PDA

View Full Version : Shield Bash for increasing threat?

Jerevon
02-23-2008, 02:30 AM
I don't think shield bash increases threat beyond the damage right now. I'm not sure about the shield bash feat popularity, so I'll ask: how many people have taken improved shield bash? I was thinking that, in addition to what it does now, the regular shield bash would increase threat about the same as intimidate - it can only proc once every 10 seconds, just the increased threat part, with an icon over the head of the target like intimidate. The improved shield bash would do the same, but the threat would be more than intimidate. The increased threat would last about the same as intimidate and it can all stack with intimidate.

GlassCannon
02-23-2008, 02:36 AM
I have never seen a tank that shield bashes.

This is intriguing.

villainsimple
02-23-2008, 02:38 AM

This is intriguing.

No it's not... it's a WoW ripoff and silly.

Let's have Sunder increase threat instead.

(But really, the tank stand around and just shield bash guys? That increases threat? That's the best we can do?)

QuantumFX
02-23-2008, 02:58 AM
I'd rather Improved Shield Bash work like it does in P&P and allows you to use your shield as an off-hand weapon while TWF.

Jerevon
02-23-2008, 03:01 AM

(But really, the tank stand around and just shield bash guys? That increases threat? That's the best we can do?)

Hey, tanks don't have a lot to work with as far as controlling and pulling agro off of others - intimidate, that's it. This game should have more agro tools for tanks to work with and I'm throwing some things out there. Maybe each point that goes into intimidate should increase the effectivness of the hate generated by the tank when intimidate is used, if the skill checks out good from the roll.

villainsimple
02-23-2008, 09:58 AM
Hey, tanks don't have a lot to work with as far as controlling and pulling agro off of others - intimidate, that's it. This game should have more agro tools for tanks to work with and I'm throwing some things out there. Maybe each point that goes into intimidate should increase the effectivness of the hate generated by the tank when intimidate is used, if the skill checks out good from the roll.

And that's an excellent suggestion.

Jerevon
02-23-2008, 10:38 AM
And that's an excellent suggestion.

Thank you.

Jerevon
02-23-2008, 10:40 AM

This is intriguing.

See, neither have I, and I have put a good amount of hours into this game. The damage is next to nothing and it immobilizes the tank for a brief second. A shield charge would have been a great idea, but it's too late for a change like that now. I just want to see some more agro tools for the tanks in this game and shield bash seemed like a good idea becuase it's, well, worthless in it's current state. Worthless even with the improved feat and a shield of bashing.

I run with autoattack off and the only time I shield bash is when I'm clicking fast and I drop the shift key quickly. A single unintended shield bash sneaks in, that's about it.

GuitarHero
02-23-2008, 11:47 AM
I'd rather Improved Shield Bash work like it does in P&P and allows you to use your shield as an off-hand weapon while TWF.

yes, i miss my two shield fighting paladin in tabletop that had all the shield bash feats out of the "Defenders of the Faith" book.

Emili
02-23-2008, 11:57 AM

Actually I had always been surprised that strength mod has no effect on the shield for bludgeoning damage. I was also told the bludgeoning feats do not affect it. Is that true?

As for shields as a weapon go... there is an old saying among historians "Before modern times more people died at the end of a gladius then by any other end." Basically stating how dominate a sword was and man's own self-destructive nature.

One thing brought to mind however from such a statement is the roman legionare who's primary weapon was a gladius and who's secondary weapon - of no less importance - was his shield. The way the roman's conquered thier known world was via the legeon. A highly trained effective standing military entity. It was not the by shear number of men or overpowering weaponry that these soldiers prevailed however. It was the efficiency of of thier tactics with thier weapons. The legeon would meet the enemy on the field of combat. The first thing they would do is throw thier javelins... then gather in a thight formation sheild by shield and march forward into the enemy. When the enemy was in close quarter then the slaughter would begin. The legoinares would shield bash the enemy deflecting the enemies swings but also looking for a chance to smack them off balance, the gladius stayed ready until they knocked the opponents unstable or even silly... then they would strike with the gladius for the abdomine - stab and twist. They kept thier ranks tight... when one legionare fell the one behind him would move up to take his place - replenishing the ranks. When you look at this technique... it was by far the shield doing most the fighting while the blade was used to deliver the mortal wound. Rome conquered thier world not by numbers as a single legion which was 1128 strong would efficiently overcome other armies, both trained or barbaric who were 10 time thier numbers.

Ranmaru2
02-23-2008, 12:32 PM

IT'S A DIABLO II RIP OFF NOT WoW!!!!!!

GuitarHero
02-23-2008, 12:57 PM

Aye, I've been playing a lot of Rome: Total War and Rome: Total War-Barbarian Invasion, and its amazing what a group of romans can do against a hoard 5 times their size. I'll decimate entire legions, and lose maybe 5 people. And often, those 5 are only wounded, and recover right after the battle!

Jerevon
02-23-2008, 05:17 PM

From d20srd:

Shield Bash Attacks
You can bash an opponent with a light shield or heavy shield, using it as an off-hand weapon. See Table: Weapons for the damage dealt by a shield bash. Used this way, a shield is a martial bludgeoning weapon. For the purpose of penalties on attack rolls, treat a heavy shield as a one-handed weapon and a light shield as a light weapon. If you use your shield as a weapon, you lose its AC bonus until your next action (usually until the next round). An enhancement bonus on a shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but the shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

Shield Spikes
When added to your shield, these spikes turn it into a martial piercing weapon that increases the damage dealt by a shield bash as if the shield were designed for a creature one size category larger than you. You can’t put spikes on a buckler or a tower shield. Otherwise, attacking with a spiked shield is like making a shield bash attack.

An enhancement bonus on a spiked shield does not improve the effectiveness of a shield bash made with it, but a spiked shield can be made into a magic weapon in its own right.

This is the same as PnP? Except that this is regular shield bash and improved would let you keep the AC bonus. I guess this shield bash system would be a toggle and not an activate. Shield Block should not be affected by this either. No shield bash with a tower and that's cool with me. They would have to make new animations for this change though, or it would look like ****. Yeah, I'm all for this to make shild bash more useful, but we still have issue with tanks needing to generating more threat in different ways.