PDA

View Full Version : Mass Charm Monster Was Working Fine

Rastawiz
02-12-2008, 11:55 AM
Mass charm monstser was working fine. I have been using it everywhere since the update, and I have never seen a problem with it. So it seems like a nerf to casters in my opinion. If a dev reads this thread I would like to hear what the problem was if there really was one, or was the real reason that devs thought this spell was too powerful in its current form. I do not think the spell was too powerful for a level 8 spell. The level 8 spells have been the most lack luster spells, and the last thing level 8 spells needed was a nerf.

Oreg
02-12-2008, 12:17 PM
Well.

One issue was that Sorcs could not choose it.

Eladrin
02-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Mass charm monstser was working fine. I have been using it everywhere since the update, and I have never seen a problem with it. So it seems like a nerf to casters in my opinion. If a dev reads this thread I would like to hear what the problem was if there really was one, or was the real reason that devs thought this spell was too powerful in its current form. I do not think the spell was too powerful for a level 8 spell. The level 8 spells have been the most lack luster spells, and the last thing level 8 spells needed was a nerf.
We're not going to explain exactly what was wrong with it, but it wasn't actually working fine.

Freeman
02-12-2008, 01:01 PM
Every time you cast the spell, it dropped the level of all chests in your current instance two levels. It wouldn't take many castings until you were only pulling potions and gold :p

Dariuss
02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Every time you cast the spell, it dropped the level of all chests in your current instance two levels. It wouldn't take many castings until you were only pulling potions and gold :p

so.. about normal for me then :)

Arnya
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Out of curiosity...

Did many (or any) of them ever make their saves before or after being charmed?

ebt-dnd
02-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Seemed to me like they made their after charm saves better than with charm monster. ie. I'd charm them, but it wouldn't last as long as Charm Monster. Still, it was fun roaming around with 20+ monsters in Gianthold. Of course, I can do that anyway with mass suggestion and charm monster.

dameron
02-12-2008, 03:14 PM
We're not going to explain exactly what was wrong with it, but it wasn't actually working fine.

Why not?

Since it's never going to be in the game in that fashion again, why not?

It's not like people are going to go back in time and exploit something.

Bradik_Losdar
02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Well.

One issue was that Sorcs could not choose it.

Hehe - oh you mean like wizards and all the missing spell scrolls so they can't scribe most of the new spells...

Heaven forbid the sorc class was missing something! I can see why the Devs made this a priority. :rolleyes:

ebt-dnd
02-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Why not?

Since lower DC's and such wouldn't be a game stopper, I'm assuming it went the other way and you could charm things you couldn't ordinarily charm. Like maybe GM's or something... :) It's pretty obvious why they wouldn't want to talk about that in case it happens again. "Mr GM, if you really liked me you would solo this raid boss for me".

ViVid7th
02-12-2008, 04:40 PM
Why not?

Quite likely from the rumors I was hearing about the spell, it was coded like Cure Crit, Mass. That means that it would have been treated as though it was a beneficial spell, ignoring immunities, SR and no saves, ever. That means non intelligent mobs and reds were likely being affected.

And remember that I am purely speculating. I may have portals, so I may know things, but I don't know anymore on this than any other player.

Rastawiz
02-12-2008, 05:10 PM
It never worked on unintelligent mobs, red names, or undead. It had to make a SR check and save check. Mobs would save from it, and they would get their saves to snap out of it too if they were charmed. I never saw any exploit, or anything out of the ordinary with this spell. And I used it very often, it was one of my favorite spells. The only thing that I ever noticed was that I had a salt mephit that never broke charm before it got killed, and I had it for long time. But I had other mephits that broke free, and just because I had it a long time doesn't mean anything other than that mephit just couldn't roll a 20 before it died.

Based on Eldarin's vague response, I am going to read into that they think it was too powerful. Who knows maybe there was something wrong, but I don't know why Eldarin couldn't tell us if its already been fixed. Other than the reason they don't want to admit to having to bring out the nerf bat.

Akhad_Durn
02-12-2008, 07:14 PM
Based on Eldarin's vague response, I am going to read into that they think it was too powerful. Who knows maybe there was something wrong, but I don't know why Eldarin couldn't tell us if its already been fixed. Other than the reason they don't want to admit to having to bring out the nerf bat.

I can see why he wouldn't explain. I'm sure people are testing for exploits with every release turbine makes. They're using knowledge of where and how previous exploits worked to find the new ones. Why would he provide information on how to locate future exploits which their QA didn't find. I think this is also why exploits aren't allowed to be talked about on the forum, it just doesn't lead to anything good for Turbine.

Jay203
02-12-2008, 07:19 PM
more like you can't cast it the same way as mass-suggestion
mass charm monster requires a target in the orb and the spell centers on the target rather than you cast it in an area

EMDEN
02-12-2008, 08:27 PM
hmmmm, just got that scroll, need to check it out :)

JFeenstra
02-12-2008, 10:16 PM
hmmmm, just got that scroll, need to check it out :)
its no longer an aoe spell, but a single target one

Mad_Bombardier
02-13-2008, 11:07 AM
"The three saddest words, I ever did view
was this woeful listing: Charm Monster II."