PDA

View Full Version : How much ranger?

slumbering_dragon
02-20-2008, 04:09 PM
ia have a ranger i am working on right now he has 5lvls ranger, 2 fighter, and 1 wiz. now i ma experamentign with this build and well ites kicking butt. right now sword an board i am sitting at a 38 ac, and with a bow i am sitting at 32, i have 142 hp. now my question is after getting to lvl 6 ranger, and get the feats and enhancments i want, should i continue or not. after this i have 6 lvl to play with, should i go more wiz for the croud controll and buff spells. or fighter for the feats and the hp? i am a dex user wit hdecent str. so any suggestions, or thought on what other more experinced players might have? all are welcome ot post her ewith ther ebuilds and what worked for them. thx guys for your time.

Mad_Bombardier
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
15 Ranger should be your goal. With your other classes, 4 Fighter/1Wizard would work well (at end-game level 20). :)

slumbering_dragon
02-20-2008, 05:37 PM
ok but, what is my benifet of going ranger over fighter and taking the same feats only faster?

Tharris
02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Your main advantage for sticking to Ranger are........

Spells ( although you have Wiz, Barkskin etc are awesome spells), and more Favoured enemies.

Also Evasion at lvl 9 ranger.

Club'in
02-20-2008, 05:56 PM
Nothing wrong with stopping at 6 ranger levels. You've got the juicy goodness of Multishot and Improved TWF. As to where to go from here regarding the future mix of fighter and wizard? That's up to you to decide! Pros and cons in either direction. I would suggest you pick which feats you'd like from the fighter levels, or which wizard spells are most important to you, and make your decision from there.

MrWizard
02-21-2008, 06:53 AM
other than your ability to cast some scrolls and wands as a wiz, I do not understand why you took even one level.

getting more levels of wiz would be okay for buff spells, but your bab wioo start lagging easily .

getting more wiz levels for crowd control is not an option since most crowd control deals with DC rolls and in a 16th level dungeon you will be casting as a 5th -7th level wizard... you spells will not land at all i believe.

ranger over fighter for skill points I guess.
Fighter for more feats.
wizard? I would think a level of cleric to start better, then add more cleric so you can use rez scrolls and stuff (caster check, but good ones).

also, buff spells will not last long as a low level caster. Even if you are 16th level overall, you would still be like 6 or 7th level caster which is a very short buff....and your resists under 7th will only be 10...and under 11th level only 20.

I think ranger or fighter would be better, but I could be wrong, just my opinion...

Illuminati
02-21-2008, 07:04 AM
1 level of wizard got him Extend, Shield Spell (or Expedious Retreat) for a loss of a BaB.

He can also use Blur, Displacement scrolls, etc. but in the end game everything seems to have truesight.

May be fun to play

barecm
02-21-2008, 07:21 AM
ia have a ranger i am working on right now he has 5lvls ranger, 2 fighter, and 1 wiz. now i ma experamentign with this build and well ites kicking butt. right now sword an board i am sitting at a 38 ac, and with a bow i am sitting at 32, i have 142 hp. now my question is after getting to lvl 6 ranger, and get the feats and enhancments i want, should i continue or not. after this i have 6 lvl to play with, should i go more wiz for the croud controll and buff spells. or fighter for the feats and the hp? i am a dex user wit hdecent str. so any suggestions, or thought on what other more experinced players might have? all are welcome ot post her ewith ther ebuilds and what worked for them. thx guys for your time.

You have to ask yourself a few questions:

-Do you want to stay sword and board, or do you want TWF?
-How successful will having a few lvls of wizard when dealing with CR 20+ ? (the answer is not effective at all)
-Do you want to be more melee or more ranged?

If you want to stay mostly sword and board (with a high dex), sink more into fighter since you can gain some pretty good enhancements and more feats to choose from. If you think you will go more TWF, go more ranger. You would also get the benefit of some good ranged feats too at lvl 11 ranger. In either case, I can't see adding more wizard since crowd control will be mostly ineffective at higher levels when cast by a lvl 5 wizard or however many lvls you take.

WeiQuinn
02-21-2008, 07:24 AM
I have a Ranger that has 1 level of Bard and 1 level of Wizard. She is going to be an Arcane Archer.
At level 20, she'll be Ranger 18/Bard 1/Wizard 1.

I took the Wizard level for Extend and Shield. I took the Bard level to unlock full-rank UMD and Fascinate comes in handy.
Since she is a Drow, I need 18 levels of Ranger to get Arcane Archer 5.

As for your character... I would take at least 12 levels of Ranger. 14 levels will get you the Freedom of Movement spell.
As was mentioned above, 12 levels of Ranger grants you 30 point resists and +5 Barkskin, along with Improved Precise Shot
and Greater Two Weapon Fighting (the feats are granted at level 11). Ranger 15 will give you a fourth Favored Enemy and an additional +2 damage to your Favored Enemies.

What feats do you want with the Fighter levels? With four levels of Fighter you can pick up Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization and one other feat. Do you plan on Meleeing or using a Bow? Do you want to pick up a Ranger "Specialization" enhancement (Tempest I, Arcane Archer or Deepwood Sniper)?

Finally, what Race is your character?

Zenako
02-21-2008, 07:46 AM
Do not forget the Improved Precise shot effect at level 11 IIRC. It can make your manyshot bursts EXTREMELY deadly, especially when using effects bows. How many Madstone Skeletons can you disrupt at once, or trolls banish or paralyze.

High order buffs (barkskins, Resists, etc very useful at 30 points).

Once past 11 or 12, then the options become less compelling, due to no great spells at 4th, no idea of what is coming at 5th. things like that.

Geonis
02-21-2008, 07:58 AM
I had a build similar to what you have now.

I went Elf and had the first 2 Dragonmarks for Elves.

The level of Wizard is for Free Extend spells feat, some bonus SP, and 2 minute Shield spells when TWF or ranging. (Also, Ray of Enfeeblement has no save, so is useful regardless of your Int)

Take OTWF and dual wield longswords or rapiers and use your bow when necessary, very effective build.

I would suggest going at least to 12 Ranger. GTWF, Evasion, +5 (24 minute) Barkskins, Imp Precise Shot, all great reasons to be a Ranger.

Mad_Bombardier
02-21-2008, 09:34 AM
ok but, what is my benifet of going ranger over fighter and taking the same feats only faster?Found it. :)

When planning a multiclass Ranger, consider the following:
_9Ranger Evasion
10Ranger 3rd Favored Enemy and +6 dmg for all favored enemies
11Ranger GrTWF, Precise Shot, ImpPrecise Shot, Resist Energy 30
12Ranger Barkskin +5
14Ranger L4 spell (Freedom of Movement), extra L1 spell slot
15Ranger 4th Favored Enemy and +8 dmg for all favored enemies, extra L4 spell slot

Zenako
02-21-2008, 09:42 AM
As you can see in Mad's list, there is nothing compelling at 13th Ranger, 14th is underwhelming. Most of the time in high end quests you can get a Freedom if you need it. The most common usage is to prevent Earth Grab which is reflex based and is often a non-issue anyway. Finally at 15th you get another Favored Enemy and more damage vs them, but is that worth the other three levels? Very debatable if you have other options you want to pursue. (says my Ranger 12, Rogue 4 Elf)

slumbering_dragon
02-21-2008, 01:34 PM
i have to thank all of you for your help with my build. i went one lvl of wiz for the extend and shield of course but mainly for the usage of flame arrow wands. i went deep wood sniper and now i cna make all the arrows i need in the quest with out taking up alot of room in my back pack. i do plan on going mostly ranged in the higher lvls, i have some nice bows set out for him. i love playing halflings and so of course is my ranger. i have found a +1 ghost touch long bow of disruption, some anarchich burst of greater lawfull out sider bane, shock of greater girant baine and some others i am keeping for him. but alll in all i do appreciate all of your help in my decsicion, i think i might go ranger the rest of the way for the barkskin i did not think about that in my creation of my ranger. thx guys for your time and help.