PDA

View Full Version : I was ridiculed for DD0!

villainsimple
03-03-2008, 03:18 AM
I invited a friend over to try DDO, they built a ranger... he took point blank shot.

He played the game... and this is where the harshness comes in...

He played the Steal the healing Elixir Quest... in the shrine tunnel he noticed that he wasn't getting his point blank shot feat bonus until the spider was VERY close...

in fact he did a by eye measurement...

and it looked to be about 10... maybe 15 feet (he marked where the spider had died in comparison to where he was standing (the first band near the entrance of the tunnel was where he was standing the next band heading towards the shrine is where the spider died.

Yeah, about ten to fifteen feat away is when point blank shot...which is supposed to be THIRTY FEAT actually activated.

... I was asked why I invested time into a video game [Edited by the Gelatinous Cube] which appears to change the rules.

I... I really didn't have a response.

GlassCannon
03-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Put the "so damn dumb" part in quotes would you? That way it fully places the credit for that phrase on him.

I would also like to know why an Ogre can use Telekinetic Strike(hit and kill your character from 15 feet away, with a club).

As for Point Blank Shot, he should have submitted a Bug Report.

This is D&D Online, not World of WeDumpBillionsOfImbeciles'DollarsDownTheCrapper.

MysticTheurge
03-03-2008, 07:11 AM
As for Point Blank Shot, he should have submitted a Bug Report.

Not really.

Horizontal distance in DDO is vastly compressed, for some reason. PBS and Ranged Sneak Attacks only function incredibly close. Spells don't cover nearly the area that they should. Everything, horizontally, is far shorter than it should be.

It's like someone took the whole world and stretched it upwards.

Aspenor
03-03-2008, 07:18 AM
30 feet is approximately the diameter of a Haste spell.

Brikke
03-03-2008, 07:37 AM
Does it really matter?

The_Ick
03-03-2008, 07:38 AM
I invited a friend over to try DDO, they built a ranger... he took point blank shot.

He played the Steal the healing Elixir Quest... in the shrine tunnel he noticed that he wasn't getting his point blank shot feat bonus until the spider was VERY close...

and it looked to be about 10... maybe 15 feet (he marked where the spider had died in comparison to where he was standing (the first band near the entrance of the tunnel was where he was standing the next band heading towards the shrine is where the spider died.

Yeah, about ten to fifteen feat away is when point blank shot...which is supposed to be THIRTY FEAT actually activated.

I am not sure what and "by eye measurement" is, but it sounds to me like he started the game looking for a reason to hate it.

Aeneas
03-03-2008, 07:48 AM
In his defense, expanding the range on "point blank shot" or even increasing what it does wouldn't exactly be a game breaker. PBS is one of the lamest feats out there - you should have told him to take blood of the yuan-ti or whatever that garbage poison feat is called.

MysticTheurge
03-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Does it really matter?

Actually, it's kind of disconcerting to not have a good sense of how far horizontal distances logically should be.

Brikke
03-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Heh... I'm just playing a game here... didn't think 10 and 30 feet incongruencies were consequential. I had no idea people take into account the difference of 20 feet in horizontal distance in a game.

Yaga_Nub
03-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Heh... I'm just playing a game here... didn't think 10 and 30 feet incongruencies were consequential. I had no idea people take into account the difference of 20 feet in horizontal distance in a game.

They do.

villainsimple
03-03-2008, 10:07 AM
I am not sure what and "by eye measurement" is, but it sounds to me like he started the game looking for a reason to hate it.

We had a discussion about this actually..

If the average human in the game is about 5 and a half to 6 foot tall... then yeah... it's only like ten or 12 foot.

Missing_Minds
03-03-2008, 10:28 AM
We had a discussion about this actually..

If the average human in the game is about 5 and a half to 6 foot tall... then yeah... it's only like ten or 12 foot.

Does your friend or yourself, in real life, not have binocular vision? If both of you do have binocular vision, add in 8 feet to your guesstimations.

I do not have binocular vision, so I do not have depth perception. My world is flat, my world is what you would call "pictures" You tend to underestimate how far away something really is. If you take a sheet of paper, draw equal distance parallel lines on it, then look at it from an angle, that is how I see steps.

Now, if you add in how the current game engine is on "hit detection" with where "objects" in the game actually are, you'll realize that "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear to be." (sorry, had to say it) That spider, game wise, is mechanically 5-10 feet closer than what you visually see it at.

So when you add in the depthless guestimation error, and game positioning cheating (I call it cheating.) you are actually closer to the 30 feet than what you thought.

Also, if you are using humans sleeping as your bases, you are losing distance also. The only race you really can use for distance is WF because they go ram rod straight to sleep.

Impaqt
03-03-2008, 10:45 AM

Tell him to go back to WoW...... If someone is gonna nitpick to that extent inteh first few quests inthe game, they are certainly not interested in playing it.

arminius
03-03-2008, 10:52 AM
Wasn't this thread closed? Did it get reopened?

At any rate, do you guys remember your first experiences in game, when you were still on the Goodblade quests and earlier? I remember mine.

I can tell you the last thing on my mind during any encounter, no matter how innocuous, was constantly scanning the combat log to see if I could detect something amiss with the feat I chose.

I'm not saying it is wrong to do so. Different strokes, etc. It just seems to me a bit..... odd.

_

Mad_Bombardier
03-03-2008, 10:54 AM
If someone is gonna nitpick to that extent inteh first few quests inthe game, they are certainly not interested in playing it.It's not a nitpick, it's a game mechanic that effectively obsoletes several feat choices. The DDO learning curve is HUGE for players who are not familiar with d20 rules. To help new players, we need accurate ingame descriptions. The distance needs to be lengthened or the descriptor needs to be changed so that new players do not waste their feats.

Impaqt
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
It's not a nitpick, it's a game mechanic that effectively obsoletes several feat choices. The DDO learning curve is HUGE for players who are not familiar with d20 rules. To help new players, we need accurate ingame descriptions. The distance needs to be lengthened or the descriptor needs to be changed so that new players do not waste their feats.

Since there are no Foot markers anywhere onthe ground, whos to say what 30' really is?

Laith
03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
It's not a nitpick, it's a game mechanic that effectively obsoletes several feat choices.agreed, but as a new player, this shouldn't be enough to decide on a game being worthwhile or not.

he was asked why he "invested time into a video game which appears to change the rules."
basically its a case of a new player expecting a 100% pen-and-paper conversion... except changed from turn-based to real-time.

ChildrenofBodom
03-03-2008, 11:02 AM
If the Devs are gonna actually change something as stupid as this then they need to change the diameter of Otiluke's Freezing Spheere because the diameter that it effects is horribly small. It's an almost useless spell.

Mad_Bombardier
03-03-2008, 11:04 AM
There are several dungeons with ~5' square slabs/tiles on the ground. It's quite easy to count from 1 to 6 (if you're lucky enough to have six fingers on your left hand... :p).
agreed, but as a new player, this shouldn't be enough to decide on a game being worthwhile or not.

if that was enough to destroy his first-time experience of the game, he was indeed nitpicking.One person aside, let's look at the big picture. My point was that the above is one example of a bad new player experience. There are many such examples and collectively, they can turn people off to the game. And that is not a good thing. Ingame descriptors should strive to match the rules/mechanics for EVERYTHING and players shouldn't have to guess what their feats and enhancements actually do.

If the Devs are gonna actually change something as stupid as this then they need to change the diameter of Otiluke's Freezing Spheere because the diameter that it effects is horribly small. It's an almost useless spell.That's another one. But, at least you can readily change out spells.

villainsimple
03-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Actually... just measured it... using warforged with the estimation warforged are about 7 feet tall.

It's 30 feet, give or take.

xynxie
03-03-2008, 11:23 AM
just seems to me that a so called first time tryer of the game would find something so minute and base thier whole future experience of MMO gaming off of that. I understand he may be a PnP geek...but to expect PnP to translate perfectly in an MMO is naive at best.

Missing_Minds
03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Actually... just measured it... using warforged with the estimation warforged are about 7 feet tall.

It's 30 feet, give or take.

Looks like you have a response back for your friend now.

Emili
03-03-2008, 01:22 PM
It could be a foot is not standardized as of yet in Stormreach? Aye, that's it... and the king's feet are smaller - maybe he's a dwarf? Oh wait thier is no one ruler of Stormreach, Aye that's right... but I assume many a coinlord is a dwarf.:D

Elistor
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Not really.

Horizontal distance in DDO is vastly compressed, for some reason. PBS and Ranged Sneak Attacks only function incredibly close. Spells don't cover nearly the area that they should. Everything, horizontally, is far shorter than it should be.

It's like someone took the whole world and stretched it upwards.

Wait.... sneak attack works at range? I just started playing again and decided to make a pure rogue using a Heavy crossbow, I've made it to rank 13(leveling only when I have too so I can do the quests at there recomended level) and I have yet to ever see a sneak attack dmg. show up. I just figured they disabled it for ranged for whatever reason. Now granted I have been soloing this whole time so the only shots that would qualify for sneak attak are the first ones but still a few should.... how close do i have to be to ranged sneak attack?

Sorry for the somewhat derailment of the thread.

BigBadBarry
03-03-2008, 07:59 PM
You have to be within "30 feet"...but see above for what that might mean....:)

captain1z
03-03-2008, 08:59 PM
As may have been said already...... anyone who is 1st level and measuring PBS range is either:

a - not interested in playing in the 1st place
b - a ficticous friend created to express ones displeasure
c - should be working on his own MMO instead of playing this one
d - all of the above

GlassCannon
03-03-2008, 11:58 PM
They do.

With 3 Rangers they sure ought to.

negative
03-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Well, even though someone up above there says they measured the distance using warforged, I won't believe till I see it with my own eyes, cause it certainly doesn't look like 30 feet to me.

That said, I've done a good bit of 3D modeling myself. And I would be lying if I didn't tell you that I have purposely scaled up the size of my worlds/models by 2x because "it made things look more correct / accurate / better to the camera". (This does infact have an effect on things if you are loo lazy to change the apeture (or some other setting) of the camera). I'd also be lying if I said the programmers coding the actions and movements in my world had no problems adapting to this change in scale.

totmacher
03-05-2008, 05:28 PM
but the real question is what female human and elven rangers do with all those bows and quarterstaves

Arnya
03-05-2008, 05:28 PM
As may have been said already...... anyone who is 1st level and measuring PBS range is either:

a - not interested in playing in the 1st place
b - a ficticous friend created to express ones displeasure
c - should be working on his own MMO instead of playing this one
d - all of the above

I'll pick 'D' for the car and holiday package, thanks Bob...

MrWizard
03-05-2008, 05:33 PM
your friend doesn't sound like he will ever be happy doing anything but complaining. Sounds a bit obsessive compulsive.

thank god he was not around when space invaders came out...

captain1z
03-05-2008, 05:40 PM
but the real question is what female human and elven rangers do with all those bows and quarterstaves

Oh Totmacher...... what are we going to do with you.

Between the bunghole jokes and now quarterstaffs. We need to get you a nice wholesome halfling girl.

Lifespawn
03-06-2008, 07:55 AM
The problem is that mobs aren't where they appear to be prime example is the way something runs from you and you can be up their rear and not hit them.

But if you run past them and attack the air you can hit them this is a serious flaw because the mob realizes your ahead of them and changes direction making it very very hard to get them.

Test this for yourself shoot at a mob from a distance and pull out a weapon don't move and start swinging you will hit the mob a large distance before he is in range of your weapon.

This is a huge problem for spidwers with their jumping it shows them right infront of you but actually the numbers usually show up on the side or behind you making spells impossible to target them with and arrows and bolts go phantom.

Try targeting a spder with a weapon in hand and turn on auto attack and watch how it says you must face the spider with just a slight deviation even if it looks like you are facing right at them no dice.

This really needs to be looked at it is the single most frustrating part of them game right now for me see that lion chasing you that looks 3-4 lion lengths back well he's nor really he's only 2 steps behind you and now your tripped and all you can do is swear about it.

Please please please look into this.

Scooter
03-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Does it really matter?

I vote "no".

Sheezgame
03-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Maybe its measured with real halfling feet

MrCow
03-06-2008, 11:39 AM
I've always used solid fog as an estmation of a 20 x 20 foot sphere for DDO (and Warforged as 6 feet, 6 inches). I may have to see how well this actually measures out now.

Mad_Bombardier
03-06-2008, 11:46 AM
Maybe its measured with real halfling feetI know I keep a beltloop of severed Halfling feet just for this purpose! (the furry feet tickle when I run. :p) :D

Elthbert
03-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Wasn't this thread closed? Did it get reopened?

At any rate, do you guys remember your first experiences in game, when you were still on the Goodblade quests and earlier? I remember mine.

I can tell you the last thing on my mind during any encounter, no matter how innocuous, was constantly scanning the combat log to see if I could detect something amiss with the feat I chose.

I'm not saying it is wrong to do so. Different strokes, etc. It just seems to me a bit..... odd.

_

Yes, and I remember casting magic missle at a kobold for the first time, watching as my missle struck and the thing stayed up, I thought, darn must have rolled poorly and I cast it agian, then a thrid time, by that time the kobold and his friend were pounding on me. I hit the one I had MM 3 times with my staff and finally killed it only to be killed by the other 2 Kobolds.

I was really upset that there was a kobold warrior in a 1st level adventure with more than 12 hp ( which is what my MM's had done, when I finally thought to look in my combat log.) I almost quit right then. I Was livid, Kobolds have 1/4 hd. I understand beig annoyed by the failure of the game to follow the rules.

EspyLacopa
03-06-2008, 11:04 PM
I was really upset that there was a kobold warrior in a 1st level adventure with more than 12 hp ( which is what my MM's had done, when I finally thought to look in my combat log.) I almost quit right then. I Was livid, Kobolds have 1/4 hd. I understand beig annoyed by the failure of the game to follow the rules.

Actually. . .

A Kobold Warrior, in D&D, would have 1d8 + Con Mod HP. (typically, 4 HP). And let's not get into what happens if you gave that kobold an Elite Array and Barbarian levels. . .

MysticTheurge
03-07-2008, 07:05 AM

Did you also almost quit when you realized you could cast Magic Missile twelve times a day instead of once? ;)

EspyLacopa
03-07-2008, 07:10 AM
Did you also almost quit when you realized you could cast Magic Missile twelve times a day instead of once? ;)
To be fair, a Level 2 sorcerer in PnP could cast five Magic Missile spells. Versus the DDO level 2 sorcerer who could cast it 28 times. And they do 4-5 damage per missile instead of 2-5.

Karavek
03-07-2008, 09:43 AM
this point has been brought up and ignored by the 12 tyrants before. Pretty much its about favoring the super tank dwarf over the tactical, clever,agile warriors. In PnP it makes all the sense for someone with sneak attack to get in range and plink a a few quick shots and fall back to thick cover to hide again. In this game instead of increasing the range for sneak attacks as would of been more logical to compensate for how fast and far a character or enemy can move they decreased it to the point that bows are largely for support fire and pulling aggro. Certainly there are instances when you can get a mob stuck and shoot them down but that is exploiting poor path finding A.I. Meanwhile once upon a time smart ranged characters could use the rocks around Velah for cover and plink at her, which was very logical, but since it meant in theory a dozen guys with bows might kill her with little risk they said hey no we want it to take a full frontal assault that involves everyone dieing except the main tanks while the clerics focus thier healing on those guys. No matter how many think this game is so very different and better to say WoW( a game I played for all of one day) the fact is that its been nothing but one heavy handed stereo typed MMO, that we all only play because it uses the D20 system for its characters, and uses our love of D&D to take our money for little quality of play.

It in fact largely lacks many quality of play factors virtually every older MMO has. It lacks Mounts and animal companions(traditional things for rangers and paladins),it has some of the most limited character appearance design Ive ever seen, they cripple and nerf virtually anything that lets us behave in a real D&D style, forcing us to just accept that you pretty much have to build a certain type of character to be considered powerful by the Elitist.

I come and go from this game, and though I think I will remain for another month after that I will probably go back to CoH or something where my Drow swordsman is on par with and in some cases stronger then many others and where at least a tank can never hope to out damage a scrapper and really doesnt tank any better. Also there I can at least fly, and the invasion events have more then enough for even casual players to get some action in.

Meanwhile here the diehard addicts will waste their money on a game that will inevitably remain poorly funded because they fail to attract any through quality only through a D&D logo, and therefore keep the game from growing into something great.

Curse the 12 tyrants and their heavy handed thug tactics, consideration and a subtle hand not brute force is the true power of D&D.

P.S. if any of the 12 where a DM at my groups table they would of been Dice Bagged to death by now I expect.

EspyLacopa
03-07-2008, 09:52 AM
In PnP it makes all the sense for someone with sneak attack to get in range and plink a a few quick shots and fall back to thick cover to hide again.

It also makes sense for the enemies to then grab a torch and burn said cover with the rogue inside. . .

Can't find them, smoke 'em out!

Oh right, Computer Controlled Enemies in DDO can't do that, limitations of the computer and all that.

Elthbert
03-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Actually. . .

A Kobold Warrior, in D&D, would have 1d8 + Con Mod HP. (typically, 4 HP). And let's not get into what happens if you gave that kobold an Elite Array and Barbarian levels. . .

regardless, it would not have more than 12 And I didn't say kobold Warrior, I said warrior, lower case, I don't know what it's classwas but the average kobold is supposed to have 2 hp not more than 12.

Elthbert
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM

Well obviously I didn't quit, but being able to cast it 12 times a day wasn't much of a help when I had to fight 12 times as much stuff and I HAD to do it by myself, no party like I would have had in PNP, where I could only cast it once.

Aesop
03-07-2008, 10:51 AM
It also makes sense for the enemies to then grab a torch and burn said cover with the rogue inside. . .

Can't find them, smoke 'em out!

Oh right, Computer Controlled Enemies in DDO can't do that, limitations of the computer and all that.

yep and while all their night vision is gone blinded by the flames they just lit the rogue sneaks out behind them where they are all nicely back lit and plinks them again :D

Aesop

Aesop
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh by the way they did away with 1/4 hit die thing in 3.5

Kobolds have d8 (average 4) but then we also cast more and have +20 hp... its to add a more "epic" feeling to combat I guess.

I kinda hope they throw in goblins at some point myself

also they should extend point blank and sneak attack range to medium distance ... which is a lot closer to the 30'

it seems that DDO has 4 ranges that they measure

touch (within body length)
Short (within 2-3 body lengths... seems to be what Point Blank and Sneak Attack is at right now and its just way too close I think)
Medium (7-10 body lengths many spells seem this range fireball etc)
Long (12-15 body lengths not sure but I now I can't hit some mobs with fireball that I can with PK)

Aesop

Cinwulf
03-07-2008, 11:27 AM
I come and go from this game, and though I think I will remain for another month after that I will probably go back to CoH or something where my Drow swordsman is on par with and in some cases stronger then many others and where at least a tank can never hope to out damage a scrapper and really doesnt tank any better. Also there I can at least fly, and the invasion events have more then enough for even casual players to get some action in.

CoH does do a good job with special events.

Missing_Minds
03-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Well obviously I didn't quit, but being able to cast it 12 times a day wasn't much of a help when I had to fight 12 times as much stuff and I HAD to do it by myself, no party like I would have had in PNP, where I could only cast it once.

did you solo much in PnP as well at low levels?

MysticTheurge
03-07-2008, 01:26 PM

My low level wizard does alright solo'ing, in low level quests set to the solo difficulty.

Of course, she's warforged so she can heal herself, and she charms a lot of kobolds. (It helps to use the tools available to you.)

Elthbert
03-07-2008, 06:06 PM
My low level wizard does alright solo'ing, in low level quests set to the solo difficulty.

Of course, she's warforged so she can heal herself, and she charms a lot of kobolds. (It helps to use the tools available to you.)

there was no solo setting back then.

parvo
03-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Yes. But did your friend try bluff skill? If he did he'd find that he can bluff creatures from forever far away and even, to some extent, through ojects that block line-of-site. And that makes up for all the "compressed horizontal distance" of everything that might actually have some use at distance.

Attomic
03-08-2008, 06:30 AM
this point has been brought up and ignored by the 12 tyrants before. Pretty much its about favoring the super tank dwarf over the tactical, clever,agile warriors. In PnP it makes all the sense for someone with sneak attack to get in range and plink a a few quick shots and fall back to thick cover to hide again. In this game instead of increasing the range for sneak attacks as would of been more logical to compensate for how fast and far a character or enemy can move they decreased it to the point that bows are largely for support fire and pulling aggro. Certainly there are instances when you can get a mob stuck and shoot them down but that is exploiting poor path finding A.I. Meanwhile once upon a time smart ranged characters could use the rocks around Velah for cover and plink at her, which was very logical, but since it meant in theory a dozen guys with bows might kill her with little risk they said hey no we want it to take a full frontal assault that involves everyone dieing except the main tanks while the clerics focus thier healing on those guys. No matter how many think this game is so very different and better to say WoW( a game I played for all of one day) the fact is that its been nothing but one heavy handed stereo typed MMO, that we all only play because it uses the D20 system for its characters, and uses our love of D&D to take our money for little quality of play.

It in fact largely lacks many quality of play factors virtually every older MMO has. It lacks Mounts and animal companions(traditional things for rangers and paladins),it has some of the most limited character appearance design Ive ever seen, they cripple and nerf virtually anything that lets us behave in a real D&D style, forcing us to just accept that you pretty much have to build a certain type of character to be considered powerful by the Elitist.

Meanwhile here the diehard addicts will waste their money on a game that will inevitably remain poorly funded because they fail to attract any through quality only through a D&D logo, and therefore keep the game from growing into something great.

Curse the 12 tyrants and their heavy handed thug tactics, consideration and a subtle hand not brute force is the true power of D&D.

P.S. if any of the 12 where a DM at my groups table they would of been Dice Bagged to death by now I expect.

You're just a little ray of sunshine, ain't'cha? Sayonara.

dungeonrat07
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
sorry this a link!

Staedtler
03-11-2008, 01:46 AM
The OP points out that what DDO lacks is ease of use for new players and an overall sense of polish.

Cue ridicule from forums.

Pathetic.

FluffyCalico
03-11-2008, 02:00 AM

... I was asked why I invested time into a video game [Edited by the Gelatinous Cube] which appears to change the rules.

Well I don't know if you were here from the beginning. But the whole first month you heard nothing but complaining and saw your friends list drop like flies and DnD fans ran from this game. This game is not DnD its MMO that somewhat resembles Dnd that is all. If he came here expecting DnD 3.5 he will not find it. If he wants a fun MMO that reminds him of DnD then he's in the right place.

KristovK
03-11-2008, 03:10 AM
The OP points out that what DDO lacks is ease of use for new players and an overall sense of polish.

Cue ridicule from forums.

Pathetic.

Lack of ease of use for new players? I take it you never actually did the starter quests, which explain how to use weapons, spells, skills and movement, including jumping and blocking, as well as class specific abilities/skills.

As for a lack of overall sense of polish...sorry, but the first starter quests definately do NOT give that impression.

As for the ridicule here..yeah...that's a given with the statement the OP made..or his friend made...it was obviously the statement of someone who didn't WANT to play DDO to begin with and was looking for reasons to not do so. The OP's friend didn't 'see' his PBS taking effect as soon as he started firing at the spider and only measured the final distance to the spider after it died, which would be much closer to him then when he started firing and when PBS actually started kicking in since that spider would have continued to close on him and would be closer than when PBS kicked in, even though he probably didn't get a shot in at the actual range limit PBS kicked in at due the spider's speed.

As pointed out, the actual horizontal distances in DDO are a little misleading visually, which is pretty much a given with any video game that doesn't have a range marker included, it's a 2d representation of a 3d world, so it's missing depth no matter what you do. The scale of objects in DDO doesn't help, most are oversized, and that tends to make you think you are closer to an object then you actually are in the game world. As someone else suggested, pick a spell that has X radius and use that for a scale, then you'll see that the game doesn't actually alter the rules on the fly, X is X is X at any time in any place, it's just not always visually the same due to the scale of the world around your character.