PDA

View Full Version : new spell: Call Marraenoloth

Angelus_dead
02-28-2008, 06:13 AM
As the Birthday Cake of Wishes demonstrates, DDO has the capability for a triggered effect to temporarily create a friendly NPC. Therefore, the following spell would be a good addition soon:

Call Marraenoloth: Conjuration Wiz/sor 8. VSM. Duration 2 min. Not usable in public, not usable in brawl.
A mercantile outsider is summoned to your location. This greedy creature refuses to fight, but will conduct trade, selling or buying miscellaneous items or assisting repairs. The prices it charges are higher than a mortal vendor would expect. Among its supplies are ammunition forged of cold iron or silver, plus scrolls of Call Marraenoloth.

Note that LOTRO includes the ability for player characters to spawn a vendor at their location, so the effect can be evaluated in that game. If a Marraenoloth seems thematically inappropriate, it could be changed to a variety of other outsiders, fey, or constructs.

Lithic
02-28-2008, 08:49 AM
I kinda like it, though its repair rates should be MUCH higher than outside quest repairererereres

10x or so.

Maybe only sumonable within haste distance of shrine.

And instead of scrolls, make a new recipe for mod 7 that lets us make a gem with 5 non-rechargable uses out of collectables, or w/e mod 7 crafting will use. That way we arent limited to casters summoning them.

GreyRogue
02-28-2008, 10:42 AM
I like this idea. I would probably put a long timer on the spell just to encourage people to enter the dungeon prepared rather than relying on a summoned merchant. Of course, this wouldn't be nearly as exciting if we could repair our own gear inside a quest (something that the devs have mentioned favorably, I believe).

Mad_Bombardier
02-28-2008, 11:42 AM
I like the idea, but not the Marraenoloth. A marraenoloth has nothing to do with commerce whatsoever and are ferrymen of the dead (and/or between the planes).

I'm really confused as to why it appears in the Shroud raid. But, I believe we are supposed to be confused. From the NPC text, it has no intention of telling us it's purpose. We simply benefit from it's presence. Maybe it's there to take the Devils home to Shavarath or to take us to Dolurrh when we fail. The Marraenoloth obviously has some agenda within the raid, but we should summon some other type of creature for a spell. :)

CrazySamaritan
02-28-2008, 11:50 AM
The appropriate spell is called Planar Ally.

Angelus_dead
02-28-2008, 11:58 AM
I like the idea, but not the Marraenoloth. A marraenoloth has nothing to do with commerce whatsoever
No. I will paraphrase the monster manual text: "Of all the yugoloths, marenoloths are the most neutral and least evil. Their mercenary natures lead them to act as paid transporters and messengers for demons, devils, and even some non-evil visitors. Customers are frequently misled or betrayed, but they are the closest thing to a fair dealer on the lower planes"

The word "mercenary" shares the root with "commerce".

Mad_Bombardier
02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
And keep reading, "Marraenoloths never carry cargo, only passengers." Mercenary in this usage means, "one who works for hire." You pay the Marraenoloth for travel between the planes.

Planar Ally spell works for me. Thanks, Crazy Samaritan! :)

@ Angelus_Dead, I like the idea, but disagree with the NPC. The Marraenoloth in the Shroud is special and has his own agenda. I think we should summon something different as a Planar Ally. I'll start looking to Eberron lore for a good alternative suggestion. :)