PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Combat after 6.1

Castlehawk
02-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Something doesnt feel right after yesterday's update....

Played my ranger today (and every other day) and i wasn't getting rolls on mobs.

Can someone else chime in and tell me if I am alone on this? I am not sure how to articulate, but it almost feels like my "line of fire" is a lot more condenced and mobs that are moving are even harder to hit than before.

Turial
02-28-2008, 03:37 PM
I would ask if you were stationary and the mob was coming straight at you?

Were you stationary and the mob was strafing towards you? (moving left or right as well as forward)

Were you circle strafing to the right and the mob was following you?

Were you circle strafing to the right and the mbo was moving in the opposite direction in the circle? (your going right and its going left from its perspective)

Were you circle strafing to the left and the mob was following you?

Were you circle strafing to the left and the mob was moving in the opposite direction in the circle? (your going left and its going right from its perspective)

Were you jump strafing (jumping over the mob and turning in mid air)?

The reason I ask is because certain directional combinations always seem to result in a larger number of attacks not getting rolls. Generally its the worst when the mob follows you in the circle, is strafing and you are not, and you are jump strafing.

negative
02-28-2008, 04:37 PM
I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary last night running around for a few hours on my bow using ranger. It was *just as difficult* to hit moving mobs, etc. as ussual.

captain1z
02-28-2008, 06:32 PM
As of last night I was still able to peg a moving target. No issue with me ..... happy with the improvement over how it was.

I tend not to move when Im ranging as I only shoot at stuff that:

a - I want to draw to me
b - is running from me
c - is chasing someone around and they wont stop kitting it

Delt
02-28-2008, 07:07 PM
Something doesnt feel right after yesterday's update....

Played my ranger today (and every other day) and i wasn't getting rolls on mobs.

Can someone else chime in and tell me if I am alone on this? I am not sure how to articulate, but it almost feels like my "line of fire" is a lot more condenced and mobs that are moving are even harder to hit than before.

I really honestly haven't been playing anything except the shroud lately (which is terribly laggy at times). I pulled out my bow user last night for a shroud run and something was definately odd... had a ranger, pulling the orc, and I was supposed to be on the trog (Part 5) kiting them around. Other ranger got both their aggro (precise shot I guess). I tried to get my trog back as the other ranger ran around...I could not for the life of me land a shot on the trog but I kept hitting the Orc (and ya, I double checked constantly, had the Trog highlighted and not the Orc). I don't know what, if anything changed...I chalked it up to a random oddity. Guess I'll know for sure in about 48hours.

roggane
03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I would ask if you were stationary and the mob was coming straight at you?

Were you stationary and the mob was strafing towards you? (moving left or right as well as forward)

Were you circle strafing to the right and the mob was following you?

Were you circle strafing to the right and the mbo was moving in the opposite direction in the circle? (your going right and its going left from its perspective)

Were you circle strafing to the left and the mob was following you?

Were you circle strafing to the left and the mob was moving in the opposite direction in the circle? (your going left and its going right from its perspective)

Were you jump strafing (jumping over the mob and turning in mid air)?

The reason I ask is because certain directional combinations always seem to result in a larger number of attacks not getting rolls. Generally its the worst when the mob follows you in the circle, is strafing and you are not, and you are jump strafing.

But this shouldn't happen (and does a ton).

Have we even rec'd a confirmation from the devs this is a problem and it's being worked on?

Turial
03-07-2008, 02:47 PM
But this shouldn't happen (and does a ton).

Have we even rec'd a confirmation from the devs this is a problem and it's being worked on?

/agree

It shouldn't happen but does. And its especially noticable when ranged combat only gets about 53 attacks per min at the cap. If you loose 10 of them in that time frame you might as well be shooting your party members (I tried this, it doesn't work).

Look at the big outcry when the 5th attack animation was slowed. Melee users were rightly put off by it. Ranged combat has been in the bin since beta with only incremental advances done but no real plan, or rather one that was made public, to fix it so that ranged combat can appropriately add to the game. Makes me wonder what decisions went into the design of ranged combat that cause such issues and what ended up causing ranged combat to be nerfed so badly (well I know that repeater builds were a big issue in beta but that brings up issue 1 again).

BlueLightBandit
03-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Ranged combat has been in the bin since beta with only incremental advances done but no real plan, or rather one that was made public, to fix it so that ranged combat can appropriately add to the game.

Talk to Codog, he may disagree with you.

There's quite a few threads that were popular because of him actually listening to people and taking it upon himself to fix things above and beyond his normal job duties.

If it's still bugged, he wants to know. So please post your findings in the appropriate threads.