PDA

View Full Version : Tell Tolero #8

Tolero
02-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Welcome to another edition of Tell...

So the masses have spoken (if only it were always so easy for all things, neh?) and for the time being we'll be calling this Tell Tolero until I decide on a more appropriate name for this. Seems your run ins with the Twelve haven't been fond ones yet, so we'll figure something better out (EU players will enjoy "Tell Tolero & Deum" for now). I will continue to number the sessions however, irregardless of what the name is. So, back to the matter at hand:

How it works:
I'll be asking you questions, and here in my thread, you tell me: What comes to mind; what you think; how you feel; etc, as it relates to the question(s) at hand. If you missed the previous week's questions, they'll be listed below and you can answer them here too. Thank you so much to everyone for offering their answers!

Ground Rules:
Before we get started, let's lay down three ground rules if you're going to participate in the thread. These ground rules also have a few samples to help clarify participation:

#1 - The single most important rule to remember while participating in this thread is:
No personal attacks.
If you disagree with the opinion of another participant, that's fine, but no one can make anyone agree to their opinion. Thus, please refrain from commenting on the personal qualities of others who offer their responses to the question(s). Personal attacks go against forum guidelines. Questions asked will be subjective, and some users will have a lot related to their opinion, while others may only define things in short phrases. All forms are acceptable.
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "Do you like ice cream?"
Player 1 "I hate ice cream because it's too tough to scoop"
Acceptable "I like it. It's not that bad to scoop once you let it sit on the counter for a little bit before you try to dip it Player 1."
Acceptable "I like it but I have the same problem as Player 1. What brand is it Player 1?"
Acceptable "I don't think it's too hard, I never have any problem with it. I like ice cream."
Unacceptable "That's cause you're a noob..."
Unacceptable "You don't have enough experience with scooping to be talking about how difficult it is"
Unacceptable "How about you back that opinion up with some numbers. If you can't prove it don't bring it here"

Everyone has the right to offer their response to the question(s), whether they have scientific data to back up their feelings, or they simply just "feel" a certain way towards the question(s).

#2 - Participate as well as discuss.
If you would like to join in the discussion, please be sure to offer your response to the questions as well, in addition to your conversation with any other thread participants
Hypothetical Example:
Tolero "What's your favorite color?"
Player 1 "Blue"
Player 2 "Green"
Acceptable "Purple... hey Player 2, how come you like Green?"
Unacceptable "hey Player 2 how come you like Green?"

Please be sure to take the time to offer your own opinion of the question(s) before you engage in a discussion about other people's opinions in the thread.

#3 - Don't recycle the above hypothetical examples in your responses ;) as it spams the thread.
-------------------------- Let's Get Started! --------------------------

If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
What are your thoughts on the DDO Newsletter?
(Post Script: By request, in order to receive the DDO Newsletter, you can sign up for it by using the link provided on the left hand side of www.ddo.com
EU players can receive the newsletter by going to www.ddo-europe.com and signing up using the link at the bottom right side)

Question 2
How many, if any, alt characters do you currently have (having characters on more than one server counts as an "alt") and what is their basic level range? e.g. high level (from cap down to around level 12), mid level (from 11 down to 6), low level (from 5 down to 1)?

Question 3
What did you think of the alternate thread name "Tell The Twelve"?

This week's question(s) are:

Question 1
Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly? (e.g. Bank window, Auction House, the Social Panel, etc.)

Question 2
What is your favorite feature of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise?

Question 3
Will you be attending any gaming conventions this year?

Question 4
You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write?

Question 5
What is one thing you feel would help new players in-game the most?

Question 6
If given a choice between the following thread titles for our weekly activity here, which would you select:

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum")
"Turbine's Stormreach Survey"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Jaywade
02-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Question 1
Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly? (e.g. Bank window, Auction House, the Social Panel, etc.)
Auction House

Question 2
What is your favorite feature of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise?
really like the ddo combat sustem I love being able to dodge arrows and spells and some attacks

Question 3
would luv to be able to talk the wife into this but I don;t think so

Question 4
You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write?
quicker release of more content

Question 5
lots of help the game manual is terrible....I try to push all new players to the forums

Question 6
If given a choice between the following thread titles for our weekly activity here, which would you select:
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"
"Tell Tolero"

Pfamily
02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
1. AH, the rebid bug and not having a more functional sort routine is tiresome.

2. DDO combat, luv it!

3. Nope

4. "Send me a PC, generator, subscription code, and a cute girl to help pass the time for the two days following an update when the game is being fixed...again...:p

5. Maybe a Turbine-employee lead tour of the Harbor and shops (and maybe a customized quest) for new subscriptions, raid style to max effectiveness?

6. Tell Turbine

tihocan
02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Question 1
The Auction House. We really need text search, global sorting (not only on each page), and a fix for the bug that prevents us from re-bidding on an item.

Question 2
Clever henchmen / pets you can give orders to (e.g. do not move, defend position X or player Y, pull this lever, etc.)

Question 3
No

Question 4
Can you please make Greater Teleport work in public instances?

Question 5
Tutorials on the various aspects of the D&D rules (either in-game or on the website - easily accessible). New players tend to get easily confused by the rules.
Making the default builds better could help too (not sure if they're been revisited, but some of them used to be very poor).

Question 6
"Tell Turbine"

EspyLacopa
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1: I'd have to say the Quest Journal.
2: Costume Creator in City of Heroes/Villains. Close second would be combat in the First Diablo Game. It's not the fastest, but it is constant, and consistent. As such, it's easy to do some really complex maneuvers in it.
3: I'd love to go to Connecticon this year, though I'm not sure it qualifies as a gaming convention.
4: I'd fold it into a paper airplane, and fool around with it.
5: A better tutorial that extends into character generation so that new players know more about what they're getting into.
6: Tell Tolero

Gengulphus
02-18-2008, 11:32 AM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1. Least user friendly interface: The auction house

2. Favorite feature of any online game: The real-time combat system of DDO

3. Gaming conventions this year? I'd love to, but probably not :(

4. Desert island, bottle, what to write? "Dear Turbine, Please give us mounts and a more seamless feel to the content. Even if you keep everything instanced, if you improve the map images on micro and macro scales, we can feel more like we're exploring the continent (e.g., put a zone-in entrance in the west of Cerulean Hills that enters the eastern part of Menechtarun desert -- don't know if that's correct, just giving an example). Mounts!!! Please mounts!!! Pretty please!!!
With affection, Gengulphus"

5. Help for new players? This is a tough one. I tend to think full immersement is best. Just jump in and learn as you go!

6. I like "Tell Tolero."

cdbd3rd
02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
[CENTER]
Question 1

Some area maps (y'all know which ones.) But mostly... Backpack. Stop tumbling our contents! LOL!

Question 2

DDO: Combat, and auction house.
Diablo: Randomization of adventure areas.
Morrowind: Interactive environment. (taking stuff off shelves, etc. Not an "online" game, but an FRPG nonetheless.)

Question 3

Heh-heh. You bethcha. Job, dead horses, nor silly soon-to-be-ex-wives (or combinations thereof) shall prevent my trip this year.

Question 4

Please send extension cord, my batteries ran out.

Question 5

I am constantly seeing newbies asking "where is [I]X". I'm not sure how you can make the maps much more newb-friendly, but that's what I'd look at.

Question 6

greened. ;)

Oh, edit. Thnx Pfam for reminding me.
add to #5: Reinstate a low-level raid instance -Irestone Inlet again, for example - to give new players a feel for 12-man raid parties early on.

And from last week:

Question 2
How many, if any, alt characters do you currently have (having characters on more than one server counts as an "alt") and what is their basic level range? e.g. high level (from cap down to around level 12), mid level (from 11 down to 6), low level (from 5 down to 1)?

4-6 per server, average levels 4-9. Couple higher, couple lower.

Question 3

This explains why I missed this last week. *Points at #6 above. Keep what we've come to recognize.

kruggar
02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Question 1

Social Panel

Question 2

CoX Character Visual Customization Tools - The best i ever saw

Question 3

No

Question 4

Please Send me a Computer with a satelite connection.. PLEASSEEE!!!

Question 5

Being able to buy magical items in a show.. like a +2 or +3 armor or so.. in DnD the magic shops are know to exist in the cities, why stormreach dont have one. Change the market vendors to have a fixed set of stuff to buy and another one with stuff people sold to them.

Question 6

Gol
02-18-2008, 11:37 AM
Question 1
Help System UI - forces me into Windowed mode and never really closes until you restart the client.

Question 2
Character build flexibility. Only DDO and Asheron's Call have been tolerable. Character design like WoW makes the game unplayable for me.

Question 3
No.

Question 4
Convince Hasbro to get out of their deal with Atari, no matter the cost.

Question 5
More appropriate XP reward for quests.

Question 6
I don't care.

rimble
Question 1:
The worst interface is the Metamagic interface in regards to the action bars. Plenty of options have been discussed, but the Metamagic Feat activate/deactivate tango is exceedingly tedious. Having your actions dictated by the deficiencies of a UI ("Meh, I'll just Maximize everything, I'm so tired of toggling it.") is a really bad thing.

Also, the AH is borderline embarassing.

Question 2:
Really, I love a good respec system. I don't have the time (or guild) to constantly reroll alts to fix deficiencies I created or that were imposed on me by changes.

Question3:
No.

Question 4:
Not bad, but I've seen better. Fix your Enhancement system.

Question 5:
Some sort of D&D rules tutorial.

Question 6:
Don't care.

Impaqt

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1: DEFINATLY the Auction House.... Rebidding is Broke rightnow, and can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have some sort of text search?

2:

3: Not Likely

4: Help! I'm Stranded on a Desert Island [Aproxomite locate and date]

5: An optional Character Creation Tutorial. and a Game manual that shows all the current levels/feats/etc etc etc... Our manual is stil L12!

6: as per previous question, the name is academic......

PS: Are we going to see any responses to our responses ever? #8 = 2 Months and no follow up.....

Ustice
02-18-2008, 11:50 AM
Question 1
The Craftinging UI is hands-down the most confusing. I was unsure at first of how to get the item into my pack (the orb looking like a twig didn't help).

Question 2
UO has the best items. Unlike other games, the items in UO are more physical. You can see them, you can place them. I hate to say it, but I like the fact that in Second Life you can create new items/buildings/etc. (I still don't like Second Life.) I like the fact that you don't need to respec, since you can change out which class is the primary and which is secondary.

Question 3
I hope to attend MegaCon.

Question 4
A help request with my /loc. :) I'm not sure I understand this question, but I am going to say, "Please make the auction house more set-and-forget (eBay-like)."

Question 5
A newbie channel/guild where newbies can ask questions and vets can answer them. (We would need to be a part of that guild as well as our own.)

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
>>> "Tell Turbine" <<<
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Deriaz
02-18-2008, 11:59 AM
If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:

Question 1
(Post Script: By request, in order to receive the DDO Newsletter, you can sign up for it by using the link provided on the left hand side of www.ddo.com
EU players can receive the newsletter by going to www.ddo-europe.com and signing up using the link at the bottom right side)

I signed up for it, but I only receive it every other month. :( Would be nice to get it a little more often.

Question 2

I've got 7 other characters, mostly for RP purposes. None are above level 5.

Question 3

I liked it. Seemed to fit a little better--no offense, of course. ;) But just sounds better that we're answering questions to a high organization like the Twelve. . . Rather than just "Tolero". Just my thought.

Question 1

Social Panel, by far. The guild window needs a revamp (Including new ranks, customizable ranks, longer MotD), the LFM needs more detail, the LFG needs a LOT of help, and the friends list could use a Last Online bit. The Who section I'm fine with.

Question 2

I like the community here. I really don't care much about loads of features, so long as I've got friends to play with.

Question 3

I wish. :/ Jaggie says she's gonna kidnap me and take me to GenCon. . . I really wanna go. . . .

. . . Is it kidnapping if the victim is ok with it?

Question 4

"y herro thar."

Question 5

New tutorial quests! And a better help center! That thing is too far out-dated! I saw recently that one of the items about multi-classing only talks about up to level 10. They definitely need to be looked at.

Also, I've seen a few new players that talked to Trader Skipp, and never knew about Euphonia's Challenge. Have the game determine if this is someone's first character on that account/server, and if it is, force them to do Euphonia's Challenge. That way, new players at least learn a bit of the ropes, and might not accidentally skip by something they should learn!

Question 6

Tell The Twelve. See my reasoning above. :P

-D

Tolero
02-18-2008, 12:01 PM
PS: Are we going to see any responses to our responses ever? #8 = 2 Months and no follow up.....

Follow up happens daily, but not always from me, and not restricted merely to this thread ^^ I take the data I mine here (and elsewhere) and beat people in various departments over the head with it (with loving affection of course). It's the reason I didn't just name the thread "tell the devs" because the devs aren't the only ones hearing the information. Where I can, if it falls directly under my domain (i.e. the forums and marketing) I try to follow up on it... such as the thread title; the newsletter link needing fixed and how one receives it; or if there is a chunk of feed back coming in to me that doesn't make sense and I need clarification/more details.

DrAwkward
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM

Quest journal. I think it can have a lot more information; statistic blocks would be nice for how many times you've run a quest on each difficulty, etc. I'd also like the layout to make it easier to find a quest and see if I'm on it. Grouping by where we pick it up turned out to not be very practical, usage wise.

The only advantage MMOs have over single player games is the human interaction: chatting, guild events, etc. Any time you can encourage happy player interaction, you build up the foundation of the MMO.

Meh. I only ever attend Anime Expo these days, and it's in the middle of LA this year. :(

"Tell Charlotte the Harlot that... I love her... *gasp* *croak* "

... nah, I'd probably put my resume. You guys cover relocation costs? ;)

Probably improving the quest tombstones. They should have a nice big notice if you try to enter a quest that you aren't on or haven't advanced properly.

If given a choice between the following thread titles for our weekly activity here, which would you select: blah blah blah

Tell Tolero is the most personable, and sounds more like "a guy asking my opinion" rather that "CORPORATE SURVEY: FORM #35664"

I think the format could be improved though; Maybe a post with all the disclaimers and rules, followed immediately with a post of last week's questions, followed immediately with a post of this week's questions.
The idea is to discourage folks quoting the whole darn spiel, and maybe encourage a "format" for our responses so that you don't go crazy trying to parse through it all.

Tolero
02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
...The idea is to discourage folks quoting the whole darn spiel, and maybe encourage a "format" for our responses so that you don't go crazy trying to parse through it all.

Actually it doesn't bother me that much, and if anything, it's always interesting to see the way people respond. Some people use colors (the same colors each week in fact), or sub answers directly in quote box, or just put #s down and their answer... everyone seems to have their own style about it.

Everything you do tells me a little more about you mwuhahaha...rather, I mean...hehehe

DasLurch
02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Question 1

If you have a brain, and the ability to use it, they all work just fine. The chat and AH are probably the most complex though.

Question 2

Character generator for City of Heroes. It allowwed you to really customize your look. I won't make a dwarf unless he can be fat. The battle engine here is great. If I could have those 2 things, I'd be in heaven.

Question 3

Probably not. If Gencon were still in Milliwaukee I'd probably go, but since they moved to Indy, it would require me to enter that state. I've vowwed to avoid that as much as possible. I miss it being up in "Millerville". *sigh

Question 4

PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEE DO NOT pass me on to a senoir GM if there isn't one around. I'm already stuck! Don't make me wait for over 2 hours with no update as to wether or not one is coming! Please allow the lowwer level gm's to be able to do more to resolve my problem.

Question 5

Having some more of a laid out "path they should take to progerss. When I was a newbie way back when, I got through WW and STK, I suddenly didn't know what to do. The "storyline" stopped there. If there was a way to have a mail sent from the favor reward givers asking that character to come and visit their respective wards, it might be helpful to those that are rather unfamiliar with the game.

Question 6

"Let's Talk About..." - So many fun ways to implement this. And they don't even have to be naughty.

Dungnmaster001
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM
[center]This week's question(s) are:

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1. Auction House, but it's not really the UI so much as a lack of functionality (no ability to search by name and/or ability)

2. By far my favorite feature of an online game has been: City of Heroes costume/character design. Not really practical in a typical loot driven game but the ability to make your character look almost guaranteed to be unique and cool is great.

3. Sadly no, between work and my dwindling supply of money it's just not in the cards for me.

4. hmm tough question... I'd probably write something like "Help!!! I'm stranded on a desert island without an internet connection!!!!"

5. Honestly I believe we have a fairly newbie friendly game so I can't think of much that would help without making the game itself too easy.

6. Turbine's Stormreach Survey sounds like a winner to me.

Dailus
02-18-2008, 12:21 PM

Question 1
Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly? (e.g. Bank window, Auction House, the Social Panel, etc.) The Social Pannel, not that its really that hard, but it is the least user friendly imo.

Question 2
What is your favorite feature of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise? I played a lot of Neverwinter Nights online until ddo came out. The persisant world I played on had lots of quest where your decisions you made during a quest would effect your characters alignment. Also more options became available to those characters that had diplomacy skills. I would like to see this used more for diplomacy, intmidate, and bluff, but the best thing I saw in that game was being able to customize the look of your armor/robes/clothes the possibilies were endless.

Question 3
Will you be attending any gaming conventions this year? No

Question 4
You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write? " Stranded on desert island. Will trade vaild credit card info for labtop and internet connection."

Question 5
What is one thing you feel would help new players in-game the most? Not sure on this one, probably to have an updated game manual come with the trial download.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Mindspat
02-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Question 1
Social panel is very poor and there needs to be a way to track friends by account rather then single character.
Tool Bars - Need ability to lock tool bars while being able to move the items linked within them to be moved. Currently it's a global lock which is bad.

Question 2
Dynamics and complexity. The more there are the greater interest I maintain in the environment.

Question 3
No, unless there's a DDO Con in Seattle, on a weekend. I had gone to Star Wars Galaxies conventions prior to SOE screwing their entire fan/subscription base. Traveling to Iceland to attend CCP's convention/gathering/drunkfest for EVE is too costly.

Question 4
The secret to life, the universe and everything; 42.

Question 5
NPC guides who direct you to other quest-givers with a more Directed Path of acquiring adventures. The current process is accomplished through blindely wandering about and stumbling upon a quest giver. It would be nice if more NPC's were located in Taverns who presented a multiple choice list of options with additional back story, that guided a player to an actual contact to begin the quest.

Maybe paying a small bribes to various guards or inn keepers could open several stories that a player could "investigate"?

Also, friends lists are not good for new players. Everyone playing DDO has alts and a new player isn't going to know every single character played by a few new friends.

Question 6
Free Beer!

QuantumFX
02-18-2008, 12:27 PM
Last Weeks Questions:

Question 1 - What are your thoughts on the DDO Newsletter?
Using sign up link in ohter tab

Question 2 - How many, if any, alt characters do you currently have (having characters on more than one server counts as an "alt") and what is their basic level range? e.g. high level (from cap down to around level 12), mid level (from 11 down to 6), low level (from 5 down to 1)?
Only considering the characters I actually play? 1 Main, 2 High level, 3 mid level, 2 low level

Question 3 - What did you think of the alternate thread name "Tell The Twelve"?
Hated it! Tell Tolero is much more player friendly

Question 1 - Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly? (e.g. Bank window, Auction House, the Social Panel, etc.)
Auction House. I need a search function and for when I sort something I want it to sort based on all the pages not just the current one.

Question 2 - What is your favorite feature of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise?
Remort

Question 3 - Will you be attending any gaming conventions this year?
Unfortunately no. See there's this mythical thing called money...

Question 4 - You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write?
Nothing. If I'm stranded on a desert island then I'm going to go all Tom Hanks and keep the bottle to help start fires, and store purified water.

Question 5 - What is one thing you feel would help new players in-game the most?
A "Newb Friendly" checkbox in the Create Party screen. If an account is under 90 days old it won't see the LFM at all, any accounts that are over 90 days old will see the tag in the hover over tooltip.

Question 6 - If given a choice between the following thread titles for our weekly activity here, which would you select:

llevenbaxx
02-18-2008, 12:32 PM
4) Fix trap DCs and stop trying to eliminate MC rogues via YOUR enhancement system.

5) I would tell them that if they plan on playing a skill based class (like rogue for instance) to not ever multiclass becasue the enhancements system will be used to lock you out of the elite endgame.

6) Trap DCs

VonBek
02-18-2008, 12:35 PM
Question 1

I'll think on it.

Question 2

I'll think on it.

Question 3
No. Uncle Owen won't let me submit my application to the academy. Whenever we're in Toshe Station, he watches me like a hawk.

Question 4
"Thanks, I've had a great deal of fun! I'd have even more fun If you could help me get home, though."

Question 5
The ability for volunteer mentors to contact and offer guidance to new players. The forums CAN help, but it's not immediate.

Aspirant's Corner has a fountain, with the names of folks from Beta (I think?). Perhaps we could see a fixed feature in the lower harbor at which veterans could "sign up". Then if a new player wants to seek help, he can access the same landmark item to communicate with a logged-in volunteer. Perhaps an NPC in the Wavecrest could "channel the voices" :)

Question 6

* "Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum")

How about "Tell Tolero & Deum" on both? I think as players we are (mostly) aware we all live on a world with different continents, countries, cultures, & servers.

two characters

Albel
02-18-2008, 12:39 PM
Question 1

A: Auction House, it's got a few too many bugs.

Question 2

A: DDO combat system.

Question 3

A: No.

Question 4

A: Um hello stranded...... of course I'd write down the important info and everything leading up to the event that might help them find me. Who cares about turbine at that point....unless they are the ones who are going to find me.

Question 5

A: Having the experienced people be more helpful to the new players, right now very few older players are willing to help the newer ones, thus we drive new players away, then complain that it's turbines fault for not advertising.

Question 6

* "Tell Town Hall"
* "Tell Turbine"
* "Tell The Twelve"
* "Turbine's Stormreach Survey"
* "Let's Talk About..."
* "Time To Talk"

A: Definately "Tell Tolero #X", it makes more sense to have the original name stick through to the end.

The_Ick
02-18-2008, 12:39 PM

Question 1
I would probably say the Bank. Haveing to hover over every item to see what is there can be a real pain in the butt. This is also true to inventory in general. Makes it very slow to organize.

Question 2
SQG Economy: Being able to build and maintain player cities in Star Wars Galaxies. They made a lot of mistakes in that game, but that definately got that part right. It really gave players a sense of being a part of something. From paying taxes and being able to design your own houses to over all city layout with common buildings. It was truly an amazing system.

Question 3
Would love too, but probably not.

Question 4
Get me off this %^&* island!!!! And add player housing in the fine print

Question 5
Some kind of a way point system on the maps to help them find quests.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Ildaron
02-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Question 1
I'm not sure, I like pretty much all of them.
Question 2
I love housing.

Question 3
Not really unless there is free food.

Question 4
Kate your late!

Question 5
NPC minons, the hardest thing is breaking in a game and not being able to find party members.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Wizzly_Bear
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

#1 for this (if i understand the question), i would have to say the least user-friendly is not one actually present, but the absence of a confirmation for tome use. very frustrating to accidentally use a tome while sorting through inventories (luckily it was only a +1)

#2 as far as i know, my favorite feature is not in any game, but id very much like to see it. character respec. while there is some here in ddo, its not enough to keep up with changes in learning by experience nor changes instituted by the game makers.

#3 im fairly new to the gaming community and have thus not attended any, nor have any plans to. if something caught my eye though, id probably be tempted to try it out.

#4 lol, not sure where this one is going. in rl, the logo would make no difference, id be writing an SOS.

#5 more newb help. hireable npcs, training sessions, etc. all optional of course.

#6 tell tolero

Spectralist
02-18-2008, 01:03 PM
Question 1

It's pulled me out of hiatus a few times. Does me no real benefit when i am actively playing though. 'Course it's probably more useful to people who don't browse the forums regularly.

Question 2

I'd kinda consider all my characters alts. I play a character until i get bored of it then start a new one. Usually get to around 11-13 before getting bored. As a side note the raid activation mechanics for raids like the one in Giant Hold completely screw over people with my play habits. You might want to consider allowing people like me to access that content somehow. Despite most people's complaints about it the Velah flagging mechanic is much more friendly to me as i can get a brand new character in there with just a few quests. I would like to be able to do the Vault of Night quests in any order though.
Binding gear also kinda screws over people with my play style. But it is, unfortunately, in every MMO so i guess i'm numb to it.

Question 1

The auction house. By far. I don't mean to be negative here but it is by far the worst auction house interface that i have seen in any mmo.
It needs:
a search by name feature.
the ability to search wider categories. IE. search all weapons rather then picking a specific type. And search by everything(once the search by name feature is implemented that is.)
the ability to filter by Race Required
it should show all prices in Plat. Gold is irrelevant.
the ability to turn off the annoying 'are you sure you want to bid' message. I wouldn't have clicked 'bid' if i was unsure.

That would bring it to a functional level.

Question 2

That's a hard one... Maybe the sidekick/mentor system in City of Hero/Villians. DDO could certainly benefit from it.
Or the City of Hero/Villians Auction house system. I love the blind bid system it uses. It lets you instantly buy anything if you want or to lowbal bids and get a deal if you want to take it slow.

Question 5

Better tooltips and a more convenient interface.
For example the dragonmark tooltips just say that they cast X spell. They should detail the spell for you. Spell tooltips should say their potency after all items/enhancements/metamagics are applied. As well as their crit chance and multiplier.

The character creation could give more relevant tips to new players. It looks like all the tips are written assuming this game is just like PNP which, for better or worse, it is not. The tips should reflect that. And the default 'builds' should be a lot better.

Little things like a rogue activating a trap box by just clicking it rather then having to hotkey the skill would help as well.

Getting rid of a lot of the slimes early on would help too. New players don't seem to 'get' that they destroy their gear. Or haven't figured out a good alternative to using their best weapon. Having probably a fifth of all the enemies you fight throughout the harbor be slimes can be a pain and is rather disheartening to newbies. Or at least it was to me.

Fixing the maps for zone-within-zones. Like in Tempest Spine. Some people have a hard enough time finding their way around with a working map. Without one...

Maybe even give new accounts a complimentary Flaming/Acid/Puregood/ etc weapon. Its gotta suck running around as a new player with all the twinkies killing everything in one hit.

Question 6

I like it's alliterative qualities.

Any Questions i didn't respond to are ones i have no real opinion on.

Garth_of_Sarlona
02-18-2008, 01:18 PM

So the masses have spoken (if only it were always so easy for all things, neh?) and for the time being we'll be calling this Tell Tolero until I decide on a more appropriate name for this.

That's good. I don't trust the Twelve and I think it's important to separate the role playing parts of the game from the customer service parts.

Question 1

Auction House. It needs a way to search for something by name.

Question 2

DDO's inbuilt voice chat system. Very easy to use and totally integrated into the game! It's great!

Question 3

No

Question 4

Please send help.

Question 5

People have said to me that they found DDO somewhat unaccessible at first. Compare the new user experience to e.g. WOW - where you start off and there are immediately 3 or 4 quests to do... the last of those quests will be a 'take this item to dude in another part of the map' When you get there - you'll find that you're high enough level to pick up another 3 or 4 quests... the quests are leading you to the most suitable area for the level you are at. It's a very smooth mechanic - and keeps you playing since you'll always have a few quests outstanding and can't resist picking up more as you complete your existing ones!

I could tell that Turbine made a (small) effort for DDO have this mechanic as well with the 'Making yourself know in Stormreach' initial quest chain that gets you talking to all the NPCs to get the level 1-2 quests, however, it stops abruptly at around level 1 or 2. If there were small 'quest bridges' that introduced you to new parts of the game - e.g. a quest that takes you to House Deneith where you would find the level 4-5 quests or a quest that takes you to House Pharlian where you would find the level 5-6 quests - then it would make it less confusing for new players to actually know where they were supposed to go at certain levels.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Tell Turbine. Keep this thread about player feedback and avoid RP references.

Garth

moorewr
02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Question 1
Guild Tab of the social panel. It doesn't remember how I sort it, I can't put notes on guild members (or put a message by name for others) and the MOTD space is tiny.

Question 2
Voice chat

Question 3
Orlando's Re-con and Hurri-con, possibly Dragon-con

Question 4
My GPS coordinates and a claim that I have found $1 million in gold

Question 5
Experienced players going to the harbor to help out.

Question 6

LordFancyPants
02-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Question 1

I've never seen it. But it sounds cool

Question 2

5. I only play 2, both are high level. 2 others that are semi-retired at high level. 1 mule.

Question 3

Lies. I know I am talking to Tolero. And there aren't 12 of you.

Question 1

My backpack. I would like to be able to lock gear into certain spaces or packs. I can never find what I am looking for becuase it moves around in my bag.

Question 2

The DDO combat system.

Question 3

Gencon and Meatsharks

Question 4

Please come get me off this island

Question 5

Make the training quests more in-depth. Teach them how to use the user-interfaces and how to read the character sheet. Not everyone who plays this game knows how to play DnD.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Answers in red.

ZarakNur
02-18-2008, 02:07 PM
Question 1
A bit sparse, and sporadic. I signed up months ago but have only received 1 issue so far.

Question 2
1 High: Barbarian/Wizard :14/1
4 Mid: Barbarian/Fighter/Ranger: 3/5/2, Ranger/Rogue/Wizard: 2/4/1, Barb: 6, Fighter: 6
5 Low: Sorcerer: 2, Cleric: 5, Rogue: 1, Paladin: 3

Question 3
Didn't care for it personally.

Question 1
Happy for the most part, wish my inventory would stop shifting around though.

Question 2
Escape from reality.

Question 3
Might go to Penguicon 6.0

Question 4
I've rescued Arlos and gathered my party at the exit, why am I still here?!?

Question 5
Information Kiosks outlining the basics and giving helpful hints.

Question 6
I like: "Let's Talk About..."

Jhoran
02-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Question 1
Social - wish there was room for more info; as well as ability to view info about others (ie bio, guild etc) when they want to join your party; or when looking at who is already in a group. also wish there was a trade tab

Question 2
Loot effects in AC and DDO

Question 3
No

Question 4

Question 5
how about a 'newb' chat channel; or some other marker (like the Anonymous thing; but for newbs) that would help new people better meet up and group with other new people

Question 6
"Turbine Town Hall"

Hence
02-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Question 1

BAGS !#&!@^#&*!@^ Why are they not identical to our current inventory setup? The bags are really a pain to use.

Question 2

Feature? I loved the way we could manipulate aggression from mobs in EverQuest. I also loved the Feign Death ability in EverQuest. I believe in fun game play over any "Feature" that you may be referring to.

Question 3

No way. Im only 1/5th geek.

Question 4

"Due to my obsession with you game, my girlfriend took me on a cruise to get away from the game. Since I did nothing but talk about your game while we were away, she shoved me overboard. Here I sit, bored and lonely. and still thinking about my tier three crafting upgrade. YOU KILLED ME!"

Question 5

Some sort of small achievement. Like when you get 400 favor, break it down and give them something small for lower tier favors.

Question 6

Whatever.

Beherit_Baphomar
02-18-2008, 02:20 PM

Question 1
Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly? (e.g. Bank window, Auction House, the Social Panel, etc.) If Id have to pick one Id saaaaaay.....backpacks. But they are all pretty skraight forward and nice 'n' simple.

Question 2
What is your favorite feature of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise? DDO's the only one Ive really played, I fiddled around with LOTRo for a week or two, and what I liked from that was the cloaks/clothing AND the doors to the instances. The way they actually opened. Made it alot more realistic.

Question 3
Will you be attending any gaming conventions this year? No. HA! "Dear, Im going to XXX Convention this weekend." **CHOP**

Question 4
You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write? "Please help me, send satelite internet and a computer STAT"

Question 5
What is one thing you feel would help new players in-game the most? I really think the only way to help players is by playing with them. This isnt really an option, so maybe a bigger, more indepth training ground. LOTRo's training is extensive compaired to ours.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum") DAH WINNA!
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Answers in Hawt Cinnamon!!
(P.S Tolero; My colours change every week, never the same!)

Vormaerin
02-18-2008, 02:21 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1) Definitely the auction house. The inability to search it by what you want is a pain in the butt. If I'm looking for a Superior Devotion IV item, I have to look through a bunch of different lists that may or may not have what I want.

2) LotRO's UI customization that actually keeps things where you put them so you can't accidentally drag a hotbar across the screen.

3) Nope. Haven't attended any gaming conventions since I moved to Hawai'i. Kind of expensive to fly to them.

4) Please send rescue mission!

5) Better compendium/in game help options or a more thorough tutorial. Lots of people don't know how to use the LFM and other features after completing it.

6) Tell Tolero works for me.

Wildseed
02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
-------------------------- Let's Get Started! --------------------------

Question 1
I think the auction house. It needs a search by name option, a search by entire category perhaps slashing weapons or piercing weapons or maybe even by martial weapons... a way to broaden the search. It would be great if we could search by bane type or something like that!

Question 2
The ability to change my character's features after generation. I didn't realize I had to stare at her earrings her entire life! wow. .. Also player housing.

Question 3
No, never been to one, no plans on going

Question 4
Put whatever identifiers I know, last known GPS coordinates and so on to be easily found. I am not thinking about a game if I'm stranded on a desert island...

Question 5
Perhaps a more linear quest chain at the beginning after you get to the harbor guy in harbor he sends you to leaky dinghy but when i was new I didn't even know what that was where that was or anything like that. So it didn't help me to try that make your presence known thing.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

"Tell Turbine"

Slapphappy
02-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Question 2.1
A newsletter would be like most of my magazine subscriptions. A nice idea, but I probably wouldn’t take the time to read it.€

Question 2.2
I have 8 alts on the Argonessen server – all mid-level.

Question 2.3
Thread names don’t rock my world one way or the other.

Question 1.1
The AH is prob the least friendly.

Question 1.2
DDO is my online online game. I like the guild system. Would love to see this enhances with guild houses, banks, and stuff like that.

Question 1.3
No gaming conventions.

Question 1.4
More character slots please. I will swear to never make toons on other servers if I could get a couple more on Argonessen.

Question 1.5
I think that foster system that was thread of the week a little bit ago was a great idea. I signed up, but never heard anything.

Question 1.6
"Tell Tolero" is just fine.

MrWizard
02-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Question 1

Option panel
1) reset does not just reset the page you are on but ALL and every single setting.
2) key mapping, a gazilling lines, perhaps seperating it instead on one big scroll down.
3) better labeling, new people and vioce chat are a tutorial fun thing all the time.
4) better instructions and clarifications as per 3 and other areas.

Question 2

RANDOMNESS. Some like it, some hate it. I like it! The same old thing over and over is a bummer. Randomness rocks.
PacMan versus Robotron. Order versus chaos. Robotron wins.

Question 3
Just at my friends house!

Question 4

My planned stats for my monk. Then I use the bottle musically trying to emulate the bard songs in tha game (not that hard..lol)

Question 5

An optional extended traing area that really shows the mechanics for the class they choose with an optional training video that shows them the UI, or an interactive dungeon that shows them how the UI works.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

:)

Inkblack
02-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Question 1
Toolbars. Having more than 10 standard would be really nice, because invariably I get into a quest and then remember I need to drag the others out. Every now and then the UI on my one character that has more than 10 (he has 12) resets, and I have to drag everything all over the place. Another nice feature would be some sort of "locate handles" feature for when we lose icons (my dice window is forever getting dragged to some nether region of the display).

Question 2
Voice chat. Ventrillo is better, but it's a good effort.

Question 3
Probably not. I would like to, but something always gets in the way.

Question 4
If your customers are telling you something, listen to them. If you are involved in DDO, read Tell Tolero. Push product development is good for groundbreaking things, but you must incorporate pull as well to keep the successes rolling. Listen to your customers, or you risk going in the wrong direction. If your customers are clamoring for content, give it to them.

Question 5
A way to learn movement. I think there should be a starter quest that includes complex navigation -- a timed run trough a maze for example. It should include jumping, ladders, sharp corners, and swimming. It should have benchmarks for a good score, with the option to repeat it as often as you want. There should be lots of description as far as tips and shortcuts. I think it would be horribly complex from a programmer's perspective, but would be beneficial in the long run.
EDIT: A short Q&A to setup voice chat would be great.
New Players: Do you want voice chat enabled? Most players say yes, so that you can hear other players and speak to them as well. (Yes / No) Do you want to use push-to-talk? Most players say yes, so that other won't hear you cough or yell at your dog.
Returning Players: Import voice settings from previous character? (Character1 / Character2 / etc... / No)

Question 6
"Tell Turbine" - If only a few people were permitted to read this thread, I would pick Turbine employees at multiple levels of responsibility. To me this is the most descriptive of the intended recipient.

Ink

Pellegro
02-18-2008, 03:00 PM
Question 1

Guild "stuff" (not sure its interface?). So much of this game is guild-centric and our options there are sooo limited (i.e. who's on, where they are, what class/level they are). I'm not saying you have to be in aguild to enjoy this game, but it makes a world of diff. I'm not sure what could be done but that's where'd I'd put my efforts (IMO).

EDIT: I would also love more than 10 toolbars. I need about 5 more. Seriously.

Question 2

Hmmm .... No idea. DDOs combat is prolly fave atm and why I stay .. its like FPS-lite.

Question 3

Nope. Unless someone wants to pony up the scratch. Oh and deal with the wife aggro.

Question 4

??? Not clicking ...

Question 5

Ohh, I'm glad you're asking that. I don't know, but its well worth focusing on. Maybe better tutorials? Maybe a longer (optional) tutorial that gives more feedback and does a better job of explaining the system? Hmm ... I'll give it some thought.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 03:24 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

That's a lot of questions! :eek:

1) I have to choose just one? From worst to least bad: Auction House, Enhancement-choosing UI, Options Panel, Social Panel, Character Select Screen, Level-Up UI, Quest Journal, Favor Window.

2) Favorite Feature Ever? DDO's character customization options (which was my favorite DDO feature).

3) Not likely.

4) Stop having regularly scheduled downtime during the prime playing time for us Deserted Islanders.

5) More, and better, explanations of the fundamentals of D&D. There's a lot of stuff that will make sense to D&D (3.5) players, but D&D 3.5 is a very complicated game and people who are coming to DDO without that background will have a very hard time understanding what affects what and so on. (Even just a better breakdown of what's making up various numbers, modifiers, etc. would be helpful.)

6) Time to Talk.

Kargon
02-18-2008, 03:28 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1. The 'Are Sure Want To Use Tome?' intermaface. or lack thereof ;)

2. Char Creatamor of City of Heroes

3. Comic Con San Diego

4. Send Tasty Ham!

5. Kargon get back to you on that one...

6. "Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum")

JTsays
02-18-2008, 03:45 PM
Question 1
Auction House, although improved, it does more, so it's naturally going to be more complicated and needs even more features; ie search for potency on any item.

Question 2
DDO really my only MMO, its combat method

Question 3
No

Question 4
My coordinates

Question 5
Knowledge sources , Mentors or doc's or tutorials

Question 6
"Tell Turbine"

whitenight
02-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Question 1
Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly?

Auction House - No search by keyword and needs more drop downs for Race, Stats, etc etc

Question 2
What are your favorite features of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise?

Custom Guild Ranks, Guild Bank, Guild Halls, PvP Servers, Ability to click on a player character and see what they are wearing (stats and equipment), Improvements to the UI such as adding digital hit point numbers under each party member to help clerics decide what heal to use and ability to link items through chat.

My main concern is giving love to guilds. DDO promised to give more features to guilds last fall and it never happened. 90% of the DDO community is in a guild does that not tell you something?

Question 3

No

Question 4

Heeeelp! If you don't get this in time please give more guild features!

Question 5

This game is pretty darn easy the way it is. Only thing that comes to mind is help MORE new players actually get the game by ADVERTISING

Question 6

Raiyea
02-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Question 1

Auction House. Being able to search for something by name would be a huge improvement.

Question 2

My favorite feature of DDO would definitely be the people. You can have the perfect combat system, perfect UI, and perfect graphics and it'd still only be half a game without good people.

Question 3

Probably not. I was really hoping to get to go to Gen Con, but it won't work out this year.

Question 4

"Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down. . .
Never gonna run around and desert you!
Never gonna make you cry, never gonna say goodbye. . .
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you!"
(Don't hurt me. . .)
Question 5

Hmm. . . Not sure on this one. :/
Maybe Make Euphonia's Challenge mandatory for new players?

Question 6

* "Tell Town Hall"
* "Tell Turbine"
* "Tell The Twelve"
* "Let's Talk About..."
* "Time To Talk"

WestiesMA
02-18-2008, 04:39 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Last week's questions:

1. I like it, when it comes.
2. 12 on 3 servers; range from 2-15 but most 10-15.
3. Indifferent I don't care what you call but what you do with the feedback!

This week's questions:

1. AH
2. Integrated voice chat
3. ComiCon, if that counts
4. Why is the "Recall" button greyed out?
5. Automatic inclusion in a "newbie guild" upon getting off the boat that has experienced players as officers
6. No opinion here - just make it clear!

geoffhanna
02-18-2008, 05:23 PM
#1: AH
#2: Velah. NOT the VON series but Velah herself. She rocks.
#3: Maybe Gencon, but definitely no others.
#4: Send more players! Oh, and a laptop and satellite modem, and game card...
#5: An acknowledgement or reward system for volunteer guides?
#6: I'm really trying to care... really... err. nope. Name it whatever, just make sure I can find it! :D

Tanka
02-18-2008, 05:26 PM
[CENTER]Question 1
AH. On the Social screen, you can search by a few different parameters. When are we going to get that for the AH?

[CENTER]Question 2
Voice chat. Instant communication between party members is a good, good thing. Much faster than typing "need cc here plz" or "trap" and watching the party rush by, not having seen the text.

[CENTER]Question 3
I'd thought about GenCon, but I don't think I can pull the money together in time. :(

[CENTER]Question 4
"Tell Kargon I found Tasty Ham Trees! Bring a boat!"

[CENTER]Question 5
A more instructive introduction to a few of the more common skills and abilities of various classes. Explaining what UMD does in the tutorial. Explaining how Trip and Sunder can be used and still causes damage even if the target makes their save.

[CENTER]Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Tell Turbine seems to be the best. It gets the point across that they are listening (well, reading) to us, even if the questions are sometimes rather limited in scope.

Teech
02-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Question 1
Not sure if I get it. If I do, I don't read it.

Question 2
10-15 alts. Mostly low level.

Question 3
Prefer current name. More personal. "Tell the Twelve" makes it sound exclusively for high level players or something...

Question 1
Auction House definitely.

Question 2
Quest based XP in DDO. Though would like more ways to complete a quest to really make this mechanic shine.
I still remember my first time in low road. Was really great that there was one path for those who like to kill their way through, and yet another for the more sneaky types. Very nice.

Question 3
No.

Question 4
Thanks for the game.

Question 5
Think of avenues to help them find/create social groups in game. IMO, the low-mid levels are already quite accessible (maybe not if you have little/no knowledge of D&D). The problem I have is the transition to high levels where a good guild really helps alot. Doesn't help that I'm in a weird timezone. Generally, helping people find/build social groups in-game will probably keep them around longer than anything else.
IMO anyway.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Knightrose
02-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Question 1
It's a good idea. Gotta keep advertisement alive somehow.

Question 2
Five. They range from lvl1-14

Question 3
'Tell Tolero' makes more sense to me. Let's just keep it as it is. No need to be fancy.

Question 1
Well you said 'user friendly' not 'requires more work'. So with that in mind I will easily say that the 'Options' Panel is the least user friendly. You have no confirmation box for changing graphics modes. If one makes a mistake, one REALLY makes a mistake.

Question 2
Combat. All forms of combat. The action has to be live and manual. Automation is never fun.

Question 3
Dunno.

Question 4
FIX 2HANDED WEAPON SPEEDS! *floats the bottle back*

Question 5
Global Chat and Auction Chat. If you use the same Nazis-like word filter you have now I'm certain it will be PG-13.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine" WINNER
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

HumanJHawkins
02-18-2008, 06:43 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

1. Auction House... Currently bugged so you can't re-bid on an auction. But even if this were fixed, the sorting doesn't work (It only sorts the current page, rather than sorting the entire item set... Even then, it only sorts one direction. There is no way to simply search for "potency" items for example... What if I don't care whether it is on a dagger or a club or a ring?

2. It's a toss up between voice chat and cooperative multiplayer. DDO has both, so way cool.

3. I wish. But no.

4. Um... "Send help. I am stranded on a desert island..."

5. Help new players... Maybe make them all be fighters until they get 50 favor and unlock other classes... Maybe make it 200 favor to unlock multi-classing. A new player coming in as a bard or wizard is flat out going to be toast in any of the solo content. And a lot of players want to get their feet wet solo first.

6. The name of this... Whatever you like. It's the substance that is nice. The name is irrelevant.

Thanks for this.

Lorien_the_First_One
02-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Question 1

Auction House. It's complete garbage. Back in the 80s the invented this thing called a search engine. You can build a simple one based on a simple keyword search, or a more complex one that lets you select in a more advanced manner. Either way if I'm looking for a potency VI item I shouldn't have to search through every single weapon page to find one, I should be able to just search for potency or potency VI items.

Question 2

I get to kill things without going to jail :)

Question 3

no, not nearly that geeky

Question 4

Someone get your butt down here with a greater teleport spell and get me out of here... or wait, never mind, it won't work, the island is a public instance.

Question 5

Stop adjusting the game for twinked out power gamers, its making new players miserable and they quit in frustration before they see what this game can offer

Question 6

Tell Tolero, sorry you're stuck with it now :p Oh wait, maybe Tell Merlask instead :D

lostinjapan
02-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Last Week's Questions

Question 1: What are your thoughts on the DDO Newsletter?
Interesting enough to read once...unfortunately it arrives in the mailbox of every character I have on both my accounts. :(

Question 2: How many, if any, alt characters do you currently have (having characters on more than one server counts as an "alt") and what is their basic level range? e.g. high level (from cap down to around level 12), mid level (from 11 down to 6), low level (from 5 down to 1)?

Thelanis: 7 high level, 2 mid level, 5 low level
Sarlona: 1 mid level, 9 low level
Khyber: 11 low level
Ghallanda: 9 low level
Argonessen: 9 low level

Question 3: What did you think of the alternate thread name "Tell The Twelve"?
I usually don't have time to read it. With as many posts and threads as are made in a day, I tend to 'skim'.

This Week's Questions:

Question 1: Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly? (e.g. Bank window, Auction House, the Social Panel, etc.)
Auction House. We need to be able to search for a particular word or attribute. The not-being-able-to-rebid bug needs to be fixed. Those are not the only issues, but the two main ones (IMO).

Question 2: What is your favorite feature of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise?
Auto-follow. Coded into almost every other online game I've ever played, this would be so awesome if it were added to DDO.

Question 3: Will you be attending any gaming conventions this year?
Not likely considering I currently live in Japan.

Question 4: You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write?
Someone bring me a laptop, a power line and hook me to the internet!

Question 5: What is one thing you feel would help new players in-game the most?
Updating the character generator. I'm not referring to 'fluff' like hair colors and body size additions (although those would be nice), simply updating the character generator to make a viable character from auto-generate would help the new player immensely. The current character auto-generator makes a rogue that can't disable high-end traps, among other things.

Question 6: If given a choice between the following thread titles for our weekly activity here, which would you select:
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Tell Tolero

Rog
02-18-2008, 06:45 PM
1. AH > the last hour on a bid is nerve racking.
2. ddo> party chat for everyone rocks i cant stand playing a online game without chat
3. nope unless your comming to hawaii i am sure you would enjoy the trip.
4. PLEASE CHANGE SNEAK MODE FOR THE ROG CLASS IF YOU SNEAK PAST 20 MOBS YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DISARM A TRAP WITHOUT LOSING YOUR SNEAK MODE WILLING TO TAKE NEGTIVES ON MY HIDE AND MOVE SILENT CHECK whats the point of sneaking past mobs if you cant do anything useful after the fact like open a door disarm a trap use a item?
5. positive partys help a lot there new they dont have uber stuff yet its up to the more experieced players to give them a hand and mybe give them so loot to get them on the way.
6.lets talk about
sorry for the caps in 4 it is really somthing i feel strongly about mostly right before dieing from 10 times the aggro than my poor rog can handle
lunarsong.

Sertrynus
02-18-2008, 06:52 PM
Question 1
The Craftinging UI is the most confusing. I was unsure at first of how to get the item into my pack (the orb looking like a twig didn't help). A text search option in the Auction House would also be a great help.....

Question 2
Star Wars Galaxies Crafting system, it was possible to be a crafting player online and didn't need to rely on ingredient drops, also recipes were dropped and didn't require players to invest time in trying to work out what goes with what, I believe that the learned Twelve would've already figured out the recipes......

Question 3
No, none in Australia that I am aware of

Question 4
Please come get me (might want to rethink this question as i'm sure ppl don't understand what your asking)

Question 5
A newbie channel/guild where newbies can ask questions and vets can answer them. (We would need to be a part of that guild as well as our own.) And indepth tutorials for all the game aspects.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
>>> "Tell Turbine" <<<
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Lost_Leader
02-18-2008, 07:10 PM
Question 1
Auction House. The fact that we cannot search for particular things drives me buggy. I know we can sort by level, but with so many modifiers in game that only narrows down the **** we have to sort through a little bit.

Question 2
DDO wins this with the quest system, and the fact we don't need to spend 30 minutes running through bear and giant hornet infested hills just to get to a quest entrance. I love that in order to put the random encounter feel in, a couple of quests of "pre-quest" areas. Path to Madness, Gateway to Khyber, Whisperdoom to name some. Then to compensate for dangerous journeys, the larger outdoor areas represent how some places are much tougher to get to.

Question 3
Maybe, time and funds permitting.

Question 4
I am out of Mountain Dew and Cheetos, someone save me!

Question 5
Maybe an ingame "help desk" sort of thing, and an item in inventory that told them where to find it on character creation. Perhaps a bulletin board in the Wavecrest. This could hold more information on how to get started, common lingo and abbreviations, a detailed harbor/stormreach map, ddo forum information, link to DDOcast, whatever else could be thought to be helpful. It could be done "in character" so as not to lose that pnp feel, which many players expect upon logging in for their first time.

Question 6

* "Tell Town Hall"
* "Tell Turbine"
* "Tell The Twelve"
* "Let's Talk About..."
* "Time To Talk"

sirgog
02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Question 1

Trade window (player-to-player trading generally - it's hard to organise as there's no in-game place for it, and the window bugs, keeps changing the amount of gold you posted, etc).

Question 2

Built-in voice chat

Question 3

No

Question 4

Remove VON and DQ prereqs, implement skill respecs, and get me off this island!

Question 5

More intelligently-designed starting characters (15 Str Bbn anyone???), and a few quests with rewards of expensive, but essential, potions such as Remove Blindness, Remove Curse and other similar effects.

Question 6

* "Tell Town Hall"
* "Tell Turbine"
* "Tell The Twelve"
* "Let's Talk About..."
* "Time To Talk"

Tell Tolero. That's what I'm doing. The name isn't broken, so don't fix it.

Affront
02-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Answer 1: social/grouping panel - if I'm gathering a party there is no quick way to get to the LFM window to accept/decline prospective members. I think it's five clicks and my mouse has to go from top of the screen to the middle to the bottom! It irritates me each and every time.

Answer 2: that the different roles of Team Fortress Classic were really really different - heavy gunners and scouts were not created equally. This is a big part of why I'm still playing DDO - not only are the classes different but individuals within those classes are different. A rogue is not always a rogue's rogue. And yes, sometimes, wizards can wipe the floor with barbarians and clerics.

Answer 3: No. But then I've never been to a gaming convention.

Answer 4: Help. Here is my /loc location; please get someone else to code the rescue ladder in the helicopter.

Answer 5: Improving the maps. It would be pretty cool for the party leader to be able to designate a quest and have that show up specially (with the usual arrow - maybe a green one - if the quest is off the map) on all party member's maps. it would also be nice if mousing over that arrow would tell quest members which house/area the quest is in if they are in a different house/area.

Answer 6: "Tell Tolero" or "Let's Talk About..."

MysticRhythms
02-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Question 1

Auction House - it desperately needs a search feature.

Question 2

DDO by a large margin.

Question 3

Yes. Many.

Question 4

Dear Turbine. Please make Skills more useful and grant me a bulk discount if I purchase multiple Turbine games. And get me some wireless out here on this island. Thank you.

Question 5

Either a dedicated server or just Turbine employees with low level characters available to answer "Ho do I do this?" questions for them. Barring that, a completely revamped players' guide.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Tell Tolero.

nbhs275
02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Question 1
The collectors, takes what seems forever to run from house to house, and talk to all of them to turn in the different little nik naks for very little reward. Would be nice to atleast be able to give all of the items you have collected to them in bulk, instead of click dialog for ten minutes.
Question 2
DDO's build system, its nice to be able to make a build completely to your specs, not a "your a X, you can only do Y and Z" mock up like some other games...like the one that share an acronym with my gym.
Question 3
Will you be attending any gaming conventions this year?I wish...but it really should be colleges im attending this year.

Question 4
You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write?send help! and maybe a laptop with a few batteries...so i can keep up my raiding while i wait.

Question 5
What is one thing you feel would help new players in-game the most?A little questionary type of deal that comes up when you create the first character on an account, so that it can tell you what might be a good idea for you to play.

Question 6
[LIST]
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

can't we call it stormreach round table discussions? Tell tolero does kinda seem like a talk show...

Kevlar
02-18-2008, 07:34 PM
Question 1

In the Auction House I don't seem to be able to rebid from the Bids window, I always get an error. I have to go back to Auctions and refind the item to rebid.

Also if someone sends you a Tell, I know there's a way to respond directly from the chat window but it isn't very obvious or it doesn't work for me.

Question 2

Being able to alter the look/color of your items has gotten a lot of lip service.

I like the mini-games in Hellgate: London.

Question 3

No.

Question 4

Dear Turbine,

I am stranded on a desert island. My new best friend, Wilson, says that I should suspend my DDO subscription until I get back.

Question 5

An in-game encyclopedia of common terms, rules, etc.

Question 6

"Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum") I suppose... they all sound Oprah Winfreyish.

ViVid7th
02-18-2008, 08:34 PM
Question 4

Question 5

Same thing for both these questions. A new 'newbie help interface' needs to be added for the FIRST time someone turns on the game to help them through character creation (Explaining the classes more than those short videos, explaining feats and skills, talking through some class basics and about combat IE spell casting, and the importance of stats and saves), bonuses from buffs (the different types of bonuses, and how stacking effects them), basic UI modifying (How to detach bars, move them, etc) and the general basics of planning and playing, including MCing, BEFORE their character is created. This little 'Navi' could also be reopened during game play to go over previous questions and answers...

There is allot of general help that new players need, that has the option to be skipped, that is pushed onto the players. You shouldn't have them looking for it, and it should include a guide for helping on how to find things and certain areas.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

"Tell Tolero" is cool, would be really cool if you could subtext in "Provide me with the material I need to beat others over the head with!"

PS:

Question 1

Macro Interface. Make it, get it, install it. Running a macro system on the old MUD mainstay in a HUD interface game is a real pain, moreso with the lack of options for the chat boxes for customization (For the love of god! Please add in a font size select!). And a search <string> function for the AH, and...

winsom
02-19-2008, 05:36 AM
Question 1

Easy one. The NPC Enhancement trainer GUI is terrible due to the amount of refreshing / lack of "memory" for my previous choices.

Question 2

Being able to FLY in City of Heroes, Teleport during combat, knock villians off their feet or entangle them. D&D has magic that would enable DDO characters do this too.. (Hint!)

Question 3

a few small Role-playing game conventions where I live in Arizona, and also Dundracon in San Ramon, CA and Strategicon in Los Angelas, CA.

Question 4

HELP! Send Airship at once! Royal princess and many children are enslaved are here uh, mining adamantine near LOTS of locked treasure chests! [Bluff]

Question 5

the ability to completely respec their character's alignment, ability scores, skills, et all, so they wouldn't feel down about re-rolls based on game complexity.

Question 6

"Tell Turbine

Memnir
02-19-2008, 07:41 AM
Question 1
It would come down to either the Auction House, and it's lack of being able to filter items to find exactly what I'm looking for (only being able to sort by Level and Buyout is insufficiant - I hate sifting past all the Rings of Con +1 and Useless Fluff, for example); and the forming a party screen. I find that the navigation through several windows to see who is asking to join my party - and to then Accept or Decline them - is cumbursome and inefficiant.

Question 2
I come from the FPS online game culture origionaly - so this is pretty much non-applicable. The only thing that I enjoyed there more than here was the ability to change the way my gear looked via Skinning. Yes, you gave us the ability to skin the UI, but I doubt you'll ever let me reskin my armor that is great except for the fact that it looks like it was designed by a gender-confilicted Gnome on speed.

Question 3
Yes, I will be at PAX once again this year. It'd be really nice to see DDO represented in some way shape or form. Every other major MMO had a presance at PAX last year except DDO - and many people I met at the con took that to be a sign the game had failed or was failing. Take that for what it's worth...

Question 4
"Nice to see some advertising, next time try a more major market.
Sincerly,
Steeltoe"

Question 5
Better pre-generated classes - these have needed a fresh pass for a while now. Less confusing descriptions of Feats and abilities.

Question 6
Tell Tolero

aldan
02-19-2008, 08:06 AM
Question 1
Auction House, no filters to look for exactly what you want.
Question 2
Sense of adventure that DDO is losing. Starting to become a grindfest due to lack of content so more timesinks are needed.
Question 3
Never
Question 4
Advertise this GEM and hire more content geniuses.
Question 5
A starter course on character classes, grouping, NPCs, guest getting, etc. Could have the intro course in the beginner tavern in a room somewhere. I see to many new peeps that no clue whats going on at all.
Question 6
Time To Talk"

miceelf88
02-19-2008, 08:59 AM
1. Auction house. We really need a search function

2. hard to pick one, but much of DDO is better than anything else I've tried.

3. No.

4. "Is anyone out there? This is the 70th bottle I've sent out asking about the reflex saves and damage on traps on elite, and I'm getting nothing back but empty bottles. For the 71st time, are the reflex saves and damage on traps intended. Do you really mean a level 1 quest on elite to have a dc 30 reflex save? Do you really intend to further pigeonhole rogues so that they must hyperspec to address certain unavoidable traps, and thus be useless outside of those quests?"

5. Some hints about the social panel, looking for game interface that describes what they are likely to expect in groups, not just the mechanical description of how social panels work. Also, perhaps an officially sanctioned buddy/newbie helper system, where players get some minor ingame benefit if they commit to a certain amount of time a week helping newbies.

6. Tell Telero is fine. But please read #4. it's really getting ridiculous that no one has spoken about this at all.

Vorn
02-19-2008, 09:06 AM
1. Auction house interface/filters
2. Character creation/customization in DDO
3. No
4. More, more, more--advertising for the game, fighter prestige enhancements, dungeons that feature epic adventure over grind, live events, ...
5. Better built base characters in the default character generation section...maybe a handful of templates for each classs vice one.
6. Tell Tolero--I like the idea, even if it is illusionary, of actually talking to a particular individual vice an organization.

Yaga_Nub
02-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Question 1

The new mail interface.

Question 2

Customing the look of your character and being able to change it at any time.

Question 3

Only if someone from DDO (NOT LOTR) is going to be there. I guess it's okay if they work on both but they better know DDO pretty damn well.

Question 4

A treatise on issue resolution and what I like to call the "Baby Steps Method."

Question 5

A server just for them or easily identifiable volunteer helpers.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..." Because it makes the song pop up in my head every time I read that.
"Time To Talk"

Answers above.

Shaamis
02-19-2008, 09:47 AM
"Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum")those are my votes

frederjoe1
02-19-2008, 10:44 AM
Question 1

Auction house; need a way to sort that is a bit more user-friendly

Question 2

Customing the look of your character and being able to change it over time.

Question 3

Nope

Question 4

Great advertising!!!!!! You may want to expand your targeted demographic though.

(Just as a side note, is this question here just to break up the monotony and make all these responses at least readable? Just wondering cause that would have been my reason for this question)
Question 5

An updated manual or a mentoring type program.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"

Dirkan
02-19-2008, 11:43 AM
Question 1

Auction House

Question 2

/fillcomps from Asheron's Call

Question 3

No

Question 4

Please spend more time on adding more dungeons of varying lengths and less on explorer areas. Please add Raid loot to the new raid, including +3 bound tomes. Please do a better job testing, correcting legitamate bugs instead of things like stopping spinning at shrines.

Question 5

An influx of new players to run with them...

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Don't Care...

narizue
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
Question 1

Prolly the auction house as its searchability is still very limited. A smarter search engine would cut down on sifting through a lot of the junk that gets listed.

Question 2

I love the integral voice in DDO. [COLOR]

Question 3

[COLOR="red"]*crosses fingers* Gencon hopefully.

Question 4

Get me out of here before my next guild raid!!!!

Question 5

A fresh infusion of new quests at lower levels so that experienced players are playing new content not just power-leveling through it.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

/shrug.
Though tell Turbine is prolly most accurate.

aurus33
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM
1. Auction House

2. Combat system definitely!!

3. I wish, I dont live in the states u know :)

4. I'll code for food!!

5. Easy-to-find information

Akhad_Durn
02-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Question 1

The quest log, I basically have never used it due to figuring out early on that its hard/impossible to locate a quest giver or entrance using it. There needs to be better organization, maybe a search engine to find the quest information if I don't know what node to look into. Related areas should be grouped together, so that I know that Necropolis is accessed through House P.

Question 2

The adjustable UI of Guild Wars. The UI can be scaled to fix the size that I want. I think it also let me remove/hide any items that I wasn't interested in.

Question 3

Nope.

Question 4

Send solar powered mobile system with satellite uplink, _*need*_ to play DDO. :cool:

Really though, this is an odd question... what are you asking?

Question 5

Not sure if this would really help them the most or not. I've found that the solo only quests to be easier than the Goodblade quests when starting a new char. Once someone new gets kicked out of the Wavecrest they are basically are going to head straight for Goodblade, since he's the only quest giver down there. Maybe move the solo only quests down into the lower harbor, or somehow direct new people to them.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

"Tell Tolero"

It is unique and personal at the same time. I guess I'd go with "Turbine Town Hall" if it was an option. :p

ccheath776
02-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Question 1

The best has got to be the character sheet which shows you enough information to plan your character. The worst is still the enhancement UI. Its sometimes hard to figure out which enhancement is for what and how much it costs.

Question 2

The best feature is in DDO and Guild wars. I like the instance quests. no running to everywhere or figuring out how to get to something or running for 2 hours just to see something. Its form a party and go. The other Feature I have seen that I enjoy is Combo attacks. When you do them in a certain sequence you unleash powerful additional attacks that were pretty cool to watch. Dont know if that would work in DDO but I have to admit it was pretty cool.

Question 3

Yes. The GDA convention and Dragon con.

Question 4

Yes Yes, I have a statement. GET ME OUUUUTA HERE!!!

Question 5

A follow command. Many other MMO's have this. DDO still does not. I would also think some trainer bots would be nice. In Guild wars you can invite basically fighter and healer bots. They helped in the lower levels when you were soloing since most of the higher experienced players were not around to run those.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Tell Tolero.. nuff said really.

Hambo
02-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1). Auction House. We have the ablity to sort by level, Item type, if there's a buyout, etc. but it would also be nice to have a window to type in a modifier, i.e. to be able to show only vorpal weapons, feather fall items. etc.

2). Appearance customization

3). Predicated on two situations: a). There are any within a days' drive, and b). disposable income to make the trip worthwhile

4). uhhhhh... Greater Teleport scroll? :D

5). The ability for experienced users to temporarily "gimp" an alt to go run lower level quests and help new players, with perhaps a dual guild membership so that the level appropriate version belongs to the "Mentors of Stormreach" guild or somesuch to make them easier for novices to locate.

6). Tell Town Hall is good...

Klattuu
02-19-2008, 03:14 PM
Question 1

The DDO Newsletter is great for anyone who isn't active on the forums or is currently not playing the game. For the habitually informed, it is kind of anti-climactic. One thing that could really spice it up is a link to a movie or story.

Question 2

4 alts levels 2,6,8,and 11.

Question 3

The name is obsure and doesn't make a lot of sense for players not heaped in the DDO lore

Question 1

-The biggest problem I have with interfaces is when I have to use 2 together and they overlap. Posting an auction and the inventory interface is a good example. It would be great if the auction posting interface included an inventory interface similar to a vendors sell interface.
-The UI for LFM tends to be a bit cumbersome to if you wish to start moving toward the quest or begin questing while still looking for that elusive cleric. To be able to toggle the UI to a smaller version so it is not covering the screen would be a great benefit.
-In some places, especially those where the is a lot of overlapping dungeons, the map UI is almost completely useless. The map has no 3d quality while many of the dungeons use the z access a lot.

Question 2

I loved the music system in Asheron's Call 2 and I really appreciate the LOTR music system.

Question 3

Looking at Gencon in Indy

Question 4

Please send some tasty ham and a greater teleport scroll

Question 5

Make sure the compendium is completely up to date and link it to the ingame help system

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

tharveysinjin
02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Q: What are your thoughts on the DDO Newsletter?
A: It's another nice way to keep communications open.

Q: How many, if any, alt characters do you currently have (having characters on more than one server counts as an "alt") and what is their basic level range? e.g. high level (from cap down to around level 12), mid level (from 11 down to 6), low level (from 5 down to 1)?
A: 7 high level, 1 mid level, 1 low level

Q: What did you think of the alternate thread name "Tell The Twelve"?
A: It's fine

Q: What is your favorite feature of any online game you've ever played, DDO or otherwise?
A: other on-line games modeled after D&D had the spell "Fly".

Q: Will you be attending any gaming conventions this year?
A: No

Q: You're stranded on a desert island. You find a bottle with the Turbine logo on it, a pen, and some paper. What do you write?
A: Dear Turbine. Originally, I was going to ask you to organize a rescue. I've since changed my mind. I've come across the broken hull of the SS Minnow, and, after a brief search, I've located the survivors. Yes, Gilligan is an idiot. The professor is a pencil-necked-geek with pipe-cleaner arms and the skipper has eaten a tad too many banana cream pies. What I am trying to say is that I have no real competition. Now, when someone asks me if I prefer Mary Anne or Ginger, I can just say, "Yes". I've enclosed a check for multiple copies of DDO and the latest Alienware PCs on which to play the game. I had Mr. Howell pad the check with a couple extra hundred thousand dollars: ENJOY! Please don't send the items via Fedex. I shudder to think of what ingenious use Tom Hanks would find for the ribbon cables. PS. The consensus on the island is that the crafting system is not really crafting. it's just a grind for ingredients. Everyone here thinks that you should model crafting as it is done in D&D.

Q: What is one thing you feel would help new players in-game the most?
A: AI sidekicks, who could act as a defacto group.

Q: If given a choice between the following thread titles for our weekly activity here, which would you select:
A: Tell Turbine

Hakushi
02-20-2008, 12:36 AM
Question 1

The Social Panel

Question 2

Character Customization

Question 3

No

Question 4

Please get me out of here, I'll pay double, even triple my subscription fee. ;)

Question 5

Improve the tips and descriptions on character creation to match what is really used and useful in the game. Also update the compendum.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

I like Tell Tolero the most in these choices. Tell Turbine seems good, but looks too official, I would much prefer something like: Tell The Devs.

GoldyGopher
02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Question 1
The Adventure Compendium. Doesn't provide enough detail.

Question 2
PVP

Question 3
I actually run one.

Question 4
CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT

Question 5
A Better Map system.

Question 6
Who really cares what it is called as long as Turbine uses the information.

DagazUlf
02-20-2008, 10:35 AM
Answer 1
LEAST = Social, LEASTER = Enhancements, LEASTEST = Auction House :p

Answer 2
Character Customization

Answer 3
Not this year.

Answer 4
MEMORANDUM

NOTE: THIS MEMORANDUM SURPASSES ALL OTHER DEVELOPMENT PRIORITIES IN IMPORTANCE!

Implementation of randomized encounters must proceed at once. Ignoring the formulaic nature of completing current raid quests is acceptable in order to proceed with random encounter tables and placements throughout existing and future quests. Continue with setpiece NPC encounters, but begin to provide more random guardian encounters, random encounter placement, more trap selection and randomization, and development of small easily-placed puzzles.

Our quests need to provide some freshness whether run for the first or hundredth time. This is the most expeditious and efficient way we can provide our customers with the content they crave and absorb at an alarming rate, and it must be our sole focus.

You all are doing a truly spectacular job, but we just need to change gears slightly and continue to make DDO one of, if not the, most engrossing game on the market.

Signed,
The Boss
:D

Answer 5
A guild run by Turbine employees that is only available for the first few levels.

Answer 6

Westerner
02-20-2008, 12:16 PM
last week's questions

Question 2
Two high level characters

Question 3
I think it's a very good name

This week's questions

Question 1
Social Panel. It's hard to figure out what everything does. Some mouse-over tool tips would help. Better still if you had a UI wizard to step you through the process of creating a party. 1) Pick your quest from a multi-sortable list 2) Choose your level range and classes 3) Enter comment 4) confirm party creation. And what does that normal/hard/elite radio button do, anyway?

Question 3
No

Question 5
I think what new players need most is other new players, but it's too hard for them to find each other.

New LFM Option: Quest Speed
1-Casual: Never done this, let the rogue scout ahead, take it slow, explore all areas
2-Experienced: We've done this before but don't know every inch, don't freak out if I fall off, regroup before large fights, occasional side quests/exploration
3-Zerg: We've done this a ton of times and know every major part of the quest. Be self-sufficient, keep up or get left behind, regroup at toughest fights only.

Question 6

"Tell The Twelve"

Best choice, nice tie to in-game content

In_Like_Flynn
02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Last week's question(s)

Question 2
I delete it the moment it arrives. I read the forums, so it's usually old news.

Question 2
How many, if any, alt characters do you currently have?
Main is 14. Alts are 14, 12, 10, 9, 5, 2.

Question 3
The Twelve doesn't resonate with me. A straightforward Tell Turbine would be fine by me.

This week's question(s)

Question 1
Which in-game interface/UI do you find to be the least user friendly?
The help screen.

Question 2
In the early days of DDO, my favorite feature was that grouping was all but required, and full groups were common.

Question 3
No. I've enough trouble finding the time to play.

Question 4
My will.

Question 5
A longer training cycle. Close the gates from the starting area again. Push them back to learn more about how to play.

Question 6
Tell Turbine.

Barumar
02-20-2008, 01:07 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

1 No issues with any of them (currently)

2 DDO - hands down!

3 Probably not :(

4 Get me out of here? Or at least send a Computer, loaded with DDO, and the power/connection to play?

5 An updated Compendium? Seriously I think more patient/friendly players to guide/encourage them to keep playing!

6 Definetely Tell Tolero - as you are the one asking the questions/reading the replies!

thanks for asking!

Barumar

RazorrX
02-20-2008, 02:08 PM
Question 1

While I really do not have any problems as far as non user friendly interface, I do wish the AH had some more options like a search function (IE search for 'mithril' and find anything that has mithril tag)

Question 2

I think almost every game I have played has has some cool features, and without going into gripes, etc. or changing something core to DDO I would say one thing that was really fun in the original SWG was the way entertainer worked. The way music was more dynamic would have been really cool for bards. It would be cool if Bards could actually play in taverns and speed up healing or something if you listen to them.

(EDIT) Miss read to think it excluded DDO. I would have to say that my favorite thing of any MMO is the DDO combat system. That and the fact it is D&D and set in Eberron. Those trump any other game so far.

Question 3

I gave up gaming conventions a few years back.

Question 4

"Dear Turbine, Help. I am trapped on a desert Island somewhere near these coordinates (last log entry on the ship if I know it) I was on (fill in the ship/plane) bound from A to B. Please notify the Coast Guard and have them send someone to hopefully save me.

Thank you.

PS - - When I get back home from this stinking island and can play again, can I have a Shifter Ranger?"

Question 5

Hard question. Since now there are so many solo options for lower level quests, it is not that hard to be able to level to 3 or 4 before you really start needing a group. (You really still don't but you are missing some quests that give good loot by then) I think the interface is fine, the initial experience is good. Heck it is what got me to get two friends to join when I tried it out. I think the biggest problem is good groups, and that is not a thing Turbine can fix.

Maybe having some npc tell the new player where to go to level up? I know they just have to wander around to find it now, but generally you have another dot filled up by the time you are out of the tavern.

Or on the starter Island, have training rooms for things like tumbling, jumping, etc. Maybe an obstacle course room, a room to learn stealth and explain the sound and eye things as far as how you are spotted, etc. None of these are really needed, but they could help some people newer to to online gaming / mmos learn how to play a tad bit quicker.

Other than that, I think they have done a good job as far as new players go.

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve" <-------- Gets my Vote
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

TommyBoy
02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
If you missed last week's questions, you're welcome to answer them now in addition to this week's:[/center]

Question 1

Even though i think ive signed up for it like 5 times i never seem to get one except like ever 6 months. other then that its not bad

Question 2
How many, if any, alt characters do you currently have (having characters on more than one server counts as an "alt") and what is their basic level range? e.g. high level (from cap down to around level 12), mid level (from 11 down to 6), low level (from 5 down to 1)

Around 30 mid to low average is lvl 5/6. alot are test builds on other severs then the one i play on. Ide say out of the 30 i play about 12 with any regularity. I defently would like more character spaces

Question 3

I didnt care for it. I like the orginal one because it seemed more personal.

Question 1

the report one by far

Question 2

CoX's character creator. Followed by combat and stat/skill/feat set up of ddo

Question 3

Most likely no because they do typicly come to central florida

Question 4

HELP wilson and I are suck on this island and well coconuts are getting a little old.

Question 5

more knowledge. the only thing that going to help is to learn first hand. Ive been here since the begining and I still learn new stuff like tatics of using new spell or skill

Question 6
[LIST]
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."

Tell Telero

The_Phenx
02-20-2008, 03:49 PM
Question 1

Backpack... why oh why wont things stay where I place them so I can organize my stuff and keep it that way.

Question 2

Combat system in DDO

Question 3

Nope.

Question 4

Can you get me an internet connection and a laptop out here? or
Why cant fighters get a crit range enhancement/feat too.

Question 5

A potion of anti newbieness? Hardest thing for me when I was new was learning what stacked with what, perhaps something along those lines in descriptions or... ???

Question 6

* "Tell Town Hall"
* "Tell Turbine"
* "Tell The Twelve"
* "Let's Talk About..."
* "Time To Talk"

* "Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum") Time to talk sounds like a Mr. Rodgers thing :)

Ministry
02-21-2008, 01:58 PM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Question 1

Probably the Social Panel, but just for the sake of grouping, posting LFM's, creating teams, inviting...

Question 2

By far and hands down, the custom toon generator and costume generator in City of Heroes / City of Villains. I still have my account there and can't tell you how much fame / infamy I spent altering my looks on a regular basis.

Question 3

No Conventions. I work too hard, have a wife and puppies and need all the free time I have for playing DDO.

Question 4

Please send me a greater teleport scroll, some spell components... or just send me a big boat to get me off this stOOpid island... :)

Question 5

Hands down... more tutorials, a better in game manual, and maybe an in-game social hall that is huge and it's primary function is to bring new players together to help each other, and vet players can go there when they have free time to help out a new player, similar to Ren's Sponsor program.

Question 6

"Let's Talk About..."

rfachini
02-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Question 1
Decent Newsletter, but should come more often and have more content.

Question 2
I don't have a "main" character. I have 14 characters on my main server and 3 on another server. None are "mules". Most are high level (8 are level 15), a few are mid level, five are low level.

Question 3
It's OK. Better than Tell Tolero.

Question 3
Most likely not.

Question 4
I write... "Someone PLEASE get me off this ******* ISLAND!!!" Then maybe a long masterfully written post-script about how to make DDO the best MMO ever. Then I write, "Why is the rum always GONE?"

Question 5
Teaming up with someone who knows the ropes. Maybe for one month a new player could chose to activate a special New Player LFG. This would be for new Players, not new Characters.

Question 6

"Tell Turbine"

HighJoe
02-21-2008, 06:49 PM
Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

This weeks answers are

Answer 1 THE BACKPACK!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. STOP SHIFTING AROUND OUR BACKPACK CONTENTS. Many of us like our backpacks ordered in such a way that all of this or that item is located in a particular area. This makes it easier to take a quick peek at our inventory and see if we're running low on this or that item (i.e. arrows, wands, etc). Also, many like myself, like to keep our weapons and other equipment located in a particular tab of the backpack for orders sake. I can't stand it that every time I change out a weapon set, the previous weapon set gets dropped in my first (first tab on left of backpack) backpack space. Even if I moved all weapons to that space, they would only get shifted around again as I aquired loot because as soon as a space is empty in that pack by my equiping a weapon set, the next loot item I pickup with fill THAT slot and my next weapon change would put my old weapons in the NEXT available slot. I'm sorry, but that's the most irritating setup I've ever seen.

Answer 2 The live combat system of DDO. I could never stand the "select an action" combat interfaces of other games.

Answer 3 I wish!

Answer 4 PLEASE FIX GREATER TELEPORT! I'M STUCK IN A PUBLIC INSTANCE! Thank you. :p

Answer 5 Mentorship. Many of us already do what we can, but it takes a community effort. To those that do this already, good on you. To those that don't, please consider it.

Answer 6 T3 (Tell The Twelve), or 3T if copy right infringement is an issue. :eek: :D

QuixoticDan
02-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Question 1

I'm not rich enough in-game to use the Bank or the AH. The only thing that actually bugs me is the Social Panel--specifically, being the leader of a group. Finding a group's not too bad, but trying to manage one can be a bit of a pain (especially since the name of the party management button remains "Create Party" even when you're in a party). Trying to explain how to put up a LFM to a new person is a bit complicated.
Next up is not so much user un-friendly, but the quest journal could be a little more efficient. Being able to find quests by area is handy, but I only use it to check how close I am to my next Explorer, Rares, or Slayer XP in the few outdoor areas I can survive in (I'm a n00b). Usually when I think "What should I do next?" I pull up the Patrons/Adventures page and sort by level, doing the first quest I haven't completed yet. Seems that maybe these two dialogs could be folded together...but again, it's not really a real problem.

Question 2

The character details for AC1 and DDO; I'm a total reroll freak in every RPG and MMO I've ever played. I've never hit a level cap. Heck, I don't even finish single-player RPG's most of the time, I'm so busy rerolling. Having detailed character systems like AC1 and DDO keeps me busy for a long time (5 years for AC1, still busy with DDO). Plus, I like the ragged-edge feeling of playing a gimpy character--when you finally do succeed, it feels soooo much better than on an optimal build.

Question 3

It would be fun, but locale and employment constraints say no.

Question 4

No littering? Post no bills? Here's your bottle back? ;)
If I had one important message to deliver to Turbine it would either be A) please get with Monte Cook for a DDO 'expansion'/sequel or B) please get the rights to do a Brian Jacques MMO before somebody goofy like SOE does (both comments on Turbine's commitment to lore in their which is nothing short of outstanding)

Question 5

D&D 3.5 is a fairly complex game system (if you're coming from a non-RPG background, or a lighter MMO like WoW), and the extra UI management on top of that in DDO make for a fairly rough beginning. I'm not so much bothered about making 'bad' character design decisions (gimps are almost a preference for me), but maybe a better explanation of what decisions can be made, what can be changed (feat and enhancement respec), and some possible impacts (UMD or not? Will you need Diplomacy, Bluff, Intimidate?). Also, more personal preference showing through, but a larger number of level 1-6 quests, especially soloable quests designed to teach some class-based gameplay. Harbor quests like defending the big box from the Quickfoot gang, and the quest where you steal the Eye of Khyber but can't kill too many kobold prophets doing it, really highlight the situational capabilities of each class, and have gone a long way to helping me figure out what each character can and should do in a party setting. I think the best thing for new players, however, is patient and tolerant experienced players who are willing to help them learn, instead of just instructing them their character is a permanent loss and they should reroll immediately to be viable at level 16. Yeah, a little angst there. ;)

I loved when the /helper emote was added to AC, that would broadcast to newer players which older players are willing to take the time. Maybe something ala /lfh, or the LFG marker?

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall" <--- uh...
"Tell Turbine" <--- Accurate, but kinda corporate
"Tell The Twelve" <--- um...
"Tell Tolero" (EU: "Tell Tolero & Deum") <--- Personal and Accurate. I approve! :)
"Turbine's Stormreach Survey" <--- Accurate, but kinda corporate
"Let's Talk About..." <--- eh...
"Time To Talk" <--- hrm...

Brianius
02-22-2008, 11:14 AM
1 the quest ui
2 true question: what do u want in a mmo? swg with ddo combat and a winabgo
3 gencon if its not on her b-day again
4 id draw a tasty ham and eat it or if a response is needed get me a job
5 new player chat channel (possibly only chat channel for trial accounts
6 tell tolero
This weeks response brought to you by a psp ...

I_Bob
02-22-2008, 01:54 PM
1. The AH - sort function really needs work, re-bid bug bad
2. DDO combat
3. no
4. Guessing you want us to send Turbine suggestions:
a. love to be able to earn 2 more bank slots
b. backpacks that don't shuffle
c. more randomness, therefore interest and surprises
d. a way for clerics to recharge non-broken wands once or twice to help get them out of poverty.
5. Need a real manual that actually explains how all this works. Also, maybe a vet callboard located in the harbor and/or taverns so the noobs could get questions answered, get a guide, etc.
6. Tell Tolero has a nice ring to it.

Claver
02-23-2008, 11:33 AM
Question 1

The auction house is ok but I really wish we could search for a specific phrase such as "paralyzer" across all weapons rather than having to scroll through page after page of individual weapon entries. If this is too difficult at least give me the option of searching for a phrase within a specific category i.e., "giant relics" within collectibles

Question 2

The private instanced dungeons of DDO that promote team work and quick grouping rather than endless travel across landscape. Asheron's Call did have a cool mentoring program and I liked the physical element of actual crafting items in Everquest II by using a forge, spinning wheel, lathe etc.

Question 3

Probably not in the sense that you mean. I live in Atlanta where Dragoncon is held. Every year I go to watch the parade and sometimes gawk at people in costume at the bar of the hotel. I don't actually attend the convention.

Question 4

Two things. First, please ship me an attractive mail order bride. Second, run the following promotion to vest the community in the game world. Each month, randomly select 20 player accounts that have been active for 6 or more consecutive months. Give those players an opportunity to compete for a guest spot as a the dungeon master narrator voice for one of the dungeons in the next update. Turbine is free to select the candidate they feel could best perform this role. Not everyone has a good radio voice or can read dramatically. It would be so cool to know my voice would be forever associated with a particular dungeon in the game that I love. WE already have voice chat; at least half the people I PUG with sound like they could do better than Gary Gygax

Question 5

Just as there is an Icon for "Looking for Group"; have the first character in a new account start play with a "New Player" Icon toggled over their head. Have a pop up hint showing how to toggle this feature off (like the anonymous feature). Presently, we can see all players online (who are not anonymous) that are looking for group. On the same screen, show those players that are new.

I would certainly volunteer my help to a new player if I wasn't busy. There are a lot of times I log onto the game just to update a bid on an auction or I am killing some time waiting to meet up with some other players. I would enjoy mentoring a new player. DDO has an older crowd; the nature of the game promotes cooperation. I think lots of other players would be very helpful too. There would be some abuse but in general I have much more faith in this community than other MMOs

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Tell Turbine!!! Make it clear this thread is a dialog with development

dnorm
02-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Hrm only can really comment on two of the questions...

Question 2

Played so many... so I'll give you a list:
1. RF Online: Your bank exists across your account instead of for each individual character, so transfering items between characters is easy.
2. City of X: Newbie quest lines are very directed, you can go from one to the next and know exactly where to go.
3. LotRO: Sexy gfx! (well done guys)

Question 5
What are the three things you feel would help new players in-game the most? (tee hee)

Well since you asked...

1. More direction... I found guard Helfdane (sp?) and his "Make yourself known" quest helped me find my way around the Harbour, then after I made it through the Water Works and made my glorious entrance into the Market... well I have no idea who to talk to or where to find them.

2. There are lots of quests, but you have to do them multiple times each to level. As an example if you complete every level 1 quest you will be level 2. If you complete every level 2 quest you should be level 3. This hasn't been my experience...

3. Difficulty level shoots up very quickly. The difficulty of doing a level 1 or 2 quest on "Solo" is pretty low, but a level 3 quest is rather murderous. Solo should allow me to, well... solo the quest without being a level above it. I'm not sure what level characters start coming into their own, but they feel a bit on the weak side still at lvl 3 to start forcing normal difficulty quests. I really hate forced parties.

xynxie
02-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Only 2 questions I feel qualified to answer as a noob and that is 1 and 5. #1: In game help FAQ section....just over 3k tickets n there and I swear to ya at last half are repeated in ten different forms....but this could be solved with my response to question #5: #et an honest to goodness game guide made up....the compendeum is at best ok..but a true game manual is needed IMO, that gets into the finer points of the game...example would be Class minimum stat to cast spells, so that if I planned to multi class down the road I would know to have an intell of 11. Another thing that could be put in a manual is the explanation of what potions and wands do....some of us didn,t know that it was akin to the magic users spells...so had no idea what did what till I wasted one to find out and most times even that didn,t help...protection of evil and bless being a couple examples. Explanations as to what levels you gain feats ad whether they are cklass level based or charater level based. At any rate....the thing could be indexed and the links all put on one page so ya could have faster ways ti find these things out....I want to play not navigate tons of forums and weirdly configured compendeum links...that rarely gets me what I am looking for. These are but a few examples and as I am typing on my phone forgive the brevity...but my thubs are cramping

ViVid7th
02-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Question 5

One more thing, in game have a chat channel that is the default open for accounts less than one month old. Have people able to ask questions about anything in game and have GM's, or other players that are part of a turbine created guild, there to answer questions. Make it a chat channel only available to accounts or characters flagged to be in there

Fleet
02-24-2008, 01:07 AM

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 1: I like the newsletter. I haven't played for some time and it was nice to have an idea of what was going on. The last newsletter is what finally brought me back to the game.

Question 2: I have one alternate character that I haven't played since around the time the game came out, he is level 1 still I believe.

Question 3: Personally it didn't effect me much since I wasn't really around, but I think I prefer a name that reflects better the nature of what this is. Calling it Tell the Twelve gives me the impression that it is somehow an extension of the in-game experience and we are giving feedback within the context of the fictional world of the game. That is not really what this is about though, and the name needs to make that clear.

Question 1

Question 2

Question 3

Question 4

Question 5

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Question 1: I find the Adventure Compendium to be lacking. It is easy to get to the adventure compendium from your quest list, but I often try to use the compendium to find out what quests are out there that I haven't had the chance to pursue. To me it feels kind of like the compendium is a way to make up for the fact that in the real world you can find out about new things because people talk about them and you pick up little pieces here and there during the day. In the game though, you don't hear people talking, in fact no one is talking. There is some chatting going on, but that is usually focused on exactly what you are doing or want to know at the time. The place where people might be talking about stuff is in the forums or other places on the internet. That of course is no good when you are in game; who wants to be popping in and out of Stormreach to get the scoop on what is out there and where they might want to go next. The Adventure compedium is the closest we have to a water cooler where we might hear about what is going on and what quests are out there to discover. It is also the only way we have of keeping track of what we have done. The problems I have with the compendium are, first, that when I find quests in the list that I am interested in I have no way of knowing whether I already have the quest. Second, when I am on a multipart quest I find it really hard to keep track of what is going on and where I need to go next. The compendium doesn't show the names of the overall quest arch, like say Waterworks for example, and quite often I can't even seem to find the names of the parts that I am doing, and I can't tell when a quest is part of one of these multipart quests. Maybe I am just not using it right, but having not played much after beta, and being new to the game again after being gone for so long, I find that the Adventure Compendium, as difficult as I find it to use, is one of the few ways I have of getting a grip on what is going on and where I am at. It is also the first place I go when someone asks me to group with them for a quest that I have not heard of (which is most of them at the moment :p), and it only provides some of the information I feel I need to be able to quickly find my way and get into an adventure with other questers without making them wait too long.

Question 2: I really like the atmosphere in DDO and Hellgate London. The dungeon master in DDO also adds to the experience and pulls you a little more into the world because of the details he points out that would otherwise go unnnoticed or simply not exist because of the limitations of computer games. It is also fun to be in a world with a lot of other people. Other then those two things, there is really not that much about online games that single player or non MMO online games haven't done better. Games like Bioshock, Psychonauts, Assassin's Creed, or COD4 (especially the scene after the nuclear explosion), do such a good job of creating dramatic moments and communicating on a story level. They have such great atmosphere and personally they give me a chance to visit an entirely different world and learn things from the experiences and story they share. Online games like DDO excite me because they have so much potential to deliver vast worlds to explore and discover. If it were just about grinding levels I don't think I would enjoy it, and maybe that is one of the best features of DDO as an online game: the quests are fun and as I play I gain experience and move forward in a fairly natural way (granted I haven't gotten that far yet, but my impression from the forums is that for the most part the game doesn't devolve into a grindfest). I have a hard time praising anything about MMOs too highly though because the level of the experience has so much potential to improve, and as other games outside the MMO genre have shown, games can engage us on a level that rivals some of the best movies and books - and they are fun to play :).

Question 3: This one is easy: no, unfortunately not.

Question 4: First, I am a little suspicious. How did I get on this Island and where did this bottle come from? I have never seen a bottle with a Turbine logo on it before. Perhaps this is some kind of alternate universe where Turbine makes soda? No, I guess that is kind of a ridiculous notion.

After a few days of scraping together food I finally have a bit of shelter and I begin to forget about the things that made me suspicous of this bottle and its contents. I have no idea how long I will be stuck here so I do not want to use up my piece of paper too fast. I begin writing down some stories, little ideas that have been bouncing around in my head, but every word is carefully chosen so as not to waste what little space I have. It is tempting to write down a plea for help, but it doesn't seem likely that anyone will ever find it if I cast it adrift in the ocean. Besides, I have no idea where I am; how would they find me assuming the bottle ever made its way into someone elses hands? No, this paper is far too precious to me. Where there is little left to do to keep myself alive I enjoy sitting and dreaming of other places and then I write about the details that seem important or the places I would like to visit again later.

Question 5: Hmm, that is a tough one. I am essentially a new player. I have had some experience with the game in beta and played a little after as well, but having to start my character again after release I found it hard to be that interested in visiting the same places again so soon after I was just there. I held on to my subscription for quite a while because I really liked the feel of the game, but I didn't really play it. I had finally given up on it, giving the occassional thought to returning because of the quests and adventuring, but it wasn't until the second anniversary subscription offer that I decided the time was right to find out if I wanted to return to Stormreach. Any opportunity to save money has to be investigated ;p. Getting back into the game I think the thing that I have found hardest is trying to figure out how everything works.

I am in the process of reading the manual to find out how exactly all af my abilities affect my character and what feats, skills, and enhancements do. I had originally thought that I could jump into the compendium and find out everything that I needed to know, but it didn't seem like there was much useful information in there for anyone that didn't already understand the mechanics of the game. The manual has also been of limited usefulness. Every once in a while I run across a term or idea that is not really fully explained and I have to hunt for an explanation to be able to understand what I am reading. Those explanations don't always seem to exist or are often much harder to find then I would expect. The manual is also out of date so there is information within that I know is wrong and some that will likely confuse me when I log back in and find things are different than I expected.

Ideally all the information that I need would be accessible in the game. When I get into the worlrd of Ebberon and start to explore Stormreach I don't want to feel as if I need to jump back to the real world to figure out what something means. The real world has its places where we can find out about things, in DDO there doesn't seem to be an equivalent. The Witcher had a mechanic that I really appreciated: an in game journal where you could collect research about things that you have encountered and discovered information about. In DDO it seems you either have to try things out for yourself or start asking questions over chat that people have probably been asked countless times before. I have found that there is a lot of information available on the forums to help answer my questions, but it can be hard to sift through it all to find what you are looking for, and worse yet, I have to leave the game world to get to it.

I am not certain how useful the in game help is, but I remember it being slow and limited in content. It also wasn't much better than leaving the game as it wasn't really integrated into the gameworld as it was simply a web page style help system that opened up over top of the game. As mentioned above I also find it somewhat difficult to navigate through quests and figure out where to go in a multipart quest. These are the things that I have found difficult so far as someone newly returning to the game.

Question 6: I would have to agree with most others and say that Tell Tolero is the best option of those presented for the reasons stated in my answers to last week's questions.

Having said all of that, I am glad to be back. I find the atmosphere and sense of adventure in the game to be one of its most appealing aspects and have enjoyed all of my time back in Stormreach. I feel a little slow still but I am getting the hang of things and everyone I have had the pleasure of playing with (which unfortunately is not many yet) has been very nice and quite helpful.

Hope to see many of you in game, I spend my time on Ghallanda with my level 3 character Echaru Lunarea for now. Looking forward to some fun quests and great times with other adventurers.

SgtDante
02-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Question 1
The Auction House; you need to be able to search for specific abilities of items. Sometimes we are just looking for a little fire protection and have to wade through several pages on several items.

Question 2
Private dungeon instances.

Question 3
Yes, GenCon. Myself and a group of friends go every year.

Question 4
a teleport scroll.

Question 5
entry level solo quests designed specifically for each class. Each would cover the basics of each class to complete.

Question 6

Muppethero
02-25-2008, 02:36 AM

----I have 8 Alts and they are all Low-Mid range maxing out at lvl 7. I dont have a lot of time and finding groups is hard for me.

Question 1

----The Auction house. I really wish this was easier to use. A search function would be great. Search by stat wanted by + wanted or anything like that. I think EQ2 has one of the BEST Auction houses in MMORPG history.

Question 2
--- I love the built in chat feature here. Also the built in Controler support is really cool I like to play in bed with my 360 controller and Rock band mic 8 )

Question 3

--most likely not

Question 4

--Dear Turbine,
I wanted to let you know if you find this letter that I am about to die on a desert island even after I survived this plane crash. There are some strange rumblings in the forest and this guy who was paralyzed is not anymore. Oh yea I just helped kill a polar bear and I think i was attacked my some smog.
I will miss playing your game very much. If Comcast ever gets Hi speed internet here I will be sure to upgrade this computer I am typing numbers on every few hours so i can play again. I did want YOU to know that I wish your game had more solo Content. I know there is lots of content marked "solo" but I normally cant do it until i am 3 levels or so above it. Or if I do do it I manage to beat it only to find the Xp i got was really not worth the effort. I have played your game on and off since beta and my highest lvl is 7. Sad I know. I also wanted to let you know that your Sorcerer should get 5 spells max like they do in the PnP game. I find this limitation strange and no real reason for it.
Anyways I got to go. Theres some rumblings about the "others" and they are on there way to kill us. Hope you find this letter and know that I will be thinking about you off and on if I live.

P.S.

Don't ever fly Oceanic Air.

thanks
Andrew P. (muppethero)

Question 5
More solo content.

Question 6

"Town Hall"

[/QUOTE]

Kromize
02-25-2008, 04:50 AM
Question 1
mail

Question 2
Diablo/2 - random monster spawns

Question 3
no

Question 4
"why isnt /loc working?!"
lol, jk
really "HIRING, more people to think of good ideas for DDO!"

Question 5
a noticeable FAQ icon, with FAQ's that can be made by people in a thread here on the forums....

Question 6
"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk""Time To Talk"

CDevil
02-25-2008, 06:05 AM
Question 1

Definitely the Auction House. The bid buttons sometimes don't work correctly, it's not very easy to specify what you're looking for, and it would be nice if there was a better countdown timer for the last hour of an auction.

Question 2

The character modeling ability in CoH/CoV. It's nice to be able to customize a character's bodystyle, size, and mass in addition to hair and facial features.

Question 3

I certainly hope so! :D At the very least, I'm hoping to make it to the San Diego ComiCon this year.

Question 4

ASSISTANCE NEEDED!!!

Please send Teleport Without Error scroll (without UMD requirement) or caster with said spell memmed and in their hotbar (Requisite SP a must!).

Sincerely,
A loyal customer who can't pay his subscription fees if I'm stuck on this (expletives blacked out) island!!!
:D:D:D:D:D

Question 5

Update the compendiums!! They are SORELY incomplete.

Question 6

"Tell Town Hall"
"Tell Turbine"
"Tell The Twelve"
"Let's Talk About..."
"Time To Talk"

Eh, stick with "Tell Tolero." After this long, it would be a disappointment to change it. :D