PDA

View Full Version : Requested build: The Crossbowman

Sydril
02-20-2008, 12:32 AM
I'd like to explore the possibilities of a build focused on the used of crossbows, specifically light and heavy only, but perhaps great. no repeaters.

What are the best feats to select for the use of crossbows? I remember reading a long while ago that Rapid reload was not working properly and that rapid shot was much better for reload speed.

MrWizard
02-20-2008, 07:41 AM
I love using repeaters and have them on almost all my toons.

I have not tried rapid reload but here it is suppoed to be fixed now, I am sure somoene will mention this in the thread. If it does work, awesome, I would get a great crossbow feat too (no repeater for it though) when you find a good one.

Feats

well you should have a class that is granted use of both light and heavy crossbows as part of their normal god-given feats.

then piock light and heavy crossbow repeater also, or just one unless an uber one is pulled.

Pick up rapid reload and check it out, iof it works, great, if not...sigh.

High dex for the 'to hit' is needed.

When you get up there a bit, +8 BAB I believe, get improved ranged critical so the weapons crit quicker and any crit effects happen much more.
If a fighting class you can get the confirm crit enhancements too and this will make them more effective than before.

House D favor as soon as possible to get +3 bolts, then returning bolts.

If UMD or a class that can cast it, get scrolls or wands of flame arrow til you get the house d stuff. Hotbar the clickie for bolts. Make sure you never run out or you will be bummed.

Pick up good regular bows too since you have a good to hit for ranged.

I guess weapon focus for a +1 on ranged may help you if you need it.

Inthe beginning carry and use the cat's grace potions to give you plus 4 to dex (+2 to hit).. Until house P favor, but still carry them. Until you get that +4 or more dex item.

Start sending all your cool bows and crossbows to the toon to twink em asap.

I cannot think of any feats other than these (to recap)

light crossbow, heavy crossbow / great crossbow
repeating light / heavy crossbow
improved crit ranged
Enhancement confirm crit
rapid reload
weapon focus ranged
Greater weapon focus ranged

I do not think any class has anything special for the crossbow, but I would go with a fighter class for the BAB, enhancements, and the ability to use the bows at start. This would still leave you a lot of room for other feats.

Repeaters are great fun...I luv em.

sigtrent
02-20-2008, 10:38 AM
Tacticly they are about the hardest weapons to justify focusing on.

Great crossbow has some potential but lights and heavies are just not very good.

1. No way to add a stat bonus to damage
2. Slowest attack speed in the game
3. All but the non-combat classes have better ranged weapon options
4. No racial enhancemetns
5. No class enhancements for them

So the only character where you might be able to justify focusing on a crossbow, (wizards or sorcerers) arn't very good wtih combat in general and their magic will far outshine any focus you put into using a crossbow.

I'd suggest one of two courses...

#1: A ranger who takes some crossbow specific feats: The advantage is that you get a number of ranged attack feats for "free" and also get good melee attack feats for "free" so even though most of your build choices are focused on crossbow, you are still good with other weapons and combat styles.

#2. A drow or human wizard: You have the nice dex and you can start the game enough feats to take the crossbow combat basics as well as a bit of meta magic. You end up with a decent wizard that has a fun combat option that helps you get through the lower levels and lets you play with fun weapon effects at the higher levels.

xealot7
02-21-2008, 07:51 AM
I have the Great Crossbow feat and Imp Crit: Ranged on my 15/1 Fighter Paladin. The damage is not spectacular, but with elemental bolts and a +3 Holy Burst of Pure Good Great Crossbow, the damage is average. Where they really shine though is in the vale with a Banisher. Critting on a 15 and up to banish at a ranged weapon let's you walk through there like you own the place. One shotting the named devils before they can teleport to you is just plain fun =). I will say that I did NOT play low lvls with Great Crossbows and only took the two feats required to make this work because I had feats to burn. My dex is only 22 and my Str is 33 although, I can imagine this would rock if I could apply my Str to my damage modifier.

Sydril
02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
I remember reading a long while ago that Rapid reload was not working properly and that rapid shot was much better for reload speed.

Does anyone have information on this? I tested it out a bit and it does appear that rapid shot affects reload speed on a crossbow. Are there any gurus out there on this subject? or any links to that old thread on it?

Mad_Bombardier
02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone have information on this? I tested it out a bit and it does appear that rapid shot affects reload speed on a crossbow. Are there any gurus out there on this subject? or any links to that old thread on it?Both Rapid Shot and Rapid Reload add to crossbow attack speed (rate of fire). The numbers in Mod6 are: each feat adds ~4-5 shots per minute for a total of ~9-10 shots per minute.

sigtrent
02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Does anyone have information on this? I tested it out a bit and it does appear that rapid shot affects reload speed on a crossbow. Are there any gurus out there on this subject? or any links to that old thread on it?

It works now but it was broken for a long time. It was fixed in mod 6 along with lots of other ranged tweaks.

Sydril
02-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Just FYI for all those who care about weird builds that no one would ever play but may actually be serviceable. Here's the crossbowman build I decided to roll with:

Drow Fighter 12 / Rogue 3 / Barbarian 1

1 (rogue) rapid reload
2 (Barbarian)
3 (f1) point blank shot / weapon focus ranged
4 (f2) rapid shot
5 (f3)
6 (f4) Dodge / mobility
7 (f5)
8 (f6) shot on the run
9 (rogue 2) improved crit: ranged
10 (f7)
11 (f8) precise shot
12 (f9) improved precise shot
13(f10) Weapon specialization ranged
14 (f11)
15 (f12) GW Focus ranged / GW Speccialization Ranged
16 (rogue 3)

Bear in mind it took me all of 1 day and only a mere 80k plat to acquire all of the following items from the AH:

+1 holy burst / pure good heavy xbow
+2 flaming burst / pg heavy xbow
+1 paralyzing
+1 banishing
+1 w/p (this was the most expensive at 25k plat)
+1 smiter
+1 disruption

There were also a slew of dirt cheap greater banes that I may grab for boss fights down the road.

most of those were min level 10. I grabbed a +1 acid / pg for the lowbie stuff.

This build will never shine like a ranger but its unique and very doable with the crit ranges and crit enhancement. Rate of fire is solid, as good as any ranger. Will never really do much dps. I only worked in specialization to overcome mob DR to make full use w/p and have at least reasonable damage.

Attack speed and hitting targets are more important here than damage remember. Will be particularly effective against constructs and extraplanar creatures because of the banishing and smiting. w/p will probably be a primary weapon source. dps weapons will be a last resort.