PDA

View Full Version : The Power of Cheese.

Brutous
02-06-2008, 07:45 PM
One day when I was making dinner I got entirely upset that I did not have the right cheese. I was thinking of substituting mozzarella for some provolone but then it hit me. I wouldn't taste the same. Then it hit me again, I'm a cheese snob.

Has this happen to you?

Falco_Easts
02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
I buy my cheese in a 1kg generic brand block from the local supermarket. Does that make me cheese trailer trash?

Dariuss
02-07-2008, 01:43 AM
I buy my cheese in a 1kg generic brand block from the local supermarket. Does that make me cheese trailer trash?

clearly it does :)

i make it a point to keep as many types of cheese in the house as possible.... at a minimum i have:

mozza
havarti
feta
goat
brie
medium cheddar
smoked gouda

Ghoste
02-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I'm a cheese snub. I'll eat cheese if someone prepares a meal for me with it, but I've never cared for the taste.

Uska
02-07-2008, 02:52 AM
Meh me I only like pepper jack and most of the time I dont even eat that.

Brutous
02-07-2008, 05:28 PM

Don't think so, I say you are potential convert to the Holy Power of Cheese.

Brutous
02-07-2008, 05:29 PM

i make it a point to keep as many types of cheese in the house as possible.... at a minimum i have:

mozza
havarti
feta
goat
brie
medium cheddar
smoked gouda

I like to make lime chiken quesadillas with green & red bell peppers with a mix of mozza, goat, and cheddar-

Cayrie
02-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I've never met cheese I didn't like. I love cheese and will eat it on almost anything, and love having it as a snack. Medium cheddar is a staple. But oh, the taste of Smoked Fontina...best pasta ever...*drool drool*.

If I like all cheeses, does that make me a cheese ho?

Gypsy_Mouse
02-07-2008, 05:57 PM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/loldog-funny-dog-pictures-mai-cheez.jpg

Mai cheez! If you take it away, I'll bite!

Brutous
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM
I've never met cheese I didn't like. I love cheese and will eat it on almost anything, and love having it as a snack. Medium cheddar is a staple. But oh, the taste of Smoked Fontina...best pasta ever...*drool drool*.

If I like all cheeses, does that make me a cheese ho?

No, it makes you a cheese expert and lover of the dairy industry.

Brutous
02-07-2008, 05:59 PM

"Remove cheese at your own risk."

Borrigain
02-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm a huge fan of Kraft Mac-n-Cheez.

Does that make me a 5yr old?

:D

Borr.

P.S. and cheese goes great with..........

BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Brutous
02-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm a huge fan of Kraft Mac-n-Cheez.

Does that make me a 5yr old?

Borr.

P.S. and cheese goes great with..........

BEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

No, it only means that you enjoy simplicity and goo like cheese........... W/ Beer.
However, I would like for you to get some shells (pasta) and melt your own cheese mix, then add pan seared beef kilbasa with red bell pepper, with one chooped up jalapeno. Trust me...
oh ya.. w/beer...... (preferable a dark stout)

Daegyl
02-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Smoked gouda with some thyme FTW.

Mix asiago and parmesan cheeses with heavy cream, and bake with some already cooked linguini. Easy as pie to make.

Oh noes... now I went and mentioned pie. :eek:

Lawrence_V._Sullivan
02-10-2008, 01:28 PM
im a member of the cheese of the month club......does that make me a cheese dork?

xanvar
02-10-2008, 01:33 PM
Cheese pie? Sounds good but where to start?

Cayrie
02-10-2008, 01:49 PM
im a member of the cheese of the month club......does that make me a cheese dork?

OMGZORS, there's a club!?! I demand a link immediately!

EKKM
02-10-2008, 02:02 PM

mozza
havarti
feta
goat
brie
medium cheddar
smoked gouda

bah medium cheddar, for the serfs and plebians ;)

Currently:
5 year old cheddar
3 year old cheddar
Mozza
block of parmasan (try this if you haven't, puts the powdered cheese product to shame)
Raqulette
smoked gouda

Brutous
02-11-2008, 11:06 AM

No, it makes you a bold and exciting individual who enjoys the variety of life.
I am a member too.

Brutous
02-11-2008, 11:10 AM
bah medium cheddar, for the serfs and plebians ;)

Currently:
5 year old cheddar
3 year old cheddar
Mozza
block of parmasan (try this if you haven't, puts the powdered cheese product to shame)
Raqulette
smoked gouda

Ah a man of refined tastes and deep pockets.

Oreg
02-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Cheese snob as well. Have a buddy who did his Masters thesis on cheese. Needless to say when we all get together - he brings the cheese.

Brutous
02-11-2008, 11:20 AM
OMGZORS, there's a club!?! I demand a link immediately!

http://www.cheesemonthclub.com/
Expensive but you get 1.5 lbs of premium cheese a month.
http://www.artisanalcheese.com/products.asp?dept=1015
Really expensive but I know of a few small restuarants that uses this service (they get a different pricing)
http://www.beermonthclub.com/cheesegifts.htm
Just for you Borr.
http://www.cheesesupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/375
The best deal so far.

Brutous
02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
Cheese snob as well. Have a buddy who did his Masters thesis on cheese. Needless to say when we all get together - he brings the cheese.

The Power of Cheese Gives a Master Degree, ever so sweet to hear.

ChaelaAnne
02-11-2008, 11:22 AM
See, I LOVE cheese, but I don't know about these smoked cheeses. They are just TOO smokey for my tastes.

Brutous
02-11-2008, 11:30 AM
See, I LOVE cheese, but I don't know about these smoked cheeses. They are just TOO smokey for my tastes.

Smoked has a place in my cooking- I used it mostly for Chiles Rellenos (for thos who don't speak Spanish Bell peppers or Green Chilles) but let me tell you I swear by this- add bacon (cubed up or panchera) already cooked to the cheese when making the refill- oh dear mother of the heavens and all that is pure.....

ChaelaAnne
02-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Also, another note for cheese lovers... if you are EVER in the Cincinnati area, look up Jungle Jims grocery store. They have the biggest, most well stocked cheese selection that I have ever seen. In fact, if you combine all the different cheeses I've ever seen, and multiplied them by 10, they have more cheese then that.

Pfamily
02-11-2008, 11:38 AM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/loldog-funny-dog-pictures-mai-cheez.jpg

"Remove cheese at your own risk."

I believe that would be "not-cho cheese"
ahem...

Borrigain
02-11-2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.cheesemonthclub.com/
Expensive but you get 1.5 lbs of premium cheese a month.
http://www.artisanalcheese.com/products.asp?dept=1015
Really expensive but I know of a few small restuarants that uses this service (they get a different pricing)
http://www.beermonthclub.com/cheesegifts.htm
Just for you Borr.
http://www.cheesesupply.com/product_info.php/products_id/375
The best deal so far.

Thanks man. I'm looking at it now. :)

"Behold the power of cheese!"

Borr.

Cupcake
02-11-2008, 12:03 PM
A fine aged extra sharp cheddar

and provolone are my favs.

Brutous
02-11-2008, 01:10 PM
A fine aged extra sharp cheddar

and provolone are my favs.

Ah yes they are good... much better melted in a blackforest ham paninni (sour dough bread) - hmm think I may make one today.
Here tell me how does this sound.

1 1/2 inch sour dough bread, lightly coated with spray on unsalted butter spray. (both sides)
Dijon mustard, two healthy slices of provolone, black forest ham, lightly grilled onion, with bits of bannan peppers, and somethings else which I haven't figured out yet.

Cupcake
02-11-2008, 01:16 PM
Ah yes they are good... much better melted in a blackforest ham paninni (sour dough bread) - hmm think I may make one today.
Here tell me how does this sound.

1 1/2 inch sour dough bread, lightly coated with spray on unsalted butter spray. (both sides)
Dijon mustard, two healthy slices of provolone, black forest ham, lightly grilled onion, with bits of bannan peppers, and somethings else which I haven't figured out yet.

Sounds good to me but I will take turkey instead please.

Oreg
02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Brutous,

You seem like a connoisseur so I will share my favorite with you. May you enjoy in ecstasy

P'*** Basque - Truly my favorite without spending a fortune.

edit *** it wont let me put that in there. How sad. Anyway it's P' T I T Basque with the first 4 letters together

Brutous
02-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Brutous,

You seem like a connoisseur so I will share my favorite with you. May you enjoy in ecstasy

P'*** Basque - Truly my favorite without spending a fortune.

edit *** it wont let me put that in there. How sad. Anyway it's P' T I T Basque with the first 4 letters together

There was a reason for the cencorship-
my French is limited however- I dig what you said.
Saddly I think I have been married for too long to know it.

Now back to the Cheese.

unionyes
02-12-2008, 05:31 PM
Dude, you are totally a cheese snob.

I have three kinds of cheese in my house. Cheddar (or 'orange' cheese), Mozzarella (or 'white' cheese), and whatever you would want to call that sludge in the bottom of the half empty whipped cream carton from Thanksgiving (that's Canadian Thanksgiving, so October sometime). Oh yeah, and the sliced individually wrapped stuff that my kids like.

The Italian dude at the place I get coffee from most mornings is always going on about this cheese or that cheese. When he is really excited about some kind of cheese that he just got in, I say make me something good with that cheese on it. He makes me a sandwich, I like it. I never ask what kind of cheese he used, he never says. I guess what I am trying to say here is that I don't need to be a cheese snob, I got one at the coffee place.

Brutous
02-12-2008, 06:09 PM
Sounds good to me but I will take turkey instead please.

Hmm turkey... would smoked shredded turkey with a heavier dijon mustard would work?

Brutous
02-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Dude, you are totally a cheese snob.

I have three kinds of cheese in my house. Cheddar (or 'orange' cheese), Mozzarella (or 'white' cheese), and whatever you would want to call that sludge in the bottom of the half empty whipped cream carton from Thanksgiving (that's Canadian Thanksgiving, so October sometime). Oh yeah, and the sliced individually wrapped stuff that my kids like.

The Italian dude at the place I get coffee from most mornings is always going on about this cheese or that cheese. When he is really excited about some kind of cheese that he just got in, I say make me something good with that cheese on it. He makes me a sandwich, I like it. I never ask what kind of cheese he used, he never says. I guess what I am trying to say here is that I don't need to be a cheese snob, I got one at the coffee place.

There is nothing wrong in outsourcing you cheese need knowledge. Just as long as the coffee guy takes care of you cheese need I'm happy. Support your cheese need.

Pellegro
02-12-2008, 06:37 PM
I <3 Cheese !!!

TOTW ... definitely TOTW

Brianius
02-13-2008, 12:45 AM
beside oveweight what does eating 5 lbs of mozzarella 2 pounds of fetta and a pound of colby make me =) when im feeling frisky i buy stinky cheeze

Brutous
02-13-2008, 10:42 AM
beside oveweight what does eating 5 lbs of mozzarella 2 pounds of fetta and a pound of colby make me =) when im feeling frisky i buy stinky cheeze

It would make you a happy person... happy indeed.

Yajerman01
02-13-2008, 10:50 AM
i love all kinds of cheese, jack, cheddar, moz, prov....... the list goes on and on but one cheese that cannot be substituted for me is when it comes to parmesan. I cannot put that dried out parm in a green can on any of my pasta, now for my kids sure because that means more real parm ,that i grade, is for me and my wife.

on a side note, a good fontina goes nice with a dry white wine or red, but the question is when does it go from a wine and cheese party to a cheesy wine party?

Thoreg
02-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Muenster friggin' rules!

Hvymetal
02-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Bah!!! Everyone knows that with Shells and Cheese Little Smokies are obviously superior:)

Fizzit
02-14-2008, 05:40 AM
beside oveweight what does eating 5 lbs of mozzarella 2 pounds of fetta and a pound of colby make me =)

constipated?

Brutous
02-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Cheese cake.....
That is all.

arminius
02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
If you are ever in NYC, Chanterelle has the best cheese tray (and the best sommelier in North America so they combine FTW).

Artisanal is also nice, and has a very wide selection. I find the restaurant too loud tho.

_

Brutous
02-14-2008, 01:37 PM
If you are ever in NYC, Chanterelle has the best cheese tray (and the best sommelier in North America so they combine FTW).

Artisanal is also nice, and has a very wide selection. I find the restaurant too loud tho.

_

Loud in what way, a loud restuarant with the noise comming from the patrons is a good thing. From the staff a bad thing.
Sometime in 2009 I will be traveling to NYC to go to EU - (Visiting some places and family of her's) - I think the wife and I will make a 2 day layover to check some places out and including restuarants, does Artisanal have expectations of their patrons?

Brutous
02-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Okay here it goes:

My wife has been sick since tuesday she is getting better (thank the heavens.)
So in an effort to comfort her with comfort food I asked was what she wanted this weekend-
Oddly enough she ask for sloppy joes

So I made some sloppy joes with ground beef and some dried onions and a can of manwich-
So I ate one and she had one- put the left over away- during my mad need to game on saturday night I took some of the left over sloppy joe and added some taco seasoning mix and some taco cheese mix put in the nuker for 3 mins- then added some green peppers mushrooms and olives- topped it with some sour cream and I tell you folks...

DANG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!

It was the best dip ever-