PDA

View Full Version : Oh rats!

Bradik_Losdar
02-17-2008, 10:28 AM
*uses best Monty Python voices*

1st level cleric "Oh rats! as in disapointment or loss?"

1st level fighter "No, no. Oh rats! as in surprise and alarm!"

*1st level cleric suddenly eaten by four giant rats*

Heh, but seriously - I think its time rats were included in the lower level quests. Now that we have the nice graphics for giant rats in the game (see Twilight Rats in the Vale), these iconic D&D vermin should be included. Ideally I would love to see them replace about 90% of the slimes in the low level quests (because honestly there are WAY too many slimes at these levels...really).

They make perfect sense as sewer dwellers, harrasing would-be adventurers. So what do you say devs?

Hopefully...oh rats!

Kalari
02-17-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh man I was thinking about this the other night glad to see you made a thread about it. I was wondering about that too you have a harbor and sewers yet no rats? Maybe their excuse is that the humongus spiders and kobolds snack on them but id still like to see the critters running around. I already get the icky bug willies from spiders I think it would both frighten and make me laugh to see rats to but I think it would really add to the atmosphere as well. I could even imagine a kobold with a pet rat who gets upset by we stupid human types that keep killing them. I dunno I just think its a good idea ^_^

Mad_Bombardier
02-17-2008, 11:00 AM
There are no rats in the sewers because the kobolds hunt and eat them all. :p

Side note: Even in D&D, rats are animals. And the Ranger Favored Enemy icon for Vermin is incorrect.
Vermin Type
This type includes insects, arachnids, other arthropods, worms, and similar invertebrates.

Spectralist
02-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm no fan of rats, but if they're getting rid of the oozes i'm all for it!

MysticTheurge
02-17-2008, 01:24 PM
As long as they don't run quite so fast.

Those rats are, like, on speed or something.

Bradik_Losdar
02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
There are no rats in the sewers because the kobolds hunt and eat them all. :p

Hehe - those are normal rats. But with giant rats, the tables would be turned. :D

And kind of on a side note - I actually I never understood why all the slimes didn't just soak up all the kobolds down there; its not like they're buddies or anything (In reality I believe it was because the devs didn't have a broad enough monster "palette" to choose from for the sewers when the game came out. So its high time giant rats replaced most of the slimes).

Lithic
02-17-2008, 02:15 PM
As long as they don't run quite so fast.

Those rats are, like, on speed or something.

Not on speed. They are slurping up the last drops of all the thrown-away vials of potions of haste. Now if stormreach had a recycling center, maybe the rats wouldnt have access to so much haste-in-a-bottle.

cdbd3rd
02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
/Resists the urge to break into a verse of, MuskRAT Love.http://home.att.net/~cdbd3rd/lol.gif

EspyLacopa
02-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Hehe - those are normal rats. But with giant rats, the tables would be turned. :D

And kind of on a side note - I actually I never understood why all the slimes didn't just soak up all the kobolds down there; its not like they're buddies or anything (In reality I believe it was because the devs didn't have a broad enough monster "palette" to choose from for the sewers when the game came out. So its high time giant rats replaced most of the slimes).
And the lead dev at the time didn't like Rats as monsters.

sirgog
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Dire Rats would make some sense as low-level monsters.

Rog
02-17-2008, 07:20 PM
/signed

Dymond
02-17-2008, 07:43 PM
I think Dire Rats would make a great low level addition. I totally concur about slimes.. They are way overused.

McGraham
02-17-2008, 07:53 PM
If there are rats ... Indiana Jones' dad won't be able to go ... he hates rats!
Whereas, Indy hates snakes! We need Snakes too!

QuantumFX
02-17-2008, 07:57 PM
If there are rats ... Indiana Jones' dad won't be able to go ... he hates rats!
Whereas, Indy hates snakes! We need Snakes too!

But then Turbine would have to add them to high level content. And do you REALLY wanna see Snakes on a cotiminious plane?

Nevthial
02-17-2008, 08:02 PM
I just want Rat swarms. You know 100-400 at a time. :)

Hvymetal
02-18-2008, 02:45 AM
I thought Oozes were Stormreaches version of rats??????

EspyLacopa
02-18-2008, 06:25 AM
I thought Oozes were Stormreaches version of rats??????
That's cause they were.

VonBek
02-18-2008, 07:05 AM
Rat + Niac's = Ratsicle, a single use trinket which can be used to charm Kobolds.

Hvymetal
02-18-2008, 07:29 AM
Rat + Niac's = Ratsicle, a single use trinket which can be used to charm Kobolds. Swarm of Rats + Oil + Torch = Furry Fireball Spell

MrCow
02-18-2008, 08:01 AM
I just want Rat swarms. You know 100-400 at a time.

I can already nearly crash an instance by casting cloudkill in 50+ things at the same time. This would just bury the servers in a grave (although, we might then resurrect them and have undead servers :p).

MysticTheurge
02-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I can already nearly crash an instance by casting cloudkill in 50+ things at the same time. This would just bury the servers in a grave (although, we might then resurrect them and have undead servers :p).

Real swarms should be treated as a single entity anyway, though.

EspyLacopa
02-18-2008, 08:14 AM
Real swarms should be treated as a single entity anyway, though.
With a graphical depiction that implies several hundred fairly small rats.

bnrilfun
02-18-2008, 09:54 AM
swarms of rats + firewall = plenty of food to feed the masses which would probably make all teh kobolds a docile and worthy servant. Just imagine running through a mission and you hear YARK YARK!!! as your friendly sidekick warns you of impending Doom.

Hambo
02-18-2008, 10:01 AM
I may be incorrect, but isn't mod7 supposed to include some new lower level quests, to help make levelling all the new Monks less tedious? Perhaps the devs will see this thread before populating them...