PDA

View Full Version : Complete Updates: Complete Warrior

CrazySamaritan
02-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Okay, a Weekly (or so) thread about 3.5 books, and the crunch/fluff they can bring to DDO.
Obviously, most of these things are not desired until all the Developers can finish Core Rulesets like the Monk and Druid. But, being forward looking is important. Some of these things may be easy (relatively) to code, and get processed immediately. Others might require a year or more of work. In such cases, I think the Developers and their Bosses would be interested in what the forum community thinks of what is offered by each publication.

This thread is about the Complete Warrior book.
Classes
Hexblade
A 1/2 caster class with 1/1 BAB. It has several per/day abilities as a supernatural ability.
These abilities are based on the idea of a 'curse'. As the game is currently, either the named monsters would be immune to it, in which case the curses should be an area of effect, OR it remains single-target, and the curse is used almost exclusively on Named Monsters.

Samurai
Another 1/1 BAB class, this one focused on Broad Sword and Short Sword combat style. Also with Special actions to boost her attack and intimidate enemies.
Concepted as a Samurai, I see no reason why this needs to be in the game. However, with some figurative re-naming, I think the special abilities (excluding the Daisho prof) could be a useful addition to the melee groups of DDO.

Swashbuckler
Dex/Int based 1/1 melee combatant. I find this VERY necessary, for the number of rogues that end up in melee in the game's current environment. At the very least, some of the abilities would be nice if they were made into feats/Rogue special abilities.

Feats:
Certain feats are not going to be reasonably programmable, like those that use rules we won't have, like grappling, or AoO, or ki strikes.
I won't even mention the ones I find impossible to include, but other posters should feel free to correct me, if they'll argue their point.

Arcane Strike
At first glance, too difficult to code, but really, why would you be choosing a spell level of 1, unless that's your highest level spell?
All it will cost is SP, which can trigger based off of the current highest spell level. Okay, it's probably much harder than I think, but for anyone trying to play the arcane trickster without PrCs, this will be useful (and terrific for the bard warchanters)

Dash
A feat that gives me stackable 5% striding? Yes, please!

Extend Rage
If this feat isn't in already, there's enchancements that cover it pretty well. The same goes for Extra Rage, and Extra Smiting.

Eyes in the Back of Your Head
I don't like the feat. We have fortification items, and I think that covers the concept behind the feat very well. No need to make flanking rules more complicated.

Faster Healing
Very little use in DDO, but I can see a few barbarians wanting to pick it up.

Favored Power Attack
Again, I don't think this needs to be in.

Fists of Iron
When stunning fist is added in, this should be as well.

Freezing the Lifeblood[u]
As above.

[u]Greater Resiliency
Increase Barbarian DR or WF DR by one? Only once? Probably not a first pick for everyone. Enchantments do a better job, maybe?

Greater Two Weapon Defense
Uh... maybe? TWF has several issues, and someone who is experianced at it should comment on this feat.

Hamstring
Already in game, different pre-reqes, but nicer effect, too.

Improved Combat Expertise
Dunno if this will be considered needed or not. I think its already incorporated in CE, but someone else would have to tell if I'm right or wrong.

Improved Favored Enemy
Why not? This should be able to be included right now, unless there's an issue it would create with Fred (like if you switched Favored Enemies after taking this feat). Maybe it could just apply to all favored enemies, but only add +2 to damage?

Improved Rapid Shot
Yes, Please.

Improved Toughness
Already have it in-game, the Toughness feat incorporates it.

Intimidating Rage
Maybe I should just skip feats that are already incorporated as enhancements?

Kiai Shout
Seems fun and balanced to me. The only problem is that we aren't often facing enemies that have lower HD than us. :(

Prone Attack
Those of us with low balance skills would love this ability. Maybe remove the pre-requisites, though?

Throw Anything
Maybe? I think the Devs could make this feat fun with a free 'returning' property, perhaps a penalty on attacks, since this would give us the aability to throw them. From what I've seen of the throwing weapons, I doubt this will make it in.

Weakening Touch
Pretty useful, I think. Needs stunning fist before we can have it, though.

Zen Archery
Please, please, pretty, please?

Divine Feats are mostly done in Enhancements, and should continue that way.
Divine Cleansing Seems to be the same as the enhancement to remove poison.
Divine Might Probably shouldn't be added, as the only version I can think of that wouldn't not work is an area buff to party members.
Divine Resistance Again, no.
Divine Shield If it is just a temporary boost to your AC, fine.
Divine Vigor Maybe just temporary HP to target, 1 for every point of charisma.
Sacred Vengeance I prefer the AoE damage to undead we currently have, which could still use some boosting.

Spells
Phantom Threat
I think it could be programmed if the goal was to make the monster cowered, instead of flanked.

Items
Axeblock & Spearblock & Hammerblock are all in the game already; Three cheers for the Developers!

Explosive
Make every target an explosive barrel! :D

Bracers of Dawn
A nice random drop, although I don't see too many people trading for many.

Next 'week', Complete Divine!

Tenkari_Rozahas
02-15-2008, 03:28 AM
actually, the samurai is a bastarsword short sword, not broad sword... a katana is considered a masterwork bastard sword.

Samurais would be perfect for those who enjoy using bastard swords simply ebcasue they dont have to blow a feat on proficiency.

Aesop
02-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Just a note Improved Rapid SHot techinically is already incorporated into Rapid SHot (removes the -2 to all shots). Now if it was incorporated to further increase the RoF of Bows then I'd be all for it.

Improved and Greater Two Weapon Defense: Sadly the design choice behind TWF is hugely Feat intensive for questionable relative return. Something I hope is fixed in 4.0... but yes these should probably be put in.

oh I I think some of the divine feats should be incorporated as Feat some as enhancements and some as both. The Enhancement only versions hurt MC options a bit and takes away form the diversity that I crave in my DnD

ViVid7th
02-15-2008, 07:13 AM
Just a note Improved Rapid SHot techinically is already incorporated into Rapid SHot (removes the -2 to all shots). Now if it was incorporated to further increase the RoF of Bows then I'd be all for it.

Improved and Greater Two Weapon Defense: Sadly the design choice behind TWF is hugely Feat intensive for questionable relative return. Something I hope is fixed in 4.0... but yes these should probably be put in.

oh I I think some of the divine feats should be incorporated as Feat some as enhancements and some as both. The Enhancement only versions hurt MC options a bit and takes away form the diversity that I crave in my DnD

Personally, I find the TWF line to have a good return for it's feat cost. It's the offshoot TWF lines, like TWD, that are feat hogs with little return. Ambidex, TWF, ITWF, GTWF, PTWF, and Improved Buckler Defense. 5 Normal feats, one epic, for 3 extra attacks and retaining your shield bonus to AC.

Properly build, a TWF'r can reach the same AC as a Sword and Board style while dual wielding.

And I'd love to see some PrEs come from Complete Warrior, though I doubt it will happen.

CrazySamaritan
02-15-2008, 02:33 PM
a katana is considered a masterwork broad sword.
My issues of translations aside, I've been writing this post a bit high on the PC censer, since I can't even use the right name in the Character Bio, last time I checked. Also note that there's no such thing as a Broad sword in the books.

Ambidex, TWF,
This is the same feat now :)
I am of the opinion that getting TWD should open up an AC chain, that only functions when you have two weapons equipped. I think I forgot to mention that in the OP.

I can kinda see your point, certainly with regards to the multiclass issue. For my part, I think the Defenders of the Faith book had better options for the divine feats than Complete Warrior. Still, there's Complete Divine, which will have better feats.

ViVid7th
02-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Should have stated, I was comparing the return in PnP. The group I play with uses old 3rd with house rules, so Ambidex and TWF are two separate feats...

The Feat return is still their imo in DDO, for less feats even. What would be nice is getting Improved Buckler Defense, it would make fighters more viable by increasing the feats available and forcing those without fighter levels to pick and choose more, rather than getting almost everything worth having.

Invalid_86
02-15-2008, 09:12 PM
As cool as they are would Samurai really be appropriate in Stormreach? Especially is player character quantities? Ditto for Ninja?

captain1z
02-15-2008, 10:25 PM
As cool as they are would Samurai really be appropriate in Stormreach? Especially is player character quantities? Ditto for Ninja?

ninjas are cool anywhere. Even Santa has ninjas help him for xmas. Santa was in fact trained by ninjas.

villainsimple
02-15-2008, 10:36 PM
ninjas are cool anywhere. Even Santa has ninjas help him for xmas. Santa was in fact trained by ninjas.

Nun>Gunslinger>Pirate>Ninja

It's true.

Invalid_86
02-15-2008, 10:41 PM

So that's how he gets in and out of people's houses without being seen!

MysticTheurge
02-16-2008, 12:49 AM

Yes.

There are a lot of examples of societies in Eberron that would fit the samurai backstory or the ninja backstory.