PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons Myths

Kalari
02-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Or stupid associations non players attatch to the game. Have any of you guys dealt with this recently? I remember back in the day the whole "oh thats for nerds" bashing that used to come with myself and my friends playing it. But recently after talking with some of my family members, whose intelligence Ive never questioned before I got this:

Family member: Your playing Dungeons and Dragons online? Isnt that the game where people dress up then kill each other?

Another Family member: yeah I heard they form suicide cults and stuff.

((the later is funny due to the name of the guild I joined))

I proceeded to try to explain to them how wrong they were about this, and in fact how most players dont even bother to dress up since most of us use our minds or figures to display how our characters are. But this was to no avail so I finally said that sure we all like to dress up go out in the woods where we sacrifice animals to the dark gods. And on a random day sometime in the future depending on the dice rolls im going to sit at my computer hit a button that will insta kill me.

Of course this got me the strange looks ive dealt with all my life (same I get when I get happy over getting a rare comic) but I find it funny that in this day and age that people still believe in that sterotype. I dunno just wondered if anyone else has dealt with this lately.

Ghoste
02-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I've heard the stories before that too much Dungeons and Dragons turns people slowly into devils.

Pfamily
02-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Family member: Your playing Dungeons and Dragons online? Isnt that the game where people dress up then kill each other?

I'm not supposed to be wearing my armor while on-line playing DDO?
...oh heck
:p:D

Missing_Minds
02-16-2008, 11:56 AM

Another Family member: yeah I heard they form suicide cults and stuff.

You should have said. "No, you are confuseing that with WoW. DDO is a multi player computer game where people all over the country play together. yes, it is a fantasy setting, but it is fun. You should try it at some point if you like games like that. "

;) Saddly, you really won't be telling much of a lie. I've read I don't know how many articals where WoW adicts did kill each other over rare items, recked familys, etc. I've not seen any deaths caused by DDO, but I know there has to be some breakups.

Hvymetal
02-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Got one for you : Always good for a laugh (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp)

Sadly people actually believe this stuff....

binnsr
02-16-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm not supposed to be wearing my armor while on-line playing DDO?
...oh heck
:p:D

Sadly, I had a former coworker who bought a ranger outfit for playing Everquest..

Kalari
02-16-2008, 05:36 PM
Got one for you : Always good for a laugh (http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp)

Sadly people actually believe this stuff....

Now thats scary 0.0

And yeah I think I read an article last night where some woman left her husband cause he played too much WoW. If a happy medium can be found im all for it but since im single again im gonna enjoy gaming as much as I can before some guy tricks..er woos me into another relationship ^_^

Bloodyfury
02-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I've heard the stories before that too much Dungeons and Dragons turns people slowly into devils.

So wish it was true! lmao

I'd probly be a Pit fiend by now, I wouldn't mind a few millions HPs in real life and immunity to fire :D:rolleyes::D

Nevthial
02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
On occasion I do twirl, oil , or sharpen my bastard sword while doing inventory or maintenance on one of my characters. Yes, I'm a weirdo, but I DO know how to use it. Swordplay is a hobby of mine. Bought the wife a Katana last year as well. ( She just likes to look at hers though. Has no interest in using it.) We don't dress up and play however! It's just somethin' to do when bored. Kinda like pulling PMCS on our cars or my G3.

captain1z
02-16-2008, 07:19 PM
OMG people actually think thats stuff about D&D.

LOL

Makes you wonder if they ve ever played it or even seen it played.
Like Im really gunna become an elf and start casting spells.

Whos crazier.... the people who play or the ones who believe thats what actually happens.

Dont get me started on cults ............... I can turn on the TV and show you adds for at least 1/2 dozen "cults"

D&D is a hobby.

Bekki
02-19-2008, 12:18 PM
I have had more than one person tell me
that Dungeons & Dragons was for "Nerds and Geeks"...

That's aboout the time I ask them which categoty I would fall into...

I am a former MARINE! :D

dragnmoon
02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I play the game... My wife does not complain at all... but as soon as I mention I hope our kids play *when we have them* she says NOO!!!!.. that can lead to devil worship and evil... I just don't get it..

Heladron
02-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Actually I heard that people who play Dungeons and Dragons are devil worshipers.

Is that true? If so, Don't tell my priest because I'm no supposed to be playing with Devil Worshipers or Nerds.

Heladron
02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
I have had more than one person tell me
that Dungeons & Dragons was for "Nerds and Geeks"...

That's aboout the time I ask them which categoty I would fall into...

I am a former MARINE! :D

Sorry, but once you're a marine you're always a marine.

unionyes
02-19-2008, 12:38 PM
When I was in Junior High some 20 years ago, the local preachers kid who was in my class told me he used to play D+D and found that it was 'turning my mind away from Christ and the church'. He said that he burned his D+D books one Saturday afternoon and there was a faint screaming sound from the flames, along with the smoke forming images of demons as it curled up towards the sky (honestly, I am not making this up). We would play at lunchtime a couple days a week (except for intramural sports, we were all on one school team or another, so much for the nerd myth) and he would actually stand outside the closed door and pray out loud for our souls. We had to get official school club status after he and his father went to a school board meeting to try and get D+D banned from the school grounds. He was always trying to 'save' us. We used to tell him that we would have to roll at least a 12 to save vs. Hell and he would get all cranky on us.

Of course, we didn't make it easy on him. Aside from the regular beatings by the bike racks after school, we also went around saying things like 'I never put much stock in that whole Darwin thing until I started playing D+D', and 'I used to believe that Jesus was cool and all, until my level 8 dwarf appeared to me in a dream and turned me toward Odin, the one true God'. Another one that used to really get to him was 'Jesus wasn't so bad, he was probably a level 20 cleric at least, what with the raise dead and cure disease all the time. If his party would have had a decent sorcerer they could have beat those Romans easy'.

I sometimes wonder what happened to him. And then I say screw it, and go play DDO.

Kalari
02-19-2008, 12:42 PM
lol that devil stuff always cracks me up to. Now I can see where some get mixed up since ive run campaigns using books like the book of vile darkness, but those are characters who worship such things.

Its funny cause I have friends who preach that play pnp, plenty of professionals who just want to escape the everyday nonsense for an hour or two. And my ex (a Navy man) who plays and he definately doesnt fall under the nerd catorgory (doofus maybe) but not nerd.

I will say im a typical nerdy girl dont mind being so its the nerds people come to when they need their taxes done or their books balanced (hehe I rack up during this time of year).

I just cant stand the whole "people kill themselves" playing D&D stuff. Or when I say I hope my son gets into this when hes older (like another poster mentioned for his future offspring) that my family gets the heebie jebbies about it. Since when did escaping into a little fantasy mean ruining my soul eternally? some people make reality more creepier then the fantasy I run to.

Yvonne_Blacksword
02-19-2008, 12:59 PM
People who play DnD
...are nerds and geeks...told to me by a guy that remembers all the stats of every professional team sports player
...Have poor social skills...told to me by the guy that goes out with his friends, drinks till he pukes then passes out and eventually gets hospitalized for alcohol poisoning...its not just for bars anymore!
...worship devils...told to me by the guy that has no problem with speaking in tongues as long as it is in church...or alternately...baptismals for the dead or eating their god's flesh
...have poor hygene...told to me by the guy who knows how to reuse his underwear and get 4 days our of it.
...have no friends...told to me by the guy who has to beg his friends to hang out with him for even 1 hour and has to buy them drinks
...think they can cast spells and hexes on people...told to me by the guy who constantly hurls curses at people he doesn't like
...sacrifice small animals, babies and themselves to the demons they worship...told to me by the guy who hates and kills small animals, looks for ways to torture/lie to children, and defiles himself with tatoos and piercings while trying to shorten his life with too much living...
...are just wierd...told to me by the guy who sews and loves to discuss fabrics with me...to my dismay,... talks to his cat...he hates cats..his girlfriend has a cat so he got one too...so he could have the coolest cat ever..., and shows how much he cares about people by humiliating them and yelling at them...

I think my view of the world is skewed.

Brutous
02-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Well it’s not for nerd or geeks (who I may add rule the world... IE... Mr. Gates and Mr. Jobs)

I have always been an athlete (student athlete) you may call me a jock. Which I really don't take offense to.
However I always respected those who play MtG-CG & D&D simply because of the fact that it takes imagination and a level of intelligence that most people do not like to use (yes I believe everyone has the capacity to learn and play well however few use it.)

I mostly focus on imagination and the creation portion of the game, something the thinkers (nerds and geeks) are very good at.
My physics professor in HS told this once, it wasn’t just Mr. Einstein’s intelligence that led him to his theories, its was his imagination as well.

I kind of became the protector of those thinkers since I realized early on they hold something that 90% of the population doesn’t-
A proper sense of imagination with something else I will never know-

I tried to figure it out in college, but for the most part it eluded me (possibly from too many concussions during the football season)-
I get upset that certain groups of people like to attach false negative view of D&D because of people's fear of imagination and free thought (a whole other disscusion.)
In the end of the day I’m proud to be considered an equal if not just some poser who thinkers like to hang out with.

There are days I wished I just jumped in the game when I was younger-
My first full D&D PnP experience was when I was 26- So a few missed years have to be made up for.

In the end of the day I would rather create something cool and exciting instead of hanging out at some bar, party, or some meanless activity with the false sense of commaraderiship- Don’t get me wrong when the calling of sports takes a hold its where I draw my inspiration but now that I’m getting older, I feel it in my bones. Kind of like my first D&D character Desemous (fighter – expatriot of Karrnath) who now is in his 50’s in my writing and is getting older by the day- ( I think he is a lvl 20 but has been rezed 5 times once by a god who wanted him to complete a task he was sent on.)

Anyway, I’m glad that you have found this place. Fear not- you have support.

Borrigain
02-19-2008, 02:52 PM
According to CBS News this morning.......

"Geek is the new Chic"

:D

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, naysayers! (God how I miss my pipeweed days....stupid military and their drug tests...:()

Borr.

Brutous
02-19-2008, 04:05 PM
According to CBS News this morning.......

"Geek is the new Chic"

Put that in your pipe and smoke it, naysayers! (God how I miss my pipeweed days....stupid military and their drug tests...:()

Borr.

But weren't you airborne?
Didn't you get high of the ground? (pun intented)

:)

Bekki
02-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Sorry, but once you're a marine you're always a marine.

This is true...

I am still trying to get back in even though I got pushed out due to service limit's.

I had broken time, So couldn't put in for promtion in time...:mad:

nbhs275
02-20-2008, 11:00 AM
i remember painting my warhammer models in studyhall, and not worrying about it. No one really wants to be the one to call the 275 varsity heavyweight a geek.

Bekki
02-20-2008, 11:03 AM
i remember painting my warhammer models in studyhall, and not worrying about it. No one really wants to be the one to call the 275 varsity heavyweight a geek.

Nice :D

Bekki
02-20-2008, 11:11 AM
IT has always amused me how many people have
attributed Dungeons & dragons to Satan worship.

They have said the same thing about rock and roll...:D

Can anyone say OZZY OSBOURNE!!!:eek: :D

Then there is the stereotype of the 40 year old bachelor
living in his mom's basement...:D

Hvymetal
02-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Then there is the stereotype of the 40 year old bachelor
living in his mom's basement...:D Who is more likely to be a regular church goer.......

Bekki
02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Who is more likely to be a regular church goer.......

The most AMAZING thing about these, and most stereotypes
is that they tend to have almost no basis in fact.

Are there the few exceptions that MAY fit these stereo types, Maybe.

But for the most part I have to say I have met NO Demon worshipers...
and and gamed with people from every wallk of life, and alomost literally
from ages "18 to 80" And for the most part,
the have been some of the COOLEST people I have ever met! :D

I have been loving this thread!
These some of the funniest Myths I have heard in a long time! :D

Come on people speak up!!! We need More! We need more!!! :D:D:D

Oreg
02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
The most AMAZING thing about these, and most stereotypes
is that they tend to have almost no basis in fact.

Stereotypes exist because they almost all have basis in fact.

Otherwise I do agree with the rest of your post. I too have met no Demon worshipers :)

Bekki
02-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Otherwise I do agree with the rest of your post. I too have met no Demon worshipers :)

I would have to say yes and no.
Sometimes they are based fact but many times
they can be based solely on perception.

It is the perception that they may have; whether or not it MAY or MAY NOT
have a basis in fact that can drive the stereotype.

They are like rumors, they may have no Basis whatsoever.
However; in being re-told so many times they gain a belief of truth
all on their own, even though they are in fact based on imaginary facts.

However I will say this, there is a saying I have heard
and I think it can apply here.

"Perception equals reality"

Brutous
02-21-2008, 10:22 AM

Nope, not a worshiper of demons- too busy killing them for the exp and loot.

Kalari
02-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Hehe Im glad you like my thread Bekki ^_^ Heres another one that always cracks me up appearance and who is supposed to fit that whole D&D player mold in general:

Women who play D&D have been portrayed in cartoons and tv shows as hideously ugly or so obese that its not funny. Now granted im a hefty girl but if by going by what people think of girl gamers is true most of us make half orc women look like supermodels..ugh

Ive seen pics in this forums alone that counter that portrayl, yet you still see it as a standard joke for how women who play this game are supposed to look. This goes for the men to I think Bekki mention, some people assume all men who play are the 40 yr old virgin types who live in their mother's basement. What do you say to all the married men who play? Or the men who dont fit that mold whatsoever?

I dont know what the norm was for 20+ yrs ago style player for D&D but hell even the style of Nerds in general have changed. No longer do you see the pocket protector and thick aviator goggles that pointed us geeky folks out the way it was in the past. So how is it these sterotypes that Dungeons and Dragon players are all pasty faced pencil neck geeky nerds still going strong?

I for one think I break that mold (like others on here) several times with the exception of being an admitely proud nerdy type. I just love that when I say im a D&D player whether online or pnp that people stare shocked to. Most recently I had a person actually say but your Black, I didnt know black people played that game. Oh man after I glared I just laughed ignorance is becoming more and more of something for me to laugh at then raise my blood pressure on.

Talon_Moonshadow
02-21-2008, 01:06 PM
Dress up?

Most of us just sit around in our underwear! :0

Well....sweats or pajamas actually.

But hey, I'm always home where my wife can see me, and I'm sober and available to help the family as needed. (well, if I'm not in a Raid anyway)

Yvonne_Blacksword
02-21-2008, 01:59 PM
I once made a swashbuckler costume for wear around halloween...no one got it.
They kept asking me where was the lingere? Where was the pajamas?
How come I wasnt wearing pigtails, footie jammies and carrying a pacifier...
How come I wasn't exposing more flesh?
Thats a wierd cheerleader out fit!
A muska-what?
Are you a pirate? Where is your eye patch?

Now...I wear pajamas when I DDO...Specially on the weekends...Sooo much more comforable than a tabard, feathered hat and poofy muskateer pants...And I don't have a sword to get caught up in the mouse cord...

Brutous
02-21-2008, 04:42 PM
I once made a swashbuckler costume for wear around halloween...no one got it.
They kept asking me where was the lingere? Where was the pajamas?
How come I wasnt wearing pigtails, footie jammies and carrying a pacifier...
How come I wasn't exposing more flesh?
Thats a wierd cheerleader out fit!
A muska-what?
Are you a pirate? Where is your eye patch?

Now...I wear pajamas when I DDO...Specially on the weekends...Sooo much more comforable than a tabard, feathered hat and poofy muskateer pants...And I don't have a sword to get caught up in the mouse cord...

People are killing the concept of Halloween, last year my wife and I were ****ed off by this mom who was buying a french maid outfit for her 10-13 year old daughter, if that is not a mix signal and ****tty parenting I don't know what is.

Kalari
02-21-2008, 07:00 PM
People are killing the concept of Halloween, last year my wife and I were ****ed off by this mom who was buying a french maid outfit for her 10-13 year old daughter, if that is not a mix signal and ****tty parenting I don't know what is.

Ugh I never got that either, how in the world would anyone think a costume like that is appropriate for a child? Yet people who allow their young daughters dress trashy even if its a costume on halloween get treated better then some who play a fantasy game. Society has some twisted ideals man.

And im hoping to have my pixie outfit made for this halloween I love pixies ^_^

Pellegro
02-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Now...I wear pajamas when I DDO...

Post pics, or it didn't happen.

Heh.

nbhs275
02-21-2008, 07:43 PM
gotta wear sweatpants, too much leg-sticking-to-leather in shorts.

Brutous
02-22-2008, 10:19 AM
gotta wear sweatpants, too much leg-sticking-to-leather in shorts.

well at least they are not rear-less black shinny leather chaps. with bright studs and rinestones.

Xaymaca
02-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Biggest difference between DDO & PnP...Pants.

Seriously, though, the whole "dress up and kill each other" stigma was predicated from the story of some college students who did something similar. They got lost in the sewers near campus and died after playing "real life" D&D. Probably an urban myth. I tried to Google it, but didn't find anything.

Kalari
02-22-2008, 03:37 PM

Seriously, though, the whole "dress up and kill each other" stigma was predicated from the story of some college students who did something similar. They got lost in the sewers near campus and died after playing "real life" D&D. Probably an urban myth. I tried to Google it, but didn't find anything.

Wikipedia is the way to go and that whole story was a complete utter myth. And because of that myth the stigma of kids who play going into woods and offing themselves still stands. Its unbelievable that with all the media attention it got that the truth didnt come out till around now and people still choose to ignore it and believe the lie.

Heres the link to what went on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_tunnel_incident

And here is a list of controversies that wack jobs tried to instigate against the game. The first ones a doozy cause this woman actually believed the game placed a curse on her son causing him to commit suicide. Cause lord knows that well adjusted people can let a game push them to that point :rollseyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_controversies

Seriously people scare me.

Hvymetal
02-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Actually wasn;t that the plot of a movie w/ Tom Hanks? Mazes & Monsters?

Brutous
02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
I play AirSoft and .68Paintball-
I completely dress up for it, I even got a gillie suit for it (sniper camo, which leads me to believe people my mistake me for bigfoot).
Anyway- I dress up fully for it, since I don't like the pain of either one of those projectiles, one session me and about 40 people went to a buddy's land (about 125 mixed acres of wood and farmland) and play for 3 days. However about 10-20 of them were new-comers almost a soon as I stepped out of my buddy's barn they began making fun of me that I take the game too seriously (I made of comment that they must be a virgin to pain from the projectile and that I would make sure I would take good care of that problem.)

Well two hours into the first game they scoured the souther portions of the tree lines and srubs- little that they knew I was in the middle of an open field in tall grass waiting for them.

Later that night one of the "normal" people asked my why I got so into the game- I replied, its not so much that I like the game its the fact I like playing the game and I like no having to deal with the pain associated with the game by not being prepared.

I think they kind of were taken back by my answer and from then on out they understood that people who are prepare may be ridiculed but at least we are not in pain.

I think its incendents like this that makes people who are complacent with that way "is" (90%-95% of the world population) do not like seeing prepare people and they may mistake what we do are fanaticism, or out right crazyness and they start their myths about things they don't understand or have very little knowledge about.

I don't know, even when I go boating with my buddies, normal people look at me weird cause I'm prepared and I don't drink. sigh....

Borrigain
02-22-2008, 04:58 PM
But weren't you airborne?
Didn't you get high of the ground? (pun intented)

:)

Why yes I was......and in light of the "pun"

"Put on your boots, boots, boots,"
"And parachutes, chutes, chutes..."
"We're going up, up, up...."
"We're coming down, down, down...."
"We're All American and proud to be,
for we're the soldiers of liberty,
some fly their gliders to the enemy
others are sky paratroopers"

Though we enjoyed changing the words to.....

"We're throwing up, up, up...."
"We're burning in, down, down...."
for we're the lawn darts of liberty,
some crash their gliders into the enemy,
others are skyshark paratroopers"

Super-dooper para-trooper, Hooah!
Borr.

Brutous
02-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Why yes I was......and in light of the "pun"

"We're going up, up, up...."
"We're coming down, down, down...."
for we're the soldiers of liberty,
some fly their gliders to the enemy
others are sky paratroopers"

Though we enjoyed changing the words to.....

"We're throwing up, up, up...."
"We're burning in, down, down...."
for we're the lawn darts of liberty,
some crash their gliders into the enemy,
others are skyshark paratroopers"

Super-dooper para-trooper, Hooah!
Borr.

Excellent.

Snoggy
02-22-2008, 05:02 PM
Wikipedia is the way to go and that whole story was a complete utter myth. And because of that myth the stigma of kids who play going into woods and offing themselves still stands. Its unbelievable that with all the media attention it got that the truth didnt come out till around now and people still choose to ignore it and believe the lie.

Heres the link to what went on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_tunnel_incident

And here is a list of controversies that wack jobs tried to instigate against the game. The first ones a doozy cause this woman actually believed the game placed a curse on her son causing him to commit suicide. Cause lord knows that well adjusted people can let a game push them to that point :rollseyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_controversies

Seriously people scare me.

Lest we forget ... those stigmas and urban myths were so rampant, that a TV movie got made back in 1982:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084314/

Young Robbie Wheeling (Tom Hanks) plays the Mazes and Monsters game with his friends. They're everything to him; a refuge from his family and the heartbreaks of reality. One day, as he and his friends undertake their first live-action roleplay, Robbie's mind snaps; in that instant, he takes on the simple personality of Pardue, his cleric character in the game. He vanishes, and Lieutenant Martini (Murray Hamilton) suspects foul play, whether accidental or intentional, on the part of his fellow players... until Robbie, in one brief moment of clarity, calls home from distant New York. Returned home, he returns to being Pardue, now safe in the arms of his friends and family, who pray he will someday return to normal.

That's right, before life was like a box of chocolates, Forrest Gump was a misguided, out of his mind D&D player who succumbed to this evil "role playing game" and no longer could discern fantasy from reality!

;)

Kalari
02-22-2008, 05:03 PM
I hear ya Brutous, its the same for those who just enjoy cosplay as well. There has to be something wrong if you like to dress up as a character. And I cant stand those who goof on people who actually prepare for paintball or any battle tactic. I have friends who participate in action games of combat with swords who dress the part. Those who go to Renfest who dress the part, or anime/comic cons who like to enjoy themselves and dress the part. I never seen what the big hubbub is about people who get enjoyment out of that or why they have to be labled to enjoy such things. Id much rather be dressed appropriately while swinging a sword then to be the poor fool who gets sliced trying to be badass.

The only time I do get aggrivated is when they cant switch off, I have one friend who after a festival takes about a good week or two to get out of character lol.

Premier
02-22-2008, 05:12 PM
My friends and I always try to classify historical figures and current living famous people. Like Ronnie James Dio, he's definitely an Epic level Bard!

Brutous
02-22-2008, 05:35 PM
My friends and I always try to classify historical figures and current living famous people. Like Ronnie James Dio, he's definitely an Epic level Bard!

? James Dio?

Kalari
02-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Lest we forget ... those stigmas and urban myths were so rampant, that a TV movie got made back in 1982:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084314/

That's right, before life was like a box of chocolates, Forrest Gump was a misguided, out of his mind D&D player who succumbed to this evil "role playing game" and no longer could discern fantasy from reality!

;)

I read about that movie to I cant believe that people could actually believe that you can get so lost in the game that you forget that its not real. But then again it was the 80s and some of us are still trying to understand why we dressed the way we did back then LOL

Bekki
02-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I read about that movie to I cant believe that people could actually believe that you can get so lost in the game that you forget that its not real. But then again it was the 80s and some of us are still trying to understand why we dressed the way we did back then LOL

OUCH! :eek:

That reminds me of a story about Everquest (TM.)
Wherein A guy so wrapped up in the Game
(To the exclusion of all else)
Trades all of his stuff to another player who then logs out of the Game
"Stealing" all of his stuff!
This individual so distraught over this then proceeds to Kill himself.
As the story goes his body was discovered several days later.
I do not know if this story had any merit but it got NATIONAL attention.

So the idea that people can believe that people
can get THAT involved is Not so far from the truth.

I said earlier that "Perception equals Reality!"

And D&D has long been the brunt of many myths and misconceptions.

Something to think about.

Just my 2Cp's

Scarsgaard
02-25-2008, 01:25 PM
I once joined a PnP group that had advertised at a store.

So I get to their place and it was 2 girls and 4 guys in a dark room... all fat n'pimply, my age and yet freakishly horrendous... and there they are chain-smoking, drinking pop and yattering...

...all I could think was... oh my gawd... these guys are a bunch of freaking stinky nerds!

It's funny but everyone that I played D&D with was a partying athlete and then I discovered that the stereotype actually had some truth to it.:eek: Needless to say, I didn't come back... and haven't played PnP since :(

Brutous
02-25-2008, 02:09 PM
I once joined a PnP group that had advertised at a store.

So I get to their place and it was 2 girls and 4 guys in a dark room... all fat n'pimply, my age and yet freakishly horrendous... and there they are chain-smoking, drinking pop and yattering...

...all I could think was... oh my gawd... these guys are a bunch of freaking stinky nerds!

It's funny but everyone that I played D&D with was a partying athlete and then I discovered that the stereotype actually had some truth to it.:eek: Needless to say, I didn't come back... and haven't played PnP since :(

I guess I lucked out, the only chain smoker was my DM- (he has good reason for that) the first group I joined was a seasoned DM with 4 seasoned DM playing I and this other guy who went through characters like the DM went through Newports where the newbies.

Scarsgaard
02-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I guess I lucked out, the only chain smoker was my DM- (he has good reason for that) the first group I joined was a seasoned DM with 4 seasoned DM playing I and this other guy who went through characters like the DM went through Newports where the newbies.

LOL...

Honestly though I miss the Ol'PnP sessions... been years since I was forced to DM, and since that instance I've discovered that MMORPGs are so much better for my imagination and social comfort zones...

nbhs275
02-25-2008, 11:25 PM
LOL...

Honestly though I miss the Ol'PnP sessions... been years since I was forced to DM, and since that instance I've discovered that MMORPGs are so much better for my imagination and social comfort zones...

I would love to be able to get a PnP group together, hell, even if i have to DM. I do love making very detailed maps...

Brutous
02-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I would love to be able to get a PnP group together, hell, even if i have to DM. I do love making very detailed maps...

tried DM-ing once-
Even had a labtop and use my buddies plotter for the maps----
freaking party kept going of chart-
sigh...

baddax
05-08-2008, 09:43 AM

There was a movie based on that back in the 80's anyone remeber it or its name? Think it was made for TV so might be hard to find. And from what i remember one person did die but not sure how. maybe lost in sewers or something. Regardless to me people who "flip out" over DnD, DDO or just life in general are a time bombing whating to go off and it has nothing to do with the game.