PDA

View Full Version : Founder Rewards System??

caj
02-21-2008, 09:00 AM
I play both LOTRO and DDO - both Turbine games. I am a Founder/Beta Tester for DDO but not for LOTRO. I have seen many rewards given to LOTRO Founders but none here in DDO. When will DDO provide its Founders with the reward system as you do in LOTRO? You keep rewarding your founder based in LOTRO with unique items and most recently a level 25 mount before the standard level 35 mount.... a significant reward.

An upgrade to the starter founders helmet and necklace or other rewards? The founder helmet and natural AC necklace are not special anymore since that lesser false life is so readily available from level 1 to 3. Many players trash these items after 2nd or 3rd level...

No Flames please.. if nothing constructive please don't post.

Tenkari_Rozahas
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM
The Teams working on DDO and LotRO arent the same. just because one gets more doesnt mean anything..... DDO has a smaller staff than LotRO and they have more important priorities like more classes/races and stuff rather than giving more rewards to people.

Rekker
02-21-2008, 09:47 AM
DDO is the red-headed step child of the Turbine family. The first indication was when they offered lifetime accounts for $200 to the LotRO players. At this point I'm way over that amount and would have gladly paid it back in February '06 :(

Take your founders helm and like it :D

GreyRogue
02-21-2008, 09:52 AM
I could really get behind some kind of veteran reward system in DDO with bonuses similar in type and power to the favor rewards. However, I don't think that continuing to give Founders more and more bonuses is really a good idea--it will only make later subscribers jealous to see a bunch of stuff in the game that they can NEVER attain. Vet rewards are different because everyone can get there eventually (assuming the game is live long enough).

Oreg
02-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Not to mention the fact that there are maybe what? 100 of us left actively playing?

CrazySamaritan
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
Not to mention the fact that there are maybe what? 100 of us left actively playing?

More'n that, I'm sure.

Oreg
02-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Let's see.....

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=137060

BlueLightBandit
02-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Let's see.....

I'm not going to derail that thread, but what a totally innacurate way to count something.

Besides... if you want something you should go out and earn it. Getting something for nothing is... well... un-American.

Further, what benefit would you give the founders helm that wouldn't be defunct by level 3 anyway? Anything low enough to not cause an unbalance really wouldn't be worth the devs time, and anything higher would unbalance things.

Tenkari_Rozahas
02-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Let's see.....

Not all Founders are active on the forum you know... i think a few of them got banned >>

Vinos
02-21-2008, 11:41 AM
Let's see.....

LOL!!!!!! You're using that to judge the number of founders?

Oreg
02-21-2008, 11:42 AM
I'm not going to derail that thread, but what a totally innacurate way to count something.

Besides... if you want something you should go out and earn it. Getting something for nothing is... well... un-American.

Further, what benefit would you give the founders helm that wouldn't be defunct by level 3 anyway? Anything low enough to not cause an unbalance really wouldn't be worth the devs time, and anything higher would unbalance things.

I did not expect to get an accurate count but a gauge of how many founders are still out there. Nor did i say that it would represent people who wanted additional founders rewards.

Thank you for making those points though - otherwise people may have thought I was a complete moron and then boy gee whiz would i have been embarrassed when i reported my findings as actual facts and then someone like you would have to come along and set me straight. Thaks man - i owe you!

You guys take things way too literally sometimes.

Oreg
02-21-2008, 11:44 AM
LOL!!!!!! You're using that to judge the number of founders?

No, please see my post directly above.

Vizzini
02-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Hate to break it to you, but they offered a lifetime account for DDO founders as well, maybe you just didn't get the memo.

DDO is the red-headed step child of the Turbine family. The first indication was when they offered lifetime accounts for $200 to the LotRO players. At this point I'm way over that amount and would have gladly paid it back in February '06 :(

Uska
02-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I dont think we should get a reward for being founders our reward is having gotten to play the game sooner then others that is all it should be.

Ildaron
02-21-2008, 12:12 PM
Hate to break it to you, but they offered a lifetime account for DDO founders as well, maybe you just didn't get the memo.

They did? :eek:

See next time I am not spending my first month on the game and then hitting the fourms. First my Founder tag/avatar and now missing out on my lifetime subscription. Still I got my batman helmet, my striding boots, and the necklace. Yay me!

Rekker
02-21-2008, 12:12 PM

Never saw it...neither did anyone it OTG. Thats a lot of founders who would had to have missed it.

Uska
02-21-2008, 12:20 PM

No they never did offer a lifetime account to ddo founders only for lotr

Uska
02-21-2008, 12:21 PM
They did? :eek:

See next time I am not spending my first month on the game and then hitting the fourms. First my Founder tag/avatar and now missing out on my lifetime subscription. Still I got my batman helmet, my striding boots, and the necklace. Yay me!

I think they are just yanking your chain it was never offered to us

Uska
02-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I could really get behind some kind of veteran reward system in DDO with bonuses similar in type and power to the favor rewards. However, I don't think that continuing to give Founders more and more bonuses is really a good idea--it will only make later subscribers jealous to see a bunch of stuff in the game that they can NEVER attain. Vet rewards are different because everyone can get there eventually (assuming the game is live long enough).

This works and is fair

Vet rewards yes

Founder only rewards NEVER!!!!!

Kraki
02-21-2008, 12:22 PM

I believe you are misinformed.

Kraki

Ildaron
02-21-2008, 12:25 PM
I think they are just yanking your chain it was never offered to us

Oh well... I... umm.. :o I was playing along with it. Yeah that is it. I knew it all the time... yeah... well more cool points lost for the day. :)

The_Cataclysm
02-21-2008, 12:26 PM

If DDO is the red-headed step child what is AC?

Kraki
02-21-2008, 12:27 PM
As for Founder or Veteran rewards, I don't really have any desire for them.

SWG did the Vet rewards and it got to be silly choosing all the holograms, paintings, plaques etc. that accumulated. Other than perhaps a very small thing, they can't make the Veteran or Founding rewards be all that great simply because it would be unfair.

Now it was funny to have my merchant tent back wall covered in "I survived the CU" memorial plaques in SWG especially when 90% of the population didn't know what that was.

Kraki

Wookie Life Day Orb anyone?

oronisi
02-21-2008, 12:30 PM
After playing SWG, I am completely against rewards just for subbing a long time. Maybe it can be implemented in a good way but I have yet to see it be done.

Ildaron
02-21-2008, 12:36 PM
I loved decorating my house with that stuff tho. A little bit of stuff here and there. :)

On the other hand I think it spoiled some people as the fourms there seemed to always to have people demand free stuff.

HighJoe
02-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Let's see.....

Your counting only those persons who remembered to sign up for their forum account within the first 10 days of the public (non-beta) forum server stand-up. Those who beta tested the game and had accounts on the beta forum servers, but didn't recreate our forum accounts once Turbine shutdown the Beta forum servers to stand-up the public forum servers, didn't get a "Founder" tag on our forum account. I was out of country at the time of the change over myself and when I got back, it was too late to get my coveted "Founder" forum tag.

However, I have (and keep in my bank for nostalgia sake) my characters founders helm and necklace. So you need to think about what "Founders" you're trying to count. Forum founders are NOT the same as game founders.

Shaamis
02-21-2008, 12:44 PM

Not a founder, but played n head start. I get teh +1 nat. armor ammy, but wasn't in a 50+ member guild so I dont get the founders helmet.

Veteerans benefit should be implemented, as it is only right, but make it months of subscription, not when first paid a subscription.

That way, people who play religiously, get a benefit over those who just got their foot in the door, but leave, and comeback every six months when new content rolls out.

Mindspat
02-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Why should someone have their forum account tagged with "founder" to benefit from a prolonged subscription and enjoyment to the game?

I would rather just have global additions rather then individual ones, such as a means to change the skin of your armor or items.

Razvan
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Lol, I thought it was completely the opposite :D

BlueLightBandit
02-21-2008, 02:03 PM
Lol, I thought it was completely the opposite :D

Hey, this country was founded on people working hard for what they wanted and being upset at King George for trying to take it away.

Funny how the more things change the more they stay the same.

(Personal opinion here: What we experience today in the country is very VERY un-American, however it is very Capitolistic. But like I said, just my personal opinion.)

BlueLightBandit
02-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I did not expect to get an accurate count but a gauge of how many founders are still out there. Nor did i say that it would represent people who wanted additional founders rewards.

Thank you for making those points though - otherwise people may have thought I was a complete moron and then boy gee whiz would i have been embarrassed when i reported my findings as actual facts and then someone like you would have to come along and set me straight. Thaks man - i owe you!

You guys take things way too literally sometimes.

Speaking of taking things seriously.

Where did you get my post as assuming you were going to report on anything? I just said it was a horrible way to count things.

Further, where in my thread did it say the third part was directed towards you? It was directed at the OP who wanted something "more" for being a Founder.

Sheesh man... just sheeseh.

Furgulder
02-21-2008, 02:50 PM
personally i liked the way EQ had its vet rewards, based on number of years you were a subscriber. take 2 months off? sure, but it your counter didnt start again until you re-subscribed.

Id be all for "vet rewards" provided they were something small, non game breaking, maybe something fun like a unique looking robe or a pair of pants :)

DSL
02-21-2008, 03:11 PM

AC is the mutant fish-boy locked in the cellar.

Mad_Bombardier
02-21-2008, 03:20 PM

AC is the mutant fish-boy locked in the cellar.I was gonna say, "the aging grandpa shipped to the retirement home." :D

DSL
02-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I was gonna say, "the aging grandpa shipped to the retirement home." :D

huh. Yes, yours is probably more apropriate. AC2 would be more like the mutant fish-boy.:D

captain1z
02-21-2008, 06:21 PM
I think it would be a great idea for once a year on our anniversary to acknowledge the founders of DDO.

The 1st year was marked by the amulet, the helmet, and the boots.

I'd like to see the 2nd year marked with a free upgrade to those items using the stone of change in the marketplace.
Natural Amulet becomes +2, Striding 5% becomes 10%, and lesser false life becomes false life..... through a free upgrade from the altar in the marketplace available at 1st level.

As for accuracy of the count............ as a general headcount on the fly, Id say thats pretty good. Oreg never said it would be a detailed count, just a kinda finger in the water to guess the tempreture. If he wanted to do a detailed count it would take some time and effort but is just not neccessary for this reason.

In regards to the count itself.... I was a little upset that it was limited to those with the forum title only..... but Im sure there was a reason for that and really I dont need to convince anyone that I am or am not a founder because it doesnt do anything for anyone other than me.

Not a rant or anything at all. Just saying.

Besides If I must run goodblades for the billionth time to get level I may as well have some nice gear to get me thru.

Heck...... If they would let me Id start all my guys off at 3rd level (I mean come-on it only takes me 1-2 hours to level to 3 but If I could skip it I would)

Lorien_the_First_One
02-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Absolutely not. It is a mistake to give someone a reward because they were a member on day 1 and not reward the person who joined on day 2.

Given an award for number of months of active subscription might be an idea, but even then it should be a fun or handy thing, not an item that gives a significant gameplay advantage. For example giving them a free char slot or a free rename token would be good rewards. Alternately a low level item that is visually unique could be good as a fun item.

Steiner-Davion
02-21-2008, 07:49 PM

No way!!! They Never offered this for Founders or anyone else for that matter when the Game first Launched. We all would have been all over that that.

Gara
02-21-2008, 08:00 PM
The founder reward system in LOTRO gives some very minor but welcome rewards. I'm all for that in DDO but I don't see it happening. If we can't even get bug fixes I really don't see them giving the founders something fun.

A new founders helm with a clicky perhapes? One that actually has a decent graphic!

captain1z
02-21-2008, 08:07 PM
They didnt offer a lifetime sub to founders.

I paid for 1 year of play when I 1st started ................ it cost me a little over $100 as I remember. If there was an option given at any point for lifetime under $300 - $500 I'd have taken it.

I bought a new computer and dropped down almost $2000 specificlly built to run DDO ...... I was dedicated from the word go. A couple hundred dollars extra for a lifetime sub would not have been a big deal conscidering.

Etherrider
02-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I would certainly enjoy seeing something. The size of it should not matter too much, because it should be about earning someting that would really matter....so no +15 vorpal rabbits to every player!

But there are certainly many many things that could be considered. From allowing color changes to hair, armor, etc... to giving a small (say 5%) discount to vendors, or adding CAPES! (LOL just wanting that flowing trail for the monsters to step on and gaffle me with....I remember waiting for it in CoH)

I think if it were something small it could most def. be something for vet play and a slight change in color to mark founding vets....just a poss.

But yes....even small things would show that the players do matter!

captain1z
02-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Id settle for a badge that shows on your charcter in-game when you examine them in the Z window.
The badge would have a star for every year youve been playing a red ribbon that denoted founder and a blue one for anyone else that started after.

Having the badge makes the vendors of stormreach more incline to give you discounts............... say 5% per star.

After 20 years of play everything would be free :) (and honestly should be)

Uska
02-21-2008, 08:42 PM
As for Founder or Veteran rewards, I don't really have any desire for them.

SWG did the Vet rewards and it got to be silly choosing all the holograms, paintings, plaques etc. that accumulated. Other than perhaps a very small thing, they can't make the Veteran or Founding rewards be all that great simply because it would be unfair.

Now it was funny to have my merchant tent back wall covered in "I survived the CU" memorial plaques in SWG especially when 90% of the population didn't know what that was.

Kraki

Wookie Life Day Orb anyone?

I actually like the vet rewards for swg most were fine as they were only decorations the only bad one really they did away with with the nge the anti-decay kit had my armor fully outfitted with those as well as armor. but here decoration rewards really wont work until they add housing which still wont be good as people proably wont be able to visit your house anyways.

Uska
02-21-2008, 08:43 PM
After playing SWG, I am completely against rewards just for subbing a long time. Maybe it can be implemented in a good way but I have yet to see it be done.

I thought swg did vet rewards right they really didnt have any game effect, if you were only in to combat yeah they werent any good but some were really in the decorating

oronisi
02-22-2008, 02:00 PM
I thought swg did vet rewards right they really didnt have any game effect, if you were only in to combat yeah they werent any good but some were really in the decorating

The vet rewards used to be all-powerful. They eventually caught on to their mistakes and reversed course too far in the other direction, to what I guess you think was good. Originally vet rewards were rare and powerful, traded for 4x more than any other items ingame....you could prevent item decay on an item, in a game where item decay was pretty fast-paced and helped drive the economy(pre-CU, if you played in the last 2 years only then you'll have no clue what I'm talking about). Then they realized they messed up and made their vet rewards completely useless ****.

BUT, then they re-introduced vet items in terms of elder jedi robes and lightsaber crystals...these items were unobtainable by other players and created an unnessesary distinction between the playerbase.

Hvymetal
02-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Let's see.....

Also, that thread counts FORUM founders only. Many of us got our sexy helm & Natural Armor necklace but didn;t bother with the forums till later;)