PDA

View Full Version : Human vs Dwarven battlecleric?

Jaxom_Faux
02-29-2008, 02:01 AM
so i've been gone a LONG time, but i'm finally back and got my 1750 in 50ish more points... my original BC (my namesake) was made at release before i knew what elite endgame content would be like and needs to be updated a bit.

my main question is.... human or dwarf? as mine is human (and capped) i know all the perks for them but how's a dwarf stack up? i've heard some say their better so hit me with an honest opinion from the capped end please.

twix
02-29-2008, 05:18 AM
I have a capped dwarven bc.I like em.But i also like dwarves.I think with a human bc you can deffintly acheive a higher str but with a dwarf bc you can acheive higher hp.But you also have full heal so how useful is it to have 400 hp when if you have 300 or so you can heal just as easy.I think it would come down to preference.

Angelus_dead
02-29-2008, 05:29 AM
In general go dwarf if you're taking one level of fighter/paladin, or human if you're not.

Aesop
02-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Dwarves have been given the Lion's Share of Racial Enhancements. For a Cleric they have an Enhancement that gives extra SP called Dwarven Faith. If you plan on taking Toughness they can get an extra 50 HP out of it with Dwarven Toughness. If you are planinng on FIghting a lot they get Attack and Damage enhancements for all Axes (Throwing, Hand, Battle, Dwarven, and Great). They get Armor Mastery for better AC they get Shield Enhancements for Blocking DR... etc.

Humans on the other hand do get +1 Feat (not an enhancement just really nice), They get Human Versitility that can be useful for burst fightinig or defending (though 20 sec doesn't do a lot in a large melee it can via Defense Boost give you a jump on AC that may allow a Heal to be thrown while being pummeled) THey can get 2 stat points to put anywhere vs the Dwarf that gets 2 con points. THey have a higher base Charisma score so they can have better and more turning... if that's your thing. They also have improved recovery which means heals do more for you than for Dwarves...

All things considered I'd say dwarves are a better choice for most classes out there. A little too large of a gap for my tastes which is why I only have 1 at htis point and that one I don't play very often. It feels dirty to me for some reason. However Dwarves are probably the better choice if that doesn't bother you.;)

Aesop

ShadowFox1978
02-29-2008, 06:30 AM
Dwarf is superior for a melee cleric and human is better for an offensive caster. Either race end game, I highly recommend quicken. The mobs in the Vale hit hard and often. Uninterruptable heals make all the difference. Some one said not much difference between 300 and 400 hitpoints, I disagree. If you have any ambitions towards running the Shroud, I recommend mid to high 300 hp. It is also good in the other quests, on elite the Orthons and devils can hit for 30-60 a pop. You get caught in a group with lowish Hp and you are dead fast. Deffinatly go max wisdom though, I did it on my BC. Yes you are a fighting cleric, but when the **** hits the fan, you want your spells to land.

Mad_Bombardier
02-29-2008, 10:20 AM
Human Paladin2 - a few bonus SP, Divine Grace. Take Paladin at 1st level and use bonus feat for Khopesh.
Dwarven Fighter1 - free Dwarven axes + Dwarven Faith. Use early career feat for Toughness.

Jaxom_Faux
02-29-2008, 12:14 PM
thanks for all the replies, i appreciate it. i just started getting into the vale so i don't know it all yet but i definately noticed my poor old build was slacking.

Purgatory
02-29-2008, 12:24 PM
Humans at this point can get a 38 maxed wisdom with crafted raid loot compared to 37 vs dwarfs is another thing to consider that including max wis to start and upping your wisdom every 4 lvls and eating a +3 tome from the reaver.

artvan_delet
02-29-2008, 12:41 PM
I re-rolled my 28pt cleric into a 32 pt dwarf cleric. Absolutely no regrets. I'm not a BC, but I love the extra HP. Im at 412 at level 16. [I maxed wis, and then elevated con and went with 11 int (+1 int tomes easy to come by). I maxed balance, diplomacy, and some jump. Again not a BC.] Anyway, dwarven faith isn't worth much of anything, but dwarven SR enhancements are good, and the dwarven toughness is great. Cleric is no good if the cleric dies, so HP matters. As things stand now, I prefer dwarf. I don't think much of DVs, although I have 7 with cha 6 item. I don't recommend wasting points on extra CHA. There's so much SP for casters nowadays, I focus on keeping people alive, not giving casters more mana. Just some thoughts.

Redd
02-29-2008, 02:29 PM
I don't think much of DVs, although I have 7 with cha 6 item. I don't recommend wasting points on extra CHA. There's so much SP for casters nowadays, I focus on keeping people alive, not giving casters more mana. Just some thoughts.

Just food for thought...DV's arent just for casters (wiz/sorc). DVs are great for topping off fellow clerics after buffing party in runs such as Shroud....

artvan_delet
02-29-2008, 03:51 PM
Just food for thought...DV's arent just for casters (wiz/sorc). DVs are great for topping off fellow clerics after buffing party in runs such as Shroud....

There are always tradeoffs. I've never refused DVs, don't get me wrong. I personally don't focus on them. And for a battle cleric, points are even more scarce.

sirgog
03-01-2008, 12:05 AM
There are always tradeoffs. I've never refused DVs, don't get me wrong. I personally don't focus on them. And for a battle cleric, points are even more scarce.

I found space for the minimum level of DVs for Numot. 1 AP grants about 55SP (3 DVs of around 18-19 each) in a pinch to a caster that needs it (minimum Cha of 6, but I do have a bit of +Cha on an item that does something else).

Have been very happy with the way that's worked out. It gets the party a Haste, Good Hope, Remove Fear or Break Enchantment in a pinch, not to mention a Discoball or Symbol of Persuasion when we are one tough fight from a shrine.