PDA

View Full Version : Need for larger inventory a no brainer

RobbinB
02-27-2008, 02:47 AM
If you had asked me over a year ago before the desert expansion the one change I would have liked to see, it would have been to get more inventory. Another row to each square, another column, an additional square (either just given or as favor rewards, doesnt really matter). I can see that the devs might have thought there were other priorities, but the desert came and went, then gianthold, then several updates, then the recent mod, and no significant changes (the sacks arent exactly helpful because although they give you more space they take up space at the same time). I had a hard time keeping stuff straight a year ago, now its just become intolerable. I hate trying to play my bard now, i can't carry half the stuff i would like and i've given up on trying to use ranged fighting, since i have no room for the bolts.

The inventory situation is getting so bad it's really becoming more than just a nuisance. Every time I run the new raid my inventory becomes full and I have to throw away the cheaper items I pick up due to all the ingredients and such in my inventory. That just seems ridiculous since all that is really needed is an additional row or column in each of the backpack slots. Personally, I would favor the option of making a separate inventory space for the different major categories of items (weapons, wearables, potions, wands/scrolls/ammunition, collectables/spell comps/gems), but I can see that many people might be against the idea. But I cant see anyone caring to much about having more inventory available, even if they themselves don't feel inclined to use it.

Really, how difficult would it be to code some more space compared to say changing Von 6 and the reaver every update? And not to point out the blatantly obvious, but the rate of ammunition consumption has seriously increased since Beta. I'm not sure that arrows shouldn't have come in 250's or 500's back then, but now having stacks of 100 is just laughable.

We need more inventory. I just thought I'd restate the obvious point. I really expected that the devs would address this a few centons ago, am I the only one?

Uska
02-27-2008, 02:51 AM
I would rather see us have more storage but carry less on our characters(ok flame me) I am more of an rpger and would to realistic carry limits. but large storage vaults and houses where can display our treasusres.

Ithrani
02-27-2008, 03:01 AM
Mod 4 made extra inventory space a bit easier to get through the gianthold favor instead of having to find or pay for a portable hole. And 5 backpack spots was good but it does seem now that it is getting more difficult to carry all the things you may need and have room for loot. Since mod 5 dropped all the containers on us, and sure you don't need to carry them always but hey bank spots aren't unlimited or free either, things have become unbalanced. Arrows are harder to carry, but I always felt that stacks of 100 was kind of silly, now a stack of 100 goes very quickly. BAB's have gone up, more arrows and bolts get fired and so a ranger needs 500 just to get through a day of play. Quiver of Ehlonna DDO style anyone? Yeah more space would be nice, at least one more would be great. Doesn't have to be a whole row. Make it like bank slots more favor, cost more to fix the 2nd portable hole and the 3rd more so, so on and so forth. I have CPH's collecting dust whats their use anymore really, I have more then enough for 4-5 new characters.

Ithrani
02-27-2008, 03:09 AM
I would rather see us have more storage but carry less on our characters(ok flame me) I am more of an rpger and would to realistic carry limits. but large storage vaults and houses where can display our treasusres.

I like it, just that DDO and PnP sometimes really do need to make a stretch in rules. But they idea that you could store stuff in a house or vault is cool, I really never liked the bank much in DDO just seems like a backpack extension. Ultima Online had storage inside houses and a bank chest to store stuff in as well. Maybe guild houses could have storage devices and allow teleports and word of recall to take people back to the guild house quickly.

Uska
02-27-2008, 03:44 AM
I like it, just that DDO and PnP sometimes really do need to make a stretch in rules. But they idea that you could store stuff in a house or vault is cool, I really never liked the bank much in DDO just seems like a backpack extension. Ultima Online had storage inside houses and a bank chest to store stuff in as well. Maybe guild houses could have storage devices and allow teleports and word of recall to take people back to the guild house quickly.

yes teleport and word of recall back to house or vault be pretty safe to go there as it would be well known but the return trip to where were should have some risk of mishap be like old school teleport. I dont know how much trouble it would be for them to allow this but it would be very dnd like

Lokbar
02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
I was happy to see somewhere that material spell component pouches were in the works.
Sad to not see a magical quiver planned. Been playing my first ranged based guy (14barb/2ranger = fun change) and its rough sometimes.
100% returning arrow raid loot would be the best :D

esoitl
02-27-2008, 09:12 AM

agreed
to be realistic about things we have way too much space to carry things

the only thing i'd like to see them implement to save us space is give out more bags :)

a quiver, scrollcase, component sack, and tool sack is all they need same as they have for everything else - 20 unique 100 max stacks

should clear up everything just fine IMO

Oreg
02-27-2008, 09:12 AM

I like that. Or instanced housing with weapon and armor racks, cabinets for potions and scrolls etc.,

RichD
02-27-2008, 10:54 AM

I'm all for that sort of realism, as soon as they give us reasonable ways of carrying small items (e.g., wands). They have started that with some of the bags but we aren't there yet. The real issue comes from the fact that a person can carry 30 longswords or 30 wands interchangeably.

villainsimple
02-27-2008, 11:57 AM
We don't need more space.

We need more organization.

Yvonne_Blacksword
02-27-2008, 01:04 PM
We don't need more space.

We need more organization.
SPACE!

villainsimple
02-27-2008, 01:10 PM
SPACE!

Trust me, it's more about organization than space. Is there a reason you need to carry around 19 suits of armor, and 23 weapons you don't use (as in vendor/auction junk?) No. But you do. Why? because auctioning stuff by pouring through your inventory is a pain in the ass.

Crarites
02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
For a nominal fee I could make available some space to store your items. Please send a pm and we can work-out a plat payment shedule as well as a name you can send your items to.

Disclaimer : The Kundarak Bankers do not insure property held within its vaults.

binnsr
02-27-2008, 01:22 PM
Honestly, I don't really care if its better organization or more space .. Between weapons, potions, scrolls, wands and swap-out equipment, my TWF rogue often only has 10 or so pack slots available for looting .. Just the other day, I vendored off both paralizers, both Weakening/Enfeebling and a bunch of my random off-hand weapons just to get more space.

Even my Fighter is getting to where he's out of space (something I thought would never happen) .. he's got an entire inventory panel full of swap-out gear - 3 sets of FP (deathblock, blueshine and mithril), 4 cloaks, 2 belts, 4 rings, 2 gloves, 3 necklaces, etc. etc.. and that doesn't include the two pages of weapons (should firesale a few of those :) and potions.

I've only got one character that carries a ranged weapon other than a returner because I just can't spare the inventory space for arrows - and that character is a lvl5 repeater user who burns up 2000+ bolts every night that I play her (thanks to the phantom shot bug mostly!).

Erinyes
02-27-2008, 05:36 PM
I'd put my votes as:

More on person inventory space - no

More bank space - Fair idea, if they made us work for it. More bank space would hopefully take care of inventory issues for most. Otherwise, if you want to carry a weapon for every possible situation at any time, the cost is your inventory space, at least IMO. My ranger carries 47 weapons, wands, four levels of components, at least one swap out item for each equipment slot, bolts and arrows. I never have major space issues, unless I forget to sell after a quest.

Quivers - isn't a stack of 100 equal to/more than what a standard quiver would hold anyway? Besides, adding the arcane archer enhancement list sorta fixed the ammo issue, at least for arrows. Also, we have the House D 75% returners. If you want specialty arrows/bolts, you should have special space for them - least they get confused when you reach in the quiver of holding, and you waste your Greater Evil Outsider Slayers on a rat. :p

Components - Very small items, sure, but wouldn't they need to be kept separate? If you mix all the little hairs, feet and eyes balls together by mistake, it might explode in your face when you try to cast! :eek:

Scroll cases - This seems like it might be ok, but how much should a scroll case hold to make it reasonable? Think of how much space 200 heal scrolls would actually take up in a backpack. hehehe

Tools - I could see making them stack to 100, just because almost everything else does.

So over all, yay for more bank space! I have a lot of fun little items that clutter my bank because I just think they are too cool to throw away, even though I might never use them again.

Personally, I'm still thanking the DDO gods for collectible, gem and ingredient bags :D

JFeenstra
02-27-2008, 06:28 PM
Scroll cases - This seems like it might be ok, but how much should a scroll case hold to make it reasonable? Think of how much space 200 heal scrolls would actually take up in a backpack. hehehei'd say up to 1000 scrolls, any type...scrolls are SMALL and LIGHT...how much paper can you carry? two or three books worth would be nothing weight or size wise, especially with people carrying 30+ weapons and 5+ sets of armor

Tools - I could see making them stack to 100, just because almost everything else does.or just get rid of the need for multiple tools all together...instead make a single set of tools with various enhancements like magic items, but limit them to the skills they already have (DD, OL) with various stats, so you could get a set of +8 DD tools or a set of +5DD/+5OL or whatnot, based on the lvl req of the tools. better tools are obviously harder to find and require more skill to use, and it'd free up a ton of rogue inv space. i know mine keeps around 400 +5 tools around all the time which would give me 6 free spaces free if i just had 2 sets of perm tools. obviously they'd take damage like any other item does from use, and if the trap blows up they get destroyed (or at least a few points of perm damage)...just a thought though

as far as arrows, it'd be nice if the arrow stack size was increased to 1000/stack, considering a repeater ranger will go through 1000+ bolts on your average lvl 14-16 quest, especially if they're using multishot a lot, and carrying 1/2 an inv full of ammo is a little excessive although necessary in this situation

components are fine...9 inv spaces for lvl 1-8 components + diamond dust is reasonable enough seeing as how there's not much else a caster *really* needs...of course most carry a few other items, scrolls and wands, that's to be expected...having 20+ open inv spaces isn't difficult with a caster

Invalid_86
02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
I am all for more space- but using the actual encumberance rules and strength limits.

Ringos
02-27-2008, 07:14 PM
I would be for a more realistic limit on the weight we can carry if it meant getting more space. Either that or introduce quivers, componet bags, scroll cases, potion containers etc. That would probably be my choice if it is possible.

RazorrX
02-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Arrows are harder to carry, but I always felt that stacks of 100 was kind of silly, now a stack of 100 goes very quickly. BAB's have gone up, more arrows and bolts get fired and so a ranger needs 500 just to get through a day of play. Quiver of Ehlonna DDO style anyone?

Ummm I go through 3 to 4 times that a night easy. One good round in the desert and I can use 1000 to 1500 arrows. A day of play sees me purchasing around 6k arrows. I usually have at best one empty tab when I go adventuring.

binnsr
02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Ummm I go through 3 to 4 times that a night easy. One good round in the desert and I can use 1000 to 1500 arrows. A day of play sees me purchasing around 6k arrows. I usually have at best one empty tab when I go adventuring.

My lvl5 fighter/ranger burned 1500 bolts and half of a flame arrow wand in a single tangleroot run the other night. I don't even want to think about how many she'll use at cap and playing all day..

BrotherAsmodi
02-28-2008, 09:52 AM
While more space on our characters would be nice, its breaks an immutable law that exists in the DnD world. That law is, "you cannot put an extra-dimensional space inside of another without catastophic results."

So since we have multiple bag-of-holdings (backpacks and collectable-bags) and portable-holes I think we are okay. What I would like to see is a reducting in encumbrence when something is placed in our invetory.

Yvonne_Blacksword
02-28-2008, 10:17 AM
BTW...this is not a brag...I assume many powergamers/non casual gamers...collectors of rare shineys...
have much more than this in their inventories.
I only have 4 of greater banes...elemental, giant, dragon, undead

my level 15 fighter has something like a 34 STR...
carries regular type(a spare for bad days), death block, blueshine and fearsome(for soloing) armor
carries +5 ady of something and a deathblock shield.
1 each of greater fire, acid, cold, elec resist cloaks and a ring fo GR cold.
poison proof and a disease immunity tradeout item
kardins, mumified bat, pendant of time, thrak fang, bloodstone trinket..
Various special use weapons; banisher, vorpal, greater undead bane, transmuting, bodyfeeder, 1 ranged, 100 arrows disrupter
various multi use weapons; paralizer, wounder, elemental bane, elemental attributes (+5 fire, ice, holy, acid, elect, good)(+<5combo, burst, of good atribute( example: bane))
a couple of named unbound; whirlwind, Invaders! bastard sword
...the weapons range from 2 handed to martial to exotic--bastard and kopesh
small colletion, ingedient, gem bags, shield piece holder, tome piece holder, signet holder,(I threw some of them away...need space!)
a small stock of acid resist, remove disese, remove curse, lesser restore, candy canes
Dex boots, dragon boots, spiked boots, running boots
Various clickies; heroism, rage, aid type(for re animating the incapped) ,
a large stock of cure serious pots (50-200)
Blah blah blah blah blah...the blahs alone take up a full bag...lol
...vender trash?
after all is said and done I have 5-10 spots left to loot chests.
I do not wear dragon armor, I have 1 piece of raid loot..(It is my theory that I do not need raid loot to be nearly uber...)

so...do I need space?
yes
could I carry more?
he.. yeah!

BTW...bank is full. Not of vender trash...
maybe 10 weapons, 5 cloaks, 20 jewelery, a couple armors... saved until their ultimate recipient levels a little
And a could of semi uber exotics saved for the person who wanted it but I cant remember who...lol.

Zorth
02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
In pencil and paper my fighter had 50 catupults carried in his backpack. That is ridiculous right. This game can't get ridiculous like that so limited inventory is a must and makes the game challenging. If we get more space its going to be ridiculous. P.S. I like the word ridiculous.

Yvonne_Blacksword
02-28-2008, 10:24 AM
While more space on our characters would be nice, its breaks an immutable law that exists in the DnD world. That law is, "you cannot put an extra-dimensional space inside of another without catastophic results."

So since we have multiple bag-of-holdings (backpacks and collectable-bags) and portable-holes I think we are okay. What I would like to see is a reducting in encumbrence when something is placed in our invetory.

Wait...the first 3 back pack spots were regular back pack...non magical.. The second 2 were magical?...right?
I seriously doubt that the collectors bags/frames are extra dimentional. especially the small ones..

I am sure that component bags (when we get them) would be carried at the waist...or somewhere accessable rather than in a backpack...

Reduction in encumberance would be probable but a bag of holding still weighs as much as the stuff in it...at least it is supposed to...right?

My DM cheated and as long as it wasnt excesively loaded it weighed noting...as much as the bag itself...(That dragon hoard was sooooo portable!!!...lol...)

Talon_Moonshadow
02-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Right now I would settle for those extra two bank tabs!

But other concerns are spell components.....we should have a bag.

And crafting components bag is too small. I have yet to find medium bags for sale......I think you can get one as a favor reward, but I think that should be a large one and medium ones should be able to be bought.

Those things alone would go a long way.

Quivers and scroll cases and wand cases would be very nice as well. I'm like to see wands stack at least, but i really think there should be a wand quiver/case of some sort. Seems you should be reuired to actually pull a wand out of a case to use it, but it is a smal litem that should stack nicely in some sort of case.

Arrows already stack, and there are two options for returning arrows, but still it would be very nice to have a place to store special arrows until I need them.

My lvl 4 guy does not need gnoll bane arrows until lvl10 or so for instance......and they take up a lot of room!

Invalid_93
02-28-2008, 10:44 AM
How about Kargons bag O Tasty Ham Holding ... you get an extra bag but the delicious smell emitted from the bag stuns you for 12 seconds every time you open it. No hot swapping gear from that bag allowed

Riggs
02-28-2008, 01:45 PM
More bank slots would really be useful. At least you could swap out quest specific items...rather than carry everything because the bank provides less storage space than your backpack...(well it is a small portable hole granted...but still)

I would be happy to pay more plat for 1-2 more bank slots.

Oh and make weapons hotbar to the off hand....7 two weapon slots is not nearly enough...

BrotherAsmodi
02-28-2008, 02:03 PM

Agreed!!

I have yet to find medium bags for sale

You can buy Medium bags at the General Vendor in the Portable Hole and in House P.

Oreg
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Right now I would settle for those extra two bank tabs!

And crafting components bag is too small. I have yet to find medium bags for sale......I think you can get one as a favor reward, but I think that should be a large one and medium ones should be able to be bought.

Those things alone would go a long way.

Quivers and scroll cases and wand cases would be very nice as well. I'm like to see wands stack at least, but i really think there should be a wand quiver/case of some sort. Seems you should be reuired to actually pull a wand out of a case to use it, but it is a smal litem that should stack nicely in some sort of case.

Arrows already stack, and there are two options for returning arrows, but still it would be very nice to have a place to store special arrows until I need them.

My lvl 4 guy does not need gnoll bane arrows until lvl10 or so for instance......and they take up a lot of room!

you can buy them in the Portable hole.

*edit* damn missed above post. oh well.

unionyes
02-28-2008, 03:17 PM
More backpack slots would be great, with a few other changes.

First, make big things take up more than one slot. A wand of CLW should not take up the same backpack space as a suit of armor, or 100 arrows for that matter. A ring should not take the same physical space as a falchion. Is it realistic for someone to carry around 4 suits of armor and 20+ large weapons? Maybe, but man would they be slow moving just from the bulk. On the other hand, would it be unreasonable to figure that you should be able to carry 20 rings (why I don't know, just as I don't know why you would carry 20 large weapons) without running out of backpack space?

I know the rationale with things like portable holes, but even they should have limits. A balance needs to be struck between being able to carry everything you could possibly ever need in your backpack, and not making it a pain to have to go to the bank between every quest to switch out weapons or gear.

Tallyn
02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
Wait...the first 3 back pack spots were regular back pack...non magical.. The second 2 were magical?...right?
I seriously doubt that the collectors bags/frames are extra dimentional. especially the small ones..

I am sure that component bags (when we get them) would be carried at the waist...or somewhere accessable rather than in a backpack...

Reduction in encumberance would be probable but a bag of holding still weighs as much as the stuff in it...at least it is supposed to...right?

My DM cheated and as long as it wasnt excesively loaded it weighed noting...as much as the bag itself...(That dragon hoard was sooooo portable!!!...lol...)

Well... in pen and paper the two major types of holding items are a Portable Hole and a Bag of Holding.

Portable Hole's weight is negligible, and it can hold quite a LOT.

A Bag of Holding's weight and capacity are according to the chart below:

Type I, Weighs 15 lb., Holds up to 250 lb. of weight or 30 cu. ft. of space
Type II, Weighs 25 lb., Holds up to 500 lb. of weight or 70 cu. ft. of space
Type III, Weighs 35 lb., Holds up to 1,000 lb. of weight or 150 cu. ft. of space
Type IV, Weighs 60 lb., Holds up to 1,500 lb. of weight or 250 cu. ft. of space

smacko
03-01-2008, 04:27 AM
I'd like it if more bank space could be bought or earned through favor. Additional limited bags for wands, scrolls or arrows/bolts would be nice.

What about these alternatives? The bank could b accessible from all mailboxes. Also, DEV's could strategically place coin lord NPC's inside certain quests (especially those with lots of loot) who can deposit items into your bank account (possibly for a small fee). I would think in-quest bank withdrawls wouldn't make sense, but deposits could reduce the problem of loot burden. I dunno, just my thoughts.

BlueLightBandit
03-01-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey, what about bags.

Not ingredient bags or collectible bags or component bags or tapestry bags. Just... a bag... that you put things in... anything in.

It'd have a usage timer, that takes a few seconds to open it up. So no hotswapping from things IN the bag, but it'll hold em just fine.

It doesn't require any additional artwork or game design, no modifications to the inventory screen, not that I see at least. It'll take a little finesse work on the coding side to make things non-hot-swappable... but it's pretty much what people are looking for.

RobbinB
03-05-2008, 07:12 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Well I can certainly appreciate that the die-hard RPGers and PnP old-schoolers would like to limit inventory or at least make it adhere to some sort of realistic encumbrance, I think the ship sailed on that one long ago. And DDO is a loot-based game, you shouldn't have to pass up a piece of treasure just because you happen to be a wizard (oops my str of 8 means picking up that +5 plate armor means I can't move anymore) or a ranger (well I would like to grab that sword to sell later but all my inventory is full of the silver arrows I need to kill the pit fiend later). But in terms of priorities the arrow situation would probably have to be at the top of the list. And 2 easy solutions, either quivers or larger stack sizes, whichever is easier to code.

As far as the couple of comments regarding organization, I would definitely love to see that. I'm not really a fan of the way the inventory all gets muddled together. Organizing yourself doesn't really help, because when you use an item it just goes back in the first available spot. I would like to see 5 general categories: wpns, wearables, potions, wands/scrolls/ammunition, and miscellaneous. Problem is you would need more overall inventory space to compensate classes for the fact that a particular class might have a lot more of one type of inventory item than another. Or maybe could make organized inventory a toggled choice, like whether you want class-based loot or not.

binnsr
03-05-2008, 08:46 PM
But in terms of priorities the arrow situation would probably have to be at the top of the list. And 2 easy solutions, either quivers or larger stack sizes, whichever is easier to code.

Might I refer you to this: http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=1598660&postcount=81

Muppethero
03-05-2008, 09:49 PM
the Handy Haversacks are Cheap in PnP game and a MUST for DDO!

Naso24
03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
agreed
to be realistic about things we have way too much space to carry things

the only thing i'd like to see them implement to save us space is give out more bags :)

a quiver, scrollcase, component sack, and tool sack is all they need same as they have for everything else - 20 unique 100 max stacks

should clear up everything just fine IMO

I disagree. Much of our inventory space comes from magical enhancement (portable holes). Much of the inventory space is taken up by trinkets, spell components, and other things. You could carry 25 suits of full plate, or 25 daggers. It's all the same space wise. It doesn't and shouldn't make complete sense. It should be fun and manageable. Less time should be wasted managing inventory, instead of questing.

RTN
03-06-2008, 09:30 AM
As they give us more items to store items that take up inventory space (tome, sigil, tapestries, gem bags, collectible bags, ingredient bags, etc.), it would be nice to get more space. They made these things to help with the grind and storage, but at the same time, it makes for more things taking up space! I'd love an extra inventory tab. The bank spaces should be no brainers since there is already space for more tabs.

Issip
03-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Trust me, it's more about organization than space. Is there a reason you need to carry around 19 suits of armor, and 23 weapons you don't use (as in vendor/auction junk?) No. But you do. Why? because auctioning stuff by pouring through your inventory is a pain in the ass.

The number of items you truly have to carry with you depends upon your toon. My casters do fine, but my ranger/rogue/fighter mutts have a more difficult time. I need to carry thieve's tools as they are fully functional rogues, but that also means items for search, disable device, and open lock. These toons are full ranged spec with multishot as well - so that means a selection of bows (gotta at least have destruction, paralyzing, smiting, banishing, high dps, another high dps with different bonuses for mobs that are immune to your best high DPS weapon). Then the mobs all have DR now, so you wnat to have silver, cold iron, adamantine, etc.. Of course while multishot is in cooldown and you are in tight quarters you need to have melee capability, which means all the same special bows you need a finessable melee counterpart - so another set of weapons. Now to complete a levle 16 quest on elite you can expect to use at least 500 75% returning arrows (house D favor). Every time you need more arrows you have to go to the vendor at house D (or you could use non-returning arrows and take at least 1500 for each quest). People like the ranger to keep barkskin on everyone, and to do so I need a magi item for spell points, and some chameileon tails so I can cast jump. Sometimes you need greater resist items for when your buffs are getting dispelled and mobs are hitting you with elemental damage so plan for a set of greater resist items: Fire, Cold, Acid, Elec, and Sonic. Dont forget feather fall and underwater action - you have to have those! The list goes on....

Can I do without some of that? Not really. I can adjust my play style from optimal character capabilities to optimal inventory management but I prefer to have my toon fully functional. I could swap items at the bank for every quest I run, taking only what I need for that quest, assuming I have done the quest plenty and know exactly what I need, but since I'm already running to house D every quest or 2 (now from Meridia that's not a quick jaunt) I'm already taking nearly as much time doing inventory maintenence as I am in quests - and that's the problem.

I don't think the dev's ever intended that people spend as much time managing inventory as they do questing, and rightly so, the more the time ratio shifts toward constant inventory maintenence the less fun the overall experience is. With no real increase in inventory for the last 18 months it is getting difficult for a lot of toons out there.

This is a game, not a model of reality. I'm not asking for infinite inventory or any such silly thing, but for some toons there is a real problem that has been getting worse with every new item bag and every new thing you need to collect, and I do think it is reasonable to give us a way to increase our inventory.

Issip
03-07-2008, 12:00 PM

The number of items you truly have to carry with you depends upon your toon. My casters do fine, but my ranger/rogue/fighter mutts have a more difficult time. I need to carry thieve's tools as they are fully functional rogues, but that also means items for search, disable device, and open lock. These toons are full ranged spec with multishot as well - so that means a selection of bows (gotta at least have destruction, paralyzing, smiting, banishing, high dps, another high dps with different bonuses for mobs that are immune to your best high DPS weapon). Then the mobs all have DR now, so you wnat to have silver, cold iron, adamantine, etc.. Of course while multishot is in cooldown and you are in tight quarters you need to have melee capability, which means all the same special bows you need a finessable melee counterpart - so another set of weapons. Now to complete a levle 16 quest on elite you can expect to use at least 500 75% returning arrows (house D favor). Every time you need more arrows you have to go to the vendor at house D (or you could use non-returning arrows and take at least 1500 for each quest). People like the ranger to keep barkskin on everyone, and to do so I need a magi item for spell points, and some chameileon tails so I can cast jump. Sometimes you need greater resist items for when your buffs are getting dispelled and mobs are hitting you with elemental damage so plan for a set of greater resist items: Fire, Cold, Acid, Elec, and Sonic. Dont forget feather fall and underwater action - you have to have those! The list goes on....

Can I do without some of that? Not really. I can adjust my play style from optimal character capabilities to optimal inventory management but I prefer to have my toon fully functional. I could swap items at the bank for every quest I run, taking only what I need for that quest, assuming I have done the quest plenty and know exactly what I need, but since I'm already running to house D every quest or 2 (now from Meridia that's not a quick jaunt) I'm already taking nearly as much time doing inventory maintenence as I am in quests - and that's the problem.

I don't think the dev's ever intended that people spend as much time managing inventory as they do questing, and rightly so, the more the time ratio shifts toward constant inventory maintenence the less fun the overall experience is. With no real increase in inventory for the last 18 months it is getting difficult for a lot of toons out there.

This is a game, not a model of reality. I'm not asking for infinite inventory or any such silly thing, but for some toons there is a real problem that has been getting worse with every new item bag and every new thing you need to collect, and I do think it is reasonable to give us a way to increase our inventory.