PDA

View Full Version : The Official Elite Trap DMG/DC Assessment Thread

Ranmaru2
02-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Hello,
I've awoken early on a saturday with nothing to do. Why not try out all these traps that are claimed to be "Beyond Ridiculous"!!

The Pit
Electric Room (33% increase): From: 40s-60s To: 60s-80s (with 30 pt resist, but still not bad - spam protection from lightning, though you shouldn't get hit by a lightning arc anyways)
Force Blasts (20% dmg increase): From: 40-55 To: 55-69 (didn't see a 70 yet)
Acid Traps (33% increase): From: 40s-mid 50s To: 58-mid 70s (These are ALL avoidable in The Pit)

HIPS
- Did not run through the whole quest, but getting hit by 5 traps was enough to gauge ALL the dmg the traps were meant to deal with the increase
Fire and Acid: 17+20 = Failure Save DC: 45-46
Damage: ALL traps doing a universal 140-170 damage - Not bad at all considering all can be avoided and is a level 12 quest on elite

Spike Trap: 12+32 = failure Save DC: 45-46

Gwylan's
First stair traps: 85 dmg - No problem VERY EASILY AVOIDABLE
Stair trap to left: 60-85 dmg - Again EASILY AVOIDABLE
After checking 3 traps, all traps in here are 60-85 dmg. Most, if not all, traps in this quest are easily avoidable and aren't a problem at all.
(Though I would like to note on this one the trap DCs do seem ridiculous...Fire trap used to kite trolls and hobgoblins: 17+20 = failure.......)

Tangleroot
Part I: (not really any traps you can get to, but there are the later ones by the blades) 65 damage - considering how these are NEVER encountered, it is odd it would be this much...
25 and 27 rolls failing DC check....ummmmm WHAT THE!?

edit: (continued)

Stealing the Healing Elixir
DC: Failed First blade on a 2+20 = 22 DC - 10 damage
Failed on a 4+20 = 24 and a 5+20 = 25
Looks like 26 is the successful save
Assessment: I realize these traps are easily, and I mean, EASILY dodged, but this is a little TOO high, don't you think??

Durk's Got A Secret
Damage: ~25-39
Fire Trap: 7+20 = Failure
This one's easily disabled before you progress but why is it THIS high? No lvl 4 twinked out toon is capable of reaching 28 from my knowledge.

Butcher's Path
Underwater Spikes: 3+19 = failure Save DC: 23
Damage: 3-20
Not that damaging of a trap, but a rogue should be able to, at least, have a chance at the save here...

Kobold's New Ringleader
Cold trap: 5+20 = 25 = failure Save DC: (guess) 26
Damage: 13-29
One time trap. Easily Avoidable. not a problem at all.

Fire trap: 8+20 = succeed (Educated Guess = 26 Save DC)
damage: (had 30 point resist so no damage shown, but probably same as cold)
One time trap and easily jump-able and disable

Recovering The Lost Tome
Sonic Trap: 6+19 = failure Save DC: 26
Damage: 5-19
Should never get hit by this one, but just in case, the damage isn't astronomical. The Save is too high, that's for sure.

Lightning trap: 6+19 failure Save DC: 26
Damage: 5-19
Easily dodged, not that much of a worry, continuing insane DC trend

Smuggler's Warehouse
Cold Trap: 6+20 = failure Save DC: 27
Damage: 9-35
This one's always been a punisher for wanting to zerg ahead, but is still easily dodged. Damage not outrageous.

Fire Trap: 6+20 = Failure Save DC: 27
Damage: 9-35
Still easily dodged. Damage not outrageous. Save DC continues

Blade Trap: 5+20 = failure Save DC: 26
Damage: 5-20
Not bad at all, easily dodged. Save DC = Outlandish

krud
02-23-2008, 11:03 AM
Trap DCs
*requires passage thru trap in order to get to trap box
?unconfirmed

low level (lvl) n/h/e
sewer rescue (1) -/-/29
WWpt1 acid/fire (2) -/-/28
smugglers warehouse (2) -/-/28

mid level (lvl) n/h/e
gwylans (7)

upper level (lvl) n/h/e
*von5 - 1st blade trap, west (10) 24/36/48
chains of flame (12) -/-/>46?
rainbow in the dark (16) 45?/50?/55?

Ranmaru2
02-23-2008, 11:45 AM
So far it looks like the new Trap system attempts to put a universal damage and (sometimes slightly different) DC save on the traps in the quest so as to not make it differ drastically from trap to trap.

edit:

Just a quick note, I REALLY would appreciate some other's help on this. One man can't run every quest solo and then try and get DC values and maintain his plat due to repairs from some occasional deaths and restock of healing supplies! :p please a little help here! :D

krud
02-23-2008, 02:27 PM
So far it looks like the new Trap system attempts to put a universal damage and (sometimes slightly different) DC save on the traps in the quest so as to not make it differ drastically from trap to trap.

edit:

Just a quick note, I REALLY would appreciate some other's help on this. One man can't run every quest solo and then try and get DC values and maintain his plat due to repairs from some occasional deaths and restock of healing supplies! :p please a little help here! :D

I'm working on it too, but i think most of the controversy surrounding traps involves those that must be traversed in order to disable them. Most low level quests can be handled by the simple trapsmith, as the boxes are usually located before the traps. Any rogue or splash rogue will do.

Ranmaru2
02-23-2008, 02:48 PM
I'm working on it too, but i think most of the controversy surrounding traps involves those that must be traversed in order to disable them. Most low level quests can be handled by the simple trapsmith, as the boxes are usually located before the traps. Any rogue or splash rogue will do.

Thanks for the help, was just calling for more people besides us two :p

Riorik
02-23-2008, 03:03 PM
Any Level 4 Rogue or Ranger should be able to hit:

Base Reflex = 4
Stat = 20+ - +5
Resist Item +1 - +2

You should be in the range of +10 - +11 REF saves easily. Min/Max & Twinked characters would easily be higher.
Minimum +1 stat item - +1 from level - +1 from enhancements - +1 from racial benefits = Maximum DEX24
Multiclass Rogue2/Ranger2 = base REF+6

Looks to me like maximum saves are about REF+15

Mad_Bombardier
02-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Looks to me like maximum saves are about REF+15Rogue 3 = Trap Sense +1
Rogue 4 = Uncanny Dodge +4 Reflex
Enhancement = ImpTrapSense +2 (Rogue 4)
Feat (one of) = +1 to +4 Lightning Reflexes, Luck of Heroes, Resilience, Snake Blood

Add +8 to +11 on top of your +15 and the new max is Reflex Save +23-26, which gets you through most Harbor traps (Elite) on a save roll of 4 or better with a L4 Rogue. Not too shabby.

Because you didn't need them before, people overlook these important bonuses. Now, you need them and you should plan them in your trapsmithing build. Also, the bonus from Improved Trap Sense enhancement will soon be doubled at each level, so that's another +2, allowing the above Rogue to save on a 2.