PDA

View Full Version : Ram's Might not working correctly.

Geonis
02-24-2008, 10:51 PM
I have a lowbie Ranger, and picked up the Ram's Might spell, as it is supposed to add (size bonus) +2 Str and +2 Damage.

I have been using this with my Repeater Ranger, and it only adds 1 point of damage.

Dylos_Moon
02-24-2008, 11:00 PM
I have a lowbie Ranger, and picked up the Ram's Might spell, as it is supposed to add (size bonus) +2 Str and +2 Damage.

I have been using this with my Repeater Ranger, and it only adds 1 point of damage.

I have noticed when using a bow or sword on my ranger that rams might is adding +2 to str, and +2 to damage, however, one of the +2 damage bonus seems to be from the increased str rather then from the spell itself. This would result in weapons that don't increase in damage with an increase of strength (crossbows) to only gain a +1 bonus to damage as you have witnessed.

I am also disappointed, because I thought the spell would give +2 str and +2 damage as it says (resulting in a total of +3 damage, +1 from increased str and +2 from the spells effect) rather then +2 str and +1 damage.

Geonis
02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
That is the result I expected.

It should be +1 damage from Str increase and +2 damage. Totaling the 3 points.

captain1z
02-25-2008, 04:17 AM

do you mean +1 with a repeater? Because your str should not affect xbow types as you know.

I have noticed the spell giving inconsistent bonus data..... I use and test the spell a lot...... I think its displaying wrong sometimes but when you actually look at the die roll or combat log everything appears fine. Thats just my xp so far.

like the spell very much.

Geonis
02-25-2008, 04:47 AM
do you mean +1 with a repeater? Because your str should not affect xbow types as you know.

I have noticed the spell giving inconsistent bonus data..... I use and test the spell a lot...... I think its displaying wrong sometimes but when you actually look at the die roll or combat log everything appears fine. Thats just my xp so far.

like the spell very much.

Yes, I mean only a +1 with the repeater, I know Str won't affect a crossbow. The spell description states +2 size bonus to Str and damage.

The point of the spell is that you actually increase in size a bit, causing your weapons to be a bit larger, thus causing more damage, and in the case of melee weapons a bit more because of the increase in Str.

Ghoste
02-25-2008, 05:07 AM

Since when did I get fired from your sig?!!!

Geonis
02-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Since when did I get fired from your sig?!!!

Sorry, I was trying a new sig, and it said too many characters.

So, I tryed trimming things down.

While editing, the quote was lost, and I did not want to just make something up.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/coldplay3434/sorry.jpg

negative
02-26-2008, 12:58 PM
I was fairly certain when I tested it that I was getting a +3 bonus to dmg when using melee (finesse) or my bow on my ranger. I'll look again.

'Course, I've never tried it w/ an xbow. If it's +3 from melee/bow it should be +2 for xbow or something is really wonky though.

QuantumFX
02-26-2008, 01:40 PM
The odd thing I've noticed is that Madstone Rage doesn't stack with Ram's Might when calculating a player's STR score.

Heladron
02-26-2008, 01:42 PM

Crossbows aren't supposed to add your strength are they? However you didn't specify if it was with a normal bow or the Repeater. I'm inferring the repeater from you build type.

walsh
02-26-2008, 01:45 PM
The odd thing I've noticed is that Madstone Rage doesn't stack with Ram's Might when calculating a player's STR score.

it does on my rgr and with regular rage

QuantumFX
02-26-2008, 02:07 PM
it does on my rgr and with regular rage

Same here. Madstone's something different though. Unless I'm missing something Madstone grants a +4 STR/+4 CON. When I cast Ram's Might my STR score is 22 Base +2 Inherent +8 Enhancement (+6 Braciers and Ram's Might) = 32 STR. For Madstone it's 22 Base +2 Inherent +10 Enhancement (+6 Braciers and +4 Madstone) = 34 STR.

AquilaNav
02-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Madstone rage gives you a +2 STR, +4 CON, +4 AC(natural bonus), and increased melee attack speed. NOT +4/+4. If you look at your numbers again you will see that you are getting the correct boost to STR with Madstone. +2.

DeadlyGazebo
02-26-2008, 02:22 PM

Er, it currently gives +1, +2, or +3 to damage depending on your caster level.

It should be fixed soon, though I'm not sure if that will be a change to the effect or to the description.

Angelus_dead
02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Er, it currently gives +1, +2, or +3 to damage depending on your caster level.
It should be fixed soon, though I'm not sure if that will be a change to the effect or to the description.
Allowing rangers to get a +3 damage buff spell at level 4 is overpowered. Probably either the description should be changed to entrench the lower damage at lower caster level, or the duration should be reduced to much less than 1 min/level.

MysticTheurge
02-26-2008, 02:34 PM
...or the duration should be reduced to much less than 1 min/level.

This one makes more sense, if you ask me.

Yaga_Nub
02-26-2008, 02:36 PM

Actually I think it should be changed to a 2nd level spell instead of first. Other than that it's fine the way it is.

On second thought, keep it the way it is now but change it to be more effective the higher in level the caster is like Barkskin.

Malachi_Stormlight2
02-26-2008, 03:50 PM
So letting Rangers manage to get about as much extra damage as a low level fighter can with his enhancments is over powered. Especially when ranged speed/damage is still signifcantly less then melee. Please dont Nerf the spell.

Shade
02-26-2008, 03:51 PM
On second thought, keep it the way it is now but change it to be more effective the higher in level the caster is like Barkskin.

huh.. Acording to deadlygazebo it already works that way.

I don't play a ranger so can't say I care how it works either way.

Shade
02-26-2008, 03:56 PM
So letting Rangers manage to get about as much extra damage as a low level fighter can with his enhancments is over powered. Especially when ranged speed/damage is still signifcantly less then melee. Please dont Nerf the spell.

Ftr greater wep spec +4 dmg (1handed, bow, 2handed, any style)
High lvl ranger rams might +4 dmg (1handed or bow)
Ftr str 3 +1.5 dmg
Ranger Favored enemy .. Pretty high, max at like +10 dmg i think?

So no rangers still do less dmg, unless vs there favored enemies in which case they do a ton more.

Ranged combats is not ranger, 2 different things, so not something they should balance for as a class. A fighter who splashs a lvl or 2 of ranger is a far superior ranged combatant.

The way the spell is now just hurts those who splash 4 ranger lvls just for rams might, but helps high lvl rangers.

Darth_Sizzle
02-26-2008, 04:33 PM
Allowing rangers to get a +3 damage buff spell at level 4 is overpowered. Probably either the description should be changed to entrench the lower damage at lower caster level, or the duration should be reduced to much less than 1 min/level.

In the text you quoted it says, +1, +2, or +3 depending on your caster level....meaning it's not +3 damage at level 4 (unless you believe the damage goes down as your caster level goes up :eek:)

Kerr
02-26-2008, 05:20 PM

*rolls up newspaper*

*THWAPS MT*

BAD MT! BAD MT! Don't say that!

MysticTheurge
02-26-2008, 10:52 PM
*rolls up newspaper*

*THWAPS MT*

BAD MT! BAD MT! Don't say that!

Well, honestly. Doing both also makes sense.

I mean compare it with Divine Favor, which offers a +1/+2/+3 luck bonus to attack and damage for 1 minute flat.

Ram's might could give a +1/+2/+3 size bonus to damage and a +2 size bonus to strength for 1 minute flat and be a fairly comparable spell.

geoffhanna
02-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Please don't bite the spell duration. The last thing anyone needs is another ranger spell that NEVER gets cast.

Making it 2nd level would be okay though...

Here's a thought:

level 1 spell : Rams Might +1 size and +1 str
level 2 spell : Improved Rams Might +2 size and +2 str
level 3 spell : Greater Rams Might +3 size and +3 str
level 4 spell : Superior Rams Might +4 size and +4 str

On second thought... nevermind its hard enough to be a ranger :D Leave it alone.

Aeneas
02-27-2008, 08:58 AM
imo ram's might was a concession to str based rangers who could care less about ranger dex enh.

Yaga_Nub
02-27-2008, 09:36 AM
huh.. Acording to deadlygazebo it already works that way.

I don't play a ranger so can't say I care how it works either way.

You're right, I should have been more clear. Make it work exactly like Barkskin with the caster break points a 4, 8 and 12.

Yes it might already be like that but DG doesn't say where the caster level break points are so I'm voting for 4, 8 and 12.

MrCow
02-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Yes it might already be like that but DG doesn't say where the caster level break points are so I'm voting for 4, 8 and 12.

The break points look like 3/6/9 as my recently leveled 9 ranger/6 bard got a small boost in damage upon getting that 9th level. Lets also not forget that Ram's Might is also a druid spell when taking into account a few of the things being talked about.

Yaga_Nub
02-27-2008, 10:28 AM
The break points look like 3/6/9 as my recently leveled 9 ranger/6 bard got a small boost in damage upon getting that 9th level. Lets also not forget that Ram's Might is also a druid spell when taking into account a few of the things being talked about.

That doesn't make any sense because a ranger can't even cast spells at level 3.

Mad_Bombardier
02-27-2008, 10:55 AM
That doesn't make any sense because a ranger can't even cast spells at level 3.No, but it would match the Divine Favor increases (L1/L6/L9).

MysticTheurge
02-27-2008, 12:10 PM
That doesn't make any sense because a ranger can't even cast spells at level 3.

But druids can.

Yaga_Nub
02-27-2008, 12:31 PM
But druids can.

That would be nice if they were already planning for druids. I like dev teams with foresight.

Emili
02-27-2008, 04:04 PM
imo ram's might was a concession to str based rangers who could care less about ranger dex enh.

Either build benefit greatly by it...

Here's some food for thought, A pure strength based fighter is standing at +34 to +36/+20 to +22 with one handed weapons before buffing up or turning on PA.

My Ambyre (a dex based elf ranger) is Str 22 dex 36... by far not a str based character yet a finesse build when we add up her damage output you'll see something many Barbs, fighters and especially pallys can probably have a cow about.;)

To top this off she has both full elven melee and elven ranged enhancements ...

with a +5 bow or arrows standing unbuffed have +37/+13 to-hit/damages
with a +5 rapier standing unbuffed have +36/+13 to-hit/damages
with a +5 rapier/+5 rapier unbuffed have +34,+34/+13,+10 to-hit/damages

Now then with favored enemies (undead, giants, evil outsiders, elementals) which covers a lot of mob in this game am at another +2/+4 damages unbuffed.

add in rams might and am at +17 damages unbuffed ... toss in a bard song and GH buffs and to-hit goes all the way to 50+ to hit under full buffs and +damages in mid 20's.

A blast of 4 arrows from this toon can deliver a volley of 90-134hp damage per arrow before any elements which if one crits like that all four usually do... and she only ever misses most anything on a one even the bloody cr29 orthans in run with devils(elite) she hits very consistant.

I've not even added a rage potion or madstones into the pot here and that is another +3 easy. Had she PA for twf she'd turn heads of many strength built pallys and fighters as she's reaching equal outputs had she been strength built she's surpass many or most of them. Top that off with just 20-50 hp under some of them and a self buffed ac of 51 I'd have to say rangers have plenty of love in the dps area considering I do not even have a strength built ranger I'd like some real stregth built one to lay down some numbers.

So many threads on ranged attacks being under-par do not take in consideration... we're far from the any threat yet pushing out dps quicker than the mob can back. Then to top it off when we do turn to melee we're still very much on par with the other melee built characters... even the dex'd based ones are on par with the str based melee at thier unbuffed state... so it's a completely versitile class.

MysticTheurge
02-27-2008, 07:57 PM
That would be nice if they were already planning for druids. I like dev teams with foresight.

I'd say they've been planning for druids since they added the Summon Nature's Ally spells.

Ghoste
02-28-2008, 04:12 AM
Sorry, I was trying a new sig, and it said too many characters.

So, I tryed trimming things down.

While editing, the quote was lost, and I did not want to just make something up.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh96/coldplay3434/sorry.jpg
/cries like a little warforged schooldgirl!!!