PDA

View Full Version : Bards, Mod6 and into the future

chemonz
02-04-2008, 10:40 AM
So, I am enjoying Mod 6 and think that Turbine has done a good job with this mod.

However, after playing my Bard for awhile there are a few things I would like to see changed. First, the inspire heroics song only effects one ally (or the bard) per song. I realize this is how it is in PnP but inspire greatness is also supposed to be this way in PnP but is implemented for the whole party in DDO. I think inspire heroics should also be the same way, especially since the +4 to saves doesn't stack with other things like greater heroism.

Also the spell list for Bards at level 6 spells is rather meager to say the least. Really, there are only 3 level 6 spells for bards as the mass uselessness line of spells (bulls, cats grace etc.,) may as well not be there. I have not leveled my bard to 16 yet but Greater shout and irresistible dance seem like good spells, and mass cure medium certainly could be useful.

My worry is that unlike other classes bards really will be much closer to their end level 20 potential at level 16 since they get no more spells after level 6 spells and very few songs or abilities either. Basically bards get mass suggestion at level 18, not that great a song as we already get the spell, and another +1 to inspire greatness at level 20.

I would like to see more spells added to the spell 6 list for bards, such as dirge or even hold person, mass. I realize the latter is not a PnP bard spell, but IMO it should be in DDO. Bards get it as a spell in NWN2, which requires WotC approval just like DDO, and in CRPG where things are so combat heavy I think Bards need some extra punch to be effective.

DasLurch
02-04-2008, 01:09 PM
I agree. Hold Person is a level 2 spell. Hold Monster is a level 4. Mass Hold Person ought to be a 6th level spell for bards. Mass Charm I feel ought to be a level 5 just for measure. I'd also like to see a Mass Blur spell added for us "Guitar Heroes" to throw around as well. If the Dev team wanted to take a look at bumping up some of the power of Soundburst as well, I'd go along with that too.

EinarMal
02-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I agree 100% with this, Bards need more spells. Many levels, despite limited slots, there are filler spells you just take and barely ever cast.

We also need tier 2 of the specialty enhancements. How hard is it to add warchanter/spellsinger II?

MysticRhythms
02-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Technically we have an improved version of Soundburst - Greater Shout.

I look at Inspire Heroics as a mana saver. The main reason you want to Greater Heroism a tank is so he gets the save bonus. The attack and damage is coming from your songs anyway. So sing them an extra song and save yourself some Greater Heroism mana. Granted, they won't get a nice +4 to Intimidate checks, but it's not the end of the world and hopefully the 4 AC makes up for it.

Don't forget that your saving throw and skill progression are maintained with Bard levels and so is the strength of your spells. Every Bard level adds six seconds to Haste and Displacement and a caster level to a Spell Penetration roll.

Give them time and I'm sure they'll implement many of the cool spells from the various compendia for Bards out there.