PDA

View Full Version : Awesome bug in Darkleaf Breastplate

dameron
02-17-2008, 02:44 PM
I just confirmed a suspicion I had about a Darkleaf Breastplate I have:

http://www.dailyhaiku.com/testing/images/darkleaf.jpg

Notice the 20% arcane spell failure. (15% due to Elven Arcane Fluidity)

But look at the actual spell failure:

http://www.dailyhaiku.com/testing/images/darkleaf2.jpg

No spell failure at all. I tested it and there's not even a spell failure roll.

Pretty sweet.

While it lasts that is.

tekn0mage
02-17-2008, 03:14 PM
oh it'll be a while seeing as how i still can't climb a ladder without bouncing off the bottom rung...

seeing as how the difficulty of an adventure still shows incorrectly when entering...

seeing as how I still show STR damage icon after it's long gone

seeing as how held / stoned monsters still move/shuffle and attack

seeing as how...

Anyways, you get the drift. Enjoy it for a long time to come.

Lithic
02-17-2008, 03:21 PM
Someone check to make sure haste has a somatic component (I can't recall nor log in at this time). If it doesnt have a somatic component, then you would expect it to have zero arcane failure even in normal full plate thats been welded to your body like an iron coffin.

Now if spells with a somatic component still show zero failure, then its definately a bug.

Bloodyfury
02-17-2008, 03:29 PM
Someone check to make sure haste has a somatic component (I can't recall nor log in at this time). If it doesnt have a somatic component, then you would expect it to have zero arcane failure even in normal full plate thats been welded to your body like an iron coffin.

Now if spells with a somatic component still show zero failure, then its definately a bug.

While the compendium isn't that much reliable, I just watched there and it says somatic too for Haste.

Time to hunt for a +5 Fearsome darkleaf BP for my sorc :p

EspyLacopa
02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
While the compendium isn't that much reliable, I just watched there and it says somatic too for Haste.

Time to hunt for a +5 Fearsome darkleaf BP for my sorc :p

Why settle for Breastplate? Go for the king: Full Plate!

Dylos_Moon
02-17-2008, 03:43 PM

It does. There is only 2 ways that haste wouldn't be showing an ASF%

1. He's a Bard. (disproven by several spells on the toolbars, Cloudkill, Niacs, command undead, however he did multiclass bard as proven by the facinate and inpsire courage)
2. He's wearing Mithral Breastplate and is showing us two different pictures. (Mithral Breastplate would only require the -5% enhancement if one has titan gloves.)

If it is actually a bug, I would supect it might have something to do with the bard multiclass, and haste being on both the bard and wiz/sorc spell list, however I can confirm that my Sorc13/Bard1 still has arcane spell failure on her haste when wearing Elven Chainmail (another light armor). I'd have to have a pair of Darkleaf Breastplate (and take off my fanged gloves) to verify this.

Seeing two different pictures in the same post, rather then just 1 makes me doubtful.

Arnya
02-17-2008, 03:43 PM
I know there's darkleaf breastplates and banded mail, do they come in half and full plate too?

Nice if they do...

Bloodyfury
02-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Why settle for Breastplate? Go for the king: Full Plate!

Because I might be wrong but I don't believe you can get Darkleaf on FP, only on armors like BP, Banded Mail, etc...

And because my sorc has 22 DEX so he could also get some use of the max dex bonus ;)

Dylos_Moon
02-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Because I might be wrong but I don't believe you can get Darkleaf on FP, only on armors like BP, Banded Mail, etc...

Nope, but you can get twilight mithral, which can be decreased down to 0% with enhancements and fanged gloves, without having to worry about the ASF ever being fixed.

Bloodyfury
02-17-2008, 03:48 PM
Nope, but you can get twilight mithral, which can be decreased down to 0% with enhancements and fanged gloves, without having to worry about the ASF ever being fixed.

Yeah I know , already own a Twilight Mith FP :cool:

Just can't reset my AP to waste some of them on ASF :p

Angelus_dead
02-17-2008, 03:52 PM
2. He's wearing Mithral Breastplate and is showing us two different pictures. (Mithral Breastplate would only require the -5% enhancement if one has titan gloves.)
His gloves are visible in the screenshot, and are not from the Titan.

dameron
02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
It does. There is only 2 ways that haste wouldn't be showing an ASF%

1. He's a Bard. (disproven by several spells on the toolbars, Cloudkill, Niacs, command undead, however he did multiclass bard as proven by the facinate and inpsire courage)

If it is actually a bug, I would supect it might have something to do with the bard multiclass, and haste being on both the bard and wiz/sorc spell list, however I can confirm that my Sorc13/Bard1 still has arcane spell failure on her haste when wearing Elven Chainmail (another light armor). I'd have to have a pair of Darkleaf Breastplate (and take off my fanged gloves) to verify this.

Seeing two different pictures in the same post, rather then just 1 makes me doubtful.

It not just haste, it's all spells.

Here's a video I made going into Redfang wearing the +5 darkleaf breastplate and casting multiple walls of fire, a cloudkill and a couple of hastes. Notice that the ASF message doesn't appear.

http://www.dailyhaiku.com/darkleaf.wmv

I also tested this with my mithral heavy steel shield equipped and sure enough, 5% spell failure appears. I actually cast wall of fire until I got a result on my ASF roll between 5 -10 so the shield is acting as you'd expect.

Nice bug. I'll have to try in my +5 darkleaf banded to see if it also shows this behavior.

And to think, I snagged that piece to bank because it'll probably be great armor for druids one day.

EDIT: nope, Darkleaf Banded doesn't seem to have this particular bug (however the set I have is months old, so who knows when this bug was introduced).

BigBadBarry
02-17-2008, 08:14 PM
If you can't get your AC above 45-ish then it's not really going to help most casters this one...in high-end content mobs have +35 to +45 to hit.

Pellegro
02-17-2008, 11:25 PM
And its fugly armor to boot.

The shoulder guards appear to be attached directly to skin ...

I sold mine, altho if I had know of this I woulda AH'd it instead. =(

PhoenixRajoNight
02-18-2008, 01:48 AM
oh it'll be a while seeing as how i still can't climb a ladder without bouncing off the bottom rung...

seeing as how the difficulty of an adventure still shows incorrectly when entering...

seeing as how...

Nope exploits in the game get fixed rather quickly, anoying bugs that pull from enjoyment of the game take forever to get fixed. 2 seperate issues, and it might only be his armor as well, I had a dryden's mace with no undead bane on it, and its a named item thats suppose to have it so it might just be a glitch in the coding of his item. Either way tho you'll see this fixed sooner rather than later, because "LEET" players consider the anoying bugs just another challenge to get past and then beat us down saying "hey its part of the game deal with it or leave".

honkuimushi
02-18-2008, 03:17 AM
Darkleaf counts as one category lighter, just like mithril. But instead of the +2 to dex you get for mithril, you get +1. You also get a -2 ACP instead of a -3 and a -5%ASF instead of -10%. All in all, it's a poor man's mithril. But if you need light armor and you can't swing the 20 dex needed to max out a mithril breastplate, it's just as good.

One posibility is if haste was taken as a Bard spell. Since darkleaf breastplates are counted as light armor, there should be no ASF. Another possibility is that the Bard/ Arcane Caster combination is mucking things up. It would be interesting to try a mithral breastplate and check to see if a Bard/ Sorcerer or Bard/ Wizard rolls for ASF. If they do, it's just the darkleaf. If they don't, we have a bigger problem.

Dylos_Moon
02-18-2008, 04:56 AM
Darkleaf counts as one category lighter, just like mithril. But instead of the +2 to dex you get for mithril, you get +1. You also get a -2 ACP instead of a -3 and a -5%ASF instead of -10%. All in all, it's a poor man's mithril. But if you need light armor and you can't swing the 20 dex needed to max out a mithril breastplate, it's just as good.

One posibility is if haste was taken as a Bard spell. Since darkleaf breastplates are counted as light armor, there should be no ASF. Another possibility is that the Bard/ Arcane Caster combination is mucking things up. It would be interesting to try a mithral breastplate and check to see if a Bard/ Sorcerer or Bard/ Wizard rolls for ASF. If they do, it's just the darkleaf. If they don't, we have a bigger problem.

I can confirm that Bard1/SorcX has ASF in Mithral BP, mine wore Mith BP for quite awhile.

brshelton
02-18-2008, 05:30 AM

you could be civil...

malnon
02-29-2008, 02:34 PM
And to think, I snagged that piece to bank because it'll probably be great armor for druids one day.

What I was thinking. I pulled a nice red set last night.

Dane_McArdy
02-29-2008, 03:21 PM

seeing as how...

Oh tekky, you know they fix anything that benefits a player with a 2 day hotfix! I'm surprised at you!

Issip
02-29-2008, 04:26 PM

seeing as how...

Annoyances may stick around in this game forever, but bugs that benefit players get fixed fast. We may have to leave from the front entrance of the quests in the Vale until the day they power down the last server, but this one will make the next release, garanteed.

Vua
02-29-2008, 06:28 PM
Well I just bought a set to test it on my sorc and I'm getting an ASF roll while casting haste. I actually failed my first 2 rolls so I'd guess it's the bard levels.