PDA

View Full Version : I would like a brief Character sheet on log in

Emanon67
02-26-2008, 11:19 AM
I think a brief character sheet listing your stats and what your wearing on the left hand side of your character would be very handy. Be able to log into the character select screen and see how your characters are doing without having to log all the way into the game.

Falco_Easts
02-26-2008, 04:40 PM
/Signed

VirieSquichie
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
This wouldn't help me all that much, but a little icon next to each character's name on the log in screen that indicates if they have (confirmed) mail would help me enormously.

I have several characters that I only play occasionally, but I must still log them in to check their mail quite often. Seems like a lot of time spent for nothing when they don't, in fact, have new mail.

Akhad_Durn
02-26-2008, 06:47 PM
This wouldn't help me all that much, but a little icon next to each character's name on the log in screen that indicates if they have (confirmed) mail would help me enormously.

I have several characters that I only play occasionally, but I must still log them in to check their mail quite often. Seems like a lot of time spent for nothing when they don't, in fact, have new mail.

I'll second this. Nothing more annoying than having to log into characters to check if I've forgotten about mail I've sent them. :rolleyes:

Sheezgame
02-26-2008, 08:40 PM
Kinda pointless, while it would be nice at least put it at the bottom of the 'to-do' list. I would rather things be fixed and content be added than extra features for the lazy/impatient people

Emanon67
02-27-2008, 11:55 AM
It is not pointless or for the lazy. I think it would help out a lot for transferring your wares between your characters. Log in once able to see your characters and say I need to transfer this item and this item to this character and that character.

Being able to manage your characters all at the login screen would be highly beneficial. You would still need to log into said character to mail your items around, but being able to do so all at one time would speed up your time.

Log into 1st character and mail 3 items to 3 seperate characters, log into 2nd character pick up your mail and mail out 2 more items to seperate characters, would save so much time in your item transfer.

Hambo
02-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd like to see a character "snapshot" button, that would download a file to your machine containing all of the characteristics and inventory stats of your alt, even if it was only in CSV format.

I would love to be able to generate lists offline to determine what items to send to other alts, sell, etc. and the CSV format would allow us to use spreadsheets, databases or even just text editors to keep track.

Having the info in CSV format would also make it a lot easier to plug your alt into something like the DDO Character generator, so you could play around with the future alt config or even documemt an appropriate respec.

VirieSquichie
02-27-2008, 05:04 PM
I'd like to see a character "snapshot" button, that would download a file to your machine containing all of the characteristics and inventory stats of your alt, even if it was only in CSV format.

I would love to be able to generate lists offline to determine what items to send to other alts, sell, etc. and the CSV format would allow us to use spreadsheets, databases or even just text editors to keep track.

Having the info in CSV format would also make it a lot easier to plug your alt into something like the DDO Character generator, so you could play around with the future alt config or even documemt an appropriate respec.

YES! This would be far more helpful than a simplified snapshot, which by its very nature wouldn't be able to tell you about the 170+ items your character may have stored in inventory, in the bank, worn...

CSV format may not be the best way to export whole characters, however. I'm thinking XML. Probably done via message-window command so we wouldn't clutter any in-game interfaces with a button that only a very small percentage of the population would understand the use of.

Sheezgame
02-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Surely you would rather this development time spent on more content and other things? I know I would

BlueLightBandit
02-28-2008, 08:00 AM
It is not pointless or for the lazy.

And thus the remote control begins the decline of a civilization that works to provide for itself. Now we have the "modern man" who can admit to it's laziness while crying to it's biological mother that things are just "too hard" and gives up, so the rest of the village starves to death.

/sarcasm on
Nicely said Emanon, It's not pointless if you can help those who are ABLE to help themselves, but refuse.
/sarcasm off

If you're ABLE to do it, you don't need help. This change only benefits the lazy, and I think the lazy need to get off their respective back sides and stop complaining.

Corran99
02-28-2008, 08:33 AM
I would like that but I would like this more.

Character Exporting (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=79922)

MysticTheurge
02-28-2008, 08:34 AM
Surely you would rather this development time spent on more content and other things? I know I would

Given that the game can already create a "Character Sheet" it seems like it ought to not be that much work to get it to access that character sheet from the login screen. (Which of course, could be entirely wrong for reasons that are unclear to those of us on the "outside.")

Still, it would be a nice UI addition, and yes, I do think a better UI is often worth the development time.

arminius
02-28-2008, 08:36 AM
YES! This would be far more helpful than a simplified snapshot, which by its very nature wouldn't be able to tell you about the 170+ items your character may have stored in inventory, in the bank, worn...

CSV format may not be the best way to export whole characters, however. I'm thinking XML. Probably done via message-window command so we wouldn't clutter any in-game interfaces with a button that only a very small percentage of the population would understand the use of.

The ability to export characters, inventory, and the adventure compendium has been my hobby horse since day one. The differences between the formats, I think, would be that I believe you can export to csv or tab-delimited values by simply piggybacking on APIs that already exist in all post-Win95 versions of Windows. One could export to xls by piggybacking on all versions of Office, but one might only be able to export to xml by piggybacking only Office 2003 or beyond.

Otherwise they'd have to include their own code, or most likely Microsoft or other 3d party redistributables in their own DDO installation. However, even that is simple enough and wouldn't even involve licensing fees that I know of (esp. since SOAP and XML are supposed to be adopted as universal open standards). It would be a great benefit to just about everyone in the planning and maintenance of characters.

And it is just SO D+D. Much of D+D involves the loving fetishizing of the Character Sheet. In all my groups, I think we spent more time doing that than actually playing! So this ability is sorely missed.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Even Barbie Princess Dress Up games have the inherent ability to export and print. Why not DDO?

_

Hambo
03-01-2008, 03:04 PM

I was thinking CSV because more people would probably be able to deal with that format, but XML works too (I'm just not used to considering it an option yet). The button to send the file could be implemented on the first alt selection screen, before going in game... This way you could get all of your data without actually creating a presence on your "world".

Hambo
03-01-2008, 03:27 PM
I would like that but I would like this more.

Character Exporting (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=79922)

This is what I was referring to, but rather than generate, say, a PDF file with a static indicator of your character's current status, you'd get a file that could easily be imported into other programs such as spreadsheets, databases or other programs. It could contain all of that alt's information, including equipped items, pack inventory, spells, bank, descriptions, etc.

Using a standard file format such as CSV or XML would simplify importing the data into other programs. Since all the info would be available you could use as little or as much of it as you want. I'm sure that at least spreadsheets would be posted for people to use, and prabably even a script to convert the information into the DDO character generator format so you wouldn't have to try to recreate the alt from scratch to plan future configuration.

All of the info is there, it should be simple to collect and save to the local system in a standard usable format.