in addition to the fact that I was working at the show. I had, however, found some random Turbine swag the night before randomly in one of the halls. So, I had him sign a DDO sticker.

http://www.llamalicious.com/images/ddo/ddo-gygaxsticker.jpg

He actually signed it twice. The first time he didn't do the cursive G's, and as I told him about how we heard him all the time while doing Dalera's, he signed it again since he thought that with the regular G's, "people wouldn't believe me that it was his signature". Heh.

Godspeed, Gary.

Greymeir
03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
/Mourn :(

Thanks Gary for creating something that has been my life's passion since '78.

Drider
03-04-2008, 05:40 PM
http://www.mightythores.com/imagen/noticias/sad_panda.jpg

News like this makes me a sad panda.

cdbd3rd
03-04-2008, 05:56 PM
I was at GenCon last year and on one of the last days they announced that Gygax was there and meeting people and signing things....

Godspeed, Gary.

Aw, man....:(:(:(
I am so very angry at my life right now. That it had the gall to keep me from going last year, where finally meeting the EGG would have been... well, beyond description.

Good choice on the eulogy, ClericCat. Perfect.

Saaluta
03-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Even though we never met, thank you Gary for all the late night sessions with many friends over the years. Some friends have gone and some have just moved away, but I will still remember staying up from Friday night to Sunday afternoon playing DnD and eating pizza and chips while drinking massive amounts of soda. Save me a spot at your table my friend, you can DM for me anytime :)...and you will be in my heart forever.

Saal :)

Chaosjihad
03-04-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm thinking that maybe you could put a shrine or tomb or something in The Graveyard in House J for Gary? Just a little something for the large mark he left on all of us.

Deragoth
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
See, this is the kinda thing that happens when you roll 2d10s and come up with a double zero.

baddax
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
What more can be said about a man who made such an impact on so many peoples lives? I visited far away worlds and conquered hords of evil demons/devils and minions. I presonaly visted the outer planes, the forgotten realms, grey hawlk, dragon lance, ravens loft etc. I went past my wildest dreams and conquered them. Gary was an icon to many when i was growing up. I started playing basic dnd in 78; It was a xmas present. Little did i know that this small boxed set with the funny looking dice would become such a part of my life. Many things have changed; i grew up, got married have a family but funny things is i still play dnd. Sure none of my friends who grew up with had any clue what the power of the pc would change the game we know and loved forever but here we are the only difference is that my friends are seperated by many miles we still share dnd in common. I am sure many people have similar experiences. Gary was a giant among men and will be sorely missed. als i can say is theres gonna be some hela dnd partys in heaven!

RogueDM
03-04-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm thinking that maybe you could put a shrine or tomb or something in The Graveyard in House J for Gary? Just a little something for the large mark he left on all of us.

Oh that would be a great tribute.. kudos..

Lunewann
03-04-2008, 06:19 PM
*Bows head in silence* RESPECT

Brutous
03-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I think these belong here as well- they were posted on different threads, I just wanted to share my feelings-

First Posting-

On the rolling hills of those great plains of adventure we look upon the image of the greatest adventurer of all. As he rides his steed into the sunset we weep, and feel sorrow. However upon the end of a life the telling of deeds and heroic actions are told at many firelit taverns, campfires, and fireplaces of those who knew of adventure and of glory. Those happy few will speak his name softly and with reverence for they too are like him, an adventurer.

My heart is heavy today, for I was only enlighten to the world that he created in November 2005. However I am lifted with joy to know that this world will always live on.

Second posting-

I am sadden by the loss to the community, I am also happy to know his legacy will live on forever in our memories of adventures. Our joy when something we help create becomes what we shaped it to be. In then sunset of his life I can only hope that he knew we loved his creation.

Thank You Mr. Gygax- you gave us a world that will live on in our memories, on the coffee tables, work benches, the hearts, and the homes of people who opened themselves to your creation and ultimately to your wonderful imagination.

Again,
Thank you, and may the heavens hold you in the embrace of glory and light.
Godspeed good sir Godspeed.

Breck_N'Dwall
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
The old Man has gone home, may your spawn point be your favorite tavern.

Thanks for getting me through all of those awkward years by giving me a hobby.

/Sniff

Tonight Death From Below on Khyber will be running Delera's with the volume up. (and of course drinking whiskey)

dwensel7
03-04-2008, 06:25 PM
A special thanks to a man who started it all.. Our prayers go out to his family and the gaming community. His vision inspired us all.

I think ddo should erect a statue to his honor in the marketplace to replace the waterfall as you enter.

a fond farewell to a true adventurer

elldur
03-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Gary Gygax and Gene Roddenberry were the two soul brothers that lived the dream. I am sure they are both exploring new universes together, with laughter, and eyes-shining.

VonBek
03-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the fun. The grass stands less green, and we find neither the sky so blue, nor the sun so bright today as when you were here. Thanks for sharing the ride with us.

Maghantah
03-04-2008, 06:48 PM
Good Journeys Gary.

Until we meet for all eternity.

Thank you for choosing to touch so many people.

Adrian

Zack77
03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Noo!! Gary, you will be sorely missed. Although I have never met him personally, same as many others, he had affected my life as he has affected many of you others, by having made Pen and Paper..... Gary, Rest in Peace, and may the gods carry on your spirit.

NICKOLI
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
The memories you gave us all will not not be soon forgotten thank u for the great nights as a kid and as an adult and all the bonds that were formed thru your and our imaginations..U WILL BE MISSED BROTHER...prayers for the family and personal friends of this great influence on the minds of so many...see ya gary THX nick

CMenace
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
rest in piece

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/andrewjmcguire/book1v4.jpg

xman26
03-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Turbine would like to express our deepest sympathies to the friends and family of one of the original creators of Dungeons & Dragons™, Gary Gygax. We are deeply saddened at his passing today.

Gary was an enormous contributor to the gaming industry, shaping the realm of role playing entertainment as we know it. We will be forever grateful for his work and influence.

Gary will be sorely missed, but will always be remembered by the millions who live and play in his worlds.

Next time atleast add some links to news sites

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/welcome
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/04/gary_gygax_dies_at_69/

HalfOrc
03-04-2008, 11:33 PM
Thanks Gary for giving me a way to let my imagination run free and 30 years of great memories.

Tenkari_Rozahas
03-05-2008, 12:28 AM
even some of the webcomic guys are paying tribute, as seen here.... http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html

Mistinarperadnacles
03-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Sad news indeed. Hail to the (original) DM.

Personally, I'd like to see a statue in the market place.

Cutedge
03-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Penny Arcade too: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/03/04

Laypius
03-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Agreed - a statue indeed. Will there be a memorial service at Deleras?

Sargoth
03-05-2008, 03:33 AM
The world is a little darker today.

Thank you to the man who inspired countless others including myself into believing that our imaginations were the only thing we needed to express ourselves in environments beyond description fighting monsters and demons, liches and dragons for the betterment of those around us.....

The DM has gone before us to make ready the next great setting....just remember rule number 1, The DM is always right.

Thank you Gary, your works have influenced my life and my creativity beyond any other. I look forward to your table in the next campaign.

Happy Hunting.

And yes, i am a firm supporter to a monument in the marketplace for Gary.

penumbra
03-05-2008, 06:07 AM
/momentofsilence

Kale_Hagan
03-05-2008, 07:02 AM
So long, Gary. Thanks for everything.

Widdershins.

Eladiun
03-05-2008, 07:21 AM
Sad day...

insania2016
03-05-2008, 07:58 AM
Well, worked with him a little some years ago with his Lejendary Adventures stuff. Didn't get to publish my module since life at the time was rather, well, interesting... :rolleyes:

Anyhow, he was good guy. He'll be missed. Thanks for D&D Gary!

sir_midus
03-05-2008, 08:03 AM
I think a monument for Gary is surly in order. Maybe in Deleras grave yard.
If only I had a res ring.
Thank you for all you gave us. You will greatly be missed.

KuRRuPT
03-05-2008, 08:09 AM
You Will Be Missed But Never Forgoten...

dakkon75
03-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Thank you for all of the adventures that you have inspired and will inspire.

The DM is dead!!! LONG LIVE THE DM!!!!!!!

/knell

Westerner
03-05-2008, 08:48 AM
The CNN piece said he had six kids.

Would love to hear some of their stories about growing up in Gary's house...

Like did they game with him, and did they ever call him a "Mean DM" when he wouldn't give them the car keys...

spifflove
03-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Goodbye Gary. 69 is a good roll.

You made CNN! Not bad.

Peace.

Luthen
03-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Gary Gygax needs to be held by the world in the same regard as other Sci-Fi / Fantasy visionaries such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Gene Roddenberry, and so on. His shared idea helped to mold, not one but, many generations. Allowing people to come together from all sorts of backgrounds. Whether intentional or not Gary helped, greatly, to shape an entire civilization. Whether you see him as the first "Super Geek" or simply a guy who got lucky. Gary brought worlds together and gave us the ability to dream outside of our own boundaries.

For you Gary... /bow

justjeff
03-05-2008, 01:28 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family. He helped provide me with some great memories and his vision lives on in games such as DDO and others.

SuperBadAssJedi
03-05-2008, 02:41 PM
DnD is a big part of my life, as far as my "me" time is concerned, and I would just like to say that Gary will be missed. Thank you for your contributions in something that gives me so much happiness. I will always remember you, and I would rather be in your worlds than in my own.

Arundil
03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
I'd also really like to see some kind of headstone, statue, tomb, or memorial added to the graveyard.

I only had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Gygax once in the late 80s, but he was a genuine pleasure to meet.

Clement
03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I remember being introduced to D&D by a friend in 1981, and thinking how perfectly it filled a creative and adventurous void that I felt but didn't understand in my jumbled adolescent brain. It brought fun, order and a way to systematically strategize overcoming obstacles, that had benefits beyond the in-game experience. And seeing that crazy, authoritative "Gygax" name on any book made it desirable because you knew it would be imaginative and fun. He truly achieved demi-god status for many of us. May we meet him again in the Undying Lands.

fangdaddy
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
Gary, you changed our lives forever more. Your passing is a loss to all of us...

VladimereTheImpaler
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Gary isnt dead, he is a part of our everyday ddo lives. If it were not for him our characters, this game, the fun times weve shared with people hundreds of miles away would never have happened. Gary made the gaming industry what it is today, the mmo was founded from his and his co-workers sweat and blood, in the end everything is dnd with invicible dice. I am sure he is happy being a part of this virtual world, his voice living in a solute to the monumental difference he made not just to gaming but to society itself. From his work we have ultimately made freinds with people in different countries, something that our ancestors could only accomplish in war. Perhaps im overdoing it a bit, but when you think about it, when you think about the drop of a die and how something so simple made into a game so complex changed the fate of the computer and in turn the computer changing our everyday lives, can we really say hes dead?

p.s. i think ddo should add something gygax related to the game, maybe a ghostly vendor named after him or something, with the consent of the family ofcourse.

traxzin
03-05-2008, 11:34 PM
Thank you Gary, for giving us something to connect with other people, and giving us so many great times with our friends.

Jinxx
03-06-2008, 12:29 AM
I'm stunned. D&D shaped a huge part of my childhood and created many friendships.

DelverRootnose
03-06-2008, 01:15 AM
I think a monument for Gary is surly in order. Maybe in Deleras grave yard.
If only I had a res ring.
Thank you for all you gave us. You will greatly be missed.

I totally agree. A momument/tombstone with a likeness of Gary in the graveyard outside Dalera's is totally in order. Maybe with a a rotating halo of d20s

query
03-06-2008, 04:33 AM
Well, as stated before, I've been playing this P&P for 30+ approaching 31 years now.

And I've met a lot of people since my friend's big brother showed me why even when I was max level I was but a speedbump in Azamodeous' path.
I rememebr the red box and the reintroduction how it seemed to make sense that elf and darf were their own class multi.

How I met the player who was in Gary's group before he left Michigan, and was the only one to match Gary's roll so his PC lived when he left.

How on the Gencon 20th Anniversary, he was pointed out to me and I thought, "that toad is Gary?!"

How through the years I learned how Gary was like Gene: loud stubborn, intractable and the universe's cannon was HIS way only, or it was just some others' bad idea.

I remember the time my father tried to set up and the eventuall downfal of Lejendary adventures as an MMO, and still have the autographed copy of the main RPG book...and why he didn't quite understand that the book was very nice, but I'd rated have been brought to the meeting to meet the man and talk to him directly.

Yeah, Gary seemed to be a stubborn old gamer, but when they really met the person, they said he was always
(rolls d10 and d6)...pleased to meet you.

Had to throw in that Futurama quote as I heard he sometimes did that in RL.

Such nuances that made D&D unique will be missed.
We know you have left our material plane Gary, and I thank and miss you for making the mythology I love for over three decades, the longest interest of anything I ever had.

You may be our god of this game, and I worship your vision still.

Goodbye Gary.....

BuzzSaw
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.forgottenlegion.net/misc/GenCon/GenCon048.jpg

That's me and an officer in my guild at the GenCon last year. Originally I wanted to run up to him yell "DELERA'S Been FREED!!!!" and then run like hell out of there...

But watching him sit there and greet EVERYONE so warmly and openly made me change my mind very quickly...

Since 1977 I have played his game, and I lost THOUSANDS of hours wrapped up in his vision and world.

I've sorta been in a funk since I heard the news. And although that was the first and only time I ever met the man, it was like I knew him through his work all my life.

Rest in Peace Gary.

I will miss you very very much
Buzz

mtkinsac
03-06-2008, 11:59 AM
I spent the better part of 20 years immersed in the genre of D&D. I remember the excitement of Keep on the Boderlands, or the first time our DM rolled out a Dragon and the many worlds Gary allowed to become for a time reality. Thanks for all of the memories and friends, thanks for being there for this nerdy kid to have some friends!

A statue in his Honor would be more than appropriate!

oldschool
03-06-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm thrilled to know he lived a life where he truly realized all his game had created; joy, imagination, friendships, an entire game genre (pnp, console, and computer), and affected the lives of many. I have no doubt he was happy until the end, and now he is happy without pain. Bless him.

Many of us have much to be thankful for...even those who didn't play DND but perhaps played something within the genre. I, for instance, have played DND since 1978 and thanks to the creative process and analytical skills one learns playing and DMing for years I am a well-paid and happy video game producer and designer. It's all him. Truly.

It's great to see DND has evolved and is still going. Here we are, 30 years later and DND online is thriving. Thanks Gary and I look forward to meeting you up there someday.

Erik

oldschool
03-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Gary Gygax needs to be held by the world in the same regard as other Sci-Fi / Fantasy visionaries such as J.R.R. Tolkien, Gene Roddenberry, and so on. His shared idea helped to mold, not one but, many generations. Allowing people to come together from all sorts of backgrounds. Whether intentional or not Gary helped, greatly, to shape an entire civilization. Whether you see him as the first "Super Geek" or simply a guy who got lucky. Gary brought worlds together and gave us the ability to dream outside of our own boundaries.

For you Gary... /bow

Agreed!!!